Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AEM EMS Now available for 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 11:42 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoundPerformanc
Driveshaft, clutch and turbos should not take that long....

however what types of engine problems are you having?
Headlift has been the primary problem on top of inadequate cooling of the rear of the motor causing pistons to melt, distortion of the cylinder walls, etc. Of course no one has gone to 1000 HP yet so we'll see what else fails..

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 04-17-2006 at 11:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:46 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Headlift has been the primary problem of lot on top inadequate cooling of the rear of the motor causing pistons to melt, distortion of the cylinder walls, etc. Of course no one has gone to 1000 HP yet so we'll see what else fails..
Thats innacurate.Performance motorsports did 1300whp on their street class car and 2500hp on their 6 second pro car..
Old 04-17-2006, 11:47 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Thats innacurate.Performance motorsports did 1300whp on their street class car and 2500hp on their 6 second pro car..
OK so two drag cars have done it. Now can you share with all of us what they did to hold that power?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:49 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

OK so two drag cars have done it. Now can you share with all of us what they did to hold that power?
Turbo 400 Tranny with adaptor plate, same as I am doing as we speak
Custom driveshaft made, level 5 Axles from the driveshaft shop CHRYO treated..Oh and a ford 9" rear....Basically the car is not a Nissan anymore.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:50 AM
MIAPLAYA

Turbo 400 Tranny with adaptor plate, same as I am doing as we speak
Custom driveshaft made, level 5 Axles from the driveshaft shop CHRYO treated..
I meant in the motor. I think its quite obvious that on a drag car the axels were swapped
Old 04-17-2006, 11:56 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I meant in the motor. I think its quite obvious that on a drag car the axels were swapped
Oh, you said "hold" the power so I thought you meant to the ground,like drivetrain..

From what I understand and our personal findings, Corillo "H" beams, CP pistons (although I would use the Aries extreme ones) Custom main girdle made from billet, custom Crankshaft made from billet, 1/2" head studs,Head job, Larger valvetrain,cams, and darton sleeves..Basically a $30,000 motor...If not more...
Old 04-17-2006, 12:00 PM
MIAPLAYA

Oh, you said "hold" the power so I thought you meant to the ground,like drivetrain..

From what I understand and our personal findings, Corillo "H" beams, CP pistons (although I would use the Aries extreme ones) Custom main girdle made from billet, custom Crankshaft made from billet, 1/2" head studs,Head job, Larger valvetrain,cams, and darton sleeves..Basically a $30,000 motor...If not more...
And there in lies the problem. That is in no way shape or form a "street" car or motor. All this talk of 1000 HP street cars is all well and good but thats stuff that not everyone has money or resources for. Not to mention thats a race team that I'm SURE has some backing from at least a few machine shops and manufacturers. Now tell me again how the AEM EMS is going to have the masses running 1000 HP on the street
Old 04-17-2006, 12:46 PM
gatti-man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id rather he tell me how this is better than the FCON and how it will provide safety in all conditions. Since this is a street car id also like to know if it will pass the OBD scan test. These are things street cars need to know. I did read the details but i still dont understand how this will be better than the FCON besides the 19 output serial out which is pretty trick imo.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Id rather he tell me how this is better than the FCON and how it will provide safety in all conditions. Since this is a street car id also like to know if it will pass the OBD scan test. These are things street cars need to know. I did read the details but i still dont understand how this will be better than the FCON besides the 19 output serial out which is pretty trick imo.
I can answer these questions, but I can't tell you the AEM is very comparable in price the FCON.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:06 PM
gatti-man

Originally Posted by Gman2004
I can answer these questions, but I can't tell you the AEM is very comparable in price the FCON.
Well i was quoted ~2500 for the fcon without gauges so its right around that area. Im sure by the time its all said and done the fcon might run me another 3-500 more but thats not much when we are talking 3k
Old 04-17-2006, 01:09 PM
Gman2004

Originally Posted by gatti-man
Well i was quoted ~2500 for the fcon without gauges so its right around that area. Im sure by the time its all said and done the fcon might run me another 3-500 more but thats not much when we are talking 3k
after all is said and done with all harnesses, FCON main unit, air intake sensor, map pressure senor, knock amp and display you are looking at around the same price as AEM.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:30 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Headlift has been the primary problem on top of inadequate cooling of the rear of the motor causing pistons to melt, distortion of the cylinder walls, etc. Of course no one has gone to 1000 HP yet so we'll see what else fails..

Has anyone tried O ringing, 1/2" studs, or steel shim HGs with nitrogen filled O rings?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Has anyone tried O ringing, 1/2" studs, or steel shim HGs with nitrogen filled O rings?
Yes. Some of these things work better on different type of blocks. That is all part of the experimentation process. Beefier head studs, are a good part of the solution. It will be a huge compilation of items and techniques that will get people to 1000whp.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:35 PM
kakiller

The whole selling point on the 1,000HP+ Supra market seems very biased to me. Wasn't the first 1,000HP "Street" Supra Ken Henderson's tuned on a F-Con VPRO by SP Engineering in California? (Please correct me if I'm wrong here). I don't really doubt that there would be more 1,000HP+ Supras popping up if the VPRO was distrbuted so freely like the AEM EMS.

The AEM is obviously capable of tunning needs for 1,000HP, but the way people are making it sound is that AEM created this "magic key" for making 1,000HP. IMO they just made a good EMS that is more widely available then the F-Con VPRO. It's not really about being a superior product, but more about the product availabilty.

Someone could probably make the argument that more cars have blown-up on the AEM then the HKS VPRO. But that would be biased also because of the amount of AEM units out there.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:58 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by kakiller
The whole selling point on the 1,000HP+ Supra market seems very biased to me. Wasn't the first 1,000HP "Street" Supra Ken Henderson's tuned on a F-Con VPRO by SP Engineering in California? (Please correct me if I'm wrong here)..

We made 1000 RWHP in a supra 3 years before Ken did.... and through an automatic!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:01 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

IMO they just made a good EMS that is more widely available then the F-Con VPRO. It's not really about being a superior product, but more about the product availabilty. .

Have you compared the option list of both units??

just off the top of my head.... the AEM has trac control, knock control, automatic tranny control, 15 user programable in/outs..... these are all things that the FCON does NOT have. There are a lot more things too.....
Old 04-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

just off the top of my head.... the AEM has trac control, knock control, automatic tranny control, 15 user programable in/outs..... these are all things that the FCON does NOT have. There are a lot more things too.....
Thats terrific. Do all of these features work on the VQ35? The FCON has a bunch of stuff that arent working yet on the VQ35.

The one thing I am hoping for, is control over variable cam phasing.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM
kakiller

Didn't realize you guys did it before Ken's car, 3-years before what engine management did you initially do it on?

I'm acctually trying to put together a spreadsheet on all the units available for the 350Z. I'm sort of unclear on one thing. The AEM has traction control, but it won't work for the 350Z?

Also can you tell me what the fuel and timing map resolutions are? (i.e. 30x30, 20x20)
Old 04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Didn't realize you guys did it before Ken's car, 3-years before what engine management did you initially do it on?

I'm acctually trying to put together a spreadsheet on all the units available for the 350Z. I'm sort of unclear on one thing. The AEM has traction control, but it won't work for the 350Z?

Also can you tell me what the fuel and timing map resolutions are? (i.e. 30x30, 20x20)

We did the 1000 on AEM.... Serial number 00002! We were the first to try it!!

Yes, the traction control will work on the Z.

18 x 22 is how it is set up initially.... however the RPM and load points are user definable.... therefore you can set up 12 of the load points to be in vacuum and only 6 to be boost..... as you want your highest resolution for drivability.... and everyone knows that fuel requirements under boost are linear to boost level anyway!

You also have many other user definable maps that you can cross reference to the main map.... they have 20 different points..... so.... actually 18x22x20 is the resolution!!
Old 04-17-2006, 03:34 PM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Thats terrific. Do all of these features work on the VQ35? The FCON has a bunch of stuff that arent working yet on the VQ35.

The one thing I am hoping for, is control over variable cam phasing.

yes they all work.... as well as speed sensitive boost control...... shift lights, anti lag, two step rev limiter, dry or wet nos control......

The AEM has about 20 extral I/Os. that you can configure .... say for example....

you can put a pressure sensor on your NOS bottle..... then you can compensate for bottle pressure AUTOMATICALLY and maintain a perfect a/f no matter what your bottle pressure is!!

Anything you can think of you can pretty much do with the aem!!

Quick Reply: AEM EMS Now available for 350Z