Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 11:25 AM
catcapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why do I need to have the fmic between the blower on my Vortech and the MAF. It would be so much easier to have the blower between the MAF and the fmic. Thanx
Old 12-15-2009, 12:10 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the purpose of the FMIC is to cool the air being compressed by the supercharger.

therefore the only way to do that is supercharger>FMIC>MAF

I would not ask anymore questions of that caliber on this forum without searching google 1st.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:49 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by catcapt
Why do I need to have the fmic between the blower on my Vortech and the MAF. It would be so much easier to have the blower between the MAF and the fmic. Thanx
like str8 said, it cools the air coming from the supercharger. supercharger is hot therefore the air coming out of it needs to be cooled down.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:23 AM
jouvert00

Originally Posted by str8dum1
the purpose of the FMIC is to cool the air being compressed by the supercharger.

therefore the only way to do that is supercharger>FMIC>MAF

I would not ask anymore questions of that caliber on this forum without searching google 1st.
Whatever happened to Sentry? haven't seen any post from him in a while.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by jouvert00
Whatever happened to Sentry? haven't seen any post from him in a while.
Last thing I know is he said he got a GTM shortblock, n didn't hear anything after that.

Edit: he was giving me an advice about aps exhaust at that time. So it was while ago.

Last edited by Chef-J; 12-16-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
catcapt

Thanx for the info. I'm installing in the next two weeks! I'm all geeked up about it and this thread has really helped.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally, my time has come, i'm getting the following (very soon):

- Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z V3 SQ T-Trim (no Charge Cooler), Polished
- TurboXS UTEC
- Deatschwerks 600cc Injectors
- 3.12 pulley (thinking of going directly to 2.87)
- Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
- NGK 1 step colder spark plugs (iridium)
- Tranny oil cooler (looking for something good for the A/T *would appreciate recommendations*)
- Koyo 36mm radiator (one that would fit A/T Z *would appreciate recommendations*)
-VB Upgrade (TransGo kit)

my car is 2006 non-rev A/T 350z.

i currently have:

-Stillen CAI
-MD Plenum Spacer 5/16 iso thermal
-Berk HFC
-Borla TD exhaust
-Osiris base map

i'm gonna sell the Osiris as i'm seeing it being useless to me with the turn around for etunes takes forever + there isn't anyone in the country who know how to tune with it..

questions:

1st and foremost, is this setup considered safe?
2- my goal is a maximum of 420whp.. not trying to push it on stock block. achieveable with this setup? should i change anything to achieve it?
3- will i require a catch can?
4- shall i go with 2.87 pulley directly?
5- will i require an oil pan spacer?

and thanks to everyone who participated in this thread with info and technical details.. this is one of the best threads i've read on this forum. props to all and specially to the OP..

Last edited by maXmood; 12-22-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:48 AM
pntfrk69

that should be fine for what you want, you'll prolly need the 2.87 pulley though. your deff going to want to get an IC. The v3 doesn't require any tapping for oil, its self contained so there isnt a need for a spacer. and a catch can is safer but not required
Old 12-22-2009, 07:17 AM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maXmood

- Koyo 36mm radiator (one that would fit A/T Z *would appreciate recommendations*)
-
VB Upgrade (TransGo kit)

I would also be interested in comments on cooling a 2003 5AT /Vortech.
The Transgo VB upgrade is a hot setup. I love mine. The Stillen VB is a POS.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:59 AM
binder

You need an intercooler.

where did you find a v3 T-trim? Vortech doesn't list it anywhere and i've never seen it advertised anywhere. They list their T-trims as V1. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php

Since you're stock block the 2.87 might be a little too much with a T-trim. I know the Sc trim will be fine on a 2.87 but the T-trim flows more.

What would you put in place of the osiris? It's a great tuning tool. Are there shops around that tune other things? If not then it won't matter because you will have to learn to tune with it one way or another. I see you said utec. You'll want to keep osiris to help with idle issues.

Catch can is a good idea. Cheap.

You wo'nt need an oil pan spacer.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:04 AM
350Z400rwhp

- Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z V3 SQ T-Trim (no Charge Cooler), Polished
- TurboXS UTEC
- Deatschwerks 600cc Injectors
- 3.12 pulley (thinking of going directly to 2.87)
- Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
- NGK 1 step colder spark plugs (iridium)
- Tranny oil cooler (looking for something good for the A/T *would appreciate recommendations*)
-VB Upgrade (TransGo kit)

i currently have:

-Stillen CAI
-MD Plenum Spacer 5/16 iso thermal
-Berk HFC
-Borla TD exhaust
-Osiris base map

i'm gonna sell the Osiris as i'm seeing it being useless to me with the turn around for etunes takes forever + there isn't anyone in the country who know how to tune with it..

questions:

1st and foremost, is this setup considered safe?
2- my goal is a maximum of 420whp.. not trying to push it on stock block. achieveable with this setup? should i change anything to achieve it?
3- will i require a catch can?
4- shall i go with 2.87 pulley directly?
5- will i require an oil pan spacer?

and thanks to everyone who participated in this thread with info and technical details.. this is one of the best threads i've read on this forum. props to all and specially to the OP..
1. Everything sounds safe except you NEED an intercooler. (Meth is good too)
2. I have 414 no problems, just make sure you get a good tune.
3. Catch can looks cool does a little I guess, after 10,000 miles I only had about a teaspoon of oil in it though.
4. 2.87 is fine.
5. Oil pan spacer is not necessary but the 1 quart of extra cooling capacity is always good.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:46 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the input guys..

Originally Posted by binder
You need an intercooler.

where did you find a v3 T-trim? Vortech doesn't list it anywhere and i've never seen it advertised anywhere. They list their T-trims as V1. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/scspecsheet.php

Since you're stock block the 2.87 might be a little too much with a T-trim. I know the Sc trim will be fine on a 2.87 but the T-trim flows more.

What would you put in place of the osiris? It's a great tuning tool. Are there shops around that tune other things? If not then it won't matter because you will have to learn to tune with it one way or another. I see you said utec. You'll want to keep osiris to help with idle issues.

Catch can is a good idea. Cheap.

You wo'nt need an oil pan spacer.
got the quote of v3 T-trim from Assaultech (Dan)...

so you're suggesting that i shouldn't go with 2.87? just stay with 3.12?

the tuners around me are more into american cars rather than JDMs.. but i've been recommended couple of tuners that can probably do UTEC.. why would i need to keep osiris when i'm getting utec?? and are you talking about osiris standard or tuner version? (i have the standard version)

which intercooler do you recommend for A/T?? i want something that would fit without modifications or slight modifications only.

catch can is on the list now.. but which one should i get??
Old 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM
pntfrk69

just so you know, i recently ordered the v3 tuner kit thru assault tech. Assault tech does not stock vortech, but they are the middle man for vortech. i ordered the 2.87 and they said that they could just swap out 1 for 1 the 2.87 for the one that comes with the kit. they even confirmed that they spoke with vortech and claimed that vortech did such. however when i got the kit the stock pulley came with it, which was no big deal i was just going to call vortech and see what the deal was. vortech said that assault tech did not ask to do that, nor is that something vortech would do because it voids the warranty. they said that if i wanted the 2.87 pulley i would have to order it separately
Old 12-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Z_ology

maXmood I am running a T-trim with the 3.12 and stock cog setup. Even with all the breathing mods (cams, headers, no cats, etc) I still see ~12.5 psi at 6600 rpms. I am around 425ish whp on a mustang dyno. So a t-trim with the 3.12 would be more than enough to reach your goals. A 2.87 on the t-trim is going to put you in the ball park of 15psi!
Old 12-22-2009, 02:26 PM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think 15psi on a stock block is a good idea...
Old 12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by pntfrk69
just so you know, i recently ordered the v3 tuner kit thru assault tech. Assault tech does not stock vortech, but they are the middle man for vortech. i ordered the 2.87 and they said that they could just swap out 1 for 1 the 2.87 for the one that comes with the kit. they even confirmed that they spoke with vortech and claimed that vortech did such. however when i got the kit the stock pulley came with it, which was no big deal i was just going to call vortech and see what the deal was. vortech said that assault tech did not ask to do that, nor is that something vortech would do because it voids the warranty. they said that if i wanted the 2.87 pulley i would have to order it separately
Yep you are right. Vortech will not warranty once you install 2.87 pulley. I can not remember if they even cover 3.12 pulley.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

the tuners around me are more into american cars rather than JDMs.. but i've been recommended couple of tuners that can probably do UTEC.. why would i need to keep osiris when i'm getting utec?? and are you talking about osiris standard or tuner version? (i have the standard version)

which intercooler do you recommend for A/T?? i want something that would fit without modifications or slight modifications only.

What kind of kit are you getting? How it does not comes with IC?
Edit: catch can doesn't matter what brand, i had a greddy ones it works pretty good.

Last edited by Chef-J; 12-22-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:16 PM
pntfrk69

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Yep you are right. Vortech will not warranty once you install 2.87 pulley. I can not remember if they even cover 3.12 pulley.
sorry for the confusion but the point of my story wasnt so much the fact that the 2.87 pulley will void the warranty. but rather the fact that assault tech, the company he is ordering thru, lied to me
Old 12-22-2009, 03:36 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by pntfrk69
sorry for the confusion but the point of my story wasnt so much the fact that the 2.87 pulley will void the warranty. but rather the fact that assault tech, the company he is ordering thru, lied to me
Oh gotcha.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:56 PM
binder

Originally Posted by Z_ology
maXmood I am running a T-trim with the 3.12 and stock cog setup. Even with all the breathing mods (cams, headers, no cats, etc) I still see ~12.5 psi at 6600 rpms. I am around 425ish whp on a mustang dyno. So a t-trim with the 3.12 would be more than enough to reach your goals. A 2.87 on the t-trim is going to put you in the ball park of 15psi!
Plenty of HP out of the 3.12 pulley. T-trim flows more than the Sc trim so you shouldn't need as small of a pulley.

Also, the tuners said they "probably" could tune a utec. If they've never tuned a utec before what makes you think they could tune it better than the Osiris? Also, the reason for keeping osiris is due to the fact that many people have issues with getting cars to idle well on the utec. ALSO you will probably need to increase your idle and that can only be done with the flash, not with the utec. I'm pretty sure if you already have osiris standard then it wouldn't be much more to upgrade to the tuner and have the guys tune it there. I'm pretty sure most domestic tuners use a flash service anyways.

the standard vortech intercooler will fit just perfect with minor mods. I'm not sure how intercooler piping is run on a non-intercooled vortech but the standard vortech intercooler would be an easy add on.

any catch can works. We are limited on space so pick a small one.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions