Notices
Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Too the guys with the aerocatch hood pins!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM
surfer05rdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too the guys with the aerocatch hood pins!!!

Hey guy i was wondering if anyone else had a rust problem with the aerocatch hood pins bolts. The little bolts that hold the pins to the hood are starting to rust. The hoodpins havent even been on for a week yet and they are rusting bad. If so what can i do to take away the rust with out taking them back out of the hood. I was thinking bout taking some black finger nail polish to touch it up lol
Old 03-04-2009, 06:40 PM
got556

media blast everything and use some duracoat paint. I do this to a lot of guns I own lol and it holds up well.

Or you can try Norrells gun finish which is tougher than duracoat but does require oven time.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by got556
media blast everything and use some duracoat paint. I do this to a lot of guns I own lol and it holds up well.

Or you can try Norrells gun finish which is tougher than duracoat but does require oven time.
well i was wondering if there was anything to do that doesnt require me to take the bolts back off the hood
Old 03-04-2009, 07:05 PM
got556

Whoops...just saw you didn't want to remove them. Hmmm....mask off the areas of hood around the bolts and coat. Then allow to dry, leave out in the sun all day when it's warm or use a heat gun carefully (as to not mess up the paint on the hood). This should suffice. But you're still gonna have to sand/blast the rust off the pins/bolts/catches. Once again, going back to my gun hobby, there's a lot of rust removers for guns that work wonders (but be careful w/ the paint).

That's the only solution I can think of w/out taking it to a body shop and having them do it. BTW why don't you want to remove them?
Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 PM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by got556
Whoops...just saw you didn't want to remove them. Hmmm....mask off the areas of hood around the bolts and coat. Then allow to dry, leave out in the sun all day when it's warm or use a heat gun carefully (as to not mess up the paint on the hood). This should suffice. But you're still gonna have to sand/blast the rust off the pins/bolts/catches. Once again, going back to my gun hobby, there's a lot of rust removers for guns that work wonders (but be careful w/ the paint).

That's the only solution I can think of w/out taking it to a body shop and having them do it. BTW why don't you want to remove them?
I dont want to move them cuz it was a pain to get them on and i know if will be a pain to get them off and back on. Thats why i was thinking bout trying to paint them on the car but i didnt know what type of paint will hold up with the rust coming back thru. But thanks for the idea will keep the gun hobby thing in mind
Old 03-04-2009, 07:41 PM
white_sg

not trying to be a dick at all but its "to" not "too". Legit question though. GL.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:49 PM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by white_sg
not trying to be a dick at all but its "to" not "too". Legit question though. GL.
are you serious!!!! Thanks
Old 03-04-2009, 08:45 PM
davidmcc

I know it might be a PITA to take them back off and then reinstall them but if you try to halfa$$ things they'll look...well, halfas$ed. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to prep and paint the the bolts while still on the hood. Not only would they probably continue to rust but you'll likely mess up your hood in the process.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Your best bet would be to try to find some stainless steel bolts at a local hardware store to replace them with.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:47 AM
surfer05rdr

Originally Posted by davidmcc
I know it might be a PITA to take them back off and then reinstall them but if you try to halfa$$ things they'll look...well, halfas$ed. It would be EXTREMELY difficult to prep and paint the the bolts while still on the hood. Not only would they probably continue to rust but you'll likely mess up your hood in the process.

There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. Your best bet would be to try to find some stainless steel bolts at a local hardware store to replace them with.
Yeh thats what im thinking bout doin just sucks you pay all that money for some aerocatch hood pins then week late the parts already start to rust