Sponsored by:

DDM HID 55w Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
dooba

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DDM HID 55w Upgrade

Hey everyone!
I ordered a kit from DDM Tuning with a 55w slim ballast. Yesterday I attempted to install this with no luck.

So my problem is that I have no way to plug into this ballast from the stock wiring harness. The ballast has a 9006 plug and I do not know what the factory plug is. So my options are...

1 - Buy a 9006 adapter and splice it into the factory wiring running to the factory ballast.

2 - Buy both a 9006 and a factory matching plug and create a conversion adapter so if necessary it can be easily reverted back to the factory ballast. This is my ideal option.

So does anyone know what type of plug this is??? (See pic - Taken from some random craigslist ad.)

THANKS!!
Attached Thumbnails DDM HID 55w Upgrade-ballast-pic.jpg  
Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 PM
dooba

Here is a 9006 adapter that DDM sells but would require splicing into the factory wiring OR buying the appropriate adapter to plug into the factory harness.

As seen in this next pic from DDM... I need to find a plug to take those wires and be able to plug them into the connector coming from the vehicle that would otherwise normally plug into the above picture.
Attached Thumbnails DDM HID 55w Upgrade-wire-pic.jpg  

Last edited by dooba; 04-12-2010 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Added pic
Old 04-12-2010, 02:47 PM
eddogz

Why didn't you get the fully compatible one for our car? Just curious cause I ordered from them and it was plug and play.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:53 PM
dooba

Did you have halogen headlights before? Because you would probably have then had a 9006 connector that just plugged right into the new ballast...

I am unable to find any kit specifically for the 350Z's with HID's from the factory. I also spoke with a lady on the phone there and she pointed me towards that adapter...
Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

DDM is the chit, I have their stuff on my bmw and dads cx-7. For the price, they are awesome.

See if these help you at all

http://www.3 5 0 z -tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:HID_Conversion

https://my350z.com/forum/7720399-post38.html
Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 PM
dooba

Thanks for the links. The other forum post helped a bit but of course the pics I was really interested in were blurry, haha.

It looks like I will be splicing into the wires that are currently running to the factory ballast... I ordered 2 of these: eBay Link

DDM looks like decent stuff but we'll find out once its plugged in!
Old 05-28-2010, 10:09 AM
JRSport018

Any updates on this? I was planning on going with DDM 55w as well. What kelvin did you go with btw?
Old 05-29-2010, 10:59 PM
dooba

Yah, I have mine all installed right now and work great. Doesn't seem to be as great of an upgrade as I was hoping for. Not sure what bulbs were installed prior to me buying the car though...

I am running the DDM Slim Ballast 55W with 5000K for the HID's and the Silverstar Ultra 4300K H7 bulbs.

Coming from the car harness there is a black and red wire which go directly to the stock HID ballast. I cut just enough back from where they go into the stock ballast that if I ever needed to re-use the stock ones I could. I also left the connector plugged into the stock ballast for future use. I then took the wiring harness I bought from eBay (link above) and cut off the end connector with extra slack wire and spliced the lines together as you can see in the pic. I did not do any extra grounding as I assumed it would have been done prior to this stage in the car. I then had to cut a hole in the back of the white cover and plugged it all back together.

Hope this makes sense! So far I have been running this way for about a month. The passenger side HID would intermittently work but this past week have had no issues - Sometimes would have to turn lights on/off two or three times to get them on... If the issue comes back I'll take it apart and switch the bulb/ballast with the other side and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails DDM HID 55w Upgrade-dscn2029.jpg   DDM HID 55w Upgrade-dscn2030.jpg  
Old 05-30-2013, 08:31 AM
Jbakes727

I did the same exact set up as you. However I am having a problem where only sometimes one headlight will stay on. If I turn them off and on it sometimes comes back on but most of the time it doesn't. Sometimes it stays on for 45 minutes and other times only 5 minutes. Honestly I'm sick of dealing with it. I still have my cut stock connectors. How could I set it up to where it's OEM again because OEM worked all the time. Any help is much appreciated thanks.