Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Turbonetics ST Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh Brad also mentioned that you can rotate the bearing housing independent of the compressor a bit to help with the oil return if you need to. The shop should be able to re-clock that with ease.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:32 AM
taurran

MIA - If you look at the last pic, of the wastegate, the way we have the hose routed now is out around that part of the frame and back around to the oil pan there where you can see behind the wastegate. Is this what you mean?
Old 06-02-2005, 11:33 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
MIA - If you look at the last pic, of the wastegate, the way we have the hose routed now is out around that part of the frame and back around to the oil pan there where you can see behind the wastegate. Is this what you mean?
Yes according to Brad and Jahme the drain line should be going inside the frame rails. See post above.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:37 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Yes according to Brad and Jahme the drain line should be going inside the frame rails. See post above.
I guess we have it wrong then. Right now it's going outside and around. I'll check on this when I go back.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:43 AM
BPL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. If you turn the oil drain the right way it will fit. Man, this is bringing back nightmares of installing my kit!!

Make sure your discharge horn and intake band clamps aren't rubbing. I didn't find out mine were until the inside of my hood was scratched up.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:45 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by BPL
I agree. If you turn the oil drain the right way it will fit. Man, this is bringing back nightmares of installing my kit!!

Make sure your discharge horn and intake band clamps aren't rubbing. I didn't find out mine were until the inside of my hood was scratched up.
Will do. I'm gonna head over now to double check everything. Thanks!
Old 06-02-2005, 11:55 AM
MIAPLAYA

Will do. I'm gonna head over now to double check everything. Thanks!
Hope I was helpful bro...let me know if theres anything else I can help with.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

BTW I must go ahead and praise Brad and Turbonetics again. Everytime I call them to ask something I get answers immediately. I must say that the customer support alone is a reason I will continue to purchase and or support Turboentics for as long as I am into cars.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:01 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
BTW I must go ahead and praise Brad and Turbonetics again. Everytime I call them to ask something I get answers immediately. I must say that the customer support alone is a reason I will continue to purchase and or support Turboentics for as long as I am into cars.
Yeah I'd like to thank everyone for the help we've got so far. I talked to Brad today about the oil drain issue, but unfortunately I wasn't at the shop so we couldn't do much. He said I could call him right back tomorrow if we had any questions with the drain.

Tomorrow the install will be finished. Martin says he is going to finish up the the install and then play with the oil drain. Tomorrow he should be completing with the intercooler, piping under hood, BoV, Plugs, CAS wire, gauges and dyno. If all goes well I should be driving the car out of the garage tomorrow night.

Brad and I also briefly discussed what impact the headers would have on the performance of the kit. Brad said he believes since the diameter of the pipes are larger, the air will move at a lower velocity but at a higher volume. It might possibly spool slightly slower but give me more power on the top end. What do you all think?
Old 06-02-2005, 02:51 PM
MIAPLAYA

Yeah I'd like to thank everyone for the help we've got so far. I talked to Brad today about the oil drain issue, but unfortunately I wasn't at the shop so we couldn't do much. He said I could call him right back tomorrow if we had any questions with the drain.

Tomorrow the install will be finished. Martin says he is going to finish up the the install and then play with the oil drain. Tomorrow he should be completing with the intercooler, piping under hood, BoV, Plugs, CAS wire, gauges and dyno. If all goes well I should be driving the car out of the garage tomorrow night.

Brad and I also briefly discussed what impact the headers would have on the performance of the kit. Brad said he believes since the diameter of the pipes are larger, the air will move at a lower velocity but at a higher volume. It might possibly spool slightly slower but give me more power on the top end. What do you all think?

At this point its kinda up in the air what the results will be. It will be interesting to see what happends though. I should have the Nexus Industries headers shortly and will get them on my car as well and see what happens.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:47 PM
Speed Dreams

Okay. he had begun to reroute the steering fluid cooler to the wheel well.
Bad move,
keep the cooler up front above the intercooler,you can use the same bracket.

Mia, what's the word on the retro fit for the a/f sensors for those with catless kits, you never got back to us on this. Without it your ecm will trip the ses as you know.
I don't mean to pass the effort on to you, but dealing with T=netics is nerve racking, long hold time and people that aren't up to date with information.
Since you have an in with this Brad guy and have easy access, have him give you some answers to the sensor issues.

Last edited by Speed Dreams; 06-02-2005 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:58 PM
taurran

Err.. That is where the instructions said to put it.

I'll check on it tomorrow I guess.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:14 PM
Speed Dreams

Err.. That is where the instructions said to put it.

I'll check on it tomorrow I guess.
They were going to change that Taurran, but who knows how long that may take. There is no reason to hide the cooler where it gets less air, plus it's easier to mount as mentioned.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
backagain

are you planning on doing a video of this ? the video that i have seen in the pase sucked, i want to see a good video of this unit. my buddy 12nv is putting a turbonetics on his car as we speak. plan on getting some video this weekend if it's all in. you can check out what im talking about at www.panhandlez.com and click on videos then on vortech, glad your install is working out, keep us updated with numbers once it's done.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:34 PM
MIAPLAYA

I will ask Brad tomorrow about that Tripp. Sorry I've had a lot going on personally and I forgot to ask.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:29 AM
Turbonetics

Originally Posted by Speed Dreams
Bad move,
keep the cooler up front above the intercooler,you can use the same bracket.

Mia, what's the word on the retro fit for the a/f sensors for those with catless kits, you never got back to us on this. Without it your ecm will trip the ses as you know.
I don't mean to pass the effort on to you, but dealing with T=netics is nerve racking, long hold time and people that aren't up to date with information.
Since you have an in with this Brad guy and have easy access, have him give you some answers to the sensor issues.
With all the testing we had done prior to the release of this kit we had not experienced the ecm trip from the a/f sensors placement...we have had two other dealer installations that have though (both on 04’ cars) and we have been testing a new prototype down pipe with the extensions that is going into production over the next few weeks. This new revision down pipe will be implemented across the board, if you already own one of our kits and this problem exist on your car please call our customer service department and speak to Reggie, his direct line is 805-581-6710 and we will exchange the new pipe at no cost.

Brad
Old 06-03-2005, 07:41 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbonetics
With all the testing we had done prior to the release of this kit we had not experienced the ecm trip from the a/f sensors placement...we have had two other dealer installations that have though (both on 04’ cars) and we have been testing a new prototype down pipe with the extensions that is going into production over the next few weeks. This new revision down pipe will be implemented across the board, if you already own one of our kits and this problem exist on your car please call our customer service department and speak to Reggie, his direct line is 805-581-6710 and we will exchange the new pipe at no cost.

Brad
Brad,
I imagine that getting an installed downpipe out of the car is going to be a hefty undertaking. That said, would it be best for those of us that are awaiting arrival of kits ordered weeks ago to wait until this new pipe is available prior to having the install performed?
Old 06-03-2005, 07:56 AM
Turbonetics

Originally Posted by kcobean
Brad,
I imagine that getting an installed downpipe out of the car is going to be a hefty undertaking. That said, would it be best for those of us that are awaiting arrival of kits ordered weeks ago to wait until this new pipe is available prior to having the install performed?
Actually it's not, the down pipe is a V-Band connection at both ends. You will need to remove the cross over pipe first (V-band on one end, 3 bolt on the other) then the down pipe but it will all slide out pretty easily...without a lift should take less than an hour.

There is around 100 systems on the road so far with just a couple experiencing the problem...we will work with you guys in what ever direction you choose to go...wait or not...

Brad
Old 06-03-2005, 08:05 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbonetics
Actually it's not, the down pipe is a V-Band connection at both ends. You will need to remove the cross over pipe first (V-band on one end, 3 bolt on the other) then the down pipe but it will all slide out pretty easily...without a lift should take less than an hour.

There is around 100 systems on the road so far with just a couple experiencing the problem...we will work with you guys in what ever direction you choose to go...wait or not...

Brad
You rock. Thanks Brad. One last question for you. Were the kits that were ordered from Avalon Racing shipping direct from Turbonetics to the customer, or are they going to Avalon first and then being re-shipped? I haven't gotten a firm answer from Avalon, and I'd really like to be able to coordinate this things' arrival with my shops very busy schedule.

Thanks again.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:34 AM
Turbonetics

Originally Posted by kcobean
You rock. Thanks Brad. One last question for you. Were the kits that were ordered from Avalon Racing shipping direct from Turbonetics to the customer, or are they going to Avalon first and then being re-shipped? I haven't gotten a firm answer from Avalon, and I'd really like to be able to coordinate this things' arrival with my shops very busy schedule.

Thanks again.
That needs to be answered by Avalon...i will have our Sales department contact Avalon to provide the latest information...sorry for the vague answer but in this case Avalon is our direct customer and how many and where they are being shipped is up to Avalon. I hope you understand that I am not trying to avoid the question just trying not to get in the middle our distribution and thier customers.
I don't want to provide inaccurate information.

Brad

Quick Reply: My Turbonetics ST Install Thread