Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 PM
- bigc -

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you're non-revup ('06 A/T IIRC) so your kit will come with a 3.33" S/C pulley already installed. changing the S/C pulley, jackshaft pulley, or blower pulley will void your warranty. 2.87 or 3.12, it won't make a difference as far as the warranty is concerned.

Last edited by - bigc -; 01-07-2010 at 12:02 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:32 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by - bigc -
you're non-revup ('06 A/T IIRC) so your kit will come with a 3.33" S/C pulley already installed. changing the S/C pulley, jackshaft pulley, or blower pulley will void your warranty. 2.87 or 3.12, it won't make a difference as far as the warranty is concerned.
damn!

hmmm........

2.87 then!

belt slipage issue has been addressed already, ain't it?
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 AM
str8dum1

I think you are crazy to not go with a T-trim from the start, if you have that option.

More power with less boost, straight cut gears, HD bearings.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:20 AM
nurrishd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I think you are crazy to not go with a T-trim from the start, if you have that option.

What can you see me getting rich? I dont want to run all out....a nice safe number will do

Here is the full spec

Vortech v3 with SI trim
2.87 pulley ? is that right?
600cc injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Plenum Spacer
100cell Race Cats
AAM Stage 1 Fuel Return System Inc Fuel Rails
Hel Oil Cooler
AEM wideband Gauge
Motul Oil
Mishimoto Radiator
AAM Throttle Body Spacer
AAM Oil Pan Spacer
Ichiba Ypipe
Stock cat back Exhaust

Last edited by nurrishd; 01-07-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

dude, not to dis you or ur knowledge, but alot of debate on this.. i mentioned my goal, and i've been getting suggestions from everywhere.. now i've decided on this and not changing my mind again. if i'm gonna regret it in the future, i'd like to know that myself.. cuz everyone has his own goals, and it doesn't imply to the rest.

anyways... back on topic.

FMU:
-what does it do?
-does it come with the tuner kit?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:38 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

well the reason he is talking about getting a t-trim is because you can still achieve the same numbers with less effort on the blower.

so you can run the t-trim with a 3.12 pulley and get the same hp as a SC trim with 2.87. The t-trim is more durable so you won't wear it out as fast since it's built stronger AND you aren't pushing it to the limits. The 2.87 will be pushing it's limits.

If you have the option from the start i would get the t-trim. The couple hundred it is over the Si/Sc trim is well worth it. If you decide to upgrade later you'll spend in the 2 grand range to get a t-trim blower and then its almost impossible to sell the Sc blower by itself to recoupe any money.

If you want the smaller blower then i'll pay you the couple hundred extra then i'll ship you my Sc blower that is 6 months old and you can send me the t-trim. I'll pay all the shipping and throw in a little more money for the trouble
Old 01-07-2010, 09:03 AM
binder

Originally Posted by maXmood
FMU:
-what does it do?
-does it come with the tuner kit?
FMU raises fuel pressure based on boost pressure. Stock on Sc trim kit is an 8:1 and I think most of us use a 6:1 ring. That means fuel pressure increases 6psi for ever 1psi of boost. I think most of the vortech EMS is setup for that to start after 5psi. With small injectors the fuel pressure needs to be increased to get enough flow. If you have larger injectors along with a bigger fuel pump then it shouldn't be an issue.

Truthfully, i hate the vortech FMU setup. It adds an inline fuel pump so there are many hoses and T's of fuel lines. More places for possible fuel leaks.

It's also kind of expensive for what it is. I think vortech charges near 300$ for it. For mid 400's you can get a CJM stage 1 return fuel system that is hands above better. I also heard through the grapevine that CJM is adjusting their pricing for this year which will make the stage 0 more affordable. That will include a fuel pressure reg that has a rising rate already.

The EMS or the FMU do not come with the tuner kit. You won't need it. For a little more money you could get osiris and the cjm return fuel and be far ahead of the stock vortech system.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:06 AM
binder

oh ya, like BigC said, 3.12 or 2.87 will void the warranty. T-trim comes with a 3.12 so the warranty is ok for it, but the Sc comes with a 3.33 so changing it down to 3.12 would void warranty.

How long is warranty? i think like 6 months or something so i wouldn't even worry about it. It will be up before you would have a failure anyways so might as well void it from the start.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:41 AM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 on getting the T-trim. I wish i did, that is my next purchase BTW.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:45 AM
str8dum1

Dave, I think you should be well over 420hp on a dynojet (depending on final timing values) with my old setup. Thats safe as the trq will be around 370-390 I'd guess. I was close to 500whp/450wtrq on a dynojet with just a few changes exhaust changes and meth

and as for the OP not wanting the T-trim, how is making the same power with less effort/heat/AIT increase bad?

Originally Posted by nurrishd
What can you see me getting rich? I dont want to run all out....a nice safe number will do

Here is the full spec

Vortech v3 with SI trim
2.87 pulley ? is that right?
600cc injectors
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump
Plenum Spacer
100cell Race Cats
AAM Stage 1 Fuel Return System Inc Fuel Rails
Hel Oil Cooler
AEM wideband Gauge
Motul Oil
Mishimoto Radiator
AAM Throttle Body Spacer
AAM Oil Pan Spacer
Ichiba Ypipe
Stock cat back Exhaust

Last edited by str8dum1; 01-07-2010 at 09:46 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:05 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by binder
well the reason he is talking about getting a t-trim is because you can still achieve the same numbers with less effort on the blower.

so you can run the t-trim with a 3.12 pulley and get the same hp as a SC trim with 2.87. The t-trim is more durable so you won't wear it out as fast since it's built stronger AND you aren't pushing it to the limits. The 2.87 will be pushing it's limits.

If you have the option from the start i would get the t-trim. The couple hundred it is over the Si/Sc trim is well worth it. If you decide to upgrade later you'll spend in the 2 grand range to get a t-trim blower and then its almost impossible to sell the Sc blower by itself to recoupe any money.

If you want the smaller blower then i'll pay you the couple hundred extra then i'll ship you my Sc blower that is 6 months old and you can send me the t-trim. I'll pay all the shipping and throw in a little more money for the trouble
even if my goal is just 400-420whp max? because i'm not going to spend more money for power, but rather in handling and safety..i'm not gonna track the car every weekend, and at the end it's my only car..

i thought one should consider getting the t-trim if he's on a built block, or considering building the block, or looking for more than 420whp..

and btw, the T-trim is cheaper than the SC-trim.. (that's the prices i received). so i'm paying extra to get the SC-trim over the T-trim.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:08 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

FMU raises fuel pressure based on boost pressure. Stock on Sc trim kit is an 8:1 and I think most of us use a 6:1 ring. That means fuel pressure increases 6psi for ever 1psi of boost. I think most of the vortech EMS is setup for that to start after 5psi. With small injectors the fuel pressure needs to be increased to get enough flow. If you have larger injectors along with a bigger fuel pump then it shouldn't be an issue.

Truthfully, i hate the vortech FMU setup. It adds an inline fuel pump so there are many hoses and T's of fuel lines. More places for possible fuel leaks.

It's also kind of expensive for what it is. I think vortech charges near 300$ for it. For mid 400's you can get a CJM stage 1 return fuel system that is hands above better. I also heard through the grapevine that CJM is adjusting their pricing for this year which will make the stage 0 more affordable. That will include a fuel pressure reg that has a rising rate already.

The EMS or the FMU do not come with the tuner kit. You won't need it. For a little more money you could get osiris and the cjm return fuel and be far ahead of the stock vortech system.
thanks for info..

so i should be good with 550cc injectors and 255lph pump?
Old 01-07-2010, 09:10 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by JET MECH
+1 on getting the T-trim. I wish i did, that is my next purchase BTW.
that's because you're looking to go more than 455whp... while i don't wanna exceed the 420whp line.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:19 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

and as for the OP not wanting the T-trim, how is making the same power with less effort/heat/AIT increase bad?
i didn't say it's bad... and actually i can't say it's bad because those 2 options are known to be good setups, it's just one prefers one over the other for some reason.

why alot of ppl go for the SC-trim and not the T-trim?

is it because of:
- money?
- reliability?
- lack of knowledge?
- not looking to get more power?

ok, what do you think of this: i can go with a T-trim, but at the end, i'm not gonna push my car more than 400whp.. don't you think it's a waste of money? the availability of a potential power that won't ever be used?

it's just like buying a ferrari to do grocery shopping..

i really appreciate your input, and would accept any comments/suggestions, but i'd like to discuss things along the line, so i can get a better understanding of things..

i'm no where near a pro in this scene, but i'm trying to do my homework.

thanks for the input.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:36 PM
binder

even if my goal is just 400-420whp max? because i'm not going to spend more money for power, but rather in handling and safety..i'm not gonna track the car every weekend, and at the end it's my only car..

i thought one should consider getting the t-trim if he's on a built block, or considering building the block, or looking for more than 420whp..

and btw, the T-trim is cheaper than the SC-trim.. (that's the prices i received). so i'm paying extra to get the SC-trim over the T-trim.
T-trim blower is quite a bit more when you buy them outright. You must be getting a deal. If you want the smaller one then i'll pay you the difference and trade you my Sc trim for your t-trim.

thanks for info..

so i should be good with 550cc injectors and 255lph pump?
should be. what type of injectors are you using? I guess not DW since they don't come in 550's. My honest suggestion for injectors are DW 600's. DW makes EXCELLENT drop in injectors.

that's because you're looking to go more than 455whp... while i don't wanna exceed the 420whp line.
you adjust boost pressure by pulley size. You could tune your t-trim for 350hp if you really wanted. Just think about all the people running greddy twin turbos that are low 400's. Just because you have a TT setup doesn't mean you have to run 550hp. It's like anything in life, you can always use a lower value to something if you're setup right. You can't go over your max though. Most cars can drive 120mph, but they don't all go 120mph every time you get in it.

why alot of ppl go for the SC-trim and not the T-trim?

is it because of:
- money?
- reliability?
- lack of knowledge?
- not looking to get more power?

ok, what do you think of this: i can go with a T-trim, but at the end, i'm not gonna push my car more than 400whp.. don't you think it's a waste of money? the availability of a potential power that won't ever be used?
The t-trim isn't widely availible. Very few have a t-trim "kit". Vortech doesn't offer it that way so many dealers don't have it that way. Vortech is setup to have the Sc kit then you can upgrade the blower later. Whoever you are going through is piecing a kit together on their own with a t-trim. Because of the "buy the sc kit then upgrade the blower" there is a huge cost difference and the reason a lot of people don't have the t-trim.

I'm confused on why you say you are going to waste money on a t-trim when earlier you stated that the t-trim kit costs less money. Was that a typo?
Old 01-08-2010, 10:58 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

T-trim blower is quite a bit more when you buy them outright. You must be getting a deal. If you want the smaller one then i'll pay you the difference and trade you my Sc trim for your t-trim.
answered that at the bottom..

should be. what type of injectors are you using? I guess not DW since they don't come in 550's. My honest suggestion for injectors are DW 600's. DW makes EXCELLENT drop in injectors.
thanks for pointing that out!!

i'm only gonna get DW, and was thinking 600, but then i thought, why go too large if i'm not gonna utilize them? i could save money by going lower..and i read 440 can be maxed out pretty much soon, so i'll just jump for 550.. now that you pointed that DW doesn't have 550, i think i'll just go with 600..

thanks again!

you adjust boost pressure by pulley size. You could tune your t-trim for 350hp if you really wanted. Just think about all the people running greddy twin turbos that are low 400's. Just because you have a TT setup doesn't mean you have to run 550hp. It's like anything in life, you can always use a lower value to something if you're setup right. You can't go over your max though. Most cars can drive 120mph, but they don't all go 120mph every time you get in it.
^good points and makes sense...

The t-trim isn't widely availible. Very few have a t-trim "kit". Vortech doesn't offer it that way so many dealers don't have it that way. Vortech is setup to have the Sc kit then you can upgrade the blower later. Whoever you are going through is piecing a kit together on their own with a t-trim. Because of the "buy the sc kit then upgrade the blower" there is a huge cost difference and the reason a lot of people don't have the t-trim.

I'm confused on why you say you are going to waste money on a t-trim when earlier you stated that the t-trim kit costs less money. Was that a typo?
when i said "don't you think it's a waste of money?", i was actually saying in a sense that i'll buy something for a big amount of money, but will only use 25% of it.. just like the example of ferrari..

so, since the T-trim won't be fully utilized, then it's a waste of money because you can go for a less cost part that gives you what you're looking for..that's what i meant.. but you made sense in your previous quote that changed my idea..

and no, it's not a typo. the T-trim cost less than the SC-trim, but the T-trim comes without the intercooler (which if added to the equation, it makes it more expensive than an SC-trim).

i checked the intercoolers that were suggested for the T-trim (Perrin and Spearco), and they cost well over $700..

it's my bad for not including the intercooler's price, which makes a huge difference between the two kits.

and that's the answer to your first request.. and even if i got it for less, shipping the thing between us is gonna cost a fortune..

so, my final decision is to go with the SC-trim and 2.87 pulley.. as i came to know, with that setup, ppl were pushing more than 440whp on a stock block, and that's way more than what i want to achieve..

thanks alot for your input..

looking forward to learn more from you guys..
Old 01-09-2010, 05:07 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just stay at your goal is way to save money. Upgrade this for future and upgrade another thing for future...its too much headche and NEVER end story. People build motor and ditch SC move on to turbo later...its just never stop. You know?...Again good luck.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:43 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Just stay at your goal is way to save money. Upgrade this for future and upgrade another thing for future...its too much headche and NEVER end story. People build motor and ditch SC move on to turbo later...its just never stop. You know?...Again good luck.
well said
Old 01-09-2010, 09:35 AM
binder

i'm only gonna get DW, and was thinking 600, but then i thought, why go too large if i'm not gonna utilize them? i could save money by going lower..and i read 440 can be maxed out pretty much soon, so i'll just jump for 550.. now that you pointed that DW doesn't have 550, i think i'll just go with 600..

so, since the T-trim won't be fully utilized, then it's a waste of money because you can go for a less cost part that gives you what you're looking for..that's what i meant.. but you made sense in your previous quote that changed my idea..

and no, it's not a typo. the T-trim cost less than the SC-trim, but the T-trim comes without the intercooler (which if added to the equation, it makes it more expensive than an SC-trim).

i checked the intercoolers that were suggested for the T-trim (Perrin and Spearco), and they cost well over $700..

so, my final decision is to go with the SC-trim and 2.87 pulley.. as i came to know, with that setup, ppl were pushing more than 440whp on a stock block, and that's way more than what i want to achieve..

With my 2.87 and dw 440's i was ok and sitting about 85% duty cycle. That was all the intake stuff, headers, test pipes, full exhaust. mid 80's for duty cycle is as much as you would want to push them. So basically with 440's you will be at your limit and no headroom. That will work but if you do something like cams or whatnot then you won't have enough fuel. If you are using osiris for tuning then I would just get the 600's. They will tune perfectly fine and won't work your injectors as hard. The less something has to work the longer it will last. That is also the reason for doing a T-trim.

Like stated, the harder you push something the faster it wears out. So if the Sc trim is pushing 400hp and working 90% of it's max then it will wear out faster than a t-trim pushing 400hp and being at 60% of it's max. That being said, you will make 400hp just fine with full exhuast and some mods on the Sc trim. The t-trim will have a better power curve and will run the air cooler thus decreasing intake temps and possible detonation. Either way, you sound set on the Sc trim.

Also, Oldman350z and Str8 both sent a website that showed intercoolers. Those nice big intercoolers were only around 300$ and would flow perfectly for a t-trim. A 700$ intercooler over the top.

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Just stay at your goal is way to save money.

that's a good THEORY. It never works though. People will eventually grow out of what they have and when you are maxed it means you need a huge increase in cost for an upgrade. Not only do you pay for the upgrade parts later down the road but you eat the cost of the lesser parts you already purchased that no longer need.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:46 AM
- bigc -

quick V3 blower question:

i'm about to do my 2,500 mile (first) oil change. do you refill through the dipstick opening (99% sure this is the case) or through the vented, plugged opening on top? the vortech owner's manual is vague on this so i figured i'd ask. thanks.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions