Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 06:14 PM
goosegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this for a turbo blanket.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 PM
DudeMan

Originally Posted by goosegoose
Try this for a turbo blanket.
you can find them for under $100
Old 03-26-2009, 08:03 PM
skn5002

I am deciding on whether I should modify the midpipe and replace the resonator with a muffler as goosegoose has done. My plans were to run resonated testpipes but am drawn back by the loudness that I have read about. I realize that under boost with an open wastegate, it will be loud which isn't a problem. However, for low rpm normal driving I would like it to be no louder than an aftermarket exhaust (I have an Xo2 right now w/ stock cats). By replacing the resonator with a magnaflow muffler, how much reduction in noise is expected? Is there a pretty significant difference and will it be at least be bearable for everyday driving?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:08 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by skn5002
I am deciding on whether I should modify the midpipe and replace the resonator with a muffler as goosegoose has done. My plans were to run resonated testpipes but am drawn back by the loudness that I have read about. I realize that under boost with an open wastegate, it will be loud which isn't a problem. However, for low rpm normal driving I would like it to be no louder than an aftermarket exhaust (I have an Xo2 right now w/ stock cats). By replacing the resonator with a magnaflow muffler, how much reduction in noise is expected? Is there a pretty significant difference and will it be at least be bearable for everyday driving?
Open dump WS with STS is not as loud as the Front Mount because the exhaust and the midpipe resonator already filtered the noise. Having said that, goosegoose car is much much quieter than mine so what ever he have does work. He's car is no louder than any aftermarket exhaust out there...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:50 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Where are you guys plugging in your wide band during tuning? I think one of the STS instructions showed the wide band like clipped to the rear exhaust pipe and that I've never seen before. Is there a reason why I wouldn't just put it in my test pipe?
Old 03-27-2009, 05:04 AM
Boozt

update on the rear diffuser.....I rate the overall product a "B" for quailty and a "B-"for intitial test fit. So far the piping clears with minimal modification to the diffuser. I'll post pics when it's complete.- Jim
Old 03-27-2009, 05:43 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Originally Posted by Boozt
update on the rear diffuser.....I rate the overall product a "B" for quailty and a "B-"for intitial test fit. So far the piping clears with minimal modification to the diffuser. I'll post pics when it's complete.- Jim
Boozt you equipping the MG TS Diffuser? I am putting it on my Do-Luck rear bumper in a week or so here. I'll take pics of mine once it's on.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:32 AM
tiguy99

Goosegoose, care to share how you make your ride so quiet?
Old 03-27-2009, 07:19 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by eXe-Chris
Where are you guys plugging in your wide band during tuning? I think one of the STS instructions showed the wide band like clipped to the rear exhaust pipe and that I've never seen before. Is there a reason why I wouldn't just put it in my test pipe?
Use Bank2 (Driver Side) for tuning. I have mine drilled on the TP..
Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
JonnyC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by skn5002
I'll be able to let you know how loud it would be with test pipes and the Magnaflow resonator hopefully within a month.

Here's goosegoose's response to me when I asked about installing the resonator...

The MagnaFlow 12216 helped a bit, and I’m glad I did it. You need to be careful welding that into position though, since it is not a tad bit lower than where the calsonic resonator was. You can’t weld it too high either, since it comes very close to the driveline.

I actually installed a HushPower HP-2 Shorty Resonator in-line of the transversal STS exhaust pipe between the wastegate and the turbo exhaust inlet. It looks amazingly OEM.
The car was a bit loud at startup, but I could not stand the droning noise it made at 2K RPM. I think I know exactly what you’re talking about. With my existing setup, it’s not dead quiet or anything, but I am no where near as nerve-racked as I was at 2K RPM. It’s much much more bearable now.

The addition of the Magnaflow and the HushPower both helped, but I think the Magnaflow made the bigger difference. I’d say to start there.
tiguy99 - goosegoose has now responded to you, through proxy Wait, is goosegoose a god? He very well may be

EDIT: FYI he is running resonated test pipes along with that exhaust setup. Those test pipes are now being sold to me
Old 03-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Boozt

Originally Posted by eXe-Chris
Boozt you equipping the MG TS Diffuser? I am putting it on my Do-Luck rear bumper in a week or so here. I'll take pics of mine once it's on.
Yes Mastergrade....I hope to get it on tonight and to modify for a clean fit.....I'm type A and fit/finish is important to me.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 AM
eXe-Chris
Banned

Originally Posted by athenG
Use Bank2 (Driver Side) for tuning. I have mine drilled on the TP..
Thanks bud.

Yes Mastergrade....I hope to get it on tonight and to modify for a clean fit.....I'm type A and fit/finish is important to me.
Good luck man!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I'll be able to let you know how loud it would be with test pipes and the Magnaflow resonator hopefully within a month.

Here's goosegoose's response to me when I asked about installing the resonator...

tiguy99 - goosegoose has now responded to you, through proxy Wait, is goosegoose a god? He very well may be

EDIT: FYI he is running resonated test pipes along with that exhaust setup. Those test pipes are now being sold to me
We need a smiley that bows down but isn't laughing.

I would love to hear his setup in action. Maybe a startup and idle clip and a cruising around clip so we can hear what his car is like for ourselves

What brand TPs did you pick up?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:56 AM
JonnyC

Originally Posted by tiguy99
What brand TPs did you pick up?
Kinetix coated in JetHot Extreme.

He needs to buy larger diameter ones in order to support his power goals.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:35 PM
Boozt

You guys ever notice how the STS set up feels like a 2-stroke dirt bike.....power is good and predictable then wham violent power and wheel spin in a blink. I'm running the manual boost controller (which I sure is to blame) as I couldn't get a Greddy piece of garbage EBC to work in the past. Not complaining....I'm use to it and can drive the hell out of it street and track (AutoX and Large tracks), just curious.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:26 PM
skn5002

You guys ever notice how the STS set up feels like a 2-stroke dirt bike.....power is good and predictable then wham violent power and wheel spin in a blink. I'm running the manual boost controller (which I sure is to blame) as I couldn't get a Greddy piece of garbage EBC to work in the past. Not complaining....I'm use to it and can drive the hell out of it street and track (AutoX and Large tracks), just curious.
What type of manual boost controller are you running? I was planning to go with the Hallman evo RX mbc since I do not need many of the functions offered on an ebc. Any negatives to running a manual boost controller?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:48 AM
goosegoose

Silly people.
I'm not God.
Life has just been ridiculously busy lately.

Sorry for not checking this forum as often as I should.

Here's how my exhaust has evolved since summer 2007:

Setup ONE
OEM Manifolds
OEM CATs
OEM Y-Pipe
OEM Midpipe with OEM Resonator
STS Tail pipe
Verdict: Pretty loud, but not unbearable. Drone/rasp at ~2K-RPM was unbearable.

Setup TWO
OEM Manifolds (JetHot-Coated and Header-Wrapped)
Fast Intentions HFCs (Header-Wrapped)
OEM Y-Pipe (JetHot-Coated and Header-Wrapped)
OEM Midpipe with OEM Resonator
STS Endpipe
Verdict: Louder than before. Drone/rasp at ~2K-RPM was VERY unbearable.

Setup THREE
Fast Intentions HFCs (Header-Wrapped - CAT cracked and blown away)
OEM Midpipe with Magnaflow Muffler (JetHot-Coated and Header-Wrapped)
STS Endpipe with Hushpower Resonator (JetHot-Coated and Header-Wrapped)
Verdict: Not as loud as before. Drone/rasp at ~2K-RPM became acceptable.

Setup FOUR
Kinetix Resonated Test Pipes (JetHot-Coated)
Verdict: Fumes stink. Overall volume acceptable. Loud as hell at WOT. Drone at ~2K-RPM became very acceptable.

Setup FIVE (Pending-Perhaps by Late Summer 2009)
OEM HR Headers (JetHot-Coated)
GTM HR Resonated Test Pipes (JetHot-Coated)
Motordyne XYZ Pipe with HFC Option (JetHot-Coated)
Verdict: No idea. Hopefully fumes won't stink up at least.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:41 AM
skn5002

^Great info... thanks!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:30 AM
JonnyC

Thanks Lewis! I'm interested in hearing how things work out with the XYZ pipe. I'll have to see if I can handle the smell of not having cats anymore.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM
DudeMan

im building a motor and going to be running the sts until i save up for a big custom front mount single... so what size injectors do you recommend for over 500whp on an sts?

Quick Reply: Official STS Rear Mount Turbo Discussion Thread