Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Cube

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub zero
If you drive a turbo car in the rain you have bigger problems to worry about than a cracked turbo....rwd in the rain FTL
AWD FTW
Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 PM
DanielW
Banned

Been Talking to rick at STS as AthensG suggested and he's very helpful. I'm debating right now whether I should go ahead and do a built shortblock or do the VB, TQ converter and upgrade the turbo to the GT35R which rick says will spool quicker. What do you guys think?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM
goosegoose

If you go the VB/TC route, use an SGP Valve Body and a ProTorque Torque Converter.
I have the Level Ten VB, and while it is an improvement, it still leaves MUCH to be desired.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:54 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by danielwebb
Been Talking to rick at STS as AthensG suggested and he's very helpful. I'm debating right now whether I should go ahead and do a built shortblock or do the VB, TQ converter and upgrade the turbo to the GT35R which rick says will spool quicker. What do you guys think?

Good for you, he's really very easy to talk to. If you have the $$$ then I'll definitely do it. I wanted to get the GT35R coz of it's quick spool and decent power and he has a T4 framed GT35 available if you want it. Honestly if I'm going to do a build right now I'll rather work with the STS kit just because of the simplicity of the kit, but my # 1 reason for staying with the STS is because I'm in love with the sound even when I'm just cruising with out boost.

I say talk to Rick more and he'll be more than happy to work with your goals... I did mentioned to him about you and I bet he'll be happy to show the world what the STS can do with a built motor.

Edit:
You just got the kit so I say try to max it first before you jump to a new Turbo/engine build right away... when the time comes to build then Rick has some option for you that will just be a straight drop in with the current kit. But if you have the $$ and can't wait then go all out now and be happy...

Last edited by athenG; 08-21-2007 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:12 PM
taurran

I know hey sell multiple variants of the GT35R so you have some room to work with. I don't think it's quite as simple as just walking in and buying a GT35R.

What is the hot side AR of the particular GT35R turbo you're looking at?
Old 08-21-2007, 01:21 PM
DanielW
Banned

what he suggested was a gt35r-61
Old 08-21-2007, 01:30 PM
taurran

what he suggested was a gt35r-61
When I was looking into them I could have sworn garrett offered it in .63, .82 and 1.06 AR for both the T3 and T4 turbine housings. I'd probably personally choose a T3 housing in either the .82 or .63 ar. If I really had to use a T4 turbine housing I'd definitely go with the smallest ar housing (.63).
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM
DanielW
Banned

I'm still new on the whole AR housing thing as well as t3 vs t4
Old 08-21-2007, 03:14 PM
Cube

I'm still new on the whole AR housing thing as well as t3 vs t4
Me too I know nothin about appropriate turbo sizing... all I know is I want the boost quick and not max out the turbo

So what you're sayin athenG is that there's plans for a twin kit drop in-style replacement? Just unbolt the old setup, install new exhaust piping that hooks up to a set of twins and they'll Y-together to the same intake piping?

That's gonna get a lil confusing come time someone uses a true dual, and with the 2 styles of intake piping out there... hmmm...
Old 08-21-2007, 03:36 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by taurran
When I was looking into them I could have sworn garrett offered it in .63, .82 and 1.06 AR for both the T3 and T4 turbine housings. I'd probably personally choose a T3 housing in either the .82 or .63 ar. If I really had to use a T4 turbine housing I'd definitely go with the smallest ar housing (.63).
If you want the spool up to even be comparable you'll need a smaller A/R than .63. The current STS kit runs a T4 O trim .59. Any bigger A/R and your spool up will suffer. Ditto for going to a larger trim T4. I'd be interested to see what A/R they use on the GT35 turbo. The only way its going to spool up faster is if they use the same turbine or A/R housing. If they use a T3 turbine with a larger A/R you may get a good spool up but you would need to change the flange as the STS kit comes with a T4 turbine out of box. (albeit a small T4 turbine and A/R)
Old 08-21-2007, 03:46 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
If you want the spool up to even be comparable you'll need a smaller A/R than .63. The current STS kit runs a T4 O trim .59. Any bigger A/R and your spool up will suffer. Ditto for going to a larger trim T4. I'd be interested to see what A/R they use on the GT35 turbo. The only way its going to spool up faster is if they use the same turbine or A/R housing. If they use a T3 turbine with a larger A/R you may get a good spool up but you would need to change the flange as the STS kit comes with a T4 turbine out of box. (albeit a small T4 turbine and A/R)
Yeah, I have no idea how the kit really feels behind the wheel. I think with any of the options you're going to be making a sacrifice.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:09 PM
DanielW
Banned

rick made it sound like the only sacrifice to be made for the gt35 turbo would be $$
Old 08-21-2007, 05:12 PM
taurran

rick made it sound like the only sacrifice to be made for the gt35 turbo would be $$
Possibly if you go with a small enough hot side. Never hurts to try it out.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:57 AM
DanielW
Banned

yeah I think I'm going to because I think what I would enjoy more than huge top end right now is a little more bottom and a little more top. I think the tq converter is going to help the bottom as well.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:18 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by Cube
Me too I know nothin about appropriate turbo sizing... all I know is I want the boost quick and not max out the turbo

So what you're sayin athenG is that there's plans for a twin kit drop in-style replacement? Just unbolt the old setup, install new exhaust piping that hooks up to a set of twins and they'll Y-together to the same intake piping?

That's gonna get a lil confusing come time someone uses a true dual, and with the 2 styles of intake piping out there... hmmm...
Wait... what's this about a TWIN drop in upgrade??
Is this speculation/confusion, or is there seriously an upgrade path for this?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:36 AM
athenG

It is just speculation... I was talking about a Drop-in Turbo that you can just do a swap with the current unit, that's all. Let us not get carried away until we actually see the STS ST go on sale

Goosegoose, how is the car going along?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:42 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
It is just speculation... I was talking about a Drop-in Turbo that you can just do a swap with the current unit, that's all. Let us not get carried away until we actually see the STS ST go on sale

Goosegoose, how is the car going along?
My setup needs some serious fixing.
On my 8psi boost map, I can only build a max of 5psi.

I have a huge exhaust leak between my mid pipe and the first STS exhaust pipe that replaces the OEM muffler. I will have a new gasket for that soon which will hopefully plug this leak up.

Also, my intake pipe is seriously dented in about 1.5 inches at one point.
I can't wait to get the old setup out of there and finally put in the new intake pipes up the center. That initial design is NOT GOOD AT ALL for NYC ROADS.

I should be having all this work done on Saturday, in addition to having all the heat wrapping finished up. By then, maybe the car will be running normally again, and I'll finally be able to do some UTEC/AFR logging with MPS.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:19 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by goosegoose

I have a huge exhaust leak between my mid pipe and the first STS exhaust pipe that replaces the OEM muffler. I will have a new gasket for that soon which will hopefully plug this leak up.

I can't wait to get the old setup out of there and finally put in the new intake pipes up the center. That initial design is NOT GOOD AT ALL for NYC ROADS.

I should be having all this work done on Saturday, in addition to having all the heat wrapping finished up. By then, maybe the car will be running normally again, and I'll finally be able to do some UTEC/AFR logging with MPS.

Great, are you using the XD-16 for you AF gauge? are you logging through the serial out of that? I need to find the damn wires so I can start logging my AF with Utec
Old 08-22-2007, 08:24 AM
goosegoose

Originally Posted by athenG
Great, are you using the XD-16 for you AF gauge? are you logging through the serial out of that? I need to find the damn wires so I can start logging my AF with Utec
I'm using the innovate XD-16 gauge paired with the LC-1 controller. It is innovate's all-in-one AFR gauge system. I had to re-wire and re-mount the whole thing myself, but I am now quite happy with it.

I've tested it with the serial connection, and everything seems to work great. I also ran a trial with MPS 3.0 last night, and that seems to work well too.

Since I need to RMA my UTEC anyway, I am going to plug a USB cable directly into the UTEC, and see if the logging works that way.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:29 AM
TegraRacer134

Originally Posted by goosegoose

Yeah I have the same exhaust leak as well I need to get a new gasket.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread