Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 AM
vortechg35

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any ideas on getting more power out of this vortech are appreciated.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:20 AM
ekelly36

they are about 75 bucks on the vortech site or if you have a 3.12 I will trade you even.... you send me the 3.12 and I will send you the 2.87. I need to go with a little safer setup for a while.... I had some belt slip issues but they have a pulley mod you can do to fix it... im just on a really tight budget right now...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 AM
vortechg35

what's the pulley mod? I'll have to figure out if I have the 3.12 or not. Think I do. I'm not a mechanic of any sort so I'll have to take it to the shop.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:23 AM
ekelly36

there are only 3 sizes from vortech.... 3.33 (stock)7-8 psi 3.12 9-10psi and 2.87 11-12 psi. if you upgraded your pulley before then you have the 3.12 if not you have the 3.33 ... I dont know if it is possible to hit 9psi on a stock pulley... just measure it with a measuring tape....
Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 AM
vortechg35

OK it's the 3.12 then. If you want to trade that's probably fine. I'm not sure when I'll be able to though. I don't even have the SC running right now as my UTEC is broken and theyre very slow about fixing it. I could probably do it fairly soon since i'll have to get retuned anyway. Is there any way I could get the tuning map youre using as well so my mechanic will have somewhere to start?
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Car vs. Driver

Your current 9PSI map should be a good place to start to be honest ... your other bolt on mods vs. his will be too much of a mismatch to share base maps (based on your sig).
Old 10-10-2008, 09:47 AM
vortechg35

I had the SS box before. Since I got the car all put back together I added the UTEC which never worked right so I don't have any maps other than some base map so my car would run NA. I haven't actually run any boost on the new motor.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Car vs. Driver

Many people suggest starting with the turbonetics map on TurboXS's website.

Sharing maps is always like playing with fire - you never know what you're going to get, and you could wind up with a blown motor. Most people aren't willing to share either, consider that they probably paid a good bit of cash to have a tune done.

Your best bet is to just call your tuner and see what they recommend. Nine out of ten times, they'll simply tell you to tow it to the shop and they'll take care of it from there. Seeing that you have a built motor, I would assume you already had this conversation
Old 10-10-2008, 01:29 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

New question for all the Vortech experts (Sentry, Booger, or anyone else, etc)

I read earlier in this thread that having Technosquare flash the ECU for a Vortech tune is not recommended since the factory ECU cannot handle larger injectors, and that a piggyback or stand alone would be required....

I am reading the Uprev Osiris Thread and they say that with an experienced tuner, they can scale the injectors for forced induction...

So...can Osiris be used to tune for the Vortech, or is it still limited for the same reasons that Technosquare's tune would not work?

BTW, my setup when installed will be for a revup, 440cc injectors, walbro, and 2.87....
Old 10-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vortechg35
any ideas on getting more power out of this vortech are appreciated.

Billet 928M impeller
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by 350z006
Here's some videos from a member on the 350**tech forum; you can definitely hear the BPV:

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_3386.flv
http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/n...t=MVI_3387.flv
Me like!
Old 10-10-2008, 05:10 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Originally Posted by 350z006
New question for all the Vortech experts (Sentry, Booger, or anyone else, etc)

I read earlier in this thread that having Technosquare flash the ECU for a Vortech tune is not recommended since the factory ECU cannot handle larger injectors, and that a piggyback or stand alone would be required....

I am reading the Uprev Osiris Thread and they say that with an experienced tuner, they can scale the injectors for forced induction...

So...can Osiris be used to tune for the Vortech, or is it still limited for the same reasons that Technosquare's tune would not work?

BTW, my setup when installed will be for a revup, 440cc injectors, walbro, and 2.87....

I don't know much about Osiris so I can't comment on it specifically, but other than standalones, ECU flashes are the best way to scale injectors.

Most piggybacks intercept the ECU signal and control the engine in a more indirect way. With the ECU properly flashed for larger injectors, there is no translation between different injector sizes because it's the right scale from the very start. You'll get a smoother running car and smoother idle etc

With the Z/G, people don't recommend ECU flashes for turbos and somehow that's turned into a misconception applying to supercharging as well and that's not true. Superchargers love ECU flashes and being fine tuned with with a simple piggyback

The Z's ECU does not have a "3D" map to work with variable boost, rpms, and throttle position.
It has a 2D map between just rpms and throttle position. So for a turbo setup to run ideally, you need all 3 things addressed. I'm not sure how Cobb's Access Port or Osiris or whatever will address variable boost. It might be they've gotten the ECU to add that parameter to the ECU?

With a supercharger, the drive belt physically eliminates the need for a variable boost map because the supercharger rpms are directly tied to the engine rpms. There isn't a varying degree of "lag" in different gears

Last edited by sentry65; 10-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:43 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

^ ^ I see...

Let me clarify....I mis-read the previous post about Technosquare...Apparently the issue with the ECU flash isn't about the fuel, but about boost and air measurement...

But from what you have said Sentry, and from some further readings...a combo ECU re-flash/piggyback will get the job done...

I guess my question now is is whether a ECU reflash would be sufficient for a good Vortech tune BY ITSELF (no piggyback)....I do have a SS box, but I was hoping to do a ECU-re-flash by itself so i wouldn't have to bother with installing the piggy back and paying for the piggyback tune...

I kinda have a feeling that I would probably have to do both (ECU reflash and piggyback tune) in order to have a relatively smooth performing setup...oh well...both combined it is still cheaper than an FCON install and tune...

Originally Posted by sentry65
I don't know much about Osiris so I can't comment on it specifically, but other than standalones, ECU flashes are the best way to scale injectors.

Most piggybacks intercept the ECU signal and control the engine in a more indirect way. With the ECU properly flashed for larger injectors, there is no translation between different injector sizes because it's the right scale from the very start. You'll get a smoother running car and smoother idle etc

With the Z/G, people don't recommend ECU flashes for turbos and somehow that's turned into a misconception applying to supercharging as well and that's not true. Superchargers love ECU flashes and being fine tuned with with a simple piggyback

The Z's ECU does not have a "3D" map to work with variable boost, rpms, and throttle position.
It has a 2D map between just rpms and throttle position. So for a turbo setup to run ideally, you need all 3 things addressed. I'm not sure how Cobb's Access Port or Osiris or whatever will address variable boost. It might be they've gotten the ECU to add that parameter to the ECU?

With a supercharger, the drive belt physically eliminates the need for a variable boost map because the supercharger rpms are directly tied to the engine rpms. There isn't a varying degree of "lag" in different gears

Last edited by 350z006; 10-10-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:36 PM
sentry65
the burninator

well in theory the ECU will run the vortech just fine up to a point anyway. But in practice it'll be such a hit or miss process of trial and error that it's just better to have a piggyback on there to make adjustments on the fly while you're on the dyno instead of pulling out your ECU, mailing to technosquare, waiting, and finally reinstall it for every single tweak. That could make the tuning process take months instead of hours and cost way more in dyno expenses. Maybe if you went to TS or AAM, they could do it right there quicker, but IMO for the rest of us a piggyback to fine tune the ECU's tune is the way to go with way larger injectors...or full standalone

I used to hear back in the day that something like 8 psi is where the MAF maxes out or something like that and that very well could be true - I'm not really sure. It worked fine on my car though and it seems to work fine on other people's cars at much higher levels than 8 psi. But the thing is we all had piggybacks and could tune the car adding and cutting fuel where needed even if the ECU was plateauing out.

I know Cobb is trying to work on getting their Access Port out to market to be able to handle FI (I was given the opportunity to be their first beta tester for FI application a week ago, but am happy with my Fcon). With it, you'll be able to tune the car on the fly at the ECU level and have complete access to all the ECU's logs and sensor info.

Last edited by sentry65; 10-10-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:58 AM
ekelly36

supposidly UPREV/ Osiris is able to do a flash for supercharged vehicles where thats all you need is the flash. You would need to take it to them and have them do the tune on their dyno though....
Old 10-15-2008, 11:50 AM
vortechg35

I have the AAM fuel system but it's the basic one without the rails and I also have a walbro 255. Theyre all new and havent been on the car yet. I had to take off the vortech FMU. I'm also on stock injectors. Will I have fuel issues if I run the 3.12 or even the 2.87? I'm not mechanical so please let me know what I need to be safe. I plan on getting larger injectors and probably fuel rails if needed, just not right now.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Car vs. Driver

Originally Posted by vortechg35
I have the AAM fuel system but it's the basic one without the rails and I also have a walbro 255. Theyre all new and havent been on the car yet. I had to take off the vortech FMU. I'm also on stock injectors. Will I have fuel issues if I run the 3.12 or even the 2.87? I'm not mechanical so please let me know what I need to be safe. I plan on getting larger injectors and probably fuel rails if needed, just not right now.
You're probably OK with the 3.12 due to the return setup. With the 2.87 you should probably pick up a set of 440's at least. They're cheap enough (around $200) and easy to find in the for sale forums.
Old 10-19-2008, 09:02 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 03 5AT and I'm running 7# boost. Anyone have any ideas how to get the tranny to shift faster with this new power. I HAVE A STILLEN SHIFT KIT ALREADY INSTALLED. When I drag race it, it shift too slow and the engine goes up and hits the rev limiter between shifts. If I shift at lower rpm's it shifts quick, but i lose the advantage of the higher rpm's.
I am shifting 1000 rpms before redline and it is still hitting the limiter.

Any ideas? Love the S/C
Old 10-24-2008, 09:27 AM
vortechg35

$200 for injectors? never seen prices anywhere near 200
Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 AM
Car vs. Driver

440's sell for about $200 used on the forums .....

RC $250 asking price:
https://my350z.com/forum/engine/3720...injectors.html

RC $150 shipped:
https://my350z.com/forum/turbos-nitr...injectors.html

Search, there's quite a few more.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions