Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:08 AM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by binder
With my 2.87 and dw 440's i was ok and sitting about 85% duty cycle. That was all the intake stuff, headers, test pipes, full exhaust. mid 80's for duty cycle is as much as you would want to push them. So basically with 440's you will be at your limit and no headroom. That will work but if you do something like cams or whatnot then you won't have enough fuel. If you are using osiris for tuning then I would just get the 600's. They will tune perfectly fine and won't work your injectors as hard. The less something has to work the longer it will last. That is also the reason for doing a T-trim.

Like stated, the harder you push something the faster it wears out. So if the Sc trim is pushing 400hp and working 90% of it's max then it will wear out faster than a t-trim pushing 400hp and being at 60% of it's max. That being said, you will make 400hp just fine with full exhuast and some mods on the Sc trim. The t-trim will have a better power curve and will run the air cooler thus decreasing intake temps and possible detonation. Either way, you sound set on the Sc trim.

Also, Oldman350z and Str8 both sent a website that showed intercoolers. Those nice big intercoolers were only around 300$ and would flow perfectly for a t-trim. A 700$ intercooler over the top.
i know what you mean..

how much whp were you pushing with ur mods when u had 440cc? and what about now with 600cc? care to list out ur setup?

thanks!

that's a good THEORY. It never works though. People will eventually grow out of what they have and when you are maxed it means you need a huge increase in cost for an upgrade. Not only do you pay for the upgrade parts later down the road but you eat the cost of the lesser parts you already purchased that no longer need.
it is a good theory indeed.. and i'm gonna stick to it, cuz i don't wanna spend alot of money on a 5AT car..

if i had a 6MT, then my FI setup would've been another story..
Old 01-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that's a good THEORY. It never works though. People will eventually grow out of what they have and when you are maxed it means you need a huge increase in cost for an upgrade. Not only do you pay for the upgrade parts later down the road but you eat the cost of the lesser parts you already purchased that no longer need.

You are saying, get a T-trim and 3.12 pulley, cuz he will want it more. Ok. If guy wants to upgrade 2.87 pulley later, what you gonna do with 3.12? isn't wasting a money? You said 600inj are "enough" but you are saying he may wants more power. Will that 600inj can reuse, if he wants to go 500whp? or 600whp? or maybe big turbo?
Whatever you are saying doesn't make sense. Why not go fully build NOW then? no?

Yeah, for this guy's deal from vendor, T-trim sounds good to go. BUT he wants to stay with what he wants. And his list doesn't sound bad for 400whp. No need give a headche to newbie that stuff that he doesn't " NEED" for his goal. maybe your future need T-trim, maybe he might needs Turbo later. Nobody knows.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM
binder

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

bigc, i'm pretty sure you fill it at the dipstick. I doubt either way will make a difference though.

Max, auto cars are good. Just spend some money on upgrading the valvebodies and they are great. You could also do a swap. Mr.PharmD on here had the swap done on his. he said it wasn't too expensive either.

Also, I never had my car dyno'ed on the 440's since i was always upgrading. I will finally have it dyno tuned in the spring but i have a full built motor with heads and all that. I also went from 440's to 800's. Oldman350z was right at 400hp with pretty much the same setup i had (and what you are putting on) and he is using DW 440 injectors.

Mine before the built motor with a 2.87 pulley at 11.5psi (max pressure at redline) pulled a little harder than a LS2 GTO with headers, full exhaust, and tuned. We went from a 40mph roll and mine would pull on him slightly but not much. He was probably putting around 400 or high 300's.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
binder

Originally Posted by Chef-J
You are saying, get a T-trim and 3.12 pulley, cuz he will want it more. Ok. If guy wants to upgrade 2.87 pulley later, what you gonna do with 3.12? isn't wasting a money? You said 600inj are "enough" but you are saying he may wants more power. Will that 600inj can reuse, if he wants to go 500whp? or 600whp? or maybe big turbo?
Whatever you are saying doesn't make sense. Why not go fully build NOW then? no?

Yeah, for this guy's deal from vendor, T-trim sounds good to go. BUT he wants to stay with what he wants. And his list doesn't sound bad for 400whp. No need give a headche to newbie that stuff that he doesn't " NEED" for his goal. maybe your future need T-trim, maybe he might needs Turbo later. Nobody knows.
Well, it's not only the need to go more but it's also the need to put less stress on the parts. Running something 90% of it's max all the time is harder on running a better/faster part at 60% of it's max.

And there is a huge difference in going full built to just selecting a t-trim blower. You are exaggerating a little there. Having a blower to get another 25hp 3 months down the road is a completley different story than putting 20k into a car to get it over 500hp. If the t-trim costs a couple hundred to just buy now then he'll save a few grand if he decides he needs that little extra next summer. That's too large of a cost saving to not go for it.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:31 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by maXmood
i know what you mean..

how much whp were you pushing with ur mods when u had 440cc? and what about now with 600cc? care to list out ur setup?

Oh might search around RFS. Search under cjm's posts and FI section, you might get an idea to have or not. I had DW 600 with GTM stage 0 rfs, did put down numbers on my sig ( at uprev )
Old 01-09-2010, 04:52 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

vented cap
is how i did mine. Mariano at vortech told me to do it that way.

Originally Posted by - bigc -
quick V3 blower question:

i'm about to do my 2,500 mile (first) oil change. do you refill through the dipstick opening (99% sure this is the case) or through the vented, plugged opening on top? the vortech owner's manual is vague on this so i figured i'd ask. thanks.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:29 PM
- bigc -

thanks, i appreciate the help guys!
Old 01-09-2010, 10:49 PM
- bigc -

i just finished changing the fluid. as advertised, its very quick and easy. a few observations are below:

- the vortech owner's manual is adamant that we not overfill the blower. i double checked how much fluid came out versus how much was in the refill bottle, and, no surprise, not all 4 oz came out. on the refill, i put in just under a full bottle and will double-check the level after the fluid settles overnight.
- the dipstick did not seem very accurate. i checked the level after i drained the blower and it still showed fluid in the crosshatched area. i checked the level again when i had put in half a bottle of the new oil...same thing. yes, i cleaned the dipstick before checking the level anyway, as mentioned above, i'll check everything again in the morning after the oil has settled.
- that little AN plug on the end of the drain hose was a bi!ch to break loose. should be much easier going forward.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:50 AM
scenehouser

three questions about the t-trim:

are there pulleys available that will make around 400whp with the t-trim on a 350z with stock block and the usual smaller modifications?

if so what will the max torque be?

and what will the torque curve look like compared to the v3 sc-trim?

thnx!
Old 01-11-2010, 10:01 AM
binder

Originally Posted by scenehouser
three questions about the t-trim:

are there pulleys available that will make around 400whp with the t-trim on a 350z with stock block and the usual smaller modifications?

if so what will the max torque be?

and what will the torque curve look like compared to the v3 sc-trim?

thnx!
yes, you can use the 3.12 that it comes with and that should be low 400's. If you're still worried about having too much power you can put the 3.33 pulley on it.

no way of predicting torque. Even the same car can pull different numbers on each dyno run. I think the norm with most vortech kits are going to be similar torque max as hp (just at a lower rpm for peak)

again hard to predict torque curve. I think it will probably be very similar to the sc trim. There won't be some drastic difference becuz they work primarily the same.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:33 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Banned

Originally Posted by pntfrk69
sorry for the confusion but the point of my story wasnt so much the fact that the 2.87 pulley will void the warranty. but rather the fact that assault tech, the company he is ordering thru, lied to me
Good info on this thread!!

You have a PM Cory, please get back to me. I would like to fix whatever you feel I lied to you about. Whatever it was it was completely unintentional. Talk to you soon, thanks.

Like it was said before. For anyone who doesn't know. Here is the Warranty info on Vortech kits.

Warranty Information

<dl><dt> 1-Year Supercharger Limited Warranty </dt><dd> Included with all superchargers except race/heavy-duty models. More information (PDF) . (This means no warranty on T-Trim chargers)
</dd><dt> 3-Year Supercharger Limited Warranty </dt><dd> Included with engine-oil-fed superchargers if purchased with a complete street-legal system. Not available with tuner kits. Available with V-3 systems for an additional $75.00. More information (PDF) . </dd><dt> 3-Year/36,000-Mile Powertrain Limited Warranty </dt><dd> Available with complete street legal systems sold and installed by a Vortech Top-Tier Installer. Not available with tuner kits. More information . </dd></dl>ANY USE OF NON SUPPLIED STOCK SIZE PULLEY WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY

oh ya, like BigC said, 3.12 or 2.87 will void the warranty. T-trim comes with a 3.12 so the warranty is ok for it, but the Sc comes with a 3.33 so changing it down to 3.12 would void warranty.

How long is warranty? i think like 6 months or something so i wouldn't even worry about it. It will be up before you would have a failure anyways so might as well void it from the start.
No warranty on T-Trim chargers. I would say 80% of people who buy Vortech systems end up upgrading their pulley the day they install it, thus voiding their warranty.

Also, to clarify. We had typos in our sheet going out. All T-Trim chargers are V1, this means they are all fed oil via the oil pan.

Last edited by Dan@Assaultech; 01-12-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:44 PM
fowlman01

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

it is a good theory indeed.. and i'm gonna stick to it, cuz i don't wanna spend alot of money on a 5AT car..

if i had a 6MT, then my FI setup would've been another story..
Put a transgo valve body in your tranny and you will like it a whole lot more.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

something happend somewhere, and now i can't view this thread properly...

anyone experiencing any problems with last post not showing?

cuz i can't even see my post..
Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Banned

something happend somewhere, and now i can't view this thread properly...

anyone experiencing any problems with last post not showing?

cuz i can't even see my post..
I cant see your last post either, it just randomly cuts it off ....... odd
Old 01-12-2010, 03:08 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

^did a work around and was able to delete it..

sorry Dan, i didn't ask you this because i didn't wanna bother you with too many questions.

here goes:

guys, what are real-world differences between SC-trim v2 and v3?

why choose one over the other?

my final parts list before sending out the money:

-Vortech Tuner Kit, 2003-2006 350Z/G35 w/ V2 or V3 SQ SC-Trim & Charge Cooler, Satin
-Koyo V-Core 36mm Slim
-Deatschwerks 600cc Injectors
-2.87 Pulley
-Walbro Pump & Install Kit
-NGK One Step Colder
-B&M Tranny Oil Cooler

is there anything else i should consider buying before going ahead?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Originally Posted by fowlman01
Put a transgo valve body in your tranny and you will like it a whole lot more.
it's on the list *available locally*

thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 03:33 PM
binder

v2 uses engine oil and drains into the cars oil pan
v3 is self lubricated. No feed lines and no drain. oil is changed separately

On your list: engine management. the vortech tuner doesn't come with an EMS. I think you mentioned it earlier in the thread, you just didn't put it in the list so i figured i would ask.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
maXmood
Under Boost!

Thanks binder..

which one would be better? looks like v2 is..

Osiris for EMS, gonna upgrade it to tuner version..

anything else?
Old 01-12-2010, 03:49 PM
binder

Thanks binder..

anything else?

um, as far as i know the v2 and v3 will produce the same power. The only difference is the lubrication system. I have never used a v3 but from what i've read and see with people's setups that seems to be the case. Someone that has used both chime in if i'm incorrect.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Dan@Assaultech
Banned

Thanks binder..

anything else?
It is 100% user preference. However, Vortech still reccomends the V2 as it is the tried and true method.

Also, it always easier to just change your oil every 3k miles. If you change your engine oil every 3k miles and have to change the supercharger oil every 7.5k, it doesn't really line up or overlap in timing.

The choice is yours, however I still recommend the V2 to all customers.
um, as far as i know the v2 and v3 will produce the same power. The only difference is the lubrication system. I have never used a v3 but from what i've read and see with people's setups that seems to be the case. Someone that has used both chime in if i'm incorrect.
There are exactly ZERO differences in power.

Quick Reply: vortech FAQ: read this before asking vortech questions