Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 PM
Car vs. Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't waste your cash on the stillen setup, seriously, don't bother. You're better off with the vortech full kit. You'll be throwing money away otherwise. (You can probably find a used full kit for a good price on here)

Do a search on the Stillen kit ... there will be countless threads on why you shouln't go that route.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:06 AM
Xendric

I picked up my vortech tuner kit a couple of weeks ago, and i had it booked for an installation yesterday.
However, we couldn't fit the moutning plate, because the hole in the middle of it wasn't enough to clear the engine parts that should go through it (VANOS?).

It appears we got the mounting plate illustrated on the first attached pic of post #3, while we probably need the one in the last pic of the same post, for my revup.

I've talked to the vendor I bought it from and he's talking to Vortech about it.
We 've considered modifying the plate to make it fit, but a)I'm not sure I wanna start cutting a brand new piece and b)we're concerned we might not get a perfect alignment of the mounting plate cogs with the rest of the cogs driven by the belt, which would result to belt slippage, bearing damage etc.

What do you think?

PS: Awesome thread, so much useful info in here!
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Car vs. Driver

Don't mod the mounting bracket, just get the correct one for your car.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Xendric

Yes, according to the vendor, Vortech is sending me the correct plate and other missing parts next week.
Too bad I 'll have my car parked in the garage for 2 weeks, but at least everything seems to get sorted now.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:09 AM
nothix

Originally Posted by Xendric
Yes, according to the vendor, Vortech is sending me the correct plate and other missing parts next week.
Too bad I 'll have my car parked in the garage for 2 weeks, but at least everything seems to get sorted now.
patience is a virtue, definitely worth the wait
Old 03-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Asian Invasian

whats the target a:f ratio? 11.0? 11.2?
Old 03-04-2009, 06:14 AM
Asian Invasian

Also, which setup is going to be more safe:

1: Bone stock + good tune + full kit
2: 2.25" exhaust + good tune + full kit

I know its more safe to run less boost and more hp which would be setup #2, but I also know setup #1 will have less hp and less torque so that could also be safer for my stock block..

I dont want a whole lot more hp 330-350whp is fine.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Car vs. Driver

Originally Posted by Asian Invasian
Also, which setup is going to be more safe:

1: Bone stock + good tune + full kit
2: 2.25" exhaust + good tune + full kit

I know its more safe to run less boost and more hp which would be setup #2, but I also know setup #1 will have less hp and less torque so that could also be safer for my stock block..

I dont want a whole lot more hp 330-350whp is fine.
You'll be fine with either one ... depending on fuel system and ECU.

Really, it boils down to how good your fuel system is and how aggressive your tune is.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
You'll be fine with either one ... depending on fuel system and ECU.

Really, it boils down to how good your fuel system is and how aggressive your tune is.
What about if I just go with the FMU provided with the full vortech kit?

I want my tune to not be aggressive.. im not sure what that accounts for because I don't tune cars but maybe 11.0-11.5?

Last edited by Asian Invasian; 03-04-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM
nothix

almost everyone will tell you to go with the Vortech Tuner kit, Injectors, Fuel Pump, and UTEC

And I agree
I'd say
-Vortech Tuner
-Deatschwerk 600cc
-Walbro 255lph
-UTEC

You can find UTECs really cheap these days everything besides tuner kit will set you back about $1,000-$1,500
Old 03-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Car vs. Driver

+1 .. ditch the FMU and SS box.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:52 AM
Asian Invasian

only problem with that is my budget. There have been plently of nice used full kits going for about 3500 or so. Then I have to pay for install and a tune which is another 1500.. my budget is 5,000 so it seems perfect.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:03 AM
Car vs. Driver

only problem with that is my budget. There have been plently of nice used full kits going for about 3500 or so. Then I have to pay for install and a tune which is another 1500.. my budget is 5,000 so it seems perfect.
IMHO ...

That's crap. You should plan to add a new motor to your budget then. I firmly believe the FMU/SS box combination is just a recipe for disaster. Sure, people have had good luck with it, but it's a magical black box and a band-aid fuel system at best.

You either do FI right the first time, or you spend even more money down the road to correct your mistakes and do it again.

Just my $.02 as I'm certain there are people who will disagree. Honestly, when you go FI you need to completely disregard the whole concept of budget and just open up your wallet.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Asian Invasian

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
IMHO ...

That's crap. You should plan to add a new motor to your budget then. I firmly believe the FMU/SS box combination is just a recipe for disaster. Sure, people have had good luck with it, but it's a magical black box and a band-aid fuel system at best.

You either do FI right the first time, or you spend even more money down the road to correct your mistakes and do it again.

Just my $.02 as I'm certain there are people who will disagree. Honestly, when you go FI you need to completely disregard the whole concept of budget and just open up your wallet.
Damn.

You say full kit is recipe for disaster.

Thread says full kit is fine with a good tune.

"- the full kit is fairly complete. It comes with everything you need to get up and running safely. For 400whp or less, it works just fine and is really all you'll need."

Old 03-04-2009, 10:33 AM
Car vs. Driver

Like I said, everyone has their own opinion on it. My preference was not to rely on an out of the box solution for tuning and fuel, one size doesn't necessarily fit all here.

So, with that said, I went with a UTEC and a much more reliable (and tuneable) fuel system.

Again, I don't claim to be the Vortech expert here. Their kit out of the box could be just fine - people have had success with it, I'm certain they'll chime in here soon. My point is that when going FI you have to be ready for anything to go wrong, not work or blow up if you don't plan accordingly.

Fuel and tuning are the most important things in this equation. Not enough of either and you're done.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:18 PM
Asian Invasian

maybe ill just keep saving and build + turbo.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:40 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

5000 is very tight. But you have to know, you can not set your budget on FI, always more. (either sc or turbo )

If you wants to go sc, here is $ i paid so far.

tuner kit ( new ) - little more than 3500
Utec - 600 ( new, but bought from one of member who decided not to use it)
3.12/filter - 100

I'm installing kit myself ( just a kit, i don't have a enough time to do all other stuff ) that saving me atleast 1k. If you look at my build pictures, you have an idea i'm didn't even touch my N/A belts, which i will just put the kit and drive like n/a. ( That's good thing about SC )

What i need more..
- injector/fuel pump/tune/etc...- i'm looking at another 1500 to finish it up.

But i rather choose new kit, under 5000 and install them yourself and pay for tune. you will finish everything under 6000.
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 AM
Car vs. Driver

I've actually never added it up for mine ... lets see if I can remember it all ...

Vortech Tuner Kit, UTEC and Walbro 255: $4000 (new)
DW 600cc Injectors: $550 (new)
2.87 Pulley: $50 (new)
FunctionTUNED Fuel Return & Tune: $1500 (including labor)
UR 14.5lb Flywheel, Southbend Stage II Clutch, Braided Clutch Line: $750 (new)

Plus all of the other mods on the car ... exhaust, headers, suspension, brakes, wheels & tires ...

I installed everything myself except for the fuel return. Dave set that up for me on the day of the tune as I wasn't sure if I was going to get it or not until about a week or so prior. Doing it myself would've saved me a few hundred bucks, but Dave is the man and did a great job on my car.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when I started this thread, it was just for the sole purpose to relay a bunch of answers or opinions about most of the questions that get asked. I never meant for this thread to become the bible of all that is vortech and it to never be questioned. I'd only hope people would develop their own opinion and can think for themselves.

I don't have direct experience with the SS box. It doesn't seem like the best thing out there, and I'm sure it has flaws like anything else. Some people really hate it, but at the same time a lot of people have gotten good results with it and it hasn't proven to have any serious fatal flaw other than maybe who's doing the tuning.

Last edited by sentry65; 03-05-2009 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Oh yea.. Anyone had issue with fitting pipe that goes into blower and bov pipe? I post pictures on other thread...

Come HELP~!!
Click my sig

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions