Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 07:24 PM
goosegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't have the MPS software up and running when i datalogged the old setup. But after browsing through the old UTEC logs, it seems like the earliest I ever hit 6PSI was somewhere in the 4000RPM to 4500RPM range. From the MPS logs of the new setup, it seems I may be hitting 6PSI up to 500RPM earlier.

Old Setup - UTEC Log 2007.08.14 High Boost Map 75F

Old Setup - UTEC Log 2007.08.15 High Boost Map 80F
Old 08-30-2007, 07:26 PM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
did you try to use the other maps? maybe Julian accidentally copied the low boost map over there
I looked at the boost maps in the UTEC. Maps 1-3 are definitely low boost, and maps 4-5 are definitely high boost. This is exactly what Julian said it was.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:36 PM
athenG

Ok, I don't know what to say anymore since I don't want to speculate But I'm happy were we are all going. Daniel said that TP seem to help the spool and based on your test that the Heat Wrap did help a little too.... I guess combining both and what ever result I find with the IC, hhmmm future is a little brighter I Hope
Old 08-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey goose goose...what gear are those logs in?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:01 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Lewis,
Were the knock counts at off throttle? Also, I did lower the boost map by 5% when /I got back to the shop, cause it was hitting almost 9psi.I didnt think that 5% would make such a differenct.
One thing I have observed is the spool up of the turbo, especially on the Automatic tranny is very inconsistant. At times it will spool up lower RPMs then take off, at other times it seems to spool up..I never experienced such a hard time tuning a particular set up for power and consistancy.
The more I see, the less I like this turbo kit.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:59 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Sub zero
hey goose goose...what gear are those logs in?
Third gear.

I could not find enough room to run in 4th gear.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:06 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Lewis,
Were the knock counts at off throttle? Also, I did lower the boost map by 5% when /I got back to the shop, cause it was hitting almost 9psi.I didnt think that 5% would make such a differenct.
One thing I have observed is the spool up of the turbo, especially on the Automatic tranny is very inconsistant. At times it will spool up lower RPMs then take off, at other times it seems to spool up..I never experienced such a hard time tuning a particular set up for power and consistancy.
The more I see, the less I like this turbo kit.

I will try to correct the boost map as you suggested in your PM, and do more data logging tonight.

I believe the knock counts were off throttle.

Between the turbo setup and the auto tranny, I have a feeling the auto tranny is the slushy component behind all these inconsistencies. The next element I upgrade is definitely the SGP VB and Pro-Torque TC.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:52 AM
DanielW
Banned

I should be doing the SGP vb upgrade here in the next two weeks. I'm hoping the increased shift speed will lower the amount of boost spike I am getting between shifts. Goose, you said you weren't getting any boost spike between shifts right?
Old 08-31-2007, 05:15 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by danielwebb
I should be doing the SGP vb upgrade here in the next two weeks. I'm hoping the increased shift speed will lower the amount of boost spike I am getting between shifts. Goose, you said you weren't getting any boost spike between shifts right?
Last I measured (which was on teh old setup) boost spikes as a result of shifting on the AT were very minimal to non-existent.

Out of curiosity, what is the current turn-around time on the SGP VB upgrade? Last I checked, there was no core program, so any car looking to be upgraded had downtime of at least several days.
Old 08-31-2007, 05:40 AM
athenG

FYI, the Upgrade FMIC is Core is 20" x 12" x 3.5" and has 19 tubes and 20 fins, should be direct bolt-on but might have to cut one tube a little short. I'm still waiting if there is a core exchange and how much will it be for us testers....

Decision... decision....
Old 08-31-2007, 06:10 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

FYI, the Upgrade FMIC is Core is 20" x 12" x 3.5" and has 19 tubes and 20 fins, should be direct bolt-on but might have to cut one tube a little short. I'm still waiting if there is a core exchange and how much will it be for us testers....

Decision... decision....
I personally dont see long term high HP numbers from one of these kits in its current form. I woud focus on upgrading/outgrowing the system.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:25 AM
athenG

I personally dont see long term high HP numbers from one of these kits in its current form. I woud focus on upgrading/outgrowing the system.
I'm really searching my soul about this setup ever since you post your mad Turn Key Package . I have fallen in love with the sound if I can fix this little problem (spool time, boost drop..etc) then I can go do a motor build and Rick has lots of option for turbo upgrade. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we haven't really tested the kit to its full potential, I guess once we have tried everything (Exhaust Mod, IC.. etc) and nothing work then I would just drop everything and move on

I'm just waiting for Rick about the Upgrade IC price and if it wont cost that much for us tester then I might consider that, else I'll just make a schedule for you to upgrade my IC. Julian, please don't give up on us yet
Old 08-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I'm really searching my soul about this setup ever since you post your mad Turn Key Package . I have fallen in love with the sound if I can fix this little problem (spool time, boost drop..etc) then I can go do a motor build and Rick has lots of option for turbo upgrade. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we haven't really tested the kit to its full potential, I guess once we have tried everything (Exhaust Mod, IC.. etc) and nothing work then I would just drop everything and move on

I'm just waiting for Rick about the Upgrade IC price and if it wont cost that much for us tester then I might consider that, else I'll just make a schedule for you to upgrade my IC. Julian, please don't give up on us yet
The problem we see with it is the length of the piping to get to the intake. Keep in mind the larger turbo you go, the longer the spook up characteristics of it. So if you go from a GT25 sized turbo, to a GT37 or GT40, the top end HP will be tremendous, however the spool up time will suffer greatly. If your building a motor to rev to 9000rpms, then great. However, realisticly, I dont see a functional rear mount kit making above the 400 mark and being fun and practical to drive at the same time.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:35 AM
goosegoose

The problem we see with it is the length of the piping to get to the intake. Keep in mind the larger turbo you go, the longer the spook up characteristics of it. So if you go from a GT25 sized turbo, to a GT37 or GT40, the top end HP will be tremendous, however the spool up time will suffer greatly. If your building a motor to rev to 9000rpms, then great. However, realisticly, I dont see a functional rear mount kit making above the 400 mark and being fun and practical to drive at the same time.
400 or just under 400 is fine for me, so long as everything else about the kit is efficient, quick, and not prone to failure. Hopefully this is not an impossible goal.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:40 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by goosegoose
400 or just under 400 is fine for me, so long as everything else about the kit is efficient, quick, and not prone to failure. Hopefully this is not an impossible goal.
This is true, but keep in mind , it will not have the same spool up and driving characteristics as its counterparts. it feels very different that the TN kit, the Vortech SC and the APS ST kit..Not in a bad way, just different..
It works great for what it is, just dont place your current expectations to high.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:57 AM
athenG

/\ point taken, all we want is decent spool and a reliable power around 400 and base on other Single Turbo spool time out there, we are not that far behind.

One of the first tester I bleived tried the GT35R and was hitting full boost at 3000rpm or even below that so there is potential out there.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:01 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

/\ point taken, all we want is decent spool and a reliable power around 400 and base on other Single Turbo spool time out there, we are not that far behind.

One of the first tester I bleived tried the GT35R and was hitting full boost at 3000rpm or even below that so there is potential out there.
a GT35R is a BIG TURBO..I cant see spooling it before 4000 rpms on any VQ. The aps Extreme kit has GT3076's and they reach full spool just a tad over 4200 on a 3.5L motor.

Perhaps he had the smaller GT25 which would spool pretty fast.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:04 AM
goosegoose

who did this?
SubZero?

I need to see some definitive proof of this one, if it is for real.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:06 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah I would be totally fine with anything close to 400 at the wheels. Are you referring to sub zero with the gt35r? I thought he said his spool time suffered with the new turbo?
Old 08-31-2007, 07:12 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by danielwebb
yeah I would be totally fine with anything close to 400 at the wheels. Are you referring to sub zero with the gt35r? I thought he said his spool time suffered with the new turbo?
Agreed. I thought SubZero upgraded to a bigger turbo and suffered longer spool times as a result.

Athens, are you talking about a different person?
I hope there really was someone who changed their turbo out to improve spool times and efficiency.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread