Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 07:29 AM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danielwebb
yeah I would be totally fine with anything close to 400 at the wheels. Are you referring to sub zero with the gt35r? I thought he said his spool time suffered with the new turbo?
SubZero had gone through many different turbo's and the last time I PM'ed him, he was running the GT35R. He even told me to search for it coz GT35R are a very fast spooling turbo, maybe there was a typo on his part or he switch back to 60 trim. He did suffer some spooling time because of changing his Flywheel to a much lighter one and even I did felt the same especially on 1st gear. Rick also said that a GT35 will help it to spool faster but it really depend on what hotside you are using.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:35 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
SubZero had gone through many different turbo's and the last time I PM'ed him, he was running the GT35R. He even told me to search for it coz GT35R are a very fast spooling turbo, maybe there was a typo on his part or he switch back to 60 trim. He did suffer some spooling time because of changing his Flywheel to a much lighter one and even I did felt the same especially on 1st gear. Rick also said that a GT35 will help it to spool faster but it really depend on what hotside you are using.
OK.
Only one way to find out.
Where is SubZero?

I am going to PM him.
Old 08-31-2007, 07:40 AM
athenG

Found his post, he did change to 60-1 turbo now and that is bigger than what we have (around 130) more HP capable than the 60 trim.

Originally Posted by Sub zero
Sorry i havent posted guys...didnt see this thread

This turbo kit is like any other turbo kit...it produces boost...plain and simple. So asking a question like how long it will last is just stupid...
I have added more than 10,000 miles on my car and i have zero issues...I make more than 350rwhp also...there is another sts 350z owner with a manual trans that just left the shop a couple weeks ago. He was from idaho...hopefully he finds the forum here soon and gets to chime in also.
I am very satisfied with my Z...the only thing i would change is taking out my Fidanza flywheel and putting the stock one back on. This kit can make as much boost as your turbo/motor can handle. I was at 10 psi with a 60:1 turbo....i was MOVING....but that was only on the highway. now i am at 6.5 psi and i plan on turning it up to 11 psi in a week or two.

Last edited by athenG; 08-31-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:40 PM
DanielW
Banned

he had another post where he said that he wished he hadn't switched out the turbo because the car was faster but not as fun to drive because of the spool time. I swedagad
Old 08-31-2007, 04:14 PM
Cube

he had another post where he said that he wished he hadn't switched out the turbo because the car was faster but not as fun to drive because of the spool time. I swedagad
Yeah I remember the part where he wishes he hadn't gotten the larger turbo. I'll still be going with the larger turbo anyways just because of my power goals and the max power of the turbo. I have AWD 5AT, and to overcome the losses and put me at the 400 whp/400 wtq numbers I think I'll need the larger turbo @ maybe 12 psi...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Cube

Btw, I got a voice mail from Chris @ STS asking where the info on the new intercooler design in the works was leaked. I didn't get a chance to call him back today... but ...

He also said somethin about 350Z forums...
Old 08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
athenG

I wish Sub Zero will jus post us what really is going on with his setup...

also does the FMIC upgrade really a TOP SECRET? I guess someone might copy their FMIC Spec Spearco watch out!!!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:04 PM
Cube

Apparently it's so much a secret that some STS employees never even heard about it lol... I was the first person to tell Chris @ SouthEast STS Sales about it.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:18 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Cube
Btw, I got a voice mail from Chris @ STS asking where the info on the new intercooler design in the works was leaked. I didn't get a chance to call him back today... but ...

How many intercooler designs can there possibly be? Cmon..
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
How many intercooler designs can there possibly be? Cmon..
Lmao, I'm not saying it's a big deal... but apparently it is to them considering the R&D on putting a bigger intercooler of the same kind in requires months... and in 3 weeks maybe I can be one of the beta testers for it...
Apparently it's so much a secret that some STS employees never even heard about it lol... I was the first person to tell Chris @ SouthEast STS Sales about it.
Oh and to answer your question... two? Tube and fin, bar and plate?
Old 09-01-2007, 07:41 AM
DanielW
Banned

chris is a deusche bag
Old 09-01-2007, 07:57 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Lmao, I'm not saying it's a big deal... but apparently it is to them considering the R&D on putting a bigger intercooler of the same kind in requires months... and in 3 weeks maybe I can be one of the beta testers for it...
Ummmm..Months to put a larger intercooler on the car?LOL, I can put one on in 20 minutes and re dyno it and see if it made a difference..3 months is absurd.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:59 AM
athenG

Ummmm..Months to put a larger intercooler on the car?LOL, I can put one on in 20 minutes and re dyno it and see if it made a difference..3 months is absurd.

because it is top secret 3 months is alot for RnD
Old 09-01-2007, 08:02 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
because it is top secret 3 months is alot for RnD
Well its either going to cool the intake charge further, or not..with or without a pressure loss..I feel an intercooler slightly larger than the one provided would suffice.
Old 09-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Cube

lmao I'm not arguing with you Julian! I'm agreeing!

That's why I had such a hard time believing the info he was giving, regarding #'s the IC is "good for" and how long it's going to take before they start using this newer IC.

I'll send an E-mail to Rick so I don't have to deal with an uninformed middle-man again.

Ummm how do I get a hold of Rick personally? Via phone or E-mail? I don't want to deal with another sales rep...
Old 09-01-2007, 08:21 AM
DanielW
Banned

email....
Old 09-01-2007, 08:23 AM
DanielW
Banned

Well its either going to cool the intake charge further, or not..with or without a pressure loss..I feel an intercooler slightly larger than the one provided would suffice.

I have to say I don't agree with alot of the **** julian says but he's hit the nail on the head on this one. I know vely little about forced induction systems overall. But it would make since that you order a couple of different designs, throw each one on dyno test it and check for pressure drop and see which one is the best balance of price and performance. It would just make since that a slightly larger one would be able to handle what we're using it for anyway (something similar to the aps or turbonetics kit).
Old 09-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

I have to say I don't agree with alot of the **** julian says but he's hit the nail on the head on this one. I know vely little about forced induction systems overall. But it would make since that you order a couple of different designs, throw each one on dyno test it and check for pressure drop and see which one is the best balance of price and performance. It would just make since that a slightly larger one would be able to handle what we're using it for anyway (something similar to the aps or turbonetics kit).
I dont know why you dont agree with me most of the time...Im 95% right..
Old 09-01-2007, 09:02 AM
Cube

I dont know why you dont agree with me most of the time...Im 95% right..
That other 5% must be forum relations

Low blow?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

That other 5% must be forum relations

Low blow?
I got 2 things right here for you to relate to.. J/K
8=========D

Last edited by Julian@MRC; 09-01-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread