Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction Cooling: Upgraded Fan Results..wow

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 10:17 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I guess it might be time for me to move on the 6speedonline forum

lol lets not go that far... i just wanna know besides the probablyt 250 what are teh otehr costs involveed in this mod...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:19 AM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know who deleted their post at 118,but man it sure made my next post sound off ,i guess lesson learned... post the quote!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
I'll play the devil's advocate here because I see and understand both sides of the debate.

Yeah, but that's because people here have been conditioned to pay high prices for the simplest parts. You bring somoene that's been into domestic modifications and more affordable import aftermarkets and they're going to think everyone in here is insane for paying what they do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Cheap doesn't mean "hack job", just as expensive doesn't always mean quality. People buying used Z's for cheap is nothing new, hell I bought mine used back in 2004. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily cheap. I just know when something is a good value and when it isn't. People that are willing to do custom work and do big power setups for cheap are what this forum needs BADLY. The more innovators that are willing to share ideas the BETTER, whether they be at big name shops or someone working out of their garage.

I see the 350z community, and especially the FI community as sort of a racket run by shops and vendors. The shops and vendors work together to keep prices for parts and services high, while a good amount of the customers are ready and willing to pay for them. Certain customers are used to paying reasonable prices and doing things their own way and get shunned and called "cheap", or told that they're in the wrong hobby.

I don't think this is right at all. This community needs more ingenuity and smart modding, and less stifling of ideas by those who hate on people just because they themselves paid a premium for what they have.

That being said, this is not a knock on Sharif or any of the other vendors here, just an explanation of my thoughts. Sharif's shroud looks top quality and defnitely worth $250. I personally wouldn't pay for that unless I absolutely needed cooling power for the track and could not find it elsewhere for cheaper.

That being said, go-fast, if you can make one of decent quality that is much cheaper, I'm sure many people here would very much be interested. Let me know if you are doing it.

All that mumbling and you end with what I bolded above We all know by now Jeremy likes to do things differently, and does them for cheaper than most shops. This now has all the FL guys and espeically you in every thread talking about being original and this and that and how your not spending $20K on a build. Good for you Craig, we'll see how that ST does on the dyno and the track, until then, stop acting like Jeremy is the only person who does good things for the community. Not everybody has a hookup nearby, not everybody wants to be a test mule for a ST "monster" they want proven parts. I can also understand both sides, but go-fast was out of line in how he brought up his point. At the end of the day if you can get a fan shroud from Jeremy or anybody for less than $250 then go for it, to anybody here with a built block $250 aint $hit. And your comment about "we are conditioned" to pay high prices? Im not even going to get into that. Go look at the price for an E46 M3's parts or FI and tell me you think of that.

Damn this post took a dump, Craig I dont mean to offend you, but you chose to quote me above your grand explanation that Z owners pay good $$ for good parts, so I responded...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII

lol lets not go that far... i just wanna know besides the probablyt 250 what are teh otehr costs involveed in this mod...
You need to chill out on trying to figure out Vendor's costs like you stated above. If your that **** about deciding if a $250 fan shroud is worth it to you, you shouldnt even build your car, you'd cry at the cost. Let me ask you, are you over at Intense nickle and diming them for cheap a$$ parts on your new ST when that kit gets released? Prolly not because its something you want to do, a direction you want to continue with your car so you justify it and likely dont contemplate "what is the actual cost of the kit? am I getting a good deal? etc etc". You spend thousands and are over here posting...

someone needs to break down the costs of the fans and isntall time plus the fabbed mod(brackets?) to really know whats the actual cost fo this cooling mod.
Sorry Quicksilver, I like you but your posts here today have failed...go get Intense to make you a $150 fan shroud or better yet make it out of playdough and zipties for $10 and save a ton of $$$$
Old 07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Alberto
All that mumbling and you end with what I bolded above We all know by now Jeremy likes to do things differently, and does them for cheaper than most shops. This now has all the FL guys and espeically you in every thread talking about being original and this and that and how your not spending $20K on a build. Good for you Craig, we'll see how that ST does on the dyno and the track, until then, stop acting like Jeremy is the only person who does good things for the community. Not everybody has a hookup nearby, not everybody wants to be a test mule for a ST "monster" they want proven parts. I can also understand both sides, but go-fast was out of line in how he brought up his point. At the end of the day if you can get a fan shroud from Jeremy or anybody for less than $250 then go for it, to anybody here with a built block $250 aint $hit. And your comment about "we are conditioned" to pay high prices? Im not even going to get into that. Go look at the price for an E46 M3's parts or FI and tell me you think of that.

Damn this post took a dump, Craig I dont mean to offend you, but you chose to quote me above your grand explanation that Z owners pay good $$ for good parts, so I responded...
Go back and read my post to see if it mentions Jeremy ONCE...

Quit trying to make every thread into a shop vs shop or a tt vs st debate. This has absolutely nothing to do with shop vs shop. It has to do with the community in general. So please, spare me that drama.

You're not talking about a BMW or european parts, you're talking about american made custom parts for a $20k japenese import. Besides, the only difference between making custom parts for these cars is the demographic which they're being sold to. Do you know anything about economics or supply and demand? As long as the FI Z owner demographic is willing to pay what they are currently, that is where the prices will stand.

I look forward to the day we have more "used car owners" willing to do their own "hack jobs". It will only expand our options and make for a better community, no matter what you pay.

Last edited by taurran; 07-19-2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
IIQuickSilverII

^^ not easy to get toa mid point "point of view i guess"

HAHAH dammed... ok...so who knows the cost fo the fans...? 250 for the shourd... lets say 1.5-2 hours install....
the price migth be good... lol

i can see 250 being the cost that the customer paid since its custom... should be a bit cheaper if this part is mass produced? like by a machine shop sharif(jsut an idea)...you already did the prototype which looks like a good piece!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
IIQuickSilverII

.......:

u need to chill out maing...just cause i can dump 250 doesnt mean i am not going to check into the quality and worth of parts...

no need to go out on a tangent... ill leave it at that i dont need an argument with you.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:41 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Go back and read my post to see if it mentions Jeremy ONCE...

Quit trying to make every thread into a shop vs shop or a tt vs st debate. This has absolutely nothing to do with shop vs shop. It has to do with the community in general. So please, spare me that drama.

You're not talking about a BMW or european parts, you're talking about american made custom parts for a $20k japenese import. Besides, the only difference between making custom parts for these cars is the demographic which they're being sold to. Do you know anything about economics or supply and demand? As long as the FI Z owner demographic is willing to pay what they are currently, that is where the prices will stand.

Go re-read you rpost, its 20 lines of BS, 2 lines of truth, and Im the drama queen? This isnt a shop vs shop debate I like both PF and Forged, Im not trying to discuss the St vs TT either, but all the things you say about originality and low costs all point to one person. Most every thread you feel the need to tell the world what I said above-and without saying Jeremy we know who your talking about, it gets old
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
roncfpz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
I guess it might be time for me to move on the 6speedonline forum
I agree. Really, WTF is this debate all about..... $100? If you spent the time *****ing and moaning about prices, on making money instead, the $100 for a quality product from a quality shop will NOT matter.

Furthermore, go-fast.....if you felt Sharif was being condescending by all means send him a PM and lets keep the thread on topic.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM
taurran

u need to chill out maing...just cause i can dump 250 doesnt mean i am not going to check into the quality and worth of parts...

no need to go out on a tangent... ill leave it at that i dont need an argument with you.
I agree. The shroud looks like it would be worth the $250, but once you work out all of the fans, relays, and wiring, it gets up there.

I'd be positive you really need the extra cooling power before you jump into it.

Have we determined if this actually helps while the car is moving?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:44 AM
MIAPLAYA

The honest truth is that every community thinks "their" parts are over priced. This sentiment is as old as cars. I have to admit when I bought my Z and started looking at parts prices I was floored. I went from the SE-R crowd where an intake was $100 to the Z where JUST THE POP CHARGER was $100. Exhaust prices for a full catback were $500 MAX and here good luck with that search. But its a side affect of the owners and vendors in the end. The higher you go up the food chain in vehicle costs the more income (obviously) owners have to spend on parts. The industry isn't stupid. They are going to price accordingly. You go market a $7,000 turbo kit to the Hyundai crowd and they are going to laugh in your face. Here its damn near standard. Granted some parts are going to cost more. R&D costs, quality, etc are all going to come into play. The difference between the Z and other communities is that even today the Z is a relative newb in aftermarket parts. We are struggling to find more then one full stand alone thats truely reliable while other cars have 5-10 available. Because of that people producing parts HAVE to charge more because they are breaking new ground. Development costs money and its going to be reflected in the finished goods price. In 10 years the Z will be much more like Honda, 240, SE-R crowd and parts will be cheaper as the age and income segment for the Z will move down and people won't be willing to pay these prices. Additionally manufacturers will begin copying what was successful in the past and then selling it for cheaper. Why? Because they didn't have to spend a dime on R&D. It was paid for them by the company they are copying. That in the end is what drives prices so low in other communities. The standard for reliable quality parts was set long ago by other companies and while they made their R&D money back copy cat parts showed up and the original companies have to lower their prices to compete. In the end I still feel the Z community is just a bit inflated on pricing for certain items. I haven't seen prices drop since I've been here on pretty much anything. Quality and reliability have improved for sure but the price point has remained. I would expect the trend to continue for some time. Eventually the VQ like the small block 350 and B series motors before it will become an open book and parts prices will have to drop as copy cats start running around. Until then I don't mind paying top dollar for quality parts because I don't own my car 10 years from now I own it today. But there must be a limit to what everyone finds reasonable. If you feel the cost for the part is unwarranted find another one. If you can make your own thats just as effective good, do it. But if you can't make it, and you can't find a reasonable alternative then pay to play. Speed is money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 07-19-2007, 10:45 AM
taurran

Go re-read you rpost, its 20 lines of BS, 2 lines of truth, and Im the drama queen? This isnt a shop vs shop debate I like both PF and Forged, Im not trying to discuss the St vs TT either, but all the things you say about originality and low costs all point to one person. Most every thread you feel the need to tell the world what I said above-and without saying Jeremy we know who your talking about, it gets old
LOL, it has nothing to do with Jeremy. Thanks for making an assumption, sorry to break it to you but it is incorrect. The fact that you're trying to cop out and turn it into an argument gets old!

I was moreso referring to guys doing custom builds in their own home. This forum sucks in the respect that if anyone does somoething that's not "shop" or "sponsor" related it gets totally trashed. So what if this guy thinks he can do it for less? If he does it, more power to him.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I agree. The shroud looks like it would be worth the $250, but once you work out all of the fans, relays, and wiring, it gets up there.

I'd be positive you really need the extra cooling power before you jump into it.

Have we determined if this actually helps while the car is moving?

I guess the car wasnt moving when going around the track

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
OK, here are the results from road Atlanta, used Jose's NA Z as a reference. 95F outside temps, he used to see 220F quickly (within 3-4 laps), and now his MAX temp seen was 200F, and it was only the last couple laps of his session. His oil temps also went from 280F down to about 250F. And within one cool down lap, temps were sub 190F, and by the time he pulled into the pits, he was looking at 170F. Pretty good results I think. Jose was pushing it pretty hard, and we timed him at 1:43 with a passenger in the car.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:47 AM
IIQuickSilverII

so why bring it up???

you jumped the gun attackign me going of many different direction liek if i was attackign sharif d00d

my whole poitn is... you make a cusotm plenum spacer it woudl cost lets say 250 bucks... you mass produce it and the cost is 150...
so i was jsut wondered what woudl the cost be if this is sold as a kit... nto the same price as if every piece is custom made... thats it... if its worth it ok... no need for you to act like that as you have in the past with yoru attacks

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 07-19-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
taurran

I guess the car wasnt moving when going around the track
I didn't read that post, but thanks for pointing it out. The attitude that came with it was a nice bonus too.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:50 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

LOL, it has nothing to do with Jeremy. Thanks for making an assumption, sorry to break it to you but it is incorrect. The fact that you're trying to cop out and turn it into an argument gets old!

I was moreso referring to guys doing custom builds in their own home. This forum sucks in the respect that if anyone does somoething that's not "shop" or "sponsor" related it gets totally trashed. So what if this guy thinks he can do it for less? If he does it, more power to him.
If he or anybody else can do it for less good, then they should go do it, people bashing the price is weak. Most any shop can produce a shroud, Im sure its been done, thing is they dont post findings-other shops havent posted dyno and track results, they keep their shrouds to their shop cars and dont care about the community. Then comes Sharif does what I said above and gets crap about the price from some guy that thinks the price is high with people agreeing. Dont like it? Dont buy it, its that simple...
Old 07-19-2007, 10:56 AM
taurran

If he or anybody else can do it for less good, then they should go do it, people bashing the price is weak. Most any shop can produce a shroud, Im sure its been done, thing is they dont post findings-other shops havent posted dyno and track results, they keep their shrouds to their shop cars and dont care about the community. Then comes Sharif does what I said above and gets crap about the price from some guy that thinks the price is high with people agreeing. Dont like it? Dont buy it, its that simple...
I agree. Then again, I never bashed the price. I agree with both conseumer perspectives, but I think one is better for the advancement of the aftermarket of this car than the other.

It is that simple, but that wasn't what I was debating with my original post.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:57 AM
roncfpz

So what if this guy thinks he can do it for less? If he does it, more power to him.
Exactly, but then he doesn't need to bash another shop for their supposed "high" price.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:59 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, if you think a $250 fan shroud is expensive in the grand scheme of things, you're in for a trip. If I didn't just receive my new fan (also a time restraint) i'd be all over this.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:05 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Originally Posted by go-fast
i'm not picking a fight, i just suggest another way to achive a common goal and a VENDOR belittles my comment regardless of the fact i have a valid point!sharif is the thug in this situation ,immediatly slapping down anyone that treads in his sales thread.car performance was born of cheap mods, maybe some fresh faces can weed out some of the bull you are willing to overlook (forest through the trees)
Go back and reread my original comment to you. I say you CAN make one yourself if you choose. That was it. Then you had to start digging in, and not really sure what your motivation is here.

Have a nice day.

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Cooling: Upgraded Fan Results..wow