Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G37/370z Steering Wheel Install into 350z/G35

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 11:27 PM
orinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G37/370z Steering Wheel Install into 350z/G35

Disclaimer: this is my first post and wanted to share my experience installing a G37 steering wheel into my 350z, I am posting this because there was no other clear thread that had the full details, correct me if I'm wrong as I couldn't find one. This is process is possible!!
Tools Required
  • T30 External Torx
  • Flat Head/pry tool
  • 3/4 Deep Socket
  • Socket Wrench
  • Torque Wrench
  • 10mm Socket (Negative Terminal on Battery)
I will have photos attached of the overall process, it was a simple process and everything fits perfectly! Do note, I was unable to get the cruise control/steering wheel radio controls to work! However, I got the horn to work and will show you how.
How much did I pay for the wheel/airbag?
I paid $150 CDN which is cheaper than buying a wheel hub, quick release, and an aftermarket wheel.
In my personal opinion I do not like the 350z steering wheel. That is just my opinion as I know quite a few people like it. I did end up going with the g37 steering wheel as that was all I could find in my area.

Steps
1) Disconnect your battery terminal and depress the brake pedal to ensure there is no power left. This is so that the airbag doesn't blow up in your face!
2) Remove the 2 caps covering the external torx which hold in the airbag, there will be two. One at 3 oclock on the wheel and the other at 9.

3) Carefully remove the airbag to expose the nut holding in the wheel

*There are two connecters for the airbag here, pull up on the black tab and they will come out. These will not require modification for the new steering wheel as ports are the same.
4)
Take your 3/4 deep socket and break loose the nut holding in the wheel, then smack around the outside to free it and take off the old wheel
*******Make sure you do not move around the clock spring!! This is very important as if you do mess this up you will trip your vdc light and mess up your steering wheel angle sensor! So just keep the wires at 6 oclock and you should be fine! Also make sure your wheel is straight before you take it off and that it is straight when you put it back on.
5)
Install your new g37/370z steering wheel by torquing down the nut to about 40ft pounds, factory says 35 but maybe play it safe as this is the only nut holding in your wheel xD
6)
in order to get your horn to work you need to cut the connector from the old wheel and plug it back into the 8 pin socket. Tape off the dangling wires to make sure they don't ground on anything and connect the green ground wire to where it was originally connected too. This is the only wire that is relevant to your horn. By now you will retain your horn functionality. Note *there will be the 8 pin connector from the new wheel, you can just tuck that away as it causes problems when it is plugged in. Feel free to play around with it to get the cruise control working but I wasn't able to figure it out and don't care much about cruise control.

Hopefully you get the idea from the picture but if not it will make sense once you start to do the swap yourself
7)
Time to connect the airbag! It goes in exactly as it came out

8)
Next tighten the torx bolts back in, I ended up stripping mine so be careful! The torx rating I believe is supposed to be 44ft pounds but I would just say make it snug!
9)
Reconnect your battery
10)
Test the horn and enjoy your new modern looking steering wheel!

and yes I do know I have more warning lights than a Volkswagen but all the safety systems are disabled in my car as the previous owner set it up for drifting. My Z is my daily so I don't drift it much but its nice to know I can kick it out sideways anytime I want lol.

Hopefully this answers some questions if you were thinking about doing this swap. If I missed anything and you have done this as well go ahead and let me know! Go easy on me as this is my first post
Old 07-08-2020, 06:36 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome and that is a nice initial post! One question on the G37 steering wheel is how it affected the reach to your turn signal stalk and other controls?
Old 07-08-2020, 08:47 AM
orinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome and that is a nice initial post! One question on the G37 steering wheel is how it affected the reach to your turn signal stalk and other controls?
Hi thanks for the feedback. Honestly I didn't notice much of a difference at all. I have had aftermarket wheels in the past and hate how far you have to reach for the stalks but since this is basically oem fitment you don't have to reach much at all