Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

380RS Pedal Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010 | 05:29 PM
jimgary5390

Default 380RS Pedal Question

I just installed the 380RS accelerator pedal on my '06 Base Z, using the two OEM plastic peices (sold seperately) since the pedal alone will not fit a Base model. After installing, I noticed that the pedal is able to slide to the left and right by about 5 millimeters. I'm pretty confident it's caused by the pedal itself because the plastic clips seem to fit snug with the aluminum rod that the pedal attaches to. Does anyone else have this problem with the pedal fitting loosely?

Also, my accelerator pedal naturally sits back about an inch farther than my clutch and brake pedals. I would think it's easier to heel-toe downshift if it didn't sit back so far. Is the pedal on all the other models sunken in like this also?
Old 09-20-2010 | 05:40 PM
Steve-O Z33

Sounds like you may have an issue there. Gas and brake should be about even. It's the clutch pedal that sticks up. When I put pedals in my car, I just drilled holes in the existing stuff. That was the only way to get them to feel solid.
Old 09-20-2010 | 06:05 PM
Emski

Yes the gas pedal is suppose to be farther back than the brake.
It is easier to heel-toe under hard braking than "normal" street driving. This has been discussed before.
Old 09-20-2010 | 06:21 PM
Steve-O Z33

^Probably a better response. I was too lazy to go look and I never really paid attention to the pedals. I THOUGHT mine were close to being level.
Old 09-20-2010 | 07:09 PM
xzotklr

PICS???!!!!!....
Old 09-20-2010 | 07:37 PM
Flo-ridaZ33

I did the install on my Tourning so I didnt need the base, but mine is solid... no shifting at all. So it seems like you may have a slight problem.
Old 09-20-2010 | 09:21 PM
dcains

The brake pedal sits higher because there's some free travel which is taken up when you depress the pedal. My '08 is also a base, and my 380RS pedal is also a bit loose. One these days when I'm not feeling so lazy I'll put a piece of shrink-wrap tubing on the bottom section of the throttle rod, and I think that will build it up enough so the pedal fits tightly. I've also got the OEM metal pedals on the brake and clutch, but I'd be happier if the brake an throttle pedals were closer together. I'm used to my Alfa Spider's, where the brake and throttle are very close.
Old 09-21-2010 | 04:05 AM
jimgary5390

Originally Posted by dcains
The brake pedal sits higher because there's some free travel which is taken up when you depress the pedal. My '08 is also a base, and my 380RS pedal is also a bit loose. One these days when I'm not feeling so lazy I'll put a piece of shrink-wrap tubing on the bottom section of the throttle rod, and I think that will build it up enough so the pedal fits tightly. I've also got the OEM metal pedals on the brake and clutch, but I'd be happier if the brake an throttle pedals were closer together. I'm used to my Alfa Spider's, where the brake and throttle are very close.
Well at least I'm not the only one with this issue, but it still doesn't make sense to me that the Base model seems to be the only one with this problem. I'm going to make a video either this morning before work or tonight when I get home so everyone can get a better idea.
Old 09-21-2010 | 04:36 AM
xzotklr

Originally Posted by KevanMayne
I just installed the 380RS accelerator pedal on my '06 Base Z, using the two OEM plastic peices (sold seperately) since the pedal alone will not fit a Base model. After installing, I noticed that the pedal is able to slide to the left and right by about 5 millimeters. I'm pretty confident it's caused by the pedal itself because the plastic clips seem to fit snug with the aluminum rod that the pedal attaches to. Does anyone else have this problem with the pedal fitting loosely?

Also, my accelerator pedal naturally sits back about an inch farther than my clutch and brake pedals. I would think it's easier to heel-toe downshift if it didn't sit back so far. Is the pedal on all the other models sunken in like this also?
The solution to your problem is here:

http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...pedal-install/

Complete install w/ pics.

"For base owners with the factory rubber pedal, if your stock pedal install as per the pics, it will bolt on. If not, you will need the additional clips. "
Old 09-21-2010 | 05:09 AM
dcains

Originally Posted by xzotklr
The solution to your problem is here:

http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...pedal-install/

Complete install w/ pics.

"For base owners with the factory rubber pedal, if your stock pedal install as per the pics, it will bolt on. If not, you will need the additional clips. "
The link is dead, and I do have the "additional clips". The difference seems to be that the base model throttle shaft is just slightly smaller in diameter than the others. As I mentioned, a short section of heat-shrink (or even some tape) should easily solve the issue. Hopefully the OP and I are both talking about the same issue, but I think we are.
Old 09-21-2010 | 08:01 AM
Flo-ridaZ33

The link is dead, and I do have the "additional clips". The difference seems to be that the base model throttle shaft is just slightly smaller in diameter than the others. As I mentioned, a short section of heat-shrink (or even some tape) should easily solve the issue. Hopefully the OP and I are both talking about the same issue, but I think we are.
Email/PM Adam at Z1auto.com... He'll be able to guide you in the right direction. That dead link is a link to a blog on that website... check it out.
Old 09-21-2010 | 09:24 PM
T_K

Originally Posted by Flo-ridaZ33
Email/PM Adam at Z1auto.com... He'll be able to guide you in the right direction. That dead link is a link to a blog on that website... check it out.
The pedal assemblies have a different part number for Base models, all years. Mine doesn't fit perfectly either, just a couple millimeters really, but enough to have a little bit of play.
Old 09-21-2010 | 09:35 PM
dcains

The bushing provided for the bottom of the pedal is just fine, but the U-section that the throttle shaft fits into is just too small in diameter. I took mine apart tonight, slid on two layers of 1"-long piece of heat-shrink tubing on the section of the shaft that fits into the top part of the pedal, and now it's fine. No free-play, and no noise when I take my foot off the pedal. 5-minute fix, and if you don't have any heat-shrink, several wraps with some electrical tape would work equally well.
Old 09-21-2010 | 09:48 PM
dcains

Here's a pic showing the plastic v. metal pedal. Notice that the top channel for the throttle rod is larger on the metal pedal:

Old 09-22-2010 | 04:48 AM
jimgary5390

The bushing provided for the bottom of the pedal is just fine, but the U-section that the throttle shaft fits into is just too small in diameter. I took mine apart tonight, slid on two layers of 1"-long piece of heat-shrink tubing on the section of the shaft that fits into the top part of the pedal, and now it's fine. No free-play, and no noise when I take my foot off the pedal. 5-minute fix, and if you don't have any heat-shrink, several wraps with some electrical tape would work equally well.
Nice, that is exactly my problem with the upper attachment as well. However, the second (bottom) attachment is also loose (at least in my case). The end of the throttle rod fits snugly into the plastic bushing, but the plastic bushing does not fit snugly into it's spot in the 380RS pedal.
So I will have to increase the diameter of the throttle rod for the upper attachment like you did, but I will also have to increase the diameter of the plastic bushing for the lower attachment. I'll take pics as well when I do mine up this weekend.

Last edited by jimgary5390; 09-22-2010 at 04:54 AM.
Old 09-22-2010 | 04:53 AM
jimgary5390

Hey and check this out. I think I found the blog that guy was talking about: http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...dal-install-2/
Look at the second picture, it looks like they use some clear tubing to widen the diameter of their throttle rod. Although they don't mention anything about it... I wonder if that's a peice we should have?
Old 09-22-2010 | 04:57 AM
dcains

Nice, that is exactly my problem with the upper attachment as well. However, the second (bottom) attachment is also loose (at least in my case). The end of the throttle rod fits snugly into the plastic bushing, but the plastic bushing does not fit snugly into it's spot in the 380RS pedal.
So I will have to increase the diameter of the throttle rod for the upper attachment like you did, but I will also have to increase the diameter of the plastic bushing for the lower attachment. I'll take pics as well when I do mine up this weekend.
Mine's loose enough to pivot at the bottom, but there's not enough free play for it to really move around.
Old 09-22-2010 | 04:59 AM
dcains

Hey and check this out. I think I found the blog that guy was talking about: http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2...dal-install-2/
Look at the second picture, it looks like they use some clear tubing to widen the diameter of their throttle rod. Although they don't mention anything about it... I wonder if that's a peice we should have?
It's just barely visible, but I think you're right. You don't need that exact piece, though, just anything that will make the rod fatter. Like I said, tape would work just as well, or the heat-shrink I used.
Old 09-22-2010 | 07:33 PM
jimgary5390

Word man I got some heat shrink tubing left over from my head unit install. But to sum this thread up... WTF NISSAN? I don't know how they could've messed up such a simple little peice of aluminum but they did

Last edited by jimgary5390; 09-22-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-22-2010 | 08:27 PM
dcains

Word man I got some heat shrink tubing left over from my head unit install. But to sum this thread up... WTF NISSAN? I don't know how they could've messed up such a simple little peice of aluminum but they did
The rubber tubing is probably there to dampen any vibrations that might happen with a metal-to-metal contact. Another easy fix would be to pivot the pedal down, slap on a dab of silicone caulk/gasket sealer on the pedal, and then pivot it back up and snap on the clip.