Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Forced Induction Cooling: Upgraded Fan Results..wow

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

go-fast, there is no reason to be impolite. If you don't like the price, that's fine - just don't buy it. You've already stated your opinion and that should be enough. Prices can be dictated by what a product is worth to a consumer, not just the cost. There is nothing unethical or arrogant about this. If the true cost is around $100 with labor, then $250 seems reasonable to me given the equipment and expertise necessary for production.

If you are here to offer your own services for less money, it would appropriate to become a forum sponsor and start your own thread and then promote your product and/or service.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:11 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by roncfpz
relax I simply asked for an opinion. I'm simply offering a first hand customer perspective.

well i am sure not everybody gets the same treatment at you anyways....
I think the interest is there(i am interested) but it need to be a Lil more competitive in pricing perhaps since not everybody needs to be charged as if the part was custom any longer.

Originally Posted by rcdash
go-fast, there is no reason to be impolite. If you don't like the price, that's fine - just don't buy it. You've already stated your opinion and that should be enough. Prices can be dictated by what a product is worth to a consumer, not just the cost. There is nothing unethical or arrogant about this. If the true cost is around $100 with labor, then $250 seems reasonable to me given the equipment and expertise necessary for production.

If you are here to offer your own services for less money, it would appropriate to become a forum sponsor and start your own thread and then promote your product and/or service.
+100 on relaxing a lil...but 100 cost to 250 is a bit much... considering this is something that would be a mass produced part to sell...i think more money can be made by volume sells than each unit being high priced, cause everybody will want this mod.
He already did the initial design... he can send it to another fabricator to have it mass produced at cheaper cost... no need to charge everybody the same labor price as the first time it was done i guess....

BUT again is it 250 really? whats the cost of the fans and install time? lets not jump so fast into conclusions

(GROUP BUy!!!!)

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 07-19-2007 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:17 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

So here's an idea: why not ask Sharif if he's amenable to a group buy? If there really is enough interest and the only issue is the price...

EDIT: ahhh, I see great minds think alike - no fair you edited after I posted

Last edited by rcdash; 07-19-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

$250 for any FI guy in the grand scheme of things is nothing, those that b!tch about the price are into the wrong hobby. Playing with these cars isnt cheap, and while this may be something most shop could do, the point is nobody has yet. With competition prices will drop, so until then pony up or STFU.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by go-fast
i thought this was an open platform for ideas not a marketing tool for tools, i suggest a way to save a buck and do some thing yourself and i get mr. snotty vendor up my a$$ and i'm the one to ignore???
You know there's this amazing concept.....if you don't want to buy it, don't.

It's quite difficult for some, but, you'll be amazed once you're able to grasp it.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:22 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by rcdash
So here's an idea: why not ask Sharif if he's amenable to a group buy? If there really is enough interest and the only issue is the price...

EDIT: ahhh, I see great minds think alike - no fair you edited after I posted

i beat you by 2 minutes
Old 07-19-2007, 07:24 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Alberto
$250 for any FI guy in the grand scheme of things is nothing, those that b!tch about the price are into the wrong hobby. Playing with these cars isnt cheap, and while this may be something most shop could do, the point is nobody has yet. With competition prices will drop, so until then pony up or STFU.

i agree 100000% but it doesnt mean youa re going to shell 300$ for spark plugs, 200 for just the motor oil or 400 for a thermostat lol

someone needs to break down the costs of the fans and isntall time plus the fabbed mod(brackets?) to really know whats the actual cost fo this cooling mod.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:25 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by buzzardmountain
You know there's this amazing concept.....if you don't want to buy it, don't.

It's quite difficult for some, but, you'll be amazed once you're able to grasp it.

werd
Old 07-19-2007, 07:32 AM
vqturbotec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well said
Old 07-19-2007, 08:14 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Our tig welder costs $2500 just for the welder, and we pay our guys pretty well for their time. Gas welding is a thing of the past...very few people use gas welders anymore for most shop/automotive fabrication. It's all about plasma cutters and tig welders. I am the first to admit, that a shroud is a simple device...nothing ground breaking. But nobody has tested the results before and after....both on the dyno, and on the track. Fabricating a NICE quality product, that not only performs, but looks great, and will last, takes much longer than 1 hour, I assure you.

We are super busy, and if nobody wants to buy the shroud, it doesnt make much difference to us. After materials, labor, and allocated overhead, we make $64 on the shroud. I appologize for not doing it for free.

I was sharing our findings, so other and people AND other shops can make their own, or buy them from us. Either way, this helps the community.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:21 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
After materials, labor, and allocated overhead, we make $64 on the shroud. I appologize for not doing it for free.

I was sharing our findings, so other and people AND other shops can make their own, or buy them from us. Either way, this helps the community.
Certainly nothing to apologize for and most of us here appreciate the effort, time, and research. Those of us that actually run a business can appreciate the actual costs that go into producing a service or product.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 AM
roncfpz

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
well i am sure not everybody gets the same treatment at you anyways....
I'm sure they treat most if not all of their customers the same way. And they were courteous and helpful BEFORE I ever spent a dime with them.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:41 AM
tig488

heres my suggestion...

go fast....either buy sharifs, or start making your own, everything looks easy and cheap until you start making them. but dont knock somebodies work when nobody else is doing anything remotely close to it.

or why dont you go to another fabricator and see what they would charge for the same thing. im sure 250 is comparable.

these guys are spending 10K+ and 250 is expensive???
Old 07-19-2007, 08:53 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Some of you guys on this form are like little children *****ing about everything?
A vendor makes or tries something new, that works. People ask how much and then start crying cause it cost to much??

Son if you think $250 is to much money for a piece of metal, for your FI car then, I too agree your in the wrong hobby let alone car platform. You want to play then you have to pay, thats just the bottom line. You guys don't like what your reading then STFU, I am sure you have better things to do.... Maybe Not.

I had a bad day, its hot, and my car stills not done.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:00 AM
go-fast
Banned

i'm not trying to outsell sharif,i just dont like his condecending attitude,i think his price point was high and suggested one could make there own for much less .i suggested gas weld for the economy ,wich by the way is not outdated every welder has it's own application and for non strucural welds such as a fan shroud it would be fine .$2500 dollars for a tig welder is not a huge investment for a shop and unless it was used 185 amp is woefully inadeqate i'm sure once you understand what duty cycles are you will upgrade to real equipment that can work all day!
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 AM
westpak
SFZCC

I think you are starting to see a different mentality of people owning 350Z's, you have most of us original "new" car buyers that spent money on the car and spend money to modify it, and now you are getting a lot of owners in the second hand market that are buying these cars for half of what we paid and looking to mod cheaply, that is not bad in any way just brings in a different mentality, you will start to see a lot of hack jobs done on 350Z's

I do agree that your (gofast) attitude in here is not very pleasant, you are attacking someone's work and only taking into account straight costs to make something and not taking into account the shops time to develop a product or their overhead, so just move on you don't have to buy it go make your own.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:49 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by westpak
I think you are starting to see a different mentality of people owning 350Z's, you have most of us original "new" car buyers that spent money on the car and spend money to modify it, and now you are getting a lot of owners in the second hand market that are buying these cars for half of what we paid and looking to mod cheaply, that is not bad in any way just brings in a different mentality, you will start to see a lot of hack jobs done on 350Z's

I do agree that your (gofast) attitude in here is not very pleasant, you are attacking someone's work and only taking into account straight costs to make something and not taking into account the shops time to develop a product or their overhead, so just move on you don't have to buy it go make your own.
i'm not picking a fight, i just suggest another way to achive a common goal and a VENDOR belittles my comment regardless of the fact i have a valid point!sharif is the thug in this situation ,immediatly slapping down anyone that treads in his sales thread.car performance was born of cheap mods, maybe some fresh faces can weed out some of the bull you are willing to overlook (forest through the trees)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:58 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
We are super busy, and if nobody wants to buy the shroud, it doesnt make much difference to us. After materials, labor, and allocated overhead, we make $64 on the shroud. I appologize for not doing it for free.

the interest is there... so if you think of a price of what it would cost if you sell this as a kit then let us know cause i am quit interested (ballpark price is good)=]
BEsides the shroud.. whats the cost of the fans...? wiring instructions?
How long it took you guys to install it??

thank in advance for your answer
Old 07-19-2007, 10:08 AM
taurran

I'll play the devil's advocate here because I see and understand both sides of the debate.

Yeah, but that's because people here have been conditioned to pay high prices for the simplest parts. You bring somoene that's been into domestic modifications and more affordable import aftermarkets and they're going to think everyone in here is insane for paying what they do. It's all a matter of perspective.

Cheap doesn't mean "hack job", just as expensive doesn't always mean quality. People buying used Z's for cheap is nothing new, hell I bought mine used back in 2004. It doesn't mean I'm necessarily cheap. I just know when something is a good value and when it isn't. People that are willing to do custom work and do big power setups for cheap are what this forum needs BADLY. The more innovators that are willing to share ideas the BETTER, whether they be at big name shops or someone working out of their garage.

I see the 350z community, and especially the FI community as sort of a racket run by shops and vendors. The shops and vendors work together to keep prices for parts and services high, while a good amount of the customers are ready and willing to pay for them. Certain customers are used to paying reasonable prices and doing things their own way and get shunned and called "cheap", or told that they're in the wrong hobby.

I don't think this is right at all. This community needs more ingenuity and smart modding, and less stifling of ideas by those who hate on people just because they themselves paid a premium for what they have.

That being said, this is not a knock on Sharif or any of the other vendors here, just an explanation of my thoughts. Sharif's shroud looks top quality and defnitely worth $250. I personally wouldn't pay for that unless I absolutely needed cooling power for the track and could not find it elsewhere for cheaper.

That being said, go-fast, if you can make one of decent quality that is much cheaper, I'm sure many people here would very much be interested. Let me know if you are doing it.

Last edited by taurran; 07-19-2007 at 10:10 AM.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:12 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I guess it might be time for me to move on the 6speedonline forum

Quick Reply: Forced Induction Cooling: Upgraded Fan Results..wow