Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk wont open smoothly?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 02:18 PM
cr8zyjap07

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trunk wont open smoothly?

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I am a total noob to the 350z world.

When I try to open my tunk I have to press the button once to pop it and press the button like 3 times pulling upwards on the trunk to open it. Is there a fix to this? or is my latch just broken? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
MinG MinG

sAME HERE~~~
Old 10-07-2010, 03:53 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm assuming you have a coupe and you're talking about the hatch.

There are springs on either side of the hatch to pop it open when you press the button. There's a thread describing how you can take the spring apart and insert coins or washers to increase the tension. See post #40 here:

https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance...ing-fix-2.html
Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^i've done that when i had the issue, and it got back just after about a month.. not the best solution, but a good one till u get better springs or change the dampers.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

The rear hatch release on the 350z coupe works well when the car is new and the weather is not too cold. After owning the car for awhile or when the weather turns cold, some owners report that the hatch does not pop open when pressing the release on the key FOB or the manual release.

The problem can be either the springs that pop the hatch upward, or the struts that support the hatch while it is open.

The springs are enclosed in a rubber casing, and are easily (no tools required) and inexpensively replaced.

The struts that support the hatch door have a minimal “lift strength.” In fact you need to replace these struts if you mount a spoiler on the rear hatch, or you use the car in cold weather.

The strut is to the left of the spring in this picture.

If you are having a problem opening your rear hatch door, first check the hatch springs. If one or both appears to be bent, replace the springs as a pair (replace both springs). Replacing the springs is easy and does not require any tools. You just twist and remove the old ones, and insert and twist to install the new ones.

Note: Do not use the “penny fix” posted on this Forum since it is at best a temporary fix; and at its worst, it can damage the sheet metal on your hatch.

If replacing the hatch springs does not solve the problem, you need to replace the struts that lift and support the hatch. You need “heavy duty” struts designed to lift the hatch when a spoiler is mounted on the hatch. Here is an example:

http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=917372

To repair this in my car, I replaceed both the springs and the struts.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

i need stronger springers + dampers.. are you using those posted^?

i was thinking of ordering mine from z1auto (Adam)
Old 10-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Spike100

^^ The website I posted for the struts is only an example meant to show what you need. I replaced my struts about 4 years ago with ones I found on eBay.

You can order the struts from several different sources. Just make sure you buy struts that will support a spoiler mounted in the rear hatch. This type of strut will support the hatch in any weather.

The springs (if you need them) are also available from several sources.

Note: If you mount the stronger struts on a hatch w/out a spoiler, it requires more force to close the hatch. But, the better struts work well and hold the hatch open in colder weather.

--Spike
Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 PM
Lefix

Originally Posted by Spike100
The rear hatch release on the 350z coupe works well when the car is new and the weather is not too cold. After owning the car for awhile or when the weather turns cold, some owners report that the hatch does not pop open when pressing the release on the key FOB or the manual release.

The problem can be either the springs that pop the hatch upward, or the struts that support the hatch while it is open.

The springs are enclosed in a rubber casing, and are easily (no tools required) and inexpensively replaced.

The struts that support the hatch door have a minimal “lift strength.” In fact you need to replace these struts if you mount a spoiler on the rear hatch, or you use the car in cold weather.

The strut is to the left of the spring in this picture.

If you are having a problem opening your rear hatch door, first check the hatch springs. If one or both appears to be bent, replace the springs as a pair (replace both springs). Replacing the springs is easy and does not require any tools. You just twist and remove the old ones, and insert and twist to install the new ones.

Note: Do not use the “penny fix” posted on this Forum since it is at best a temporary fix; and at its worst, it can damage the sheet metal on your hatch.

If replacing the hatch springs does not solve the problem, you need to replace the struts that lift and support the hatch. You need “heavy duty” struts designed to lift the hatch when a spoiler is mounted on the hatch. Here is an example:

http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=917372

To repair this in my car, I replaceed both the springs and the struts.

Hope this is helpful,

--Spike
So the penny trick might damage the hatch metal? Then what should we do to "fix" the hatch prop problem?
Old 10-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Spike100

Originally Posted by Lefix
So the penny trick might damage the hatch metal? Then what should we do to "fix" the hatch prop problem?
Just follow the instructions I provide in my message you quoted in your posting. The result/solution is 100% reliable, and you will never damage your car when following the steps I describe.

Please forgive me if I misunderstood your question.

--Spike
Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 PM
cr8zyjap07

bringing this back from the dead, I did look into changing those springs but now the hatch wont open. Tried to open it with the emergency string but mine is missing!