Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by carfi179
hope I wont be part of that list. my turbonetics is getting installed at a local shop with JWT oil pan, JET PILOT why you recommend not to use an oil pan?
As Taurran said and I believe Jet insinuated is dont dump into it, use the recommended drill/Tap method in the UPPER oil pan.

And Jet, I believe we are covered on the other recommendations, The on thing I will chk is the dump, that originally I was not happy with, and this time rerouted using a 45 out of the CC to eliminate the potential kink. I also used blue Aeroquip hose
Old 04-26-2007, 05:51 AM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Could be the oil return line is not properlly routed. Do you have a catch can.
Thanx Mia--as mentioned, I rerouted by 45ing out of the CC, needless to say, with an upward angle---I was never happy with the str8 in design. It is now a clean, unstressed route using blue aeroquip 5/8. Very clean and unobstructed.

And as mentioned, is, and always has been drilled and tapped in the proper location.

Next plan is isolating the CC vent lines to eliminate any possibility of Excessive CC pressure ( 50,000 miles ) introducing a burst of saturated Air/Oil into all intakes at throttle ( Butterfly ) shutdown, which is when the smoke appears. ------- Throttle shutdown/Vacuum spike, evacuating the CC.

Insidently, He is one of the most contientious drivers I know--vehicle warm up,Turbo cool down and not exceeding the limitations of the system.

Last edited by Eazzy; 04-26-2007 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:14 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eazzzzzzy
Thanx Mia--as mentioned, I rerouted by 45ing out of the CC, needless to say, with an upward angle---I was never happy with the str8 in design. It is now a clean, unstressed route using blue aeroquip 5/8. Very clean and unobstructed.

And as mentioned, is, and always has been drilled and tapped in the proper location.

Next plan is isolating the CC vent lines to eliminate any possibility of Excessive CC pressure ( 50,000 miles ) introducing a burst of saturated Air/Oil into all intakes at throttle ( Butterfly ) shutdown, which is when the smoke appears. ------- Throttle shutdown/Vacuum spike, evacuating the CC.

Insidently, He is one of the most contientious drivers I know--vehicle warm up,Turbo cool down and not exceeding the limitations of the system.
Good stuff Eazzzy. You are spot on with your second point of investigation. Crank Case venting would be the next place I looked....
Old 04-26-2007, 06:48 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
You should act in a more proffesional manner and not talk to people about me @ auto shows you think don't know me. You started this sh*t. Your a liar and I called you out on it. Amazing how that thread was just deleted. Dissapeared into thin air. Everything I posted is in a public forum for every person with an internet connection to see. That's hardly doing anything behind anyones back. WHO GIVES A SH*T IF THE WARRANTY WAS IN EFFECTR OR NOT. I HAD THE PROBLEM THE FIRST MONTH I OWNED THE KIT!!! I put up with all the bullsh*t from Turbonetics I was going to take concerning this matter. Your turbo's suck and are know to leak oil! This is a known problem at Turbonetics that these seals are leaking because Rob offered to get me a liquid coolling kit to cool the bearing section because they though that might be the problem with all these turbo's leaking oil. Liquid cooling kit never materialized. Maybe I should find someone who does give a sh*t @ turbonetics and tell them about the warranty **** you pulled with me and Sharif concerning the torn oil line and turbo fitting. Ed .... you just suck!!!

JET
And these spaz out sessions are your exact issue. As stated above, make your own thread if you wish to continue. At least give this one a chance to be productive.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Honestly Jetpilot haven't we already done this once. I understand you are upset and that you are not happy. You have made that abundantly clearly on several threads. At some point enough is enough. I think I did everything I could to help you with your issues and I'm sorry you don't feel that Ed and the crew at Turbonetics did also. In the end pouring this all over the forum again and again isn't helping anyone here. Out of respect to solidsnake can we let this thread roll on without the drama. I'm sure he would like to get more input on his issue without the clutter of an e-argument...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:14 AM
Enron Exec

So what is the expected life of the turbo once it has a bad seal like solidsnakes? I would think it still can live a long life, but you just have to live with the smoke on decel. I ask because i dont want to spend 1400 on pulling my motor to replace 1 bad turbo seal. And since im ****, i will prob end up replacing both turbo seals on my APS.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:20 AM
zzerotwosixty

S. Snake you really need a turbo timer in 100+ Texas heat it will extend the life of your seals greatly, set it at 3 minutes. I meant to upgrade to a better Turbonetics turbo. Maybe one with real bearings instead of journal bearings. You say the original lasted you two years, I think you got your moneys worth out of that one. The candle that burns at both ends burns twice as bright, and twice as fast.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
You should act in a more proffesional manner and not talk to people about me @ auto shows you think don't know me. You started this sh*t. Your a liar and I called you out on it. Amazing how that thread was just deleted. Dissapeared into thin air. Everything I posted is in a public forum for every person with an internet connection to see. That's hardly doing anything behind anyones back. WHO GIVES A SH*T IF THE WARRANTY WAS IN EFFECTR OR NOT. I HAD THE PROBLEM THE FIRST MONTH I OWNED THE KIT!!! I put up with all the bullsh*t from Turbonetics I was going to take concerning this matter. Your turbo's suck and are know to leak oil! This is a known problem at Turbonetics that these seals are leaking because Rob offered to get me a liquid coolling kit to cool the bearing section because they though that might be the problem with all these turbo's leaking oil. Liquid cooling kit never materialized. Maybe I should find someone who does give a sh*t @ turbonetics and tell them about the warranty **** you pulled with me and Sharif concerning the torn oil line and turbo fitting. Ed .... you just suck!!!

JET

So once again your problem was not the turbo's but you fail to relize that for what reason I have no idea. The paperwork we got back on your last turbo stated clearly NO MAJOR PROBLEMS ON TURBO. I even informed you of that but we still changed a few MINOR part with the turbo just incase. The seals were intact although there was minor oil residue or coking on the unit. I don't really see how you expect someone to go out of the way for you with the attitude you have and in addition listening to reasoning or logic. However this thread is not based on your whining and or crying and I am not here to ruin Phils issue with your useless post so cry troll somewhere else. You can say what you want about TN but if our " turbos suck and are known to leak oil " then we must have survived for 29 yrs by luck right? I also assume it is safe to say our sponsored racers are leaking oil down the track at the NDRA races but are somehow breaking records. If you have any others issues why don't you contact Reggie on this and complain on how I or we treated you on this issue. You have the number otherwise like I said make your own thread on this ................Phil sorry for the thread derailment .
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by Enron Exec
So what is the expected life of the turbo once it has a bad seal like solidsnakes? I would think it still can live a long life, but you just have to live with the smoke on decel. I ask because i dont want to spend 1400 on pulling my motor to replace 1 bad turbo seal. And since im ****, i will prob end up replacing both turbo seals on my APS.

The leaking oil seal is a convenient warning that your bearings need replacing. When I took mine off there was alot of side play on the shaft.
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
S. Snake you really need a turbo timer in 100+ Texas heat it will extend the life of your seals greatly, set it at 3 minutes. I meant to upgrade to a better Turbonetics turbo. Maybe one with real bearings instead of journal bearings. You say the original lasted you two years, I think you got your moneys worth out of that one. The candle that burns at both ends burns twice as bright, and twice as fast.
I agree he should get a turbo timer... aside from that the turbo he has is a ceramic ball bearing unit...
Old 04-26-2007, 07:42 AM
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
I agree he should get a turbo timer... aside from that the turbo he has is a ceramic ball bearing unit...

Can't get any better than that, now I know why it lasted two years. Just get a new replacement and a timer you should live happily ever after.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:18 AM
Eazzy

It would be a convience for him, but he RELIGOUSLY allows 3 minute ++ cool down times
Old 04-26-2007, 08:40 AM
redline350ZZ

What would the chances be of it still being the oil seal if there was no oil in the intercooler?
Old 04-26-2007, 08:54 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely the PCV, like alberto said, or the turbo seals.

FYI, our ECU turn off all injectors on decel, so there is nop possibility of unburned fuel on decel escaping the pipes.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:17 AM
zzerotwosixty

There may be wear on the shaft causing the new seals to leak right away. I would try to get a new one.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
solidsnake

Picked up the car today from tuning and of course oil was everywhere. most of it was leaking out of the BOV. I hope to get this problem fixed tomorrow. Thank you guys for all the help. I will keep ya'll updated as soon as we can isolate the problem and proceed with a normal life of boosting
Old 04-26-2007, 12:54 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

i have a faulty utec which was driving the injectors wide open at idle in one bank. in my true dual exhaust this resulted in the driver's side exhaust to be pure white smoke. i also discovered i had an exhaust leak cause fuel started sputtering out of my exhaust at idle at the leak!

are you able to read/log A/F ratio? Are those rich? Do you have fuel vapor odor?
Old 04-26-2007, 02:38 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by rcdash
i have a faulty utec which was driving the injectors wide open at idle in one bank. in my true dual exhaust this resulted in the driver's side exhaust to be pure white smoke. i also discovered i had an exhaust leak cause fuel started sputtering out of my exhaust at idle at the leak!

are you able to read/log A/F ratio? Are those rich? Do you have fuel vapor odor?

the car just got tuned to the a/f is perfecto. No fuel vapors. Just a ton of oil in the intake pipe and dripping out the blow off valve.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:40 PM
solidsnake

The car isnt my daily driver and like eazzzzzy set, I always let it cool down after a hard drive. And not to mention I only drive it at night so the temp is between 70-80. A turbo timer is the least of my worries at this point. Im not ashamed to sit in the car or leave it running while it cools.
Old 04-26-2007, 02:55 PM
Eazzy

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Im not ashamed to sit in the car or leave it running while it cools.
I often wonder just WHAT it IS he's doing while sitting in the car, but seems to be content doing it

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*