Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 05:06 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you saying that you think all 6 injectors failed, or just a few? How many would have to spray wide open for only 5 or 6 seconds to damage an engine? Also, how could the engine even run in the first place if it was getting so much fuel? Just curious.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:12 PM
aarantes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by failsafe306
Are you saying that you think all 6 injectors failed, or just a few? How many would have to spray wide open for only 5 or 6 seconds to damage an engine? Also, how could the engine even run in the first place if it was getting so much fuel? Just curious.
That is something Sharif would have to explain I dont know much about this kind of stuff I was learning as I went But he said 5 out of the 6 were wide open. You are the second person to ask how it even started tho....(not trying to be a smarta$$) just makes me wonder to.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:15 PM
taurran

That totally sucks... I hope you guys are able to get your issues resolved without too much trouble.

I never really trusted STS or their vendors since one of them logged on to our club site trying to presell the kits to unsuspecting members, and claiming they made 406whp @ 6psi.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:17 PM
failsafe306

This all sucks because I was considering the STS system for my next Z, that is if they make a kit for the HR engine. But not after all of this BS...
Old 09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
aarantes

Yeah I am heart broken and wallet broken after this ordeal. I was planning on going down to the 1/4 tracks for the first time and autocrosses for the first time and all in my first FI car but guess what I am going to be out 8k(if sts takes back there kit which I am hoping is worst case scenario but if they dont im out 13k) and no FI.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:28 PM
failsafe306

Who did you buy the kit from? I'm assuming you just brought it to Forged so they could do the install?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:29 PM
VIZAGE

You know Alex, after I got off the phone with you. I was talking to my dad about what happened. He told me one time he had the same problem with one of his trucks long time ago. I don't know why I don't recall this, must of been to young. Were talking mid 90's. It wasn't FI obviously, but the fuel injectors locked open and locked his motor up in seconds.

Just thought I'd mention it to you.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:32 PM
aarantes

No I bought it straight from STS and had Forged install it.

Chris yeah that seems like the most logical thing but even if it were proven that it was the injectors I dont think I will see a penny from anyone...
Old 09-26-2007, 06:04 PM
failsafe306

Thumbs down

That's bs. A product that they sold you was obviously faulty from the get-go and caused your engine to fail. It's not like their product worked fine, but a tuning problem or improper install cause your motor to fail, for example. I hope you bring legal action against STS if they continue to be uncooperative.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:19 PM
aarantes

I was going to but everyone is saying I wont see anything come from it that they will just pass on the blame to something else.

I dont understand much about engine and turbos but it has to be the kit. The car was never put in gear or anything just started up and from my understanding which is limited the turbo doesnt do anything at those RPMs. If the injectors were stuck open it was either the injectors or the UTEC but Sharif said he looked over the map and it look just fine.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:22 PM
failsafe306

It shouldn't matter if it was directly related to the turbocharger itself or not, THEY sold the kit to you. THEY should be liable for the kit they "assembled" and sold.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:48 PM
4SHIZZIL

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

When will we learn that shops are here to make money, not make our cars go fast? Who knows what really happen. I only have had/heard of people being real people, that truly care, when those people are from or in the south. South meaning... any person, place or thing located south of Richmond Virgina.

I will cut your grass for 130 bucks every half hour. Not trying to sound like a *****, but I am making a point is all. Please take my comments with a grain of salt.

Shariff is a great guy and poor business practices is making him a rich man. He seems to have his ducks in a row and despite the popularity he still appears to remain humble. With great power comes great responsibility. Money hungry people will learn that the quick dollar is often the last dollar made.

Damm I sound like an old man...lol.

Good luck with the car man. Take your time next time and let someone else blow there shizzil up first. Seems like your kit is still in the beta stage. I have waited on the Greddy...rev up issues blew a car up...APS...too much boost on a stock block out of the box..blew a car up..hell i blew a stock engine up (oil consumption).

I am still waiting on a solid solution that is out of the box, stock block. I dont want to alter one piece when I buy. This thread promotes STS isnt close to that.

Still waiting....n/a ftw

Last edited by 4SHIZZIL; 09-26-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:57 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

5 spark plugs totally soaked in fuel, and 1 spark plug mildly soaked. At 100% duty cycle, the cylinders will fill with fuel in seconds (the combustion chamber is only about 45cc....not very big at all. When we pulled the spark plugs, and kicked the engine over, raw fuel just shot out of all the cylinders like a water fountain.

It seems unlikely that 5-6 injectors would all be bad, which might point to a UTEC malfunction. But we'll know soon enough, after we get the injectors back from inspection/testing.

Edit: Just a side note. I know people have had issues with STS, including Alex. But MRC is right, the chances of getting some kind of compensation for this are probably zero. If STS wants to help, I would hope they could at least allow Alex to return this kit for a full refund, so he can offset some of the cost of getting his car back up and running. Then he decide if he wants to go a different route with forced induction.

Last edited by Sharif@Forged; 09-27-2007 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:02 AM
DanielW
Banned

Regardless of where STS gets parts for the kit from they take ultimate responsibility for the quality of the product that they deliver to the end user.

There was a company that made some kid of construction lifts for construction at high heights. They ordered some sort of bolts from a company in china that were supposed to be pressure tested and stamped saying that they passed inspection. One of the lifts ended up failing and killing a couple of guys and after an investigation the bolts were found to be at fault (they had failed). EVen though they had the stamp on them and it turned out that the company in china wasn't actually testing them (they were just producing and then stamping), the company that produced the lifts was ultimately held FINANCIALLY resonsible in court.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:41 AM
athenG

APS/TN/Greddy/ATI/Vortec/Stillen all has blown motor (overboosting, EMS/inj failing..etc) tell me how many of these manufacturer gave out engine because of it? This is an industry problem and this is something we all need to deal with.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 AM
TegraRacer134

That's bs. A product that they sold you was obviously faulty from the get-go and caused your engine to fail. It's not like their product worked fine, but a tuning problem or improper install cause your motor to fail, for example. I hope you bring legal action against STS if they continue to be uncooperative.
Its people like you that don't see the big picture. the STS Turbo Kit did not fail. It was either the Turbo XS UTEC, not the STS made engine management. Or it was the RC Injectors not STS made injectors. Sure STS includes them in a kit but its not something they make in house so STS really isnt responsible to pay for a new engine. So really STS could tell him to screw off and he couldnt do anything about it.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:19 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by athenG
APS/TN/Greddy/ATI/Vortec/Stillen all has blown motor (overboosting, EMS/inj failing..etc) tell me how many of these manufacturer gave out engine because of it? This is an industry problem and this is something we all need to deal with.
But how many of those blown motors were a DIRECT result of a part being bad out of the box? Probably none. Almost ALL of those kits problems were related to tuning, not bad parts. STS should show some class and give the guy a full refund, like Sharif suggested.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 AM
aarantes

AT this point I will just be happy if Rick will take the kit back and gives me a full refund.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
failsafe306

Originally Posted by TegraRacer134
Its people like you that don't see the big picture. the STS Turbo Kit did not fail. It was either the Turbo XS UTEC, not the STS made engine management. Or it was the RC Injectors not STS made injectors. Sure STS includes them in a kit but its not something they make in house so STS really isnt responsible to pay for a new engine. So really STS could tell him to screw off and he couldnt do anything about it.
People like me?

That UTEC and injectors came as part of a COMPLETE STS TURBO KIT. He didn't buy the UTEC and injectors from a third party. If he did, then I'd agree with you.

If you bought a brand new APS turbo kit, and the out-of-the-box Unichip messed up, or the Bosch injectors messed up, who would you blame? APS, or Unichip/Bosch?
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 AM
CRIDDA

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

But how many of those blown motors were a DIRECT result of a part being bad out of the box? Probably none. Almost ALL of those kits problems were related to tuning, not bad parts. STS should show some class and give the guy a full refund, like Sharif suggested.

From reading this they would most likely give him a refund, but they protect themselves from having to replace his engine. On the other hand, I dont know how well it would look for them at SEMA, when a bunch of import tuners and customers are complaing and spreading the word of how they treat customers and how they release a product that has not been proved to be a safe(now I know going FI is a risk in itself) and or reliable like they advertise.

STS Refund and Warranty Policies

1. All purchases of turbo systems or parts are final.

2. In accordance with the STS Limited Parts Warranty, STS will replace any defective part of the turbo system for a period of 12 months. If you believe you the parts warranty applies to your system, please call 866-WE-TURBO to discuss your options on getting a replacement part.

Squires Turbo Systems designs quality products and tests them on real vehicles in Utah. However, any type of forced induction can result in serious damage to your vehicle. Squires Turbo Systems is not responsible for any damage to your vehicle caused by the turbo system or any other components.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread