Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Turbonetics ST Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 03:53 AM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Congrats on the kit, you make my peak power at 4000 rpm's Must feel nice. Guys is it just me or from 4000-4500 is he just a tad lean? Maybe a tad lean for my own personal tastes. Can Turbonetics reflash your ecu to work with the 7100 rpm redline? Also do you know how much timing is pulled out with this reflash? Post some fly-by, in car vids, we would all like to see that.
I don't think I'd want the car to be running with a 7100 rpm rev limiter, to be safe, but no the turbonetics reflash doesn't include it. I'm not positive of the exact timing figures, maybe MIA will be able to shed some light on this today when he's online. And, we were going to get some vids on Sunday, but it was RAINING the entire day. This Friday I have off work and we're going to take the car out and do a shoot. I'll have my tires on by then so I should really be able to put down some rubber. Vids should be up on Saturday as long as the weather is with us.

And, Thanks!
Old 06-06-2005, 06:29 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by taurran
I don't think I'd want the car to be running with a 7100 rpm rev limiter, to be safe, but no the turbonetics reflash doesn't include it...
Oh it doesnt? I was been told that it does. Can MIA or Brad clearify this? Thanks.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....54#post1473954

Originally Posted by kcobean
The cost of the reflash is included in the kit. There was talk of a 'tuner kit', but I'm not sure where that's at.

Yep, one of the first things you do is send the ECU to T-netics for reflash. They provide a Fed-Ex shipping container with shipping labels, so there is no cost to ship. The reflash isn't free, it's cost is built into the purchase of the kit.

That's probably a question for Brad at T-netics, or MIA.

It alters the fuel and timing maps to account for the increased airflow, as well as raise the rev limiter and remove the speed limiter.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:55 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Oh it doesnt? I was been told that it does. Can MIA or Brad clearify this? Thanks.

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....54#post1473954
If I mis-spoke, I apologize. I thought this reflash did raise rev-limiter. Although thinking about it, that wouldn't make sense since the numbers are already starting to fall off by the existing redline. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:09 AM
Phatmitzu

Originally Posted by kcobean
If I mis-spoke, I apologize. I thought this reflash did raise rev-limiter. Although thinking about it, that wouldn't make sense since the numbers are already starting to fall off by the existing redline. Sorry for the confusion.
Oh ok. Just wanted to make sure. I would want to get the raise tho, not that I would ever go pass redline but just to prevent hitting the rev limiter.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:18 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Phatmitzu
Oh ok. Just wanted to make sure. I would want to get the raise tho, not that I would ever go pass redline but just to prevent hitting the rev limiter.
News to me if it does. I was fairly certain it didn't, but I don't remember where I read this. My dyno run stops at 6600 RPMs, and I'm pretty sure Martin said it hit the rev limiter. Might be good to get some official clarification, but I'm fairly positive it doesn't.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:24 AM
MIAPLAYA

No this kit does not raise the rev limiter on the flash. Turbonetics saw no major gain in power and was more worried about the motor running that fast on the stock internals. As for the timing I don't have the exact amount of timing being pulled. I can tell you that no map is unaltered. There are basically three maps in the ECU that get switched between depending on the environment. A low timing, normal, and advanced map. All three maps have been altered to ensure that the car will run safely under boost no matter what map it is running. As for your AFR taurran it does like pretty dead on. I think the slight lean out around 4k may be a side effect of the DC Sports headers on there. I know on my last dyno sheet my AFR was dead on throughout the range. I should be installing those Nexus headers soon and I will try and post up a before and after dyno to compare the AFR. Overall though it looks good. I meant to ask you the other day do you have a fuel pressure gauge and wideband? If so could you post some of the readings you are getting while boosting through the rev range. I'm just interested to see what you are getting with those headers. BTW congrats on being the first to run this kit with aftermarket headers.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
No this kit does not raise the rev limiter on the flash. Turbonetics saw no major gain in power and was more worried about the motor running that fast on the stock internals. As for the timing I don't have the exact amount of timing being pulled. I can tell you that no map is unaltered. There are basically three maps in the ECU that get switched between depending on the environment. A low timing, normal, and advanced map. All three maps have been altered to ensure that the car will run safely under boost no matter what map it is running. As for your AFR taurran it does like pretty dead on. I think the slight lean out around 4k may be a side effect of the DC Sports headers on there. I know on my last dyno sheet my AFR was dead on throughout the range. I should be installing those Nexus headers soon and I will try and post up a before and after dyno to compare the AFR. Overall though it looks good. I meant to ask you the other day do you have a fuel pressure gauge and wideband? If so could you post some of the readings you are getting while boosting through the rev range. I'm just interested to see what you are getting with those headers. BTW congrats on being the first to run this kit with aftermarket headers.
Thanks again, MIA. You've been a GREAT help during this whole process.

Right now I'm running only Boost and Wideband AFR. I'm still getting used to actually reading the Wideband readout, but it seems to hover between 11 and 12 when under boost. I'm going to make a dyno appointment for next week if I can, and get some better graphs for you all. I DEFINITELY want to get a boost readout so we can see how fast this turbo is spooling.

My worry right now is that we might need to get back in and tighten down some of the clamps as they've settled in, and also the one on the downpipe that is actually hitting the body. We actually had to push today's appointment back to Wednesday, so hopefully a lot of the contact will be fixed at that point. Until then, I'll have to put up with rough operation.

Oh yeah, I also bought some of the silver heat shielding/padding and I want to put a piece on the hood above where the turbo sits. Does anyone know what kind of glue I could use to get it to stick up there?
Old 06-06-2005, 07:44 AM
MIAPLAYA

Thanks again, MIA. You've been a GREAT help during this whole process.

Right now I'm running only Boost and Wideband AFR. I'm still getting used to actually reading the Wideband readout, but it seems to hover between 11 and 12 when under boost. I'm going to make a dyno appointment for next week if I can, and get some better graphs for you all. I DEFINITELY want to get a boost readout so we can see how fast this turbo is spooling.

My worry right now is that we might need to get back in and tighten down some of the clamps as they've settled in, and also the one on the downpipe that is actually hitting the body. We actually had to push today's appointment back to Wednesday, so hopefully a lot of the contact will be fixed at that point. Until then, I'll have to put up with rough operation.

Oh yeah, I also bought some of the silver heat shielding/padding and I want to put a piece on the hood above where the turbo sits. Does anyone know what kind of glue I could use to get it to stick up there?
Regular old 3M adhesive will work. I have not done this yet and have not had any problems to date though. I will be switching to a vented CF hood shortly just to decrease temps a little. Summer is here in SoCal and by the looks of it its going to be a hot one. I'm also thinking of making my own own intercooler sprayer similar to the one SCC came up with for their Silvia.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:52 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Regular old 3M adhesive will work. I have not done this yet and have not had any problems to date though. I will be switching to a vented CF hood shortly just to decrease temps a little. Summer is here in SoCal and by the looks of it its going to be a hot one. I'm also thinking of making my own own intercooler sprayer similar to the one SCC came up with for their Silvia.
I'll try that. And, I'll have to agree with the summer thing. I'm going to be buying a CF hood as soon as my bonus comes in, hopefully within the next few weeks. What brand/style are you going with? I'm having a hard time deciding between Seibon VS and VT.

VS :

VT :

I know CKobean is running the VT. Any fitment issues on it?

Last edited by taurran; 06-06-2005 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:55 AM
MIAPLAYA

I like this one

http://www.hopupracing.com/sevsstcafiho.html
Old 06-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

One of you Turbonectics guys get your car to the 1/4 track, Im eager to see what kinda mph this thing pulls. With around 370 Id hope at least 112....
Old 06-06-2005, 07:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

One of you Turbonectics guys get your car to the 1/4 track, Im eager to see what kinda mph this thing pulls. With around 370 Id hope at least 112....
I wish it was that easy...The closet 1/4 mile track to me is like 3 hours away.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:02 AM
taurran

As soon as I get my setup tweaked, I'll try to make it out to Lakeland.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:25 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As soon as I get my setup tweaked, I'll try to make it out to Lakeland.
Great, post up when you go no matter what the results. I have been sooo interested in going FI-Im highly considering this kit, Ill be following you guys closely
Old 06-06-2005, 09:14 AM
Phatmitzu

Taurran,
Try here http://store.summitracing.com/ Search for part numbers THE-13575 or THE-13500 "Adhesive Backed Heat Barriers"

As for the hood, I like VS better.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:42 AM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

bump
Old 06-26-2005, 05:08 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll try that. And, I'll have to agree with the summer thing. I'm going to be buying a CF hood as soon as my bonus comes in, hopefully within the next few weeks. What brand/style are you going with? I'm having a hard time deciding between Seibon VS and VT.

I know kcobean is running the VT. Any fitment issues on it?
I had to remove the mesh from one of the slats on the left side vent because the BOV horn sits up in the slat. It looks pretty cool though
Old 06-26-2005, 05:11 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Hey Taurran did you get new Dynos yet? Is the car running any smoother for you?
Old 06-26-2005, 07:13 PM
tabrizio

LAWW mentioned in another post...
"I was able to clock a 12.66 @ 114.99mph at Capitol Raceway last night on street 19s. VERY happy with the performance!!"
Old 06-26-2005, 11:43 PM
kosmic

Hey guys, quick question that hopefully wasn't covered in this post (I skimmed a lot)

Would there be any gains / benefit whatsoever with going with an aftermarket plenum with the T-netics turbo? If so, how hard would it be to get things re-tuned via a reflash? Could TS just do it with the info from a dynosheet / wideband after the plenum is installed?

Also, for Mia and others who are going with a more free flowing exhaust, will a reflash be needed?

OR does the TS reflash allow the ECU to adjust on its own for those factors? If so, is there any real benefit to be gained, or are extra mods cancelled out by the ECU to keep power levels within the specs of the flash?

Quick Reply: My Turbonetics ST Install Thread