Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 05:30 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by davidf
Have you contacted Turbonetics about this since your reinstall? Maybe they need to hear about this. Surely they've got some input!
Yeah I have already spoken to Ed and he is currently discussing this with his coworkers.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:39 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The route JETPILOT went was the

"put the turbo on, take the turbo off, return to Turboentics for rebuild"

What a terrible way I handled it. Don't dare go down the route I took. No body @ Turbonetics cares about any problem that can't be fixed simply and easilly. My last turbo was returned to me and was told it was examined and has no issues and it is pissing oil in both the intake and exhaust side as we speak. Oil pressure is normal and so is the kit install. What a waste of $5000.

JET
I'm talking about trash talking incessantly here on the boards. It's obvious that you reached the point that you were intent on wrecking reputations rather than continuing to work through the problem. I haven't been there for the whole situation, but I have heard both sides of your case. I've made my own assumptions but some things still don't add up.

Perhaps you should leave your complaining out of this thread and see if solidsnake has luck with resolution of his problem. Rather than derailing this issue and taking the focus away from helping him, you could let him try to get some positive assistance on the issue.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:49 PM
solidsnake

Anyone else have input on what to check. Im going to drive the car for a week and see how it goes. Next weekend we will do some tests and see wassup. I hope that I dont have to send the turbo back to tnetics but if it comes down to it I will because its still under the 90day repair warranty. Thank god the Z isnt my daily driver or I would be making one taxi driver really rich right about now
Old 04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check all PCV lines. When I returned to MD from Forged under decel I had giant blinding traffic smoke, I was like WTF? Upon further inspection one of my PVC lines, from Catch can to drivers side valve cover was pinched and was causing this. Upon disconnecting (temporary) and later replacing the line I had no issues. A buddy's VW 1.8T also had this issue. We replaced the turbo thinking it was the seals, come to find out it was a pinched PCV hose. Check them all. From passenger side valve cover to hard line on bottom plenum or to catch can if you have one and back into the motor.

Last edited by Alberto; 04-25-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:15 PM
taurran

Good call.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:16 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by Alberto
Check all PCS lines. When I returned to MD from Forged under decel I had giant blind traffic smoke, I Was like WTF? Upon further inspection one of my PVC lines, from Catch can to drivers side valve cover was pinched and was causing this. Upon disconnecting (temporary) and later replacing the line I had no issues. A buddy's VW 1.8T also had this issue. We replaced the turbo thinking it was the seals, come to find out it was a pinched PCV hose. Check them all. From passenger side valve cover to hard line on bottom plenum or to catch can if you have one and back into the motor.

I didnt even think of that. We will do that asap. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:17 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

NP-good luck and keep us updated. Sometimes its those little things that can be a major PITA.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:20 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by Alberto
NP-good luck and keep us updated. Sometimes its those little things that can be a major PITA.

I get the car back from tuning tomorrow and I will check it all out on friday. I hope this time it is one of those little problems.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:30 PM
Eazzy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Solidsnake.... Welcome to the club that no one at Turbonetics wants to admit exists. I'm on my 3rd or 4th turbo now from Turbonetics with no solution and no help from anyone @ Turbonetics (especially from Ed)... Sooooooo good luck because you are on your own over there. There are more than a few here who have the same problem. Turbonetics will tell you it's a bad install etc etc etc... Then when your warranty finally runs out they will tell you your sh*t out of luck you have no warranty left.

Now you will see the usual... Miaplaya, taurran, chimike defending Turbonetics to the death telling you that after so many miles they have no problems etc etc. Let the games begin!!!!

JET
Larry ----Im involved in this ordeal --The Games have begun, Im having all crankcase lines isolated in the morn to eliminate possible CC blowby introduction
Old 04-25-2007, 06:54 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure in the mean time that you keep an eye on your oil level, if you're going to continue driving the car.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:56 PM
MIAPLAYA

Could be the oil return line is not properlly routed. Do you have a catch can.
Old 04-25-2007, 06:59 PM
redline350ZZ

Weeeee that is the same exact thing my Z is doing. Same amount of smoke and all. Only thing is mine does it at idle now too.
Old 04-25-2007, 07:31 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Weeeee that is the same exact thing my Z is doing. Same amount of smoke and all. Only thing is mine does it at idle now too.

And your still driving it? So far its me, you and jetpilot with the smoking issue. Anyone else?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:29 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Solidsnake
2. Eazzzzzzy
3. Redline350ZZ
4. JETPILOT

Things to check....

1. Check drainline runs downill all the way to the pan
2. Use 10/W30 oil
3. Check PCV lines
4. Do not use an oil pan spacer
5. Check oil drain has no obstructions
6. Check oil pressure is withing normal range
7. Return turbo for inspection and rebuild

If you have done those things and your still smoking then you are in the same boat as I am ... the one that sank with any hope of me selling this kit to anyone else and being able to sleep at night.

Sorry to hear your having problems too Eazzzzzzzzy!!!

JET
Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 PM
solidsnake

1. Solidsnake
2. Eazzzzzzy
3. Redline350ZZ
4. JETPILOT

Things to check....

1. Check drainline runs downill all the way to the pan
2. Use 10/W30 oil
3. Check PCV lines
4. Do not use an oil pan spacer
5. Check oil drain has no obstructions
6. Check oil pressure is withing normal range
7. Return turbo for inspection and rebuild

If you have done those things and your still smoking then you are in the same boat as I am ... the one that sank with any hope of me selling this kit to anyone else and being able to sleep at night.

Sorry to hear your having problems too Eazzzzzzzzy!!!

JET

Eazzzzzzy is my mechanic. He is the one working on this issue. You said "4. Do not use an oil pan spacer", is there a reason why we shouldnt? I have a JWT spacer on the car now and was thinking and probably WILL take it off.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:53 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Eazzzzzzy is my mechanic. He is the one working on this issue. You said "4. Do not use an oil pan spacer", is there a reason why we shouldnt? I have a JWT spacer on the car now and was thinking and probably WILL take it off.
I think he means don't have the oil returned to a tap in the spacer. It's best not to return oil into standing pool of oil in the pan, although I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. (and you said your upper pan was tapped)

I'm interested in how long each person that have had this issue have been running the kit, and how many miles they have on the turbo. Also, what other cooling mods are you running? (header wrap, turbo blanket, heat shields, etc, etc)

Last edited by taurran; 04-25-2007 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM
carfi179

hope I wont be part of that list. my turbonetics is getting installed at a local shop with JWT oil pan, JET PILOT why you recommend not to use an oil pan?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:57 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by carfi179
hope I wont be part of that list. my turbonetics is getting installed at a local shop with JWT oil pan, JET PILOT why you recommend not to use an oil pan?
Read my above post. We recommend that you tap the UPPER pan like the kit instructions suggest. The oil pan itself is fine. I'm actually running a JWT spacer now and it works great.

I'm not necessarily saying that tapping the pan will cause issues, but basic turbo 101 says tap the oil return as high as possible.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:00 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by taurran
I think he means don't have the oil returned to a tap in the spacer. It's best not to return oil into standing pool of oil in the pan, although I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. (and you said your upper pan was tapped)

I'm interested in how long each person that have had this issue have been running the kit, and how many miles they have on the turbo. Also, what other cooling mods are you running? (header wrap, turbo blanket, heat shields, etc, etc)
The only other cooling mod is of course the heat tape. He wrapped all the lower pipes underneath the turbo. No turbo blanket or shields. I also have a plenum spacer if you consider that a cooling mod. I have had the kit for about 2yrs now with an estimated 20k miles or more. Out of all that time this is the only major issue I have had. So thats why I cant complain about the kit because prior to this I was very happy with it. I still am but we just have to get past this little bump in the road.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:01 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by taurran
Read my above post. We recommend that you tap the UPPER pan like the kit instructions suggest. The oil pan itself is fine. I'm actually running a JWT spacer now and it works great.

I'm not necessarily saying that tapping the pan will cause issues, but basic turbo 101 says tap the oil return as high as possible.

If I recall he tapped in directly into the block. So the oil spacer shouldnt have anything to do with this problem but Im still going to remove it because its not useful to me considering I dont track the car and its not my daily driver.

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*