Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:55 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pntfrk69
just so you know, i recently ordered the v3 tuner kit thru assault tech. Assault tech does not stock vortech, but they are the middle man for vortech. i ordered the 2.87 and they said that they could just swap out 1 for 1 the 2.87 for the one that comes with the kit. they even confirmed that they spoke with vortech and claimed that vortech did such. however when i got the kit the stock pulley came with it, which was no big deal i was just going to call vortech and see what the deal was. vortech said that assault tech did not ask to do that, nor is that something vortech would do because it voids the warranty. they said that if i wanted the 2.87 pulley i would have to order it separately
thanks man.. i'll keep that in mind and try to make sure they get me the correct pulley when i place the order.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:58 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by Z_ology
maXmood I am running a T-trim with the 3.12 and stock cog setup. Even with all the breathing mods (cams, headers, no cats, etc) I still see ~12.5 psi at 6600 rpms. I am around 425ish whp on a mustang dyno. So a t-trim with the 3.12 would be more than enough to reach your goals. A 2.87 on the t-trim is going to put you in the ball park of 15psi!
good to know!

so, the question here is:

which is better and safer? (i prefer to be safer)

- T-trim with 3.12 pulley
- SC-trm with 2.87 pulley

thanks
Old 12-22-2009, 08:01 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by Chef-J
What kind of kit are you getting? How it does not comes with IC?
Edit: catch can doesn't matter what brand, i had a greddy ones it works pretty good.
well, here are the kits offered to me:

Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z/G35 w/ V2 or V3 SQ SC-Trim & Charge Cooler, Satin
Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z/G35 w/ V2 or V3 SQ T-Trim (no Charge Cooler), Satin
Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z/G35 w/ V2 or V3 SQ SC-Trim & Charge Cooler, Polished
Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z/G35 w/ V2 or V3 SQ T-Trim (no Charge Cooler), Polished

what would you guys recommend out of those kits?

and i'm putting greddy catch can to the list.

Thanks!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by binder
Plenty of HP out of the 3.12 pulley. T-trim flows more than the Sc trim so you shouldn't need as small of a pulley.

Also, the tuners said they "probably" could tune a utec. If they've never tuned a utec before what makes you think they could tune it better than the Osiris? Also, the reason for keeping osiris is due to the fact that many people have issues with getting cars to idle well on the utec. ALSO you will probably need to increase your idle and that can only be done with the flash, not with the utec. I'm pretty sure if you already have osiris standard then it wouldn't be much more to upgrade to the tuner and have the guys tune it there. I'm pretty sure most domestic tuners use a flash service anyways.

the standard vortech intercooler will fit just perfect with minor mods. I'm not sure how intercooler piping is run on a non-intercooled vortech but the standard vortech intercooler would be an easy add on.

any catch can works. We are limited on space so pick a small one.
thnx for the input.!

see the question couple of posts back about T-trim vs SC-trim.. would appreciate your input too.

you have a valid point about Osiris... i think i'll just skip utec and upgrade osiris to tuner version and save some money.. edit: and btw, there is a certified Osiris tuner in a closeby country (around 50miles away to the shop).

looking for more recommendations on tranny oil cooler please..

Last edited by maXmood; 12-22-2009 at 08:26 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:05 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds does not right. All z/g comes with IC, they might confused with other vehicle that are uses charger cooler instead IC(like s2k)? Or am I missing something here? Tuner kit is comes with all pipes/blower and IC, satin or polish is extra option.
And 2.87/SC trim will gets you pretty good numbers, I would upgrade to T trim if I'm going to build fully motor.

Edit: if you wants to go T trim, I wouldn't bother vortech IC. I rather go with bigger than vortech IC( vortech uses turbonectic IC, well that what mine was)

Last edited by Chef-J; 12-23-2009 at 06:59 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:44 AM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

perhaps they say no charge cooler because they expect you to provide your own, larger cooler to support the additional flow
Old 12-23-2009, 07:46 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Sounds does not right. All z/g comes with IC, they might confused with other vehicle that are uses charger cooler instead IC(like s2k)? Or am I missing something here? Tuner kit is comes with all pipes/blower and IC, satin or polish is extra option.
And 2.87/SC trim will gets you pretty good numbers, I would upgrade to T trim if I'm going to build fully motor.

Edit: if you wants to go T trim, I wouldn't bother vortech IC. I rather go with bigger than vortech IC( vortech uses turbonectic IC, well that what mine was)
i'm not sure cuz i'm not inclined about those kits...

not thinking of touching the block at all, i'm not gonna risk it.. so basically SC-trim with 2.87 pulley then..
Old 12-23-2009, 07:51 AM
- bigc -

Old 12-23-2009, 08:24 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by maXmood
good to know!

so, the question here is:

which is better and safer? (i prefer to be safer)

- T-trim with 3.12 pulley
- SC-trm with 2.87 pulley

thanks
If you have the money got with the T-trim. You want to get the power you like out of a blower with it being worked the least. Say both of those kits make 12psi. The t-trim with 3.12 pulley wo'nt be working near as hard as an SC with 2.87. It will be more efficient and the internals will theoretically last longer due to less stress.

If i remember correctly the T-trim also builds boost faster down low therefore you'll have more boost at a lower rpm too. That's a bonus. You will also benefit from less belt slip due to the larger pulley which has more surface area for the belt to contact.

An SC trim with 2.87 pushing low 400's is pretty much maxed out. It's safer to run a larger blower not maxed out then pushing the limits on a smaller one.

thnx for the input.!

you have a valid point about Osiris... i think i'll just skip utec and upgrade osiris to tuner version and save some money.. edit: and btw, there is a certified Osiris tuner in a closeby country (around 50miles away to the shop).

looking for more recommendations on tranny oil cooler please..
50 miles is close! I'm going 6 hours to the tuner for my car in the spring . One thing you're also going to need is the HPX PMAS sensor. Uprev sells it on their site. Over 400hp you'll probably max out the stock maf sensor. I had to buy one because mine maxed.

Tranny cooler: any tranny cooler on the market will work. No need to get some super expensive one. B&M make pretty decent ones. A number of people get a basic cooler for cheap and then run the lines themselves. A pretty decent sized trans cooler is around 50-75$ at a local parts store.

Originally Posted by - bigc -
perhaps they say no charge cooler because they expect you to provide your own, larger cooler to support the additional flow
This is what i was thinking also. They have the piping there for the intercooler but they don't include it so the user can buy a large one.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:26 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

If you have the money got with the T-trim. You want to get the power you like out of a blower with it being worked the least. Say both of those kits make 12psi. The t-trim with 3.12 pulley wo'nt be working near as hard as an SC with 2.87. It will be more efficient and the internals will theoretically last longer due to less stress.

If i remember correctly the T-trim also builds boost faster down low therefore you'll have more boost at a lower rpm too. That's a bonus. You will also benefit from less belt slip due to the larger pulley which has more surface area for the belt to contact.

An SC trim with 2.87 pushing low 400's is pretty much maxed out. It's safer to run a larger blower not maxed out then pushing the limits on a smaller one.

50 miles is close! I'm going 6 hours to the tuner for my car in the spring . One thing you're also going to need is the HPX PMAS sensor. Uprev sells it on their site. Over 400hp you'll probably max out the stock maf sensor. I had to buy one because mine maxed.

Tranny cooler: any tranny cooler on the market will work. No need to get some super expensive one. B&M make pretty decent ones. A number of people get a basic cooler for cheap and then run the lines themselves. A pretty decent sized trans cooler is around 50-75$ at a local parts store.

This is what i was thinking also. They have the piping there for the intercooler but they don't include it so the user can buy a large one.
Good stuff, binder!

appreciate your input..

T-trim with 3.12 pulley then.

ok, suggest me an intercooler that would fit nicely without modifications..

Thank again!
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 PM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Good stuff, binder!

appreciate your input..

T-trim with 3.12 pulley then.

ok, suggest me an intercooler that would fit nicely without modifications..

Thank again!
hmm, that one i'll have to leave up to the gurus on here that build their own kits. I'm not sure the vortech dimensions or what other intercoolers will bolt right in. Truthfully with only going for low 400's a stock vortech intercooler will be fine. You could probably email vortech (or call them) and ask what upgraded intercoolers will fit that kit. Even better you should call the shop you are ordering from. They should know if they sell the kit.

I would find out if the piping is the same size as the piping that the kit with the intercooler is. If that's the truth then I can measure the distance from inlet to outlet on my intercooler and you could just find one that has the same inlet/outlet distance and it should fit without mods.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:48 PM
akks350z

i think i want to upgrade my intercooler to same height but longer width wise to fill up my bumper hole...if any of you guys have done this let me know where and how much you got one for....

Last edited by akks350z; 12-23-2009 at 01:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:58 PM
OldManZ350

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

24" x 12" x 4" IceVex no IC40-M

www.icevex.com
Old 12-23-2009, 08:03 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

hmm, that one i'll have to leave up to the gurus on here that build their own kits. I'm not sure the vortech dimensions or what other intercoolers will bolt right in. Truthfully with only going for low 400's a stock vortech intercooler will be fine. You could probably email vortech (or call them) and ask what upgraded intercoolers will fit that kit. Even better you should call the shop you are ordering from. They should know if they sell the kit.

I would find out if the piping is the same size as the piping that the kit with the intercooler is. If that's the truth then I can measure the distance from inlet to outlet on my intercooler and you could just find one that has the same inlet/outlet distance and it should fit without mods.
i'll let the vendor know about the intercooler.. they can probably suggest me something that of the same size of vortech's intercooler or even bigger/better.

thanks for your input once again, binder.

btw, do i really need the koyo 36mm radiator? the stock one won't suffice?

Last edited by maXmood; 12-23-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:17 AM
350z006

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you have to modify the piping leading to the IC if you use this intercooler?

Originally Posted by OldManZ350
24" x 12" x 4" IceVex no IC40-M

www.icevex.com
Old 12-24-2009, 04:43 PM
str8dum1

yes you have to mod the piping,make custom brackets, and get new silicon couplers.

Also spearco (same maker as the stock IC) makes a 28" wide core the same height as the stock IC that completely fills the front opening. Very reasonable priced from dealers as well. Thats a perfect upgrade without having to fit it behind the bumper brace.

Taurran used the 28" core but 10" high on his turbonetics

Last edited by str8dum1; 12-24-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

i'll let the vendor know about the intercooler.. they can probably suggest me something that of the same size of vortech's intercooler or even bigger/better.

thanks for your input once again, binder.

btw, do i really need the koyo 36mm radiator? the stock one won't suffice?
anyone care to answer my last question?

thanks!

and btw, just like someone mentioned, i can't find the T-trim offered for th 350z.. hmmm.

Last edited by maXmood; 12-28-2009 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 03:43 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Cooling system is always good to have. Its up to your area, I ran my car in texas heat without any issue(you feel the hot air from engine bay tho) But its ok without it, unless you do track your car.
And t-trim, you need to contact vortech about it, they have a ttrim blower on their website as well. I thought you already ordered your kit? No?

Last edited by Chef-J; 12-28-2009 at 03:45 AM.
Old 12-28-2009, 04:33 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Cooling system is always good to have. Its up to your area, I ran my car in texas heat without any issue(you feel the hot air from engine bay tho) But its ok without it, unless you do track your car.
And t-trim, you need to contact vortech about it, they have a ttrim blower on their website as well. I thought you already ordered your kit? No?
we have pretty hot weather here (exceeds what u have in TX), and i'm planning to track the car.. so, if that radiator is gonna reduce the heat, then it's gonna be on the list of purchase.

i searched vortech's website for a t-trim (for 350z), but couldn't find any that what advertised .. so i'm not sure if the quote from the vendor is true or a mix up between a 350z and another car..

i haven't bought the kit yet, still waiting on vendors to give me the final quote as i put all the parts together..

cash is ready for the whole setup (show and go), i just need to get the best quote offered.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:27 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

^track a car and hot weather, don't even need to ask question. Just put that on your list. Ok I see about t-trim kit. I don't think vortech list for upgrade blower kit price(like you looking for t-trim vortech kit for 350z or g), I think its like you pay for the kit and pay extra for upgrade to t-trim blower.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions