Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: How do you feel about your car BUILT MOTORS ONLY
I love my car, and its been well worth it.
75.16%
I wish I would have kept it simple
12.74%
I would have started with a totally different platform
12.10%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 07:30 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonicspeed
Sorry man the poll was put on the front page and I voted there.
I hate being a jerk, but seriously, did you even read the title?
Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM
I1DER

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Do us a favor and refrain from posting next time...
I too voted on the front page where the question is "How do you feel about your car" . Nothing about a built car until after the vote and it links to the thread. I'm sure many stock owners did likewise and the above post intimidated them from admitting it.

BriGuyMax may not like to see these posts, but then ignorance about the results is what is sought, not how to avoid incorrect presentation and sampling it in future polls. The OP thread was clear, but the poll wasn't when it went to the home page where most people first see it.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:33 AM
taurran

Look on the "Home page". The name of the poll doesn't even specify NA builds and it's been voted on by 100+ people with non-modded or slightly modded NA cars. I doubt even 20 people that have voted have built motor FI Z's.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:36 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
I hate being a jerk, but seriously, did you even read the title?
To be fair:
If you go to the home page.. It displays the latest poll created. You don't have to see the thread to vote in the poll
Attached Thumbnails A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!-home.jpg  
Old 04-08-2008, 07:42 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Alberto
Lets not get more OT, the OP has some very good posts/answers in this thread. Its nice to see people open up and post their thoughts after going through the process.
+1, Thank you.

Thanks to those who have responded. As far as the poll results, I have a little trouble believing that the 175 people who voted are built. I guess reading the thread title was a little too much for some people....
Old 04-08-2008, 07:43 AM
XKR

16 votes and no responses, wtf?

James....

When I was deciding to go FI....I divided everyone up into brackets...The ones that did the builds themselves and the one who took their cars to the 4 or 5 top shops to have it done.

My findings were that the ones who took there cars to these shops had less of a headache than the ones that did it themselves....not all, but most.

Then I would look at the ones who did not take their cars to the track and the ones who did and also the ones who road race and like to go fast once in a while on the freeway. Also the daily drivers (To work and home)

The Luie's and Alberto's will always break a lot more than I would. That's does not mean my car is better than theirs....it just means that they are willing to push their cars to a further limit than I am willing to. I road Race...they Drag race and Luie I think does both. I don't take my car to the track anymore (The G was Banned) when I do drive it, its mostly on the freeway and one in a while I have to do a "Beat Down" to some annoying person. So that's why I said ...LOVE IT !!!!

I say do it....dont beat up on it ...and you will be fine.

So in closing ....different driving styles ...different problems. I blow off a hose....Luie blows up a Plenum

+1, Thank you.

Thanks to those who have responded. As far as the poll results, I have a little trouble believing that the 175 people who voted are built. I guess reading the thread title was a little too much for some people....
My bad James.....150 of thoses votes were mine

Last edited by XKR; 04-08-2008 at 07:49 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:01 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also realize driving style is IMO the biggest factor on issues you have/wont have. I knew getting into FI, if 2 guys out of 1000 have a problem I will be one of them. Its the way it has always been with me, Im just a cranky bastard without my car.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:06 AM
stormcrow

I also realize driving style is IMO the biggest factor on issues you have/wont have. I knew getting into FI, if 2 guys out of 1000 have a problem I will be one of them. Its the way it has always been with me, Im just a cranky bastard without my car.
i made sweet sweet love to your car this weekend... i can understand why you are cranky without her...
Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Robert_K
Didn't Go Cheap

Received 101 Likes on 75 Posts

Im just a cranky bastard without my car.
I completely understand. I picked up my Z... Drove her for four days and now I'm back in Kuwait.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13 AM
XKR

We know Berto...we know
Old 04-08-2008, 08:25 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Forged

jamez, i know you've been on the fence on what to do to your Z for the longest time... my advice to you is make your own decisions... no amount of polls or stories, horror or otherwise, will make your path anything more than what it will be... expect to have heartbreak...but also expect to have a lot of joy...

remember, the journey is more fun than the destination... this might answer your question as to why a lot of us are selling our cars...
I'm not sure "on the fence" is quite the right word (mainly because I don't even have the money to go built at the moment). Basically, as cheesey as this sounds, a lot of guys in this thread (whom I probably don't need to name) have been "inspirational" in a way with their cars. Essentially, I mean that I aspire to have cars like they have.

Now that I can start to afford a lot of this stuff, its a little disheartening to see a lot of people selling and moving on to other stuff, or seeing people have problem after problem with their cars.

Even with my brief experience with this car, I can somewhat appreciate what you mean about the whole "journey being the reward" thing. Half the fun for me was researching all the parts I wanted on my little build and then finally being able to send my car off to Forged. To be honest, I feel like I have the perfect amount of power at this point, so I'm very happy with the car.

I also feel like a lot of people get an idea of what they want their car to be, i.e. 550whp with awesome suspension and so on, and in the end so much more than they ever wanted (in a bad way). They put some much in their car, that theres just nothing else to do but spend more, and the whole project winds up not being really what the owner wanted in the first place. That statement probably doesn't make much sense, but its the best way I could think to verbalize it at the moment, so maybe some of you get it.

As far as this thread goes, I really wish only people with built motors had responded (no offense to anyone) because I get the impression that even if you have tons invested in your car with body kit, brakes, suspension, stereo, etc., its a totally different game once you go built. But whatever, too late for that now I guess.

Last edited by JAM3Z; 04-08-2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am in the heavily modded area as far as I am concerned and will be built towards the end of 08.

I voted that I would have started with another platform though.

I love the Z and it is a bada$$ car and I don't regret it. However, based on the fact that I like to build/fabricate parts for my car I would have went with some a bit cheaper that would be completely paid off.

However, since I have the car I might as well go all out as far as I am concerned. Similar opinion to what eagletanggreen stated on the first page.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:53 AM
TruBluZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also feel like a lot of people get an idea of what they car to be, i.e. 550whp with awesome suspension and so on, and in the end so much more than they ever wanted (in a bad way). They put some much in their car, that theres just nothing else to do but spend more, and the whole project winds up not being really what the owner wanted in the first place. That statement probably doesn't make much sense, but its the best way I could think to verbalize it at the moment, so maybe some of you get it.
I do agree with this. I have no regrets at all. In my case, the positives have outweighed the negatives by a lot! But, would I do it again, probably not.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:59 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by taurran
Look on the "Home page". The name of the poll doesn't even specify NA builds and it's been voted on by 100+ people with non-modded or slightly modded NA cars. I doubt even 20 people that have voted have built motor FI Z's.
I didn't even consider that when making the thread, in fact I totally forgot that polls appear on the front page.

MODS: Would it be possible to delete the poll results and create a new one with the necessary wording. I REALLY feel like this sort of info may help a lot of people.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
c3 rolling

good read, sorta depressing though :|
Old 04-08-2008, 09:07 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^the truth hurts sometimes I guess
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 AM
kcasado

I do not have a heavily built Z thats why i did not vote but like how most people start out i had a 240sx that i heavily modified, to me i modify the car to experience the headaches, its like a puzzle and to me its fun trying to figure out. In the beginning its very frustrating but in the end you feel that you have learned so much more about your car, granted the parts for a 240sx even with a swapped engine is minimal cost compared to this car but i believe the same idea still carries over. In the end i will always me modding any car i get because of the journey and not the destination
Old 04-08-2008, 09:34 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

If you're going to suggest that, maybe you should give us an idea what portion of these motors is a "ticking time bomb". If you know something is going to cause failure on a lot of builds then perhaps you should share it with the community?

Does this have something to do with your pulley post?

Lets just say, that the "Ugly Duckling" that we all made fun of, and kicked away might have been right all along, and we all got "snowed". The truth will come out soon, I am 100% sold, but I'll let Berto drop the hammer when he's ready.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:50 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Lets just say, that the "Ugly Duckling" that we all made fun of, and kicked away might have been right all along, and we all got "snowed". The truth will come out soon, I am 100% sold, but I'll let Berto drop the hammer when he's ready.
I don't recall making fun of any ducklings, but I think I may get where you're coming from. I'll look forward to hearing this.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:53 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I don't recall making fun of any ducklings, but I think I may get where you're coming from. I'll look forward to hearing this.
Time will tell...

Quick Reply: A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!