Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 09:02 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by solidsnake
The only other cooling mod is of course the heat tape. He wrapped all the lower pipes underneath the turbo. No turbo blanket or shields. I also have a plenum spacer if you consider that a cooling mod. I have had the kit for about 2yrs now with an estimated 20k miles or more. Out of all that time this is the only major issue I have had. So thats why I cant complain about the kit because prior to this I was very happy with it. I still am but we just have to get past this little bump in the road.
I'm just wondering if this is actually oil related... I'm going to make a post on what I've been testing soon.

Also, what boost levels have you been running for the majority of the time you owned the kit?
Old 04-25-2007, 09:04 PM
carfi179

Solidsnake, good luck with your findings and keep us update!
Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I'm just wondering if this is actually oil related... I'm going to make a post on what I've been testing soon.

Also, what boost levels have you been running for the majority of the time you owned the kit?
Well like most owners I have had the 9pd srping on the car with the normal overboost spiking issue. I had the reflash on the car for the entire time up until 4months ago when I decided to get it reflashed by UpRev here in austin and after that it all went downhill. I decided to put a 7pd spring on the car now to prevent any spike. I lost a lot of power but Im not a dyno queen so I can care less about #'s. It pulls hard and looks good and thats all I care about.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:06 PM
redline350ZZ

I'm interested in how long each person that have had this issue have been running the kit, and how many miles they have on the turbo. Also, what other cooling mods are you running? (header wrap, turbo blanket, heat shields, etc, etc)

Started in November 2006, 12K miles on the Turbo, never raced at a track, only about 20 WOT runs and never to a speed over 80MPH. Bought the kit in October 2005. I have my Oil pan spacer tap'd and mentioned to the shop that my Z is at that maybe we should reroute it. They said it's highly unlikely that this would be the cause. Apparently compared to the design of many other kits they have seen the return the TN kit uses should be more than adequate and I have the AAM line too. I will mention to have them check the PCV lines.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:09 PM
thawk408

What about the turbo getting to much oil? I know that garret recommends that there only be around 40-45 psi of oil pressure going to their BB turbo.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Started in November 2006, 12K miles on the Turbo, never raced at a track, only about 20 WOT runs and never to a speed over 80MPH. Bought the kit in October 2005. I have my Oil pan spacer tap'd and mentioned to the shop that my Z is at that maybe we should reroute it. They said it's highly unlikely that this would be the cause. Apparently compared to the design of many other kits they have seen the return the TN kit uses should be more than adequate and I have the AAM line too. I will mention to have them check the PCV lines.

Well at least Im not the only person with this problem. But I hope to find a solution really soon so I can go back to driving my car. It sucks having to go from a fast sports car to driving a ford f-150 on a daily basis. All my buddies are loosing hope in me since I havent been to the meets or car shows. Im gonna sell the car for an RSX type- S or something similiar
Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM
taurran

Well like most owners I have had the 9pd srping on the car with the normal overboost spiking issue. I had the reflash on the car for the entire time up until 4months ago when I decided to get it reflashed by UpRev here in austin and after that it all went downhill. I decided to put a 7pd spring on the car now to prevent any spike. I lost a lot of power but Im not a dyno queen so I can care less about #'s. It pulls hard and looks good and thats all I care about.
I said the same thing until I decided to install the wastegate relocation this weekend. I was never experiencing "spiking" persay, just a creep that would boost up to my predetermined boost level, and then it would slowly creep up to about 9.5psi. As I stated, the wastegate relocation fixed that entirely. I'm now hitting solid boost levels in 4th gear and up under heavy load, and I can run roll races or highway runs without fear of boost creep. It's DEFINITELY worth the time for the install.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:14 PM
taurran

Well at least Im not the only person with this problem. But I hope to find a solution really soon so I can go back to driving my car. It sucks having to go from a fast sports car to driving a ford f-150 on a daily basis. All my buddies are loosing hope in me since I havent been to the meets or car shows. Im gonna sell the car for an RSX type- S or something similiar
You aren't. The only thing that doesn't really make sense to me at this point is why the turbo is still smoking even after getting it rebuilt...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:19 PM
solidsnake

You aren't. The only thing that doesn't really make sense to me at this point is why the turbo is still smoking even after getting it rebuilt...
That is the first thing that came to our heads was the excess oil left in the pipes and the intercooler. I cleaned them prior to reinstall but the intercooler could possibly still have some left over.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:35 PM
punish_her

I would vote oil return line. I had one kink on my Greddy TT and it was fairly easy to figure out because I have a true dual exhaust. So when I saw it was only the drivers side that was smoking it narrowed it down real quick.

It was smoking just like your video. It makes sence if you think about it. The fuid is flowing good on acceleration and when you let off there is an increase in pressure. Think of it as as compressor surge in the oil. If your return is obstructed in any way (kinked, too small, or wrong angles) the oil will push out of the seals.

MY .02.... get a larger return line. All of your other things look OK. Well as far as I can see.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:42 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by punish_her
I would vote oil return line. I had one kink on my Greddy TT and it was fairly easy to figure out because I have a true dual exhaust. So when I saw it was only the drivers side that was smoking it narrowed it down real quick.

It was smoking just like your video. It makes sence if you think about it. The fuid is flowing good on acceleration and when you let off there is an increase in pressure. Think of it as as compressor surge in the oil. If your return is obstructed in any way (kinked, too small, or wrong angles) the oil will push out of the seals.

MY .02.... get a larger return line. All of your other things look OK. Well as far as I can see.

That is excatly what my mechanic said. We hope thats the problem and im sure it is. Thanks for your input.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I'm on my 3rd or 4th turbo now from Turbonetics with no solution and no help from anyone @ Turbonetics (especially from Ed)... Sooooooo good luck because you are on your own over there.
JET
First of all YOU WERE NOT UNDER WARRANTY and second your attitude did not help the situation in helping you at all. If you had kept your pie hole shut I WOULD HAVE HELPED YOU but you had to resort to your own tactics. I in no way can cut corners or cheat the system HOWEVER I have pulled strings and made things happen for those who were not under warranty WITH approval and convincing of my supervisor. I drive the same car you do and have a long history on these forums and I do help me fellow Zers. Phill has been extremely patient with me and that makes things so much easier in helping him with his problems. He has a good attitude unlike you and your going behind our backs and posting lies about how we handled the situation. If we find out the the problem is his turbo then I WILL DO WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO HELP HIM. I frequent theses forums along with the others to answer what I can when a member has a problem. So before you post make sure you get all the details before misleading Phil....
Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM
redline350ZZ

Originally Posted by punish_her

Yea and Seth has my Z so we'll see what he say's hopefully tomorrow
Old 04-25-2007, 10:11 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
Yea and Seth has my Z so we'll see what he say's hopefully tomorrow

I hope it works out for you. This might be the problem. I will post an update on friday
Old 04-25-2007, 10:12 PM
zzerotwosixty

You'll regret it.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
You'll regret it.

Haha I was being a smarta$$. There is no way in hell I would get a FWD car.

I would rather get a poopra or 240sx.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:23 PM
zzerotwosixty

Do you have a turbo timer? Did they rebuild your old one or send you a new one? Maybe you should insist on a new one or upgrade to a better one. I had an RSX-S with Tubonetics turbo. It lasted 4000 miles before the seals started leaking.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:51 PM
solidsnake

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
Do you have a turbo timer? Did they rebuild your old one or send you a new one? Maybe you should insist on a new one or upgrade to a better one. I had an RSX-S with Tubonetics turbo. It lasted 4000 miles before the seals started leaking.

No I do not have a turbo timer but when I did drive it I would always let it idle for 2-3 min or longer depending on how hard I ran the car. They rebuilt the turbo. Uprgrading isnt an option considering the price for a garrett or something else.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed 718
First of all YOU WERE NOT UNDER WARRANTY and second your attitude did not help the situation in helping you at all. If you had kept your pie hole shut I WOULD HAVE HELPED YOU but you had to resort to your own tactics. I in no way can cut corners or cheat the system HOWEVER I have pulled strings and made things happen for those who were not under warranty WITH approval and convincing of my supervisor. I drive the same car you do and have a long history on these forums and I do help me fellow Zers. Phill has been extremely patient with me and that makes things so much easier in helping him with his problems. He has a good attitude unlike you and your going behind our backs and posting lies about how we handled the situation. If we find out the the problem is his turbo then I WILL DO WHAT I HAVE TO DO TO HELP HIM. I frequent theses forums along with the others to answer what I can when a member has a problem. So before you post make sure you get all the details before misleading Phil....
You should act in a more proffesional manner and not talk to people about me @ auto shows you think don't know me. You started this sh*t. Your a liar and I called you out on it. Amazing how that thread was just deleted. Dissapeared into thin air. Everything I posted is in a public forum for every person with an internet connection to see. That's hardly doing anything behind anyones back. WHO GIVES A SH*T IF THE WARRANTY WAS IN EFFECTR OR NOT. I HAD THE PROBLEM THE FIRST MONTH I OWNED THE KIT!!! I put up with all the bullsh*t from Turbonetics I was going to take concerning this matter. Your turbo's suck and are know to leak oil! This is a known problem at Turbonetics that these seals are leaking because Rob offered to get me a liquid coolling kit to cool the bearing section because they though that might be the problem with all these turbo's leaking oil. Liquid cooling kit never materialized. Maybe I should find someone who does give a sh*t @ turbonetics and tell them about the warranty **** you pulled with me and Sharif concerning the torn oil line and turbo fitting. Ed .... you just suck!!!

JET
Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 AM
punish_her

Common guys this realy isnt appropriate hijacking this guys thread. If there is bad blood here dont taint the water. We are working towards a common goal. The sooner we find out a solution the better.

Im pretty sure turbonetics has a supplier for their turbos. They dont make it all in house. The defect is between those turbos and these ST kits. Most of the signs point towards a pressure situation in the bearing housing. It may be as simple as the choice of bearings. BB turbo seals tend to leak under higher pressures and once they do they are more suseptable because a weak spot has been made in the seal. The 270 and higher thrust bearings are more rugged and resist penetration. They can with stand more pressure and generaly dont pass oil much after the problem is solved. Solve the pressure issue and you will solve your smoke problem.

There has to be a common problem. The likely hood of each of Jets' bearing failing successively,and the same with yours; points more towards other issues. Thats part swaping method of troubleshooting at its finest. Diagnose a problem, list the solutions, swap a part with a known good part, test. If the problem persists then you try another peice. How wide is the return on the ST kits? Each of the return lines on the greddy are alittle over 1/2" (or abouth 12.5mm). I would say ANY thing smaller than that for a turbo that size is asking for leaks.

Quick Reply: White smoke out the exhaust under decel???*Video inside*