Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not for the Faint of Heart

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 11:43 AM
LeMansZCa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW... this is awsome... thanks for the info and ideas!!!
Old 09-24-2003, 01:49 PM
thackattk

Hey Yoonakron,
The first kits they sold did tend to rest against the a-pillar but they have corrected that problem.

JPizzle, to answer your question, you shouldn't have any problems with your door falling as they are supported by high pressure gas shocks. But keep in mind that there is always a possibility that anything mechanical will fail, ie: the gas shocks busts a seal. I wouldn't plan on letting kids play with the doors or stand under them. If by chance the gas shocks ever fail they are easily replaced and covered by warranty. Don't worry, you'll love the doors.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:02 PM
JPizzle

I think that problem was found in knockoffs...
Old 09-24-2003, 10:18 PM
yoonakron

JPizzle, both you and thackattk are correct. As long as there are gas schocks AND with proper installation, the doors shouldn't fail. I'm not certain how the other kits are, but my gas shocks are hidden within the fenders. Here's a pic of the actual mecahnism, before installation:

Please excuse the quality of the pics. These are scans of actual photos.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:21 PM
bz8

Any pics of mechanism after installation, meaning finished product. Thanks!!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:24 PM
yoonakron

And here's a pic of the mechanism install with the 2 gas shocks:

Note that unsightly white, plastic wiring harness. They had to basically extend it out from behind the chassis, but they just kind of left it hanging there. The shop that did my custom door panels sort of re-integrated it back into the chassis. I'll try to take pics of that later.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:26 PM
yoonakron

bz8, I haven't forgotten about those other pics you asked for either! I'll take some pics of the area surrounding the mech pretty soon!
Old 09-24-2003, 10:41 PM
yoonakron

Here's a before & after shot, so you get an idea of what the fender area looked like before the install:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Essentially, the shop had to "sink" the mechanism into the chassis, because the space between the fender & chassis was so small. The mechanism sits on a 1-inch thick block of steel. They needed to cut an opening to lay the mechanism flush with the rest of the chassis.

Initially, I had concerns with the structural integrity of the car, but the shop assured me there'd be no problems. And since it's welded on, it should be alright. The part they cut out was a thin slice of metal anyhow. Besides, if something happens, I'll just go back to the shop with a shotgun!
Old 09-25-2003, 07:39 PM
hypersonicaz

A few questions for you, if you don't mind:

1) What is the reason for welding this kit's components on, as opposed to Decah's bolt on method?

2) How does the new leather covering on your doors compare to stock? The stock dimples seem to work well with the interior; does the leather exude a high-quality look?

3) I asked thackattk this as well in his thread, but how well should the doors seal in time (assuming they seal perfectly now)? Will they still be perfect ten years from now?

4) How easy/difficult is it to adjust how far out the doors open before swinging upwards? Time?

5) Can your doors be returned to stock?

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2003, 09:45 AM
BlueDragonZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by saint
I'm sure you've got lots of people doing some mental math trying to figure out how they're going to swing the money for this cool mod!

- s a i n t -
You got that right. I think if I stop eating 5-6 times a day I will save some major bucks.

Question in regards to the gas shocks.... how long is the longevity of these things? I know that it would depend on how you take care of it and all but roughly how many year(s) is the life expectancy for the gas shocks? This will probably the first mod that I will do but I do like 45 degree angle that the Carxs kit gives you. Not too crazy about the full 90 degrees even though it looks AWESOME.