Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Turbonetics ST Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:58 AM
Vash350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Hey guys just got back and am starving so I'm going to get something to eat. The kit is up and running. Today we dyno'd first thing. The numbers were about where we thought they would be for only two runs. 2nd run it put down 366rwhp. It was the first time the car had really been taken past idle so we think the ECU is going to need time to adjust to the 93 octane and get the timing spot on. I'm going to be taking the car back in to dyno in a week or two to get some solid runs. I think I'll be hitting aroud 380 once the ECU has time to settle in. As for now, it's pouring down rain outside so I'm waiting to drive it more. The car REALLY pulls.

I'll make a more in depth post with pics after I get some food. brb.

Congratz Craig, i demand a ride at the meet on friday!
Old 06-04-2005, 11:01 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

did any of the stock parts have to be moved? actually, i see the bumper bar is still there and the fluid bottles look to be in their normal spots, but what about the airbag sensor?

the piping on the kit really looks awesome. and i like your plenum. what did you do to make it black, just paint it with high temp paint or something else?

congrats.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:56 AM
taurran

Thanks guys.

The stock bumper remains in place. Only the power steering cooler was moved. I might end up moving it back after Tripp's recommendation. Everything else is pretty much where we found it.

Oh yeah, a lot of the cheap plastic panels and crap came out to make room for the intercooler.

I'm working on getting the pics done so I can post them.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:01 PM
GQ 350z

Cant wait for more impressions =0 droolling like crazy over here.

Did your exhaust become even quieter post turbos?

Last edited by GQ 350z; 06-04-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:41 PM
taurran

Phatmitzu - I'm not sure of the injectors. I wasn't there when they were installed. I will have to check, but MIA might know the answers to your questions. It took about 3 full days for the install. I'm guessing about 17-20 hours of total work. A bit more than we expected. Of course, we also ran into the issues with the AC compressor and the headers.

kcobean - Yeah we had to rotate the clamp screws so they woudln't rub the hood. They're allright now, and look pretty good without being clipped. I'll post some up close pics if you want.

hndumafia - I had the plenum powedercoated flat black this past week. It was all oxidized and looked nasty before, and I didn't want to polish it. I think it turned out great too.

GQ_350z - Actually I think it's louder since the turbo totally deleted any type of cats. I had high flow and stock cats before. I get a little rasp with the exhaust but it sounds good on the move.

I'll go ahead and post pics, gimme a few min.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:27 PM
taurran

Okay here we go.

This morning I went in at about 9:30 and Martin was already there finishing up the final tweaks. One quart of oil was drained to put us at around 5 quarts total. At that point it was ready to dyno and we let the car idle for about 15-20 minutes. First dyno run it gets 360whp, and shoots a bunch of black smoke out of the pipes. There was also smoke coming from under the hood. It kinda startled me, but it was just the oil in and on the piping burning off.

The second dyno run we hit 366whp. I was hoping for 380 or so to the wheels, but we realized that the ECU hadn't had time to adjust timing and to the 93 octane fuel. I think this is GREAT for the first two runs on the dyno. I decided I'll make a dyno appointment within two weeks so we can see what it puts down after it has time to adjust.

There was a bad coolant hose that Martin found during the dyno and he switched it out. After that we found that we had a VDC OFF and SLIP lights that were showing when we started the car, and they would not go off while we were sitting there. I called Rob and let him talk to Martin for a bit and they didn't come up with any reason why that would happen. The idea was to fire it up and take it around the block a few times.

This is my first time to own an FI car, so I didn't really know what to expect. I asked Martin to take it out first because I have never driven an FI car and he would know if anything was wrong, and I wasn't sure about the lights. But anyway, we went out and he got on it some. The car pulls HARD. So hard, in fact, that there was absolutely no traction in 1st and 2nd gears. My back tires are bald, and I have basically no traction until I get my new wheels put on this week. I about sh*t my pants the first time he floored it. Oh, and we were hitting full boost at about 3300 RPM's every time. This was on a warm florida day with 98%+ humidity.

I got to drive it home and got on it a little until it started pouring rain. I picked up a fire extinguisher for the glove box and a heat shield that I plan on putting under the front corner of the hood. The only thing I've noticed with the kit so far is that I get some rattles coming from the piping when I cold start the car. Martin said that it was the clamps used on the kit, and that they woudl rattle a bit until they heated up. That seemed to be the case, as it goes away when the car has been running for a bit. There might also be a bit of noise coming from where the downpipe is contacting the body of the car. I'll have to look into it more when I get back out on the road after the rain.

So far the kit seems AWESOME. I'll give more opinions later after I wipe the car down and take it out for the night. More later.
Attached Thumbnails My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-dyno366.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall01.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall02.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall03.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall04.jpg  

Old 06-04-2005, 01:28 PM
taurran

more
Attached Thumbnails My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall05.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall010.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall013.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall019.jpg   My Turbonetics ST Install Thread-finalinstall012.jpg  

Old 06-04-2005, 02:06 PM
Mrbig

Default Turbo ???

How well u think this will work on an auto Z. Will it make as much power and will it be reliable ??? Car looks great nice clean install, goodluck with ur new found power, lol.....
Old 06-04-2005, 03:40 PM
Phatmitzu

Thats one hell of a sleeper.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:50 PM
GQ 350z

Dude you are such a pimp! Thanks for documenting this whole process...I feel like its my car that got worked on. Good luck, and hope to see you get to 380+ very soon!

Thanks again,

Ravi
Old 06-04-2005, 05:07 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wow the air/fuel is dead on. i did not expect that from the ecu flash. i say you take a road trip to miami for some partying and to hook it up with a ride!
Old 06-04-2005, 05:26 PM
Phanatic
Banned

Everything looks gorgeous! Congrats on the new kit, and nice work to turbonetics for putting out a very successful setup.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:48 PM
axxizzer

sorry to ask this, but how heavy is this kit fully installed on a Z?

I would imagine more than 50 pounds, and as we alll know, anything more than ~36 is another percent onto the front and away from the back.

So does it way more than a vortech? Greddy? APS? Thanks
Old 06-04-2005, 05:57 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by axxizzer
sorry to ask this, but how heavy is this kit fully installed on a Z?

I would imagine more than 50 pounds, and as we alll know, anything more than ~36 is another percent onto the front and away from the back.

So does it way more than a vortech? Greddy? APS? Thanks
I would imagine that it weighs more than the Vortech (less weight in the snail on the V-tech, and less plumbing. I doubt the mount plates for the V-tech account for much), but less than the GReddy and APS (two turbos and even more plumbing than this kit.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:01 PM
Speed Dreams

Congrats bro, now go and enjoy!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 08:54 PM
taurran

Okay, just thought I'd drop in and give my thoughts after an evening on the town.

First and foremost, the kit pulls hard. It's definitely a joy to drive and I love kicking it and hearing that BoV. The Raptor is definitely where it's at! At the local hangout, the car was getting some major attention with the shiny turbo under the hood. Most folks were admiring the black chrome piping. It really is a beautiful kit.

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to thoroughly enjoy it till I get the new tires/wheels this week. I stopped and looked at them over at the local hangout and one is looking VERY threadbare. Thank you discount tire direct for sending me a dinged rim.

Now, take the following with the grain of salt. It's mostly biproducts of the kit with headers and me just being picky.

You all know we installed this with the headers. We got it to fit but it was VERY tight. Right now it's just TOO tight. The clamp on the downpipe is actually touching the body and causing a lot of noise inside the car. The pedal actually shakes and the car doesn't feel 'smooth'. It actually reminds me of driving an old muscle car with the smell of the oil burning off and the roughness of it all. Maybe I'm being picky but should the FEEL of the car (even at idle) change on a normal install?

I'm also hearing a pst-pst-pst-pst noise at idle and while in gear. It almost leads me to believe I have a leak along the line somewhere. Martin said that some of the noise I was hearing was caused by some of the clamps on the piping, and that it mostly goes away when the car heats up, which it does. But, some still stays after it's running hot.

All around the car just feels very rough and noisy. Most of the night while driving I spent just listening to the sound of the motor trying to get an idea of what was causing all of the noise. The car just isn't running smooth and it kind of gets to me.

Also, my AEM wideband gauge is just jumping all over the place. Maybe I'm a newb and don't know how to read it, but what should I be looking for? When I'm sitting idle it blanks out, and when I gas it, it swings wildly, hovers around 14 for most of the time, then spazzes out when I slow down. Any advice on what I should be looking for?

Okay, well, those are the small issues that are bothering me. I talked to Martin and he wants to bring it in monday and try to alter the body where the downpipe is running to attempt to stop the rattling. Hopefully if it's successful my car will be smooth again. Right now it's fast as all hell but it feels like I'm driving a 20 year old car.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:05 AM
BPL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get rattling as well around 3000 RPM from my downpipe hitting a flange on the transmission. I'm sure all the rattles can be worked out with adjusting.

I don't have the AEM gauge but on my Zeitronix I usually see around 14.7 at idle and when driving off boost. When under boost I see about 11.5 and when I close the throttle completely it jumps to around 20-21.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by BPL
I get rattling as well around 3000 RPM from my downpipe hitting a flange on the transmission. I'm sure all the rattles can be worked out with adjusting...
Hey BPL, did you get to installed the stillen engine damper? Did that help getting rid of the sound from engine movement?

Taurran, you might want to get a engine damper too to prevent the engine from moving so much so that parts will have less chance of rubbing one another.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:08 PM
BPL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Hey BPL, did you get to installed the stillen engine damper? Did that help getting rid of the sound from engine movement?

Taurran, you might want to get a engine damper too to prevent the engine from moving so much so that parts will have less chance of rubbing one another.
Not yet... Performance was supposed to get some more in last Friday. Hopefully I'll have it installed early this week.
Old 06-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats on the kit, you make my peak power at 4000 rpm's Must feel nice. Guys is it just me or from 4000-4500 is he just a tad lean? Maybe a tad lean for my own personal tastes. Can Turbonetics reflash your ecu to work with the 7100 rpm redline? Also do you know how much timing is pulled out with this reflash? Post some fly-by, in car vids, we would all like to see that.

Quick Reply: My Turbonetics ST Install Thread