Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suede Headliner {Pics}

Old 03-01-2010, 03:33 AM
dkmesa350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nismo_nate
painted fabric? does it smell awful? i think i may want to do this project as well since i'm doing my trunk with carbon fiber fabric right now.

how much was the suede btw? looks like a fun weekend project
No, smells less than painted plastic...smell faded rather quickly.

$11.99 per yard from Hancockfabrics.com
Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 AM
*ICE*

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Alborz11
Anyone try a leather headliner?
you dont you be the first?

but seriously, leather is a lot heavier than suede/carbon fiber fabric, I dont think it would hold up very well and will eventually sag in time. I should have wrap my headliner in carbon fiber fabric instead, the material is very stretchy and flexible to work with than the suede I got from the store.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:47 AM
dkmesa350z

ICE- so if there is any glue that bleeds through the suede, you can spray WD-40 directly on the surface and it wipes off without harming the material? I didn't have any oversaturation, but just for reference's sake.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:19 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by dkmesa350z
ICE- so if there is any glue that bleeds through the suede, you can spray WD-40 directly on the surface and it wipes off without harming the material? I didn't have any oversaturation, but just for reference's sake.
Spray WD-40 on a towel and wipe any glue off with that towel. It works like magic!! It was an accident discovery that led to success lol

anyways got done wrapping my A-pillars with carbon fiber fabric. The suede material I got from the local store wasn't stretchy enough for those big curves. Turn out really nice Will install them tomorrow.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:24 PM
SuperBlack350z

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ice, Great job! everything looks great. i wish you were local, i would pay you to do it.

btw, if you don't mind answering, how much was the fabric you bought and how much of it did you buy in feet?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:50 PM
BhashaZ

Looks good Ice! In the pictures it looks like your painted plastic pieces are a lot darker than the suede. Is this the case in person too? The cloth on the visor (now black) seems to match the suede pretty well, at least in the pictures you took. In any case, I'm curious to see the end result!

By the way, are your visors on the wrong sides?
Old 03-01-2010, 08:22 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by SuperBlack350z
Ice, Great job! everything looks great. i wish you were local, i would pay you to do it.

btw, if you don't mind answering, how much was the fabric you bought and how much of it did you buy in feet?
It was $14/yard at local store. Bought 5 yards. I still have 3+ yards left, enough to do the headliner and other stuff. If you want, I'll sell it to you for cheap

Originally Posted by BhashaZ
Looks good Ice! In the pictures it looks like your painted plastic pieces are a lot darker than the suede. Is this the case in person too? The cloth on the visor (now black) seems to match the suede pretty well, at least in the pictures you took. In any case, I'm curious to see the end result!

By the way, are your visors on the wrong sides?
Yea it paint match perfectly. I changed my camera's white balance around so it look lighter in the first pic. Second pic is the correct shade. And yes, my visors were on the wrong side! No wonder they didn't fit perfectly lol. It's weird to visualize how they would look upside down..
Old 03-02-2010, 02:15 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Visor Wrap > Visor Paint...

Name:  DSCN1348.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  59.3 KB
Old 03-02-2010, 03:09 AM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
any pic of the other side? Looks really good.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by *ICE*
any pic of the other side? Looks really good.
All I've got and I'm too lazy to go and snap better ones...

Name:  DSCN1365.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  42.7 KB

Name:  DSCN1368.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  DSCN1347.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  52.0 KB

Name:  DSCN1331.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 03-02-2010, 07:27 AM
dkmesa350z

That looks great, but for me an hour's labor to spray them was a much better option than paying an upholsterer or trying to wrap them myself and them look like crap.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 AM
deezz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely taking my visors to an upholsterer. That looks 100x better than the spray paint. Although the paint doesn't look awful, just the matching visors really bring out the liner.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:00 AM
labelworkshop75

Kwame what material did you use for the headliner. Did it have a good stretch to it. I want to do this but as mentioned earlier, I believe that a good stretchable suede will make for a nicer and easier install. Also who did you visors. The wrapped visors look better than the painted ones, but painted does not look bad either. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 AM
labelworkshop75

Has anyone wrapped the headliner in that CF Fabric everyone is now getting into. I would love to see a pic of that.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:13 PM
*ICE*

Originally Posted by labelworkshop75
Kwame what material did you use for the headliner. Did it have a good stretch to it. I want to do this but as mentioned earlier, I believe that a good stretchable suede will make for a nicer and easier install. Also who did you visors. The wrapped visors look better than the painted ones, but painted does not look bad either. Thanks for the info.
wrapping the visors in suede is difficult because there is no side where you can tuck and hide the extra material, you have to cut the suede to the exact shape, all the way around corners and the other side.. I dont even use the visor much since I have tint strip on the front windshield so not too worry about it.

Has anyone wrapped the headliner in that CF Fabric everyone is now getting into. I would love to see a pic of that.
you should try that. Its much easier to do. Send PM to "somebody" for some CF fabric material.
Old 03-02-2010, 02:26 PM
Kwame

It's faux Alcantara. I would have gone with the real stuff but I was told it was unavailable at the time. My stereo shop in Connecticut wrapped it all when they did the rest of my install.
Old 03-02-2010, 06:42 PM
labelworkshop75

o yea I would never attempt to wrap the visors myself. Anyone on this forum do upholstery work. It would be great if I could just get someone to wrap my visors.

Still wanting to wrap the headliner. Might get suede from Joanne Fabrics but the stuff there is not stretchy at all. MUST FIND STRETCHABLE SUEDE
Old 03-02-2010, 06:49 PM
*ICE*

o yea I would never attempt to wrap the visors myself. Anyone on this forum do upholstery work. It would be great if I could just get someone to wrap my visors.

Still wanting to wrap the headliner. Might get suede from Joanne Fabrics but the stuff there is not stretchy at all. MUST FIND STRETCHABLE SUEDE
you just need to be handy with a small knife and relive the stretch around corners
Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 AM
LLL'sZ

Did you do that yourself or send it to a shop?
if you did it yourself, how?
if you sent it how much? (if you don't mind me asking)

thanks!

looks GREAT!
Old 03-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by LLL'sZ
Did you do that yourself or send it to a shop?
if you did it yourself, how?
if you sent it how much? (if you don't mind me asking)

thanks!

looks GREAT!
It was done by my stereo shop when they installed the rest of my sound system. I think the headliner and visor removal, re-installation, reupholstering and painting of all the attachments set me back somewhere around $350 total including materials.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Suede Headliner {Pics}