Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: How do you feel about your car BUILT MOTORS ONLY
I love my car, and its been well worth it.
75.16%
I wish I would have kept it simple
12.74%
I would have started with a totally different platform
12.10%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:35 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Considering you're driving style (aggressive, I would think) and what you do with your car (race) you would feel comfortable doing it without sleeves?
Old 04-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sleeves are a big no go now a days. Many shops make big whp with stock blocks, but how hard do they drive them on the street? Thats the kicker. I wouldnt do sleeves.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 PM
stormcrow

Originally Posted by Alberto
Jeremy is the perfect example for no to minimal issues. He doesnt drive it hard (at least when Im around-HA) and takes pics of it. Good for him, more $$$ in his pocket. He is the extreme good case, I am the extreme bad, most sit in between.
i think Jet's had it worse... *haha* but, i agree that i'm a very good example of things going right... believe it or not, though, i do actually drive my car when i take her out... i don't granny her... but, i don't try to test her limits everytime, either...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:54 PM
stormcrow

Thinking back if I could go back Id do a basic short block, Eagle rods not Pauter, L19's not 1/2", no sleeves, and maybe even do the stock cams like Jeremy's build. That is ***** fast for the street and driven properly its 10's all day long with the right set-up. If you need faster than that buy a bike....Jeremy's car was a stock cam monster, I was very impressed when I drove it, he gets all the thrills at partial the expense.
i wonder if others would be as lucky as me with no cams... i honestly feel that the stars aligned perfectly with the building of my car... and for me, it's the perfect power level... i have no desire for 700+...i already hate the traction issues i have now...

berto, let me ask you...do you think you would enjoy this process better if you had your tuner in your back yard as i do? that's one thing that i've felt VERY blessed in having... even though my car may get put on the back burner for out-of-towners on occasion, i still like knowing i'm only a few minutes drive from seeing her...
Old 04-08-2008, 02:55 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Having Sharif in my backyard or even closer than 731 miles door to door would certainly help ease the worries. I hate not being able to pop in and see whats going on, and always have to drive the broken car down, and/or spend money on a trailer, gas, plane ticket. Scheduling with work and school sucks, but its usually worth it in the end, all this car talk only makes me miss my car more! Im sure Sharif can vouch for this but I think at times I am a difficult customer, I dont do it to be a d!ck its just that I want what I feel will give me the best results with the least amount of worries at the end of the day.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish i would have kept it simple, after a ton of mods you loose the real heart and soul of the car. plus problems are part of the game, reliability goes into the toilet when you heavily mod.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
stormcrow

Having Sharif in my backyard or even closer than 731 miles door to door would certainly help ease the worries. I hate not being able to pop in and see whats going on, and always have to drive the broken car down, and/or spend money on a trailer, gas, plane ticket. Scheduling with work and school sucks, but its usually worth it in the end, all this car talk only makes me miss my car more! Im sure Sharif can vouch for this but I think at times I am a difficult customer, I dont do it to be a d!ck its just that I want what I feel will give me the best results with the least amount of worries at the end of the day.
i'm a pain in the **** customer, too... in the end, we are the client and the ones footing the bill, so what we say/want should go... granted sharif is there to guide us as (in my case) he's the more knowledgeable one, but at the end of the day, we are the ones who have to live with the decisions made...

i don't blame you, one bit, for being resolute in what you want and demanding that your goals are met... and i don't think sharif minds, either...even though he will **** and moan on occasion when i ask for something... *haha*

i truly do feel lucky... i can't imagine having to deal with all of the things you mentioned just to mod a car... i think now i have a deeper respect for true enthusiasts such as yourself...
Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

FWIW, my build is eagle rods, L19, JE pistons, stock cams, no sleeves, I plan on running no more than 550whp on my highest map. Sorry I know this is for people who are already built but I should have my car back end of this week And I feel this is the best poll I have read to date!
Old 04-08-2008, 04:54 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Originally Posted by Pun1sh3RZ
FWIW, my build is eagle rods, L19, JE pistons, stock cams, no sleeves, I plan on running no more than 550whp on my highest map. Sorry I know this is for people who are already built but I should have my car back end of this week And I feel this is the best poll I have read to date!
Sounds like a nice, simple, effective build!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Sounds like a nice, simple, effective build!
thanks man! After spending countless hours searching I felt this build to be best, I am not tracking the car and don't want more than 550whp so sleeves were not necessary. Like to give a big thank you to Alberto and Louie for the advice through the build to great sources of knowledge!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Tyler4

Congrats on your build...Yea, i know this is supposed to only be for people who are built, but i was more or less stating my mindset for when i do build motor..Which is going to be soon..
Old 04-08-2008, 05:07 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

thanks man! After spending countless hours searching I felt this build to be best, I am not tracking the car and don't want more than 550whp so sleeves were not necessary. Like to give a big thank you to Alberto and Louie for the advice through the build to great sources of knowledge!
Anytime you have any Q's just PM me...should be a fun summer in the Mid-A, eventually we will cross paths!
Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 PM
taurran

That should be just fine. 550whp is a lot of power and people around here that don't have that kind of power on tap just don't realize how fast and hard to utilize it is.

That's basically what I have except with cams and different pistons. I wish there were more readily available cam options last year when I bought it, but I'm happy with the motor and that I didn't go with something even more expensive.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Anytime you have any Q's just PM me...should be a fun summer in the Mid-A, eventually we will cross paths!
yeah man hopefully i'll make skyline this time, all I really want to do is the drive TO skyline the mountain isn't as fun and Taurren 550whp will be one map i'll most likely have three maps: 450whp, 500whp, 550whp and drive on 450 most of the time. I was going to upgrade to Haltech over my UTEC but looks like i'll end up doing that next winter.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have more into my car than I really care to admit. Was it worth it? most days yes it is. in your poll you should have added one additional choice: "It's worth it, but I would have taken a different approach"

I did my original build much too early in the game. I should have listened to my tuner and just held out for a while and enjoyed the stock block setup for a few miles. Other than that, I wasted a few bucks on N/A parts. In the end, I thoroughly enjoy the car, but there is a side of me that thinks I should have held onto all my $ and waited on a GTR. That said, I have had 3.5 yrs of fun with the car and learned a ton.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:26 PM
2005daytonaZ

wonder why guys like BamBam and Nitrouz haven't chimed in yet.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:40 PM
UMW350Z

This has been a very helpfull thread for me. I just got my method of payment for my Powerlabs single turbo kit. Luckily for me, if push comes to shove and the whole thing explodes, I a) have another car which is 100% reliable 24/7 b)am right down the street from my builder/tuner (13 miles) and c) can get Nissan OEM parts relatively cheap.

I must admit I am nervous because it is so much money to spend, but every time I get behind the wheel, all I can think of is the turbo spooling up. Despite the cost, I think it is worth fulfilling my dream I have since I was 18 (5 years ago). It is a very very expensive gamble, I am hoping for the best but in the meantime will not be completely surprised if thw worst happens. Worst case scenario I have a very very expensive paperweight on my hands for a couple months until I figure another way to get it back on the road.

Hope for the best but expect the worst...seems to be the theme of this thread...
Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
350 Rookie
Banned

Mines not built yet but wil be very soon. My motor is sitting in my garage right now. Just waiting to tear it up. Im going with L19s, eagle, CP and utec. I HAD different plans for more power but after reading this, i think i rather keep it at around 400whp.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:58 PM
Driven1
Professional

Love the car and would do it again. My car has some sentimental value to it so that plays in as well. But I love it.

It's been some time coming and it's not yet "complete" b/c I want to change a thing or 2 but my overall experience has been really memorable and enjoyable. My car has been in the shop for some time, but that's b/c I was trying something different. As it sits now I couldn't be happier though, honestly. The experience has been great and the knowledge I've gained is amazing. The guys on here have helped immensely and the quality of this forum is near priceless for enthusiasts.

As many have said... there are times when you question your sanity and toy with the idea of being "done with it" but it's the passion and love for the cars that drives us to keep going with it. In the end the "butt dyno" puts the biggest smile on your face and everything else just seems to temporarily go away.

A second vehicle is a HUGE plus.

Last edited by Driven1; 04-08-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:24 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by 2005daytonaZ
wonder why guys like BamBam and Nitrouz haven't chimed in yet.
No offense, but when was the last time you saw Nitrouz in the FI? He has an awesome car to be sure, but I get the impression he built his car just to have a sick 700whp car.

Quick Reply: A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!