Exterior & Interior 350Z Body modification, interior styling and lighting
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

After market bumper for Track...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2020, 10:00 PM
dragon11689

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default After market bumper for Track...

Hey Guys,

So I'm in the market for a new front bumper and am deciding between 2 bumpers for an '05 350z. A little history on my car. I already have the JP Vizage Type N body kit. The reason I'm getting a new bumper is I've had it for more than 12 years on the car. It's also been beaten to hell and back. I've considered both the same JP Vizage Type N bumper and the VIS Racing NSM bumper(aka Nismo 370z bumper). They are both fiberglass and sit pretty low like the rest of my body kit. I'm not slammed by any means and have the suspension set up for track. It's for road course racing specifically or time attack. My question is if anyone has had experience with either one of them on the track. Also, is there anyone out there that has found a way to secure the bottom of the type n bumper some how. The piece is really nice as it's FRP and doesn't require any fabrication. It just wobbles underneath as their is nothing supporting as opposed to the stock bumper where the under shroud bolts right up to it acting a support. Any advice or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:42 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

The diffuser on the bottom of any NISMO V1-type bumper will always be a bit loose unless its molded into the bumper itself. This is of my street Z:

As with any bumper, OEM or aftermarket, it's best to use all the underbody trim (including belly pan, fender liners and assorted hardware) to stiffen the front end and hold the bumper in place. As for effectiveness, it's not a lot of downforce, and most of it is generated above 60 MPH. Paradoxically, I've raced Z33s for years in SCCA/NASA and never noticed a huge difference between the standard bumper and one with a molded-in diffuser.

Why not just take off your current fiberglass bumper and have it stripped, repaired and re-painted? Unless there's heavy damage, in which case, you may want to look for a urethane option instead.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:38 PM
dragon11689

Originally Posted by dkmura
The diffuser on the bottom of any NISMO V1-type bumper will always be a bit loose unless its molded into the bumper itself. This is of my street Z:

As with any bumper, OEM or aftermarket, it's best to use all the underbody trim (including belly pan, fender liners and assorted hardware) to stiffen the front end and hold the bumper in place. As for effectiveness, it's not a lot of downforce, and most of it is generated above 60 MPH. Paradoxically, I've raced Z33s for years in SCCA/NASA and never noticed a huge difference between the standard bumper and one with a molded-in diffuser.

Why not just take off your current fiberglass bumper and have it stripped, repaired and re-painted? Unless there's heavy damage, in which case, you may want to look for a urethane option instead.
Hey Dkmura. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I would love to repair my existing bumper as it's always been a favorite of mine. My issue is twofold. There's heavy damage to it over the use of 10+ years. Also, it's not easy to make the OEM undershroud and fender liners fit with it. The price to repair it is the same as buying a new one unfortunately. I've had bad luck with Urethane bumpers for some reason, so I try to stay clear of them. I don't mind using high quality FRP.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:05 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

VIS i supposed to be spot on for fitment. Last i looked they had frp and urethane options. Reach out to brianMcann at AZexiled
Old 02-07-2020, 04:39 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Originally Posted by dragon11689
Hey Dkmura. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I would love to repair my existing bumper as it's always been a favorite of mine. My issue is twofold. There's heavy damage to it over the use of 10+ years. Also, it's not easy to make the OEM undershroud and fender liners fit with it. The price to repair it is the same as buying a new one unfortunately. I've had bad luck with Urethane bumpers for some reason, so I try to stay clear of them. I don't mind using high quality FRP.
Understood- once the damage is that bad, you may as well replace it. Please explain your ¨bad luck¨with urethane bumpers? Never heard of anyone preferring FRG to quality urethane bumpers for durability and fit.

Last edited by dkmura; 02-09-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 02-09-2020, 05:09 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

Understood- once the damage is that bad, you may as well replace it. Please explain your bad ¨luck¨with urethane bumpers? Never heard of anyone preferring FRG to quality urethane bumpers for durability and fit.
Maybe he sucks at driving
Old 02-17-2020, 06:16 AM
dragon11689

Understood- once the damage is that bad, you may as well replace it. Please explain your ¨bad luck¨with urethane bumpers? Never heard of anyone preferring FRG to quality urethane bumpers for durability and fit.
My last bumper got smacked pretty good, but there is no way for me to repair it. The urethane bumper lasted a few months and the one before that was FRP which lasted from 2008 up until 2019. I drive aggressively. They are also lighter weight. So the good points for FRP are they are repairable and lighter in weight. I can see the appeal of urethane being more sturdier in construction, but if it gets damaged the wrong way, bye-bye bumper or $600-$800 you've just spent.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:23 AM
dragon11689

Originally Posted by travlee
Maybe he sucks at driving
Well, I'm not by any means considered a pro driver, but I think I do pretty good considering my experience on the track. If that's what you mean by sucking, then yes, I suck. I still have a lot to learn before considering myself to be an amazing driver. But feel free to come see me at the track here in south Florida and decide for yourself. I don't mind a bit of friendly competition.