Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:52 PM
gu_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G4nismo
wait, so did you actually place the ring and the flat pieces of paper or not? both your sentences contradict each other.

i just got my sti lenses and saw your previous photos but kinda surprised the cutoffs are not as crisp from the other photos i've seen. how far away did you have your car from the wall when you took those pics? do you get a sharper, more colorful spectrum when ur up close?
If you see the retrofit source site it comes with the ring spacers that are made of paper material. I have no idea what that "tuner kit" is. It was about 20 ft haven't adjusted it yet. Pics are taken from IPhone so idk if that makes a difference. But when it's up close Its definitely shaper and some blue on the cut off line.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Jbakes727

Originally Posted by mcubed45
thanks for the pic.

so it looks like all you swap over is your hid ballast/igniter/bulb? all the other bulb sockets/wiring are included? (turn signal, side marker).

i'm coming from 03-05 NON-HID so just trying to figure out which parts exactly i'll need to source.

thanks!
I haven't installed them yet but from the information I have gathered if you have an HID 03-05 then all you do is swap over your old ballast and ignitor and then purchase HID d2s bulbs, I also think you need the 06+ turn signals ones as well which are 3457A bulbs (A means amber). Now since your non-HID you'll have to swap the big connectors. I have no information on that so you'll have to do some research.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Teha99

I just opened up mine and installed the STI lenses. The two lenses do not have much of a "clear" difference as the OEM and sti comparison. Im also doing the Iron man mod and one of my CCFL halos doesnt work so I have to wait another week
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM
freddys 350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teha99
I just opened up mine and installed the STI lenses. The two lenses do not have much of a "clear" difference as the OEM and sti comparison. Im also doing the Iron man mod and one of my CCFL halos doesnt work so I have to wait another week
Its not really the clarity..the oem has ripples on the surface. the sti is smooth....LOOK CLOSELY.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:54 PM
G4nismo

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gu_z33
If you see the retrofit source site it comes with the ring spacers that are made of paper material. I have no idea what that "tuner kit" is. It was about 20 ft haven't adjusted it yet. Pics are taken from IPhone so idk if that makes a difference. But when it's up close Its definitely shaper and some blue on the cut off line.
i emailed retrofit source and they said the tuner kit is the spacer and those pieces of paper. Their reply:

Thanks for your inquiry and patience waiting on a response here. The clear lens tuning kit is for fine-tuning the spacing of the clear lens in relation to the projector to change the output to your particular tastes.

It can definitely be used on your 350Z to adjust this.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:56 PM
G4nismo

Originally Posted by Teha99
doing the iron man mod as well. bought the CCFLs from retro-solutions. hopefully mine don't run into any troubles. did you try to ask for a refund or exchange?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:06 PM
G4nismo

did a quick comparison. should i leave the clear turn signal lense in or out?

how it looks right now. quite a mess:
Old 08-25-2013, 08:57 PM
freddys 350z

im leaving mine in..looks to plain with out it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Teha99

Yea retro solutions told me to ship it back and after they test it out they will ship me another one. I told them I needed them done fast since my Z is my daily and he said I just pay for it now he will refund me later.

Im leaving the signal cover. Im thinking about doing something cool with it I saw on an aventador we will see how it comes out.

Im having trouble fitting the halo ring onto the projector housing... i sanded some of the halo and it still no go. It wont go further back and the shroud is hitting it...
Old 08-25-2013, 11:27 PM
freddys 350z

its been done before, so im sure it just needs more sanding
Old 08-26-2013, 04:22 AM
frocker93

Originally Posted by 727FL350z
I haven't installed them yet but from the information I have gathered if you have an HID 03-05 then all you do is swap over your old ballast and ignitor and then purchase HID d2s bulbs, I also think you need the 06+ turn signals ones as well which are 3457A bulbs (A means amber). Now since your non-HID you'll have to swap the big connectors. I have no information on that so you'll have to do some research.
Are all D2s bulbs low and hi beam?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 AM
gu_z33

Originally Posted by frocker93
Are all D2s bulbs low and hi beam?
Your high beam is a solenoid that drops the projector gate to let more light out. The bulb doesn't actually get brighter.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:02 PM
BranZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I am having some trouble, if someone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have an 06, but the previous owner installed some crappy aftermarket headlights like I posted earlier. Well not until I tried to take off the headlights did I notice he totally butchered the whole wiring harness for the headlights. Cutting off the end connectors to straight wire them into the aftermarket headlights he bought.

Now I had hoped I could just cut them off, and use individual female and male connectors to connect my wires up to the headlights, but I'm not so sure about it now.

Here is a picture of the wires in my car for the headlights (after being butchered...
Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-jhwpfxdl.jpg

And here is a picture of the headlights wiring (for the guys who don't have it infront of them:
Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread-ibvgc6ml.jpg
Now I'm confused by this...

Could I just cut off the connector for the headlights and attatch individual connectors to them, and what wire is going to where? I have found things that tell me what each pin does, but it's kind of hard to know which wire is which pin, when your connector has been chopped off...

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-26-2013, 03:52 PM
mcubed45

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by BranZ
Ok I am having some trouble, if someone could help it would be GREATLY appreciated.

I have an 06, but the previous owner installed some crappy aftermarket headlights like I posted earlier. Well not until I tried to take off the headlights did I notice he totally butchered the whole wiring harness for the headlights. Cutting off the end connectors to straight wire them into the aftermarket headlights he bought.

Now I had hoped I could just cut them off, and use individual female and male connectors to connect my wires up to the headlights, but I'm not so sure about it now.

Here is a picture of the wires in my car for the headlights (after being butchered...

Could I just cut off the connector for the headlights and attatch individual connectors to them, and what wire is going to where? I have found things that tell me what each pin does, but it's kind of hard to know which wire is which pin, when your connector has been chopped off...

Thanks for any help.
Ya you can do that. Or get another 8 pin connector to wire in. Just follow the wire color codes to figure out what goes where.
Old 08-26-2013, 04:14 PM
G4nismo

^^ i think these are it:

Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Teha99

Finished one of them and I tested it out by connecting it to the battery. Retro shipped out a new halo today i should have it wednesday.

Name:  Js0eL9D.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  45.2 KB
Old 08-26-2013, 08:47 PM
G4nismo

^^^ very nice! i def wanna see some more pics when you finish. i'm getting anxious to do mine. rest of the parts should be arriving soon.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:59 AM
sry110

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm happy with my 100% stock 06+ headlights, except that the outer lenses are all scratched up and starting to haze. For the price of the Depo units, I wouldn't mind picking up a set and just swapping them in, but since it seems the STI lens is pretty much mandatory for getting these close to OEM quality, then do you think it would be possible to swap the entire guts of my OEM lights into the Depo housings? In other words, the only components from Depo that I would retain are the housing and the outer lens. Of course while I'm at it, may as well swap the OEM lenses for STI lenses too.
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM
freddys 350z

sti lenses on the depo are better then the stock oem. but the oem with sti lenses look a little better overall.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Jbakes727

Originally Posted by freddys 350z
sti lenses on the depo are better then the stock oem. but the oem with sti lenses look a little better overall.
Are the depo lenses really that bad? I'm gonna leave my depo ones in for now and throw in some new Phillips 85122 d2s bulbs. Either way it's still an upgrade over my 03 lights with $15 bulbs

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Depo 06+ style headlights and other aftermarket headlights thread