Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Motec M600 EMU

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 09:53 PM
aalzuhair

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motec M600 EMU

One of the EMU options for the 350z is the Motec which has not been given the attention that it deserves ..

There was a discussion about the Motec on another thread, which I would like to place here and make this purely Motec

Here are some of the futures of the Motec M600

The M600 is similar to our M400 ECU. It is specialized for 6 cylinder/3 rotor Engines. M600 uses our Windows based ECU Manager software and features 6 Injector drives, 6 Ignition drives, fully variable cam control option, Drive By Wire option, Dual 5 wire wide band lambda option, stepper motor control, 8 auxiliary outputs, 10 auxiliary Inputs and 512Kb of logging memory. M600 offers 2 Lambda inputs which allow control of the Air Fuel Ratio Bank to Bank if desired. Advanced Functions option adds Traction Control, Anti-lag, Gear Change cut and High Low Injection.

You can download more info about the M600 from here:

M600 Brochure: http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/M600_ECU.pdf
M600 Specifications: http://www.motec.com.au/pdf/m600specs.pdf

From the other thread:

Originally Posted by phunk
So the MoTeC wasnt able to control the idle very well with the DBW? Did they consider adding an individual idle valve and just letting the DBW fully shut at idle? Or was it not only idle having issues?

I ask these questions because I am soon to be attending the MoTeC version 3 software training and I have been remotely considering the idea of puting a MoTeC in my Z and seeing if I can get all to be well with no stock ECU at all in the car.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by Z350Lover
Charles,

Running MoTeC DBW (without factory ECU at all for the entire engine operation) is a pain in the butt to get things right... my previous tuner was a motec expert and tune many race cars (mainly GTRs) for the races in australia... he was the head engineer of Gibson Motorsports back in '90s in australia winning all the races againsted those V8s until GTR got banned from the races... he tried everything, seriously tried everything and making heaps of phone calls and paying visit to MoTeC trying to sort my car problem out... I was told that MoTeC was pretty happy with that "minimum" idle hunt range... You might be able to ask Doug (Crawford) how it goes with the MoTeC (he also optioned motec DBW, but not too sure if he uses that) as he bought a complete motec PnP package from Nizpro too. I had 100rpm to 200 rpm idle hunt even with the engine idle set to 1000rpm (any lower, the car stalled out EASILY).... I have a full driving feedback report with various motec setup and parts written down, I can e-mail my feedback report to you if needed!

EDIT:
ALSO.. Nizpro even said that getting motec DBW right is VERY hard too... not only on the 350z... I believe that MoTeC people still couldn't get DBW right on the Ford road car tuned by Nizpro (4.0L straight 6 single turbo engine dyno at Nizpro with 1000HP+) although all V8 fords are using MoTeC computers for V8 SuperCars races in australia... then eventually (last time I heard, not sure about now), motec people went back to standard DWB on that street driven ford again...

cheers,

richie
</SPAN>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
I agree with Charles, when I was talked to Simon (Nizbro) some time back when I wanted to get the Motec, one of the areas that we talked about was making the Motec a PnP by using the HKS harness or the Auto Sport Wiring ... I know that Simon is a good tuner, but for $10,000 ... I don't know</SPAN>

Originally Posted by cjb80
The Motec setup from Nizpro is $10K?? Are there any details about this setup?</SPAN>

Originally Posted by aalzuhair
Sorry Charles for the hijack

Ok let's do this:

Motec Vs. UTEC

M600ECU AUD 3,177 --------------------------------------------------> UTEC ~$1200
M600 DBW AUD 553.05 ----------------------------------------------> No Need
M600 Variable camshaft upgrade AUD 471.24----------------> OEM ECU
M600 advanced functions AUD 535.19---------------------------> Included
M600 Logging AUD 178.86 ------------------------------------------> Included
Wiring for the above with sub looms AUD 2,150 -------------> No need
Raychem heat shrink Tefcal and connectors AUD 395 ---> No need
Wiring adaptor approx. AUD 500 ----------------------------------> No need
Start up program and extra notes AUD 500 -------------------> No need
Sensors Air / Water temp and Map AUD 309.89 ------------> Uses OEM - Map ~$99
Boost Control valve x 2 AUD 410.00 -----------------------------> Boost solenoid ~$85
Lambda Sensors x 2 AUD 740.00 --------------------------------> Tuner option ~$399
M600 Dual Lambda upgrade AUD 1,220.73 -------------------> Get another Tuner ~$399
Knock Sensor AUD ? (can't use OEM) -------------------------> Uses OEM

So the total for the Motec is US$8,440 (without a knock sensor) vs. UTEC ~US$2,182

Now should you want to include a EGT that's another AUD 820 which is around US$ 621.21 ... UTEC EGT is ~ US$159

Ok, now you got more money you can get the 6.5 bar fuel pressure sensor and an oil temp sensor for AUD 481.00 (US$364.40)

I have to admit, sorry it's not $10,000 close to it but not 10K

aalzuhair:

Nizpro has already worked out the best prices for motec... I believe it is AUD6500 or so with PnP ready to go/tune... that's around USD4800 having a base map in there already... and Nizpro will tell you not to buy motec DBW module either as it is not any good for the road car and with a bit more, motec gives you extra freedom of controlling camshafts and other things... it gotta be a reason to be that expensive, else you will see many race teams using UTEC instead of motec

cheers,

richie
Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 PM
aalzuhair

LOL ... Your right the Motec is highly used due to the availability of options and upgrades and most important the telemetry option

I would love to have a Motec for ~$4,800 with the option, however, the prices / items I listed above are from an e-mail that I got from Simon (and in it he had the DBW listed). I can vaguely remember a telephone conversation with Simon about your car and the DBW, they where testing the DBW on your car and I think they had some glitches.. something like that .. so it could be that they have taken out the DBW at a later stage.

At any rate, Simon / Nizpro have an excellent reputation with the Motec, and I would personally recommend any one that wants a Motec to get it through them … My point was that for the level of usage that we generally require is totally different than a race team, therefore, I would not drop more than $8,000 for a EMU that dose not give full control … If it does that would a totally different ball game

As I have mentioned before, I would love to have the Motec for the price you mentioned above with a set of standard sensors and inputs. I have used the Motec and I think its one of the best EMU’s out there. If you could list what we could get for that price I would very much appreciate it

Motec: http://www.motec.com
Nizpro: http://www.nizpro.com.au (one of the best Motec tuners)
Old 01-30-2006, 09:58 PM
eat rice z33

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nothing can beat motec
Old 01-30-2006, 10:10 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are reasons to go Motec still. The control over the cam timing is nice. Perhaps the DBW would work better with a different throttle body? The Motec has advanced traction control that can run off your stock wheel speed sensors now. The datalogging is unrivaled.

There is some CRAZY stuff you can do with the Motec, and its called "whatever your heart desires".

We put Motecs in most of the Vipers at work, and the level of control is awesome.

One cool thing my boss uses his for is to datalog suspension height so he can see when his car is starting to come off the ground at the bonneville
Old 01-30-2006, 10:33 PM
aalzuhair

THE COMPANY

MoTeC was founded in 1987 with the aim of providing world class products, superior customer service and the most advanced technology available.

A strong commitment to delivering the best possible solutions, state-of-the-art hardware and user friendly software has earned MoTeC international recognition as a leader in engine management and data acquisition systems.

As automotive technology continues to evolve, MoTeC reinforces its dedication to research and development with an innovative range of products and sophisticated software, all backed by an outstanding package of total customer support and an exceptional two year product warranty.

ENGINE MANAGEMENT

The main function of a programmable Engine Management System or Engine Control Unit (ECU) is to provide full control of a fuel injected engine over all possible operating conditions.

Precise allocations of fuel and ignition timing can be assigned to any given load/rpm site for optimum engine performance.

The ECU receives a constant flow of information from a number of vital sensors and processes this data using programmable calibrations and compensations. Adjustments are then made to the fuel delivery and ignition timing to maintain correct engine operation. The number of tuning sites can be defined by the user, allowing extra scope for fine tuning.

MoTeC engine management systems not only provide superior control of ignition and injection, but also offer the ability to control many additional engine functions such as Variable Cam Control and Turbo Wastegate Control.

THE MoTeC DIFFERENCE

MoTeC products are engineered with an uncompromising approach to quality, using only the best components and manufacturing processes to ensure optimum performance, reliability and longevity.

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
From boats to desert racing and everything in between, engine management systems can be exposed to extreme conditions, making it important to provide as much protection as possible to the internal components.

For that reason, all MoTeC ECUs are robotically assembled and dipped in liquid silicone, ensuring the components and circuit board are fully encapsulated. This military grade coating protects the surface mounted technology from environmental contamination such as moisture and dust, while improving resistance to vibration.

Sealed connectors with gold plated contacts enhance connection reliability, reducing the chance of erroneous sensor readings which can lead to engine damage.

TRUE 32 BIT PROCESSOR WITH TIME CO-PROCESSOR
MoTeC ’s powerful processor delivers smooth, responsive engine operation, fast update of all calculations and the computing power to perform auxiliary functions such as Continuously Variable Cam Control and Drive by Wire. Dedicated timer channels for each injector and coil improve fuel pulse width and ignition timing accuracy.

UPDATABLE SOFTWARE
Fully updatable software allows MoTeC ECUs to be upgraded at any time with the latest features as they become available. These updates can be downloaded free of charge from the MoTeC website.

PROGRAMMABLE CURRENT PEAK & HOLD INJECTOR DRIVERS
The injector drive can be precisely calibrated to the injector manufacturer’s requirements to deliver the most reliable and effective operation of the injector under all conditions.

SWITCHMODE INJECTOR DRIVERS
Sophisticated electronics and control software allow the injectors to be held open with a lower current, reducing power draw from the system and generating less heat within the ECU, resulting in greater reliability. This technology also provides the ability to drive low ohm injectors for maximum performance, accommodating injectors as low as 0.1 ohm.

ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS
MoTeC’s diagnostics monitoring system helps to detect and locate faults within injectors, wiring and sensors, allowing problems to be fixed quickly. The optional logging function further enhances the system’s diagnostic capabilities.

DATA LOGGING
With the Logging upgrade enabled, the M600 offers 512k of internal, high speed logging at up to 200 samples per second per channel. Users can select up to 64 parameters from a possible 350 and can individually define the logging rates for each item. The M600’s Flash Logging Memory stores logged
data indefinitely, even with no power to the ECU.

DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING OF CRANK & CAM SIGNALS
MoTeC ECUs are suitable for use with a wide range of factory trigger systems, including those found in many late model vehicles. MoTeC’s compatibility with OEM sensors, including magnetic, hall and optical, reduces installation cost and time. Crank and cam sensor voltages can be recorded, allowing trigger levels to be individually set for magnetic sensors. Programmable filtering reduces the effects of noise and possible false triggering, while advanced diagnostics assist the user by warning of false signals that may cause problems if left unresolved.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM
aalzuhair

THE m600 SYSTEM

Developed with the same advanced technology as our revolutionary M800 and M880 models, the MoTeC M600 reflects the demand for sophisticated electronics to control today’s highly evolved engines. Offering six injector drivers and six ignition outputs, the M600 is a fully programmable management system ideal for engines up to six cylinders with sequential injection and multi-coil ignition.

It is also well suited to triple rotary applications. Eight auxiliary outputs provide control for aftermarket devices and systems normally managed by the factory computer. These can be allocated as required to functions such as 3D boost control, nitrous injection, intercooler spray bars, idle speed, shift lights, warning alarms and many more.

The MoTeC M600 system includes a 32 Bit microprocessor as standard plus Narrowband Lambda control and Wideband Lambda control using an external meter. Optional features such as Continuously Variable Camshaft Control and Drive by Wire Throttle Control provide the flexibility to suit a wide
range of modern vehicles.

CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE CAM CONTROL
The M600 provides the capability to control fully variable camshaft timing using factory trigger wheels and sensors. Each cam can be independently adjusted in 0.5 degree increments based on RPM and load. This allows users to optimize engine tuning across a wide range of operating conditions to achieve better high end performance and low speed torque. Other benefits include enhanced idle, fuel economy and emissions control.

DRIVE BY WIRE THROTTLE CONTROL
Drive by Wire technology uses an electronic throttle instead of the traditional mechanical system, interpreting pedal input from the driver via sensors while controlling a throttle actuator. The M600 caters for this high-tech function, employing sophisticated software and hardware that is compatible with most OEM Drive by Wire units.

m600 UPGRADES

For additional functionality, users can request password enabled upgrades such as Data Logging and Advanced Functions which includes Traction Control, Launch Control, High/Low Injection, Overrun Boost Enhancement (Anti-Lag) and Gear Change Ignition Cut for flat shifts.

HIGH SPEED INTERNAL WIDEBAND LAMBDA
While the standard system utilises Narrowband Lambda control and Wideband Lambda using an external meter, the M600 can be upgraded with a single or dual professional internal Wideband Lambda meter for maximum tuning accuracy.

m600 SOFTWARE

MoTeC software is designed with an emphasis on usability, enabling you to quickly optimize the set up of your vehicle. All software is menu driven and has extensive help screens, making it user friendly for the beginner and a powerful tool for experts.

ECU MANAGER TUNING SOFTWARE
The ECU Manager software is designed for set up, tuning and diagnostics of the engine management system. Tuning can be carried out online (with the ECU connected) or offline. Users can view sensor and status readings, output settings, compensations and diagnostic errors. It also features Quick Lambda (automated fuel adjustment), user definable screen layouts, 3D graphing of calibration tables, site target, output testing, multiple file comparisons, table interpolation, table export, table maths and online help.

INTERPRETER SOFTWARE (Logging option must be enabled)
MoTeC ’s Interpreter software provides advanced tools for analysing logged data quickly and efficiently. Data collected from the ECU’s internal log memory can be viewed numerically or graphically to evaluate the
health and performance of the vehicle and to assess driving technique. Users can monitor various parameters in order to make improvements to performance and maintain vehicle reliability.

MoTeC SUPPORT & TRAINING

MoTeC is committed to delivering the highest level of customer service. Our team of support personnel and trained dealers will provide expert technical assistance and advice on the most suitable MoTeC system for your application. Comprehensive information is also available at the MoTeC website (including downloadable diagrams, software and application notes).

To help customers make the most of their engine management and data acquisition systems, MoTeC conducts product training sessions and seminars with worldwide experts. Visit the MoTeC website for details.

INPUTS

Ref and Sync Trigger
• Magnetic Sensors (Programmable Trigger Levels)
• Hall Sensors
• Optical Sensors

6 Temperature Inputs
User Programmable as
• Engine Temperature
• Air Temperature
• Oil Temperature
• Other sensors configurable

8 Voltage Inputs
User Programmable as
• Throttle Position Sensor
• Map Sensor
• Mass Air Flow Sensor
• Gear Position

2 Lambda Sensor Inputs
User Programmable as
• Narrow Band
• Wideband (External meter)
• Professional Internal Wideband (Optional)

4 Digital Inputs
User Programmable as
• Wheel Speeds
• Dual RPM Limit
• Overrun Boost Activation

OUTPUTS

6 Fuel Injector Drivers
• Programmable Current Outputs
• Up to 6 sequential high or low ohm injectors

6 Ignition Drivers
• Up to 6 outputs for multi coil applications

8 Auxiliary Outputs
Programmable as
• Drive by Wire
• Continuously Variable Cam Control
• Turbo Waste Gate Control
• Intercooler Spray Bar Control
• Idle Speed Control
• Nitrous Injection
• Auxiliary Valves
• Stepper Motor Control
• Driver Warning Lights
• Shift Lights
• Tacho signal
• Fuel Pressure Control
• DC Servo Control
• Thermatic Fan Control
• Other devices as required

Sensor Power Supply
• Separate Engine and Auxiliary Sensor Supplies
Old 01-30-2006, 10:39 PM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by phunk
There is some CRAZY stuff you can do with the Motec, and its called "whatever your heart desires".
I know

btw: what are you doing up so late or early what time is it now

Trending Topics

Old 01-31-2006, 12:18 AM
Dubai

Great write up and very informative
Old 01-31-2006, 12:22 AM
Z350Lover

aalzuhair,

You might want to speak to simon again regarding to the motec PnP... I think the price has already come down since they have finalised a few things since last time he spoke to you and also have sold many motec PnP units to 350Z owners in Australia already! I didn't get my motec from him, but I wish I did else I could have saved myself at least or nearly the same amount of money that you can get another motec setup! By saying that, you should know how much it costs to let someone who doesn't know about motec to just make up a PnP to your car... I am promoting Nizpro due to their knowledge about our cars and the motec, honstly I gain nothing by introducing any of my friends to them, just don't want my friends to worry about anything when they enjoy driving their cars @ the limits!

I would love to hook anyone of you with Nizpro if anyone is interested in that setup... and yes... motec program can be downloaded FREE OF CHARGE on their website!

Simon at Nizpro is very good with all sort of cars, speed boats and bikes... you can check out their own forum @ their website at www.nizpro.com.au and you will see how many satisfied customers are there enjoying their stage 1 kit (for Ford 4.0L turbo) with 1 year no-excuse engine replacement warranty if you blow your engine... I was there the other day when they were talking about this guy... he burnt so much of his engine oil already without knowing anything and still kept on pushing his car until engine blew... Simon got the car from him and didn't ask anything about it and gave him a brand new engine + stage 1 setup again within a week's time... the owner was so amazed Nizpro really did that because he didn't have money to pay for any of the damage and didn't know how to thank Simon and his gangs. That happened a couple of weeks before the warranty ran out... but still... no question asked engine replacement no matter if the engine blows on the track or smashed in the accident (that's what I was told too).

cheers,

richie

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 01-31-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:53 AM
aalzuhair

Originally Posted by scarface9
Great write up and very informative
Thanks but I did not write it per say, I just did a copy and paste form their web-site and brochure.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:13 AM
aalzuhair

aalzuhair,

You might want to speak to simon again regarding to the motec PnP... I think the price has already come down since they have finalised a few things since last time he spoke to you and also have sold many motec PnP units to 350Z owners in Australia already! I didn't get my motec from him, but I wish I did else I could have saved myself at least or nearly the same amount of money that you can get another motec setup! By saying that, you should know how much it costs to let someone who doesn't know about motec to just make up a PnP to your car... I am promoting Nizpro due to their knowledge about our cars and the motec, honstly I gain nothing by introducing any of my friends to them, just don't want my friends to worry about anything when they enjoy driving their cars @ the limits!

I would love to hook anyone of you with Nizpro if anyone is interested in that setup... and yes... motec program can be downloaded FREE OF CHARGE on their website!

Simon at Nizpro is very good with all sort of cars, speed boats and bikes... you can check out their own forum @ their website at www.nizpro.com.au and you will see how many satisfied customers are there enjoying their stage 1 kit (for Ford 4.0L turbo) with 1 year no-excuse engine replacement warranty if you blow your engine... I was there the other day when they were talking about this guy... he burnt so much of his engine oil already without knowing anything and still kept on pushing his car until engine blew... Simon got the car from him and didn't ask anything about it and gave him a brand new engine + stage 1 setup again within a week's time... the owner was so amazed Nizpro really did that because he didn't have money to pay for any of the damage and didn't know how to thank Simon and his gangs. That happened a couple of weeks before the warranty ran out... but still... no question asked engine replacement no matter if the engine blows on the track or smashed in the accident (that's what I was told too).

cheers,

richie

cheers,

richie
Richie,

Since you are in the same time zone, if I may ask of you to contact Simon and see if they can come up of some packages (i.e. basic, basic with AFR, Advanced, etc) where they list the basic items that would get the car running and then other add-on options to the ultimate setup.

With that I think everybody will benefit and will have a wider range of EMU's, since more and more owners are modifying their Zs and more and more are looking for other options (including myself).

I personally jumped on the UTEC because its the best thing that came out till today considering the price.

Thanks,

Az
Old 01-31-2006, 06:42 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a MoTeC 350Z / G35 ECU patch harness with the necessary plugs we bought from nizpro if anyone wants to buy. We made some great power with the MoTeC in N/A form, but we are currently doing just as good with the EMU, even without direct control over cam timing. You turbo guys can have a field day with MoTeC i would think. Ahhh . . . too expensive compared to the other stuff for the marginal differences in power for us, very cool none the less.