Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
OK. On a preliminary tear down, it appears that there are 4 bearing that have fried. 2 rod bearings and 2 main bearings.

Rings are all intact. (I found this to be very surprising)

Now, I need a little help in understanding why smoke would come from the driver side only. Would bearing failure smoke up and create a trail of smoke on only 1 side of the engine? If not than I guess the turbo bearings may have failed also. That might explain the driver side smoking. Justifying the whine. (Perhaps caused form metal flakes getting pushed into the turbo oil feed line.)

I still need help finding a reputable shop to evaluate a set of greddy turbos.
I have the option of going to a shop in CT, but I was hoping to find something closer to home (NYC). If not, I'm heading up to CT Monday.

I'll share more details when I get more info.
Oil pump failure? Or over reving??Or detonation??
Old 12-30-2007, 09:35 AM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Oil pump failure? Or over reving??Or detonation??
But would that cause smoke from one side? Both turbos are connected via the Greddy extension leads, so a pump failure would starve them both.

Would a bearing failure create smoke? I know it would cause a drop in oil pressure.

I just want my motor back, or a new one at that.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

But would that cause smoke from one side? Both turbos are connected via the Greddy extension leads, so a pump failure would starve them both.
Cracked oil line on that turbo feed??

Would a bearing failure create smoke? I know it would cause a drop in oil pressure.

I just want my motor back, or a new one at that.
Well the smoke would be from the turbo, or ringlands for sure..Also from the heads..
However you now have 2 issues not only one.

1) a reportedly bad/smoking turbo
2) spun bearings

Randy, to show you what type of man I am, and the level of integrity we have, bring me your turbo, you and I can both walk it right into Greddy's warehouse for inspection /warranty, by their tech guy wehom I am very good friends with. Despite the fact you did not even buy it from me..
Old 12-30-2007, 01:24 PM
rrmedicx

Pm
Old 12-30-2007, 02:58 PM
athenG

Randy, to show you what type of man I am, and the level of integrity we have, bring me your turbo, you and I can both walk it right into Greddy's warehouse for inspection /warranty, by their tech guy wehom I am very good friends with. Despite the fact you did not even buy it from me..

That is a great offer!!! OP, good luck to you.
Old 12-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cracked oil line on that turbo feed??

Well the smoke would be from the turbo, or ringlands for sure..Also from the heads..
However you now have 2 issues not only one.

1) a reportedly bad/smoking turbo
2) spun bearings

That has to be the most stand-up thing I have read all year.

Randy, without actually being there during the tuning process, it's going to be difficult to determine where this smoke came from. The bearings, in themselves, will not cause the smoke. To see bearings fried to copper in a short period of time, can only be two things. Oil starvation, or severe and continous detonation, that hammers the big end of the rod. The pistons Kyle used are probably pretty stout, and may not "chip", as some weaker pistons may.

Definately go with a fresh set of rings, and whatever else Kyle recommends to do. And get that turbo inspected. You will also want to pressure test your cylinder heads.

Just trust me....once an engine undergoes some trauma, I would check EVERYTHING. Best of luck!
Old 12-30-2007, 07:53 PM
rrmedicx

I will definitely be taking advantage of this offer. Thank you Julian.
Very cool.
Thanks Sharif. I am working with Kyle to figure out the best plan of action. Part of the delay is the machine shop (in Texas) is off for the holidays. Once they return, things will get moving again.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:05 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

I will definitely be taking advantage of this offer. Thank you Julian.
Very cool.
Thanks Sharif. I am working with Kyle to figure out the best plan of action. Part of the delay is the machine shop (in Texas) is off for the holidays. Once they return, things will get moving again.
rrmedix
I hope everything works out for you quickly. It sucks reading all your short comming. In the end it will all be worth the hard work. My hat also goes off for taking on the build yourself.

Julian is def in the Xmas spirt!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:14 PM
rrmedicx

Thank you everyone for the support. I just want to drive the Z. I miss my car so much. Definitely suffering from withdrawl. Every time some punk pulls up in a mustang, or evo, or even another Z, I just start thinking, damn I wish I had my Z to spank this guys butt!
Soon I hope, very soon. Patience I know.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:22 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Usually spinning bearings messes up a lot of stuff... can you reuse the block and crankshaft? I would think you would have to align hone the block, resize the rods and turn the crank as a minimum. Make sure you get everything clean...

Hopefully you'll be back up and running soon...
Old 12-31-2007, 09:13 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
That has to be the most stand-up thing I have read all year.

Randy, without actually being there during the tuning process, it's going to be difficult to determine where this smoke came from. The bearings, in themselves, will not cause the smoke. To see bearings fried to copper in a short period of time, can only be two things. Oil starvation, or severe and continous detonation, that hammers the big end of the rod. The pistons Kyle used are probably pretty stout, and may not "chip", as some weaker pistons may.

Definately go with a fresh set of rings, and whatever else Kyle recommends to do. And get that turbo inspected. You will also want to pressure test your cylinder heads.

Just trust me....once an engine undergoes some trauma, I would check EVERYTHING. Best of luck!

Based on what i have heard about Juniors tuning skills, Im going with the detonation Sharif. Ther are people that say he should be banned from tuning for life..
Old 12-31-2007, 09:44 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Based on what i have heard about Juniors tuning skills, Im going with the detonation Sharif. Ther are people that say he should be banned from tuning for life..

Well i am sure J can fix the problem
Old 12-31-2007, 12:22 PM
Kenk2
Professional

So what is going on with the motor??? Are you having to pay for the work done or is Kyle taking responsibility for it..?? What are his assumptions??

Ken
Old 12-31-2007, 04:23 PM
JuniorTT

So whats the update Randy?
And where has Junior been? He replied alot to my posts then stopped all of a sudden. Did he realize he was responsible for your motor blowing??
I realized you are not really worth posting back too.. It took me 5 minutes to see that on a public forum were you can try and insult someone and make your self feel better you will post 1000 times.. but when I send you PMs you answer 1... Basically your that 1 big mouth that will talk talk talk talk... but when challenged you hide.... Or report me to the mods.. LOL!! Fair enough...

If you really want to know what I have been up to go here http://www.theshopct.com/

Or maybe pick up the February Issue of Performance Auto and Sound.. The 1000whp Is-300 that will be on the cover.. Was working on getting that done for the photo shoot down in MIAMI @ Hot Import nights... So I was a tad busy, assembling a complete 3.4ltr and redoing a complete and CUSTOM AEM wiring setup...

You know.. I already offered to show you my poor tuning... Both publicly and privately you have no response.. Your attempts at making me look bad among a crowd of peers doesn't really bother me... You can talk all the **** you want, to who ever you want.. be my guest...

You should really try and come to the shop.. Maybe if you don't have a key-board and an audience you will be humble and prove your good fellow tuner.. You do know you can be perceived as a good tuner without having to be a ***** to everyone else right? Part of being in a customer orientated business is your attitude.. Not just your "skill"

Originally Posted by 350zDCalb
to get 575 whp on 11psi on a 3.54L engine (.020 over) you would need to be running like 25+ degrees of timing in areas that should be seeing 15 degrees... woops
PM or email me and I will provide you with the Data logs... Better yet... I will post them up Wednesday when I get to my work labtop... Randy has them as well as his engine builder... No knock, low timing and boost... I think a big issue is the fixation on numbers... I don't operate the dyno, I sit in the car and tune it... If It made 575, which it didn't.. if you read through I posted it was more like 545.. which also included a broken strap on the dyno and based on a DYNO-JET CORRECTION..

Once again.. Out of respect for this forum and most importantly Randy. I will not get into this **** with Julian anymore.
Julian, just PM me... I will even offer to come down and we can put this to rest... Its really not needed and makes us BOTH look like idiots.. You have a lot more to loose on these forums than I..

Junior

Last edited by JuniorTT; 12-31-2007 at 04:45 PM.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:25 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by JuniorTT
I realized you are not really worth posting back too.. It took me 5 minutes to see that on a public forum were you can try and insult someone and make your self feel better you will post 1000 times.. but when I send you PMs you answer 1... Basically your that 1 big mouth that will talk talk talk talk... but when challenged you hide.... Or report me to the mods.. LOL!! Fair enough...

If you really want to know what I have been up to go here http://www.theshopct.com/

Or maybe pick up the February Issue of Performance Auto and Sound.. The 1000whp Is-300 that will be on the cover.. Was working on getting that done for the photo shoot down in MIAMI @ Hot Import nights... So I was a tad busy, assembling a complete 3.4ltr and redoing a complete and CUSTOM AEM wiring setup...

You know.. I already offered to show you my poor tuning... Both publicly and privately you have no response.. Your attempts at making me look bad among a crowd of peers doesn't really bother me... You can talk all the **** you want, to who ever you want.. be my guest...

You should really try and come to the shop.. Maybe if you don't have a key-board and an audience you will be humble and prove your good fellow tuner.. You do know you can be perceived as a good tuner without having to be a ***** to everyone else right? Part of being in a customer orientated business is your attitude.. Not just your "skill"

PM or email me and I will provide you with the Data logs... Better yet... I will post them up Wednesday when I get to my work labtop... Randy has them as well as his engine builder... No knock, low timing and boost... I think a big issue is the fixation on numbers... I don't operate the dyno, I sit in the car and tune it... If It made 575, which it didn't.. if you read through I posted it was more like 545.. which also included a broken strap on the dyno and based on a DYNO-JET CORRECTION..

Once again.. Out of respect for this forum and most importantly Randy. I will not get into this **** with Julian anymore.
Julian, just PM me... I will even offer to come down and we can put this to rest... Its really not needed and makes us BOTH look like idiots.. You have a lot more to loose on these forums that I..

Junior
Fair enough..
Old 12-31-2007, 06:22 PM
Glex25

Sorry to here about your situation Randy.

I'm glad you were able to find a spot to do your work.
Hopefully things gets resolved I know how much $$$ you have already put into your Z.

Now for Junior and MRC.
I need a retune since changing my BOV(APS to a HKS SSQV)/Exhaust(HKS to Greddy Evo TT)/ Test pipes to UR HFC/ MREV+ w/ 5/16th Spacer to Cosworth Plenum(still trying to get a hold of one).

Since I have a Utec and I have 2 maps from each of you on it.
I offer my car as the guinea pig for the Tuning shoot off.

Let me know whats up guys.

Last edited by Glex25; 12-31-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2008, 05:46 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by Kenk2
So what is going on with the motor??? Are you having to pay for the work done or is Kyle taking responsibility for it..?? What are his assumptions??

Ken
Well the bad news regarding the motor rebuild is the fact that the guarantee only covers machining defects. So, YES, I will have to pay for replacements parts, machining, valve job, cylinder head pressure testing, replacement rods, and possibly a replacement block and crank. Oh Yeah, thats a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ that I don't have. I am in credit debt up to my eyeballs since this car first broke, and I was hoping that a warranty might serve to help.
Looks like I'll be selling my services on 42st again.

Another Z owned victim.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 AM
Jason333
hi

Well the bad news regarding the motor rebuild is the fact that the guarantee only covers machining defects. So, YES, I will have to pay for replacements parts, machining, valve job, cylinder head pressure testing, replacement rods, and possibly a replacement block and crank. Oh Yeah, thats a lot of $$$$$$$$$$ that I don't have. I am in credit debt up to my eyeballs since this car first broke, and I was hoping that a warranty might serve to help.
Looks like I'll be selling my services on 42st again.

Another Z owned victim.
Sorry to hear that man. I know some people speculated detonation, and others other things. What does the engine builder think?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:50 AM
blueper4mancez

damn , that's sad news to hear . i hope everything goes well for you man .
Old 01-01-2008, 06:58 AM
rrmedicx

Kyle & I discussed what parts were broken and what it would cost to repair/replace. Pointing fingers never helped anyone. What helps is making progress and moving forward. No ones wins when you just blame each other.

Quick Reply: Amazing Breakthrough following DIY Build