Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: How do you feel about your car BUILT MOTORS ONLY
I love my car, and its been well worth it.
75.16%
I wish I would have kept it simple
12.74%
I would have started with a totally different platform
12.10%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 10:01 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty much the lyrics of this song tells how I really feel about my Z

-------->http://youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU
Old 04-08-2008, 10:07 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I seriously cannot believe you just did that, lol. I don't know if you're being serious though...
Old 04-08-2008, 10:19 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
I seriously cannot believe you just did that, lol. I don't know if you're being serious though...
He would never tell a lie... and hurt you...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:14 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribing......
Old 04-08-2008, 11:15 AM
ttuberz
Banned

"never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down" that's so inspirational hahah
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM
jimmyloose

so yeah...

didn't read the first post for the poll and voted..

The Z would make a great street/drag car if I had way too much money to spend, but I'd rather start with an E46 M3 than a Z. More luxury
Old 04-08-2008, 11:54 AM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my car and the mods I've done to it, but at the same time I can't believe the hassle I've had to go through with it.

A new part comes out and is worshipped as the newest holy grail of parts only to find out 6 months later it causes some problem and you gotta take it off and switch it out etc or it's going to risk damaging something else

I love my car when I'm driving it, but not so much when it's in the shop and yet more money is being spent just to get it back on the road. Often the issue ends up being something totally stupid and I'm just kinda tired of that.

If I had known having a heavily modded Z would be like this, I would have just stuck with an intake and exhaust. I don't mind frequent routine maintenance, but stupid stuff unpredictably going bad or breaking every 3-6 months does bother me. Not many of my problems have been because of my FI kit though really. They've all bee due to the other aftermarket parts on my car

Last edited by sentry65; 04-08-2008 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by sentry65
Often the issue ends up being something totally stupid and I'm just kinda tired of that.
I think a big misconception is that using the best parts out there is a way to guarantee a super safe build. Having rods that are lightweight and that can handle 500whp per rod is great, but its not going to stop something stupid (but problematic) like spinning a bearing.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:03 PM
stormcrow

Now that I can start to afford a lot of this stuff, its a little disheartening to see a lot of people selling and moving on to other stuff, or seeing people have problem after problem with their cars.

I also feel like a lot of people get an idea of what they want their car to be, i.e. 550whp with awesome suspension and so on, and in the end so much more than they ever wanted (in a bad way). They put some much in their car, that theres just nothing else to do but spend more, and the whole project winds up not being really what the owner wanted in the first place. That statement probably doesn't make much sense, but its the best way I could think to verbalize it at the moment, so maybe some of you get it.

As far as this thread goes, I really wish only people with built motors had responded (no offense to anyone) because I get the impression that even if you have tons invested in your car with body kit, brakes, suspension, stereo, etc., its a totally different game once you go built. But whatever, too late for that now I guess.
problems are the name of the game... some have more than others... it's just a roll of the dice, doc... it's the rules of the game that we all accept when playing... built is by no means a guarantee and that's what a lot of people do not understand or know... i completely understand what you are saying above and i agree that a lot of people have a fixed goal and feel that reaching it should be X amount of dollars... in *most* cases this will be true... but, in a fair percentage, no amount of money will ever get the build right... i liken it to two very similar builds putting down very different numbers when dynoed...no two cars are ever the same...and no two experiences are ever the same... even when you deal with the same builder/tuner...

don't let people getting out of the arena when you're getting in deter or sadden you... just as with anything, people come and go... cars are built and sold... myself, i'm ready for an upgrade... i want something with AWD that is impressive on the inside as far as interior... to me, the Z is very spartan and leaves a bit to be desired in the wants for luxury... but, this doesn't mean that i've had problems with my car...or that i'm tired of the power level...or that i hate the looks of the Z... it's just a goal met and new one set...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:13 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^So with that said and all things considered, what would you have done differently? As is the norm when selling modified cars, you're probably going to take a big loss when you sell compared to what you spent, but that doesn't deter you from doing it all over again?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:15 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^I think the build is more important to some people than the actual finished product.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Jeremy is the perfect example for no to minimal issues. He doesnt drive it hard (at least when Im around-HA) and takes pics of it. Good for him, more $$$ in his pocket. He is the extreme good case, I am the extreme bad, most sit in between.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Fluid1

I remember going though a thread like this about 3 years ago on B15sentra .net
The responses are all the same.

I'm sure they are on every naturally N/A car in the FI car forum.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
stormcrow

^So with that said and all things considered, what would you have done differently? As is the norm when selling modified cars, you're probably going to take a big loss when you sell compared to what you spent, but that doesn't deter you from doing it all over again?
in all honesty, i would have done only a few things differently:

one - invested in a better EMS from the beginning

two - planned on being a bit more patient with the process

i've spent a boatload of money...not as much as some...but, a friggin' boatload... but, that doesn't deter me from doing it again... i'm going to spend more on the GTR...and i'm going to eventually want to mod it, as well... but, some of us are blessed enough to be able to spend the money on such frivolous things... i don't regret the monies spent...and i don't regret the loss that i'm going to take selling the car... actually, i'd rather take the loss and sell the car as she is rather than recoup more of my losses by parting her out... that's how much the car means to me as she sits...

Last edited by stormcrow; 04-08-2008 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Alberto
Jeremy is the perfect example for no to minimal issues. He doesnt drive it hard (at least when Im around-HA) and takes pics of it. Good for him, more $$$ in his pocket. He is the extreme good case, I am the extreme bad, most sit in between.
Thats a great point. Just because people have crazy builds doesn't mean they will use the cars the same. To really enjoy your car, it seems you ride it hard so to speak. Jeremy on the other hand is able to enjoy is car in a more "low-key" way. That said, you guys both enjoy (maybe ) your cars all the same.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Tyler4

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Forged

i've spent a boatload of money...not as much as some...but, a friggin' boatload... but, that doesn't deter me from doing it again... i'm going to spend more on the GTR...and i'm going to eventually want to mod it, as well... but, some of us are blessed enough to be able to spend the money on such frivolous things... i don't regret the monies spent...and i don't regret the loss that i'm going to take selling the car... actually, i'd rather take the loss and sell the car as she is because i've put so much into her than to recoup more of my losses by parting her out... that's how much the car means to me as she sits...
Very well put...GL with the GTR Jeremy.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Jeremy@Forged

i've spent a boatload of money...not as much as some...but, a friggin' boatload... but, that doesn't deter me from doing it again... i'm going to spend more on the GTR...and i'm going to eventually want to mod it, as well... but, some of us are blessed enough to be able to spend the money on such frivolous things... i don't regret the monies spent...and i don't regret the loss that i'm going to take selling the car... actually, i'd rather take the loss and sell the car as she is because i've put so much into her than to recoup more of my losses by parting her out... that's how much the car means to me as she sits...
Wanna trade cars, lol?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

For the record, my car doesnt sit at my tuners occasionally, I go back for upgrades/and or breaking parts, which is even harder for me and only makes it worse due to the distance. But I knew that going in...its a trade off. I can 100% say I am content most of the time at 525whp, other times I turned i tup 2psi and enjoyed 580whp. More than that would only be useful for the track, yet everybody wants 1000whp and have no idea the price you pay to get there, in parts, and in less longevity.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

I've been lucky enough to ride in some high whp STi's and Z's, and eventually it starts to feel all the same. So really, unless you have sick driving skills, having a 700whp car that was never engineered to have that much is probably going to be overkill. Like I said, I love the power my car makes right now on high boost.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Thinking back if I could go back Id do a basic short block, Eagle rods not Pauter, L19's not 1/2", no sleeves, and maybe even do the stock cams like Jeremy's build. That is ***** fast for the street and driven properly its 10's all day long with the right set-up. If you need faster than that buy a bike....Jeremy's car was a stock cam monster, I was very impressed when I drove it, he gets all the thrills at partial the expense.

Quick Reply: A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!