Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:34 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Here is the video of the car Before we got the turbo rebuilt. As you can see its the same problem. This was 4months ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5M7Dg7I1kE
Damn that's a lot of smoke... Did it get progressively worse over time?
Old 04-25-2007, 04:52 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Solidsnake.... Welcome to the club that no one at Turbonetics wants to admit exists. I'm on my 3rd or 4th turbo now from Turbonetics with no solution and no help from anyone @ Turbonetics (especially from Ed)... Sooooooo good luck because you are on your own over there. There are more than a few here who have the same problem. Turbonetics will tell you it's a bad install etc etc etc... Then when your warranty finally runs out they will tell you your sh*t out of luck you have no warranty left.

Now you will see the usual... Miaplaya, taurran, chimike defending Turbonetics to the death telling you that after so many miles they have no problems etc etc. Let the games begin!!!!

JET
Old 04-25-2007, 04:59 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Solidsnake.... Welcome to the club that no one at Turbonetics wants to admit exists. I'm on my 3rd or 4th turbo now from Turbonetics with no solution and no help from anyone @ Turbonetics (especially from Ed)... Sooooooo good luck because you are on your own over there. There are more than a few here who have the same problem. Turbonetics will tell you it's a bad install etc etc etc... Then when your warranty finally runs out they will tell you your sh*t out of luck you have no warranty left.

Now you will see the usual... Miaplaya, taurran, chimike defending Turbonetics to the death telling you that after so many miles they have no problems etc etc. Let the games begin!!!!

JET
Not really. I just find it hard to believe that a rebuilt turbo would still be smoking immediately after it was installed.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:00 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

JET
Edited:
I thought about you the first time my turbo flucked up. I read your post that you had been through so many turbos.

Last edited by solidsnake; 04-25-2007 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:02 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by taurran
Damn that's a lot of smoke... Did it get progressively worse over time?
That video was taken the night after I got it tuned. I dont know if I can blame the tune or the turbo. Before I got the car tuned and I was running the turbonetics reflash I had no problems at all but during that time I was running really rich. After the tune of course they leaned it out.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 PM
solidsnake

Not really. I just find it hard to believe that a rebuilt turbo would still be smoking immediately after it was installed.

That is my main concern. We just got that sucker back from turbonetics and its the same problem.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 PM
taurran

I thought about you the first time my turbo flucked up. I read your post that you had been through so many turbos. The warranty IMO sucks on the turbonetics.(no offense to Ed) I understand that they have to make money with repairs but I dont think this should even happen in the first place. Im not bashing the kit because during the 2yrs Ive had it, ive loved every minute of it. Maybe Im speaking out of frustration but thats how I feel right now.
So you're saying the warranty sucks because the turbo seal went bad in the first place? I think it sounds great that they rebuilt the turbo outside of the warranty.

You're definitely speaking out of frustration, but you've got to understand that stuff breaks when modifying a car. Jetpilot decided to do that and alienated everyone that was attempting to alleviate the situation, and it didn't do him any good.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:05 PM
Lakelandkev

Don't you have to pre-lube the turbo, run oil in the turbo. Or it will blow out the new seals right??? ...Or???
Old 04-25-2007, 05:06 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Lakelandkev
Don't you have to pre-lube the turbo, run oil in the turbo. Or it will blow out the new seals right??? ...Or???
No, you just hook it up to the oil feed/return, and start the car and let it idle a bit. It will cycle oil through and lube up pretty much instantly.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:08 PM
solidsnake

No, you just hook it up to the oil feed/return, and start the car and let it idle a bit. It will cycle oil through and lube up pretty much instantly.

Thats exactly what we did.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:10 PM
solidsnake

So you're saying the warranty sucks because the turbo seal went bad in the first place? I think it sounds great that they rebuilt the turbo outside of the warranty.

You're definitely speaking out of frustration, but you've got to understand that stuff breaks when modifying a car. Jetpilot decided to do that and alienated everyone that was attempting to alleviate the situation, and it didn't do him any good.

Yeah Im just frustrated. Ive been without my car for 4months now and I finally get it back to find out the problem still exists. I take back my comment. Turbonetics is a good company and the customer service is awesome compared to vortech or the other kit that starts with an A. HAHA.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM
taurran

Yeah Im just frustrated. Ive been without my car for 4months now and I finally get it back to find out the problem still exists. I take back my comment. Turbonetics is a good company and the customer service is awesome compared to vortech or the other kit that starts with an A. HAHA.
No reason to take back any comments. I can understand a certain level of frustration. Just saying that going the route Jetpilot did usually doesn't end well for all parties involved...
Old 04-25-2007, 05:13 PM
solidsnake

In case this helps any. Before we put the turbo back we took the pipes off the intercooler to take it off and the intercooler was full of oil. You guys think its excess oil left over. We cleaned it out with gas but it was a quick wash off.

Last edited by solidsnake; 04-25-2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:21 PM
solidsnake

jetpilot- Are you still having problems? Whats your current situation?
Old 04-25-2007, 05:22 PM
Lakelandkev

In case this helps any. Before we put the turbo back we took the pipes off the intercooler to take it off and the intercooler was full of oil. You guys think its excess oil left over. We cleaned it out with gas but it was a quick wash off.
Not good
Old 04-25-2007, 05:23 PM
JETPILOT

The route JETPILOT went was the

"put the turbo on, take the turbo off, return to Turboentics for rebuild"

What a terrible way I handled it. Don't dare go down the route I took. No body @ Turbonetics cares about any problem that can't be fixed simply and easilly. My last turbo was returned to me and was told it was examined and has no issues and it is pissing oil in both the intake and exhaust side as we speak. Oil pressure is normal and so is the kit install. What a waste of $5000.

JET
Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
solidsnake

The route JETPILOT went was the

What a terrible way I handled it. Don't dare go down the route I took. No body @ Turbonetics cares about any problem that can't be fixed simply and easilly. My last turbo was returned to me and was told it was examined and has no issues and it is pissing oil in both the intake and exhaust side as we speak. Oil pressure is normal and so is the kit install. What a waste of $5000.

JET

Old 04-25-2007, 05:25 PM
JETPILOT

jetpilot- Are you still having problems? Whats your current situation?
Current situation: Intercooler filled with oil. Smoking after WOT decel. Same story from when I first purchased the kit.

JET
Old 04-25-2007, 05:28 PM
davidf

Have you contacted Turbonetics about this since your reinstall? Maybe they need to hear about this. Surely they've got some input!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:29 PM
solidsnake

Current situation: Intercooler filled with oil. Smoking after WOT decel. Same story from when I first purchased the kit.

JET

I hope Im not in the same situation as you are. I hope I dont have to end up buying a new turbo

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*