Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
App6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Polosport
If you compare cost of the two though! You can see bang for the buck! Know what I mean!
Don't have to tell me. I'm an advocate for the STS ;p
Old 01-16-2008, 05:23 PM
ryn996

Keep the info coming guys. I've got a G but you can't find much information on this kit over on G35Driver. This is the best source of information I've found so far.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Daniel, are they going to mess with your boost controller?(when they tune your car)

I would like to see what the respected tuners can do with a proper boost controller...
Old 01-16-2008, 05:34 PM
DanielW
Banned

Not sure if they're gonna mess with the EBC or not thats totally up to JT. I've got it where I'm comfortable with it now but I certainly wouldn't object to a pro dialing it in
Old 01-19-2008, 07:31 AM
TheProfessional

My gauges are now up for sale here if you STS guys want the best single display option:

https://my350z.com/forum/accessories/329545-fs-gauges-plx-bnib-plasma-screen-oled-afr-egt-ait-boost-temp.html
Old 01-23-2008, 06:44 PM
JOEGYVER

Quick question leading into a comment for Daniel, Does your blow off valve open between shifts being that you have an auto? If not, is this not the likely cause of your boost creep (RPMs suddenly drop after gear change, not allowing pressurized intake to flow and expel at rate when at higher previous RPM, so temporary boost spike until wastegate is signaled to open)? Second Q, has anyone considered that the 5AT's longer gears are allowing the turbo to spool up and build boost before having to shift as compared to the 6 speeds less time in each gear? Just thinking about your situations, I dig the STS and want all the quarks worked out of the system and also want to know what works to improve the base kit!
Old 01-24-2008, 11:16 AM
DanielW
Banned

my boost spike issue has nothing to do with the kit. The BOV doesn't open on an auto when shifting gears but that is not the reason for the boost spike. It has something to do with the Wastegate having to have "reaction time" to the shift i think. I'm just trying to minimize my spike and reallized that with the ebc I had the duty cycle turned up to high. I was getting the right boost and it was spooling harder but it would allow for greater spikes between gears causing me to occassionaly hit fuel cut off. Anyway i lowered the duty cycle and now all is cool. Going to Orlando tomorrow for a retune!!!
Old 01-26-2008, 04:29 AM
DanielW
Banned

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm here in Orlando and getting ready to take the car to performance factory to get tuned. I'm Psyched!!! I think we
re just gonna turn the boost up to 8.5psi since thats right at .60 bar on the apexi avcr and it holds better to round numbers like that (at least in my experience). I'll let everyone know as soon as i get the car back tomorrow morning
Old 01-26-2008, 04:36 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

Oh go for 9psi you little girl
Old 01-26-2008, 04:52 AM
App6MT

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
Hahahah.

Definitely let us know how it goes Daniel.
Old 01-26-2008, 06:32 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by DJ SMITTY
+1
Old 01-26-2008, 05:32 PM
DanielW
Banned

got the car back. Its running between 8 and 8.5 psi right now. Sorry guys, I just kept going back to the thread where people listed there setups and what psi they were tuned at. No one on that list blew there motor up runing @8.x PSI so thats where that decision came from.

Anyway, I didn't wanna go for to much more Horsepower with this tune in the first place, I just wanted to get a final tune on the car after the test pipes and everything and bump the boost up just a bit. Jeremy accomplished exactly what I wanted even after having to battle with the infamous AVC-R boost controller. The car made 35X horsepower and runs super smooth, I couldn't be happier with the car right now.

I'd also like to add in a quick word about Jeremy Tibbs. He's one of the coolest people I've met. Really laid back down to earth guy. He even stayed a little later on Saturday so me and my fiance could stay at Disney World until it closed. I would highly recommend him to anyone considering getting this or any other kit tuned.
Old 01-26-2008, 05:47 PM
athenG

Can you post some dyno? Do you still hit full boost on 1st gear? Were do you hit full boost? I'm running 8-8.5 psi pretty much exclusively so I think you are going to be fine.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:16 PM
DanielW
Banned

yeah with the apexi avc-r it can hit any boost in any gear really for the most part. Full boost in every gear FTW. I don't have a copy of the dyno sheet though sorry.
Old 01-26-2008, 11:12 PM
aarantes

That sounds really good man I might just have to take bill up on his offer and have CIN install my kit and this time maybe it will work haha.

What does Jeremy think about this kit?
Old 01-27-2008, 04:55 AM
DanielW
Banned

Originally Posted by aarantes
That sounds really good man I might just have to take bill up on his offer and have CIN install my kit and this time maybe it will work haha.

What does Jeremy think about this kit?

yeah deffinitely man. CIN Will do it to it right on through it

I'm not sure what Jeremy's thoughts on the kit are. You'll have to ask him.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:13 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I hope you are happy with the tune. I know was impressed with how smooth it was after I got tuned. I think we should gather together the dyno graphs of different set ups: side pipe vs center pipes, side pipe vs center pipes(with test pipes), side pipe vs center pipes(test pipes, larger mid pipe, heat wrap etc).

on a side note:

Has anyone had a problem with their blow off valve not opening? Mine does not open for some reason except when it gets warm(?). I can only figure that one of my charge air pipe couplings has a leak but my boost is still constant and holds.

Last edited by Ahsmo; 01-27-2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:28 AM
athenG

/\ There is one in G35driver who had the same problem on colder weather, I pm'ed him and I'll let you know what he did. I have driven lots of times in weather below freezing and my BOV is fine.

You can ask goosegoose to post his dyno again coz he had the side pipe and then switched to the new pipes. Basically his dyno looked just like mine were he hit his max HP a few hundred sooner but the power drop after 6100rpm. We don't know what is the reason of the drop but I'm thinking it's probably the extra IAT since the charge pipe is right next to the CAT and Tranny. He also had the Stock G35 bumper so that didn't help. I haven't dynoed mine with my new bumper.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:33 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Ahsmo
Has anyone had a problem with their blow off valve not opening? Mine does not open for some reason except when it gets warm(?). I can only figure that one of my charge air pipe couplings has a leak but my boost is still constant and holds.
I know it is a silly question but were you hitting boost 4psi+ when you experienced this? mine don't open in the beginning but that is because it takes a while before my turbo is warmed up and actually creating enough boost the first time is start the car.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:59 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally Posted by athenG
/\ There is one in G35driver who had the same problem on colder weather, I pm'ed him and I'll let you know what he did. I have driven lots of times in weather below freezing and my BOV is fine.

You can ask goosegoose to post his dyno again coz he had the side pipe and then switched to the new pipes. Basically his dyno looked just like mine were he hit his max HP a few hundred sooner but the power drop after 6100rpm. We don't know what is the reason of the drop but I'm thinking it's probably the extra IAT since the charge pipe is right next to the CAT and Tranny. He also had the Stock G35 bumper so that didn't help. I haven't dynoed mine with my new bumper.
Yeah I have the center pipe sitting in the box still. I have been hesitant to install it because I am afraid my power will drop significantly. I asked STS if they thought upgrading to the larger intercooler would offset the added heat but they said no. I had to shim my charge pipe because my test pipes hit it. At low RPM the engine would torque and the test pipe would hit the charge air pipe which is connected directly to the frame of the car. Made the entire car rattle, needless to say pretty annoying. Due to the close proximity of the side charge are pipe to the test pipe I wonder if the center pipe really would hurt me that much? I figure in the summer intake temps will become more of an issue but for now, not so much.

Originally Posted by athenG
I know it is a silly question but were you hitting boost 4psi+ when you experienced this? mine don't open in the beginning but that is because it takes a while before my turbo is warmed up and actually creating enough boost the first time is start the car.
Before on wastegate pressure, it opened. Now it doesn't open at all. I can only figure that I have a leak in one of my control lines. Thanks for PMing him.

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread