Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

It's done! ~~MoTeC M800~~ running on my car *pics*videos*

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 10:33 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turismo
How does this compare with the Vpro? Are the maps larger?
What seperates the Motec from other EMS's is its ability...literally...to comand any device or mechanism you can dream up. You are not limited to fixed tables of information. MoTec is infinitely configurable to do anything you would like. For instance, if you wanted to create a fuel map, that would reference coolant temp vs. right rear wheel speed sensor...you could do that. Of course, you wouldnt need to do that, but its just an example of how you can map against any sensor values you can think of, for whatever purpose you can dream up.

It also has one of the most sophisticated and elegant traction control systems I have ever seen.

Will an average street driving customer notice the day-to-day difference between a car tuned with FCON, or a car tuned with MoTec...arguabley not. But for the users looking for the best, particularly those that road race their cars..the MoTec has no rival.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:44 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
What seperates the Motec from other EMS's is its ability...literally...to comand any device or mechanism you can dream up. You are not limited to fixed tables of information. MoTec is infinitely configurable to do anything you would like. For instance, if you wanted to create a fuel map, that would reference coolant temp vs. right rear wheel speed sensor...you could do that. Of course, you wouldnt need to do that, but its just an example of how you can map against any sensor values you can think of, for whatever purpose you can dream up.

It also has one of the most sophisticated and elegant traction control systems I have ever seen.

Will an average street driving customer notice the day-to-day difference between a car tuned with FCON, or a car tuned with MoTec...arguabley not. But for the users looking for the best, particularly those that road race their cars..the MoTec has no rival.
Thank Sharif

Well said here, truly a work of art, and the traction control system is simply unparalleled. I do road race the car, hence this is a definite appeal for me. But aside from that, it's ability to be completely universal is jus out ofthis world. And, as I said, anyone can write software that looks this good, but for the software to be so universal AND for it to work better than anything out on the market...that's MoTeC.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow-lots of hard work put in there. I applaud your brass to take it to the next level, just sick. Good luck with it all.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:46 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Good job...keep us posted on the tuning. MoTec is the premier professional grade EMS out there...nice work. GTM and FP are both Motec trained, so there will certainly be a few more select customers running this EMS.

When are you planning on tuning it on the dyno?
Hopefully this weekend... We'll see. Trying to iron out the basics. Getting the injectors spec'd at different fuel pressures and battery voltages, so that I have a solid baseline for fuel control. Not taking any chances.

I'll keep all posted, trying to think down to the minutia to make this tune state-of-the-art.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by rcdash
Holy crap Gurgen, you training to go in to a new line of work? Serious props man...
Hehe...yeah I just had to. it became a mission in life, not sure about hte second line of work..lol... Have too many years of schooling for my day job, so yeah, won't be leaving that any time soon.

But, may help out fellow forum members to get the system running, time-permitting.

Last edited by GurgenPB; 09-26-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 AM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by turismo
How does this compare with the Vpro? Are the maps larger?
Well, actually some maps are not larger, but believe me, they are more than enough.

Fcon Timing/Fuel (Load x RPM): 32x32
MoTeC Timing: 24x55, Fuel: 24x40

Changes of fueling with respect to load (map) are veyr smooth and gradual, hence 24 is more than enough, interpolation works well for eerythign in between. RPM on the other hand does require very fine adjustments, given the resonance effects at different points (due to valves), hence the monstrous range of 40 or 55. Also, remember that the Motec has a 32,000rpm limit, hence the 40, 55 site rpm axes are necessary here.

And yes, it is better than a Vpro in every way except one: COST. But, if you can do the work yourself, it doesn't cost that much more than a fully loaded Fcon.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:06 AM
MardiGrasMax

IMHO, True race car traction control makes this worth it over all the others.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:15 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Originally Posted by MardiGrasMax
IMHO, True race car traction control makes this worth it over all the others.
Especially if you can do the work yourself!
Old 09-26-2007, 12:20 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper

Can't believe I forgot to mention the people that helped me with this setup.

Neel Vasavada of Apex Speed Tech is a true genious, which is the authorized MoTeC dealer who I got the unit from. Neel does race cars almost exclusively, and my kind of a project is on the far low end of the price scale for the kind of stuff that he does, but he is always nothing but a consummate professional, and always extremely helpful and reachable. Even on weekends on his cell while he was in Chicago.

Neel, utmost thanks for all your help. Simon Wagner of MoteC, thanks very much for all your help as well, you are a true genius.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:26 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Gurgen,

In regards to the knock detection - I am unclear on the external device you pictured. Is that a standalone DSP unit that receives input from the stock knock sensor, deciphers what is noise and what is true knock and then sends the signal for true knock to the MoTeC?

I didn't see a "knock amp" that you listed as your purchases or in Sam's list of available products. What is that little box?

Also if I missed it you got a version of the 800 - not the 880, right? Looks like all the "upgrades" are for the 880 (telemetry, more memory, more injector drivers, etc)...

Very interested in this for the future for a complete carPC integration project...

Last edited by rcdash; 09-26-2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GurgenPB
The close-up of the knock-unit. Motec does not have any built-in knock functionality, acoording to them, because it can't be made to work as reliably as the rest of the system. But, it does have PLENTY of controls for external knock devices, pretty trick stuff.... more on that later.
Nice work! But regarding this knock unit, I have tried interfacing that unit with my Motec M600 with limited success. It is sensitive to high rpm noise, and to calibrate it you need to adjust the **** till it triggers on actual knock. And the trigger is just on/off, I had asked for a voltage output that scales with knock severity but was told it was not possible. So at best you can use it to trigger a fixed ignition retard on knock, which might be good for a failsafe device, but I have not found it useful for actual tuning (personally I use a older gen HKS knock amp w/ headphones).

Last edited by kuah@splparts.com; 09-26-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:46 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by kuah@splparts.com
Nice work! But regarding this knock unit, I have tried interfacing that unit with my Motec M600 with limited success. It is sensitive to high rpm noise, and to calibrate it you need to calibrate the **** till it triggers on actual knock. And the trigger is just on/off, I had asked for a voltage output that scales with knock severity but was told it was not possible. So at best you can use it to trigger a fixed ignition retard on knock, which might be good for a failsafe device, but I have not found it useful for actual tuning (personally I use a older gen HKS knock amp w/ headphones).
Do you use the HKS knock amp just for tuning or do you have it wired in to the MoTeC all the time as a failsafe?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

So how does the MoTec compare to the Greddy Emanage Ultimate?

hehehehehe.....
As for the work, great job man. Talk about one hell of a DIY project. I'm sure there are 350z owners out that there that can barely hook up their cable TV. HAHAHHAHA

Last edited by MethodRN; 09-26-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:11 PM
turismo

Super Afc > Motec
Old 09-26-2007, 01:14 PM
kuah@splparts.com
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash
Do you use the HKS knock amp just for tuning or do you have it wired in to the MoTeC all the time as a failsafe?
I just use it for tuning, it is not wired to the Motec. AFAIK the HKS knock amp has no outputs that can be used for the Motec that way, but I have not seen the new unit in person.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:44 PM
GlenRoseFireFighter

Gurg! I love you man!
Old 09-26-2007, 10:51 PM
Weqster

Very nice. Finally something that is cheaper in aus. There are plenty of road cars around running motec's!
Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 AM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Motec is the Shizzle... but complete over kill for a street car IMO...

As for traction control, I just upgraded my traction control to the new 2008 Formula 1 Spec - My Right Foot

Old 09-27-2007, 08:36 AM
Shabib67

^Or you could get the race logic traction control unit.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:13 PM
THX723

MoTeC's traction control is phenomenal as well as their boost control. The customizability is also worth the squeeze all by itself. The real gem is however their tuning and control methodology, which rivals the OEMs. Having siad that, the "box" is only as good as the programmer himself. This is where the good, the bad, and the ugly are seperated. *If* thoroughly considered, configured, and tuned, the managment system can allow your engine to operate optimally under nearly any enviromental conditions (e.g. -100ft elev. or 10,000ft elev.) and able to retain that state of tune for extended periods through its learning algorithms (trims).

Congrats buddy for finally taking the MoTeC plunge.

Last edited by THX723; 09-27-2007 at 03:18 PM.

Quick Reply: It's done! ~~MoTeC M800~~ running on my car *pics*videos*