Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

teflon....is it worth it ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 07:56 AM
needlez2006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default teflon....is it worth it ??

The dealership offered a teflon coating and scotch guard interior with detailing and all the good stuff for 500 extra, they said the teflon will last 5 years without having to wax the car once. is the teflon coating and scotch guard interior really worth it, i want eveyones oponion, thanks !
Old 06-03-2003, 09:05 AM
alphared

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the seats are already scotch guarded and i've never heard of a teflon coating on the car's paint before. I thought teflon was black, maybe for a underbody coat.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:37 AM
franklinz

Default Re: teflon....is it worth it ??

Originally posted by needlez2006
The dealership offered a teflon coating and scotch guard interior with detailing and all the good stuff for 500 extra, they said the teflon will last 5 years without having to wax the car once. is the teflon coating and scotch guard interior really worth it, i want eveyones oponion, thanks !
they can also add an atmoshperic turbo charger for an added 200 dollars, do yourself a favor and pass on all things the dealer tries to push on you.
accessories, and bs add-ons from the dealer are 100% profit to them.
franklinz
Old 06-03-2003, 12:10 PM
Brad4rdHay

Anytime ou see TEFLON advertized for a car wax, keep walking. TEFLON has to be bakes essentially at around 700 degrees for it to properly bond. Complete waste of money.
Old 06-03-2003, 06:51 PM
DmitryZ

Default Re: teflon....is it worth it ??

Originally posted by needlez2006
teflon!!!!

hahahahaha

they are ripping you off!!! damn scumbags.

don't waste your money. Use $100 bucks to buy some zaino and save the rest for upgrades.

Dmitry

P.S.
When is this #$$%%^ god damn rain going to end so I can zaino my car? Pisses me off. The weather is sh*t every weekend and its always sunny on monday. grrrrrr.
Old 06-03-2003, 07:18 PM
Drumtemp

I went with the added detail job ($395) mainly because of the warranty. However, I'm hearing (reading) different stories from different folks who are repeating what their dealers are appearently telling them--so far, there's no consistancy. Not a real surprise!

If I had to do it over again, I probably wouldn't take it. BUT, having said that, none of the boutique waxes and protectants carry any type of warranty at all (as far as I'm aware).

What I can say with certainty is that my 1990 red 240sx has been out in the weather for the past 5 years, gets automated wash and wax about once every 2 months, and the finish is still very fine. So, yea, maybe save your money and just take care of the car (interior & exterior) and all should be fine.

Oh, and NO, I don't take the Z to the car wash--that baby gets washed by hand...MINE!
Old 06-03-2003, 11:19 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you pay more or less for them to wash and wax your car, as quickly and crappily as possible. more or less PAYING them to put swirl marks into it.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:04 AM
Ryde

I went with the highest priced pickup option...they offered like, wash n wax for free...then some 'options' as in environmental packages/etc etc. I only went with the highest because of

1. if the interior gets 1 stain...they replace all the carpeting/leather for 5 years.
2. if the exterior rusts (which it shouldn't because I'm storing it in the winter and won't drive in the rain [avoided as much as possible]) for 10 years, they'll take care of it.

I just wanted extra protection cause mines an investment, not just another vehicle. And the more expensive option which was close to 800$'s for me...for 5 year interior/10 year exterior protection is well worth it.

*edit*

When the put the environmental package on...I've noticed some yellow crap in some spots especially in the door where the hinges are and in the hood where the hinges are...pretty much any spot where rust might occur. But it looks like ***? Anyone else have that? Can I remove some of that yellow crap? I know I shouldn't get rid of all of it cause thats prolly whats gonna repell the water but in the engine bay some of it pooled up where the plastic's are that stop rain from gettin into the engine...and its turning a crap lookin brown. Yuck

Last edited by Ryde; 06-04-2003 at 06:08 AM.
Old 06-04-2003, 06:56 AM
franklinz

Originally posted by Ryde
I went with the highest priced pickup option...they offered like, wash n wax for free...then some 'options' as in environmental packages/etc etc. I only went with the highest because of

1. if the interior gets 1 stain...they replace all the carpeting/leather for 5 years.
2. if the exterior rusts (which it shouldn't because I'm storing it in the winter and won't drive in the rain [avoided as much as possible]) for 10 years, they'll take care of it.

I just wanted extra protection cause mines an investment, not just another vehicle. And the more expensive option which was close to 800$'s for me...for 5 year interior/10 year exterior protection is well worth it.

*edit*

When the put the environmental package on...I've noticed some yellow crap in some spots especially in the door where the hinges are and in the hood where the hinges are...pretty much any spot where rust might occur. But it looks like ***? Anyone else have that? Can I remove some of that yellow crap? I know I shouldn't get rid of all of it cause thats prolly whats gonna repell the water but in the engine bay some of it pooled up where the plastic's are that stop rain from gettin into the engine...and its turning a crap lookin brown. Yuck
if it wasnt there before you agreed on the environment package, then they must of added it for the protection.
however id take it back and demand they clean it up some.
this is an interesting warranty though, does the rust on the exterior policy cover EVERYTHING on the outside, or just the body??
franklinz
Old 06-04-2003, 07:48 AM
POWERZ

Originally posted by Brad4rdHay
Anytime ou see TEFLON advertized for a car wax, keep walking. TEFLON has to be bakes essentially at around 700 degrees for it to properly bond. Complete waste of money.
If by Teflon you mean "the product used to coat cookware" then yes, it will do nothing. However Teflon as a brand name is being used to denote many products these days and cannot be instantly dismissed as a waste of money based solely on the Teflon name. Different types of Teflon are being used in household chemicals, fabrics, carpets, etc. and are certainly not the same chemical or process used to coat pans.
Old 06-04-2003, 08:51 AM
Brad4rdHay

I realize, and I while I am a detailer, Im not the expert chemist, but one of my freinds is. Hes been a detailer for 30 years and a chemist for a comapny that makes detialing products...he deals with auto manufacturers and paint supliers all the time. He has repeated over and over that Teflon protectants are a joke. They were a fad for a while, but are slowly being fazed out of most over the ocunter products. Dealers love to use that though cause its has an importnant ring to it.

Just tell your dealer not to touch your damn car...go home wand wash and wax the car yourself...properly. Read the deatailing sessions I wrote up a while ago in the deailing forum. They are long but invaluable.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:39 PM
woogemooge

isn't rust covered by a 7- or 10-year nissan warranty against rust?

anyway, how can a car be an investment (if it ain't one of those old classics or those cars produced in limited quantities)? cars are depreciating assets that lose value every year.

Originally posted by Ryde

*edit*

Old 06-05-2003, 12:33 PM
peptidbond

General rule of thumb when dealing with dealer applied "coatings, protections, and other things":

If you can't see it when its applied, then how do you know they applied it at all?

If you ever listen to car talk, you are pretty familiar with this saying. All those under body protecting sprays and the like are junk if applied at all. So, unless the dealer is willing to let you watch the install, you see the product and verify it is not water, AND you know the product is worth it, don't bother (or even laugh in their face.

peptidbond
Old 06-06-2003, 12:39 AM
joust75

My dealer threw in teflon coating for free. It was absolutley worthless! I am glad I did not pay for it. you are much better off with Crystal Guard!
Old 06-08-2003, 10:36 AM
Drumtemp

Originally posted by joust75
My dealer threw in teflon coating for free. It was absolutley worthless! I am glad I did not pay for it. you are much better off with Crystal Guard!

How was it worthless?

Did you file a claim, or something? The "teflon" is warranted.

What's better about CG?