Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?
View Poll Results: How do you feel about your car BUILT MOTORS ONLY
I love my car, and its been well worth it.
75.16%
I wish I would have kept it simple
12.74%
I would have started with a totally different platform
12.10%
Voters: 471. You may not vote on this poll

A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:14 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny thing is, this thread must be doing something right, as there were 3,168 views, thus far since 04-07-2008; hardly 2 days when it surfaced.

I find this post extremely interesting, as it tells you how people passionately love their Zeees and Geees. I think the polls do show exactly it that at the end of the day, a large number of owners do sincerely love their cars for what it is and what it can do.

I am certain more will sign on and share how they feel about their cars, and those who have built motors who are not responding to this post, probably they might have different motivational factors; and I would respect that right.

I love my car, and I love the fact that Vinny treats her like his own and he is taking an already good thing and making it even better.

Many of you have been doing it for a long, long time. Competition is healthy for us, as it brings out the best in people. We all, me included, have to just learn to be good losers, great sports men.

Whether it is the fastest Z in the world or not, is not the concern at all, but it is the satisfaction to see and feel it becoming closer to perfection in its own form; and that is what drives me to spend the money and have the durability and patience to go all the way.

All the best to the best, and also to the not so best

The best of the best shall be honored, and the not so best will have the opportunity next year, to be the best.

Hope to see and meet many of you this season. Happy and safe motoring to all.
G
Old 04-09-2008, 09:25 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

thawk, I didn't know you did your own stuff.It seems we have more DIYer's here than I thought. At any rate, props to you.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:36 PM
thawk408

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
thawk, I didn't know you did your own stuff.It seems we have more DIYer's here than I thought. At any rate, props to you.
Yeah I build it and sharif tunes it. Seems to have worked out really well so far.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:37 PM
iamdigital

Quite a few of us doing DIYs. If I ever finish this project I'll post a big project thread. I think I have 2 gigs of photos on the build so far and it's gonna be a wile project, Thawk, rrmedix, the badazz yellow Z (can't think of his name), and others are building up from ground. What gave me inspiration.

I will agree a bit wit Jetpilot though. When 2 of the most posted drivers on the forum with some of the baddest rides out there throw a post up that there could be problem it's making me wanna stall my build before I have a regret. Not saying that it's your obligation to tell all, show all but I'm dying to know now that somebody threw a bone

Best thread to date for me to read through btw. don't care about poll it's good to see serious conversation about going big.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:40 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by iamdigital
Quite a few of us doing DIYs. If I ever finish this project I'll post a big project thread. I think I have 2 gigs of photos on the build so far and it's gonna be a wile project, Thawk, rrmedix, the badazz yellow Z (can't think of his name), and others are building up from ground. What gave me inspiration.
The yellow car you are referring to belongs to member Jkenefic. He does a lot of eagletanggreen's wrench work too if I recall correctly. His car is very badass from what I've seen an heard.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:07 PM
Cannysage

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've had to zs. one heavily modded NA and the other one's gone through 2 rebuilding process.. My pockets are tapped out and I still don't have my z.,.. hopefully, I can feel some happiness, soon.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Nitrouz
Back to Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BamBam
We are here, but busy. I am not sure about Nitrouz, but I am really busy now.
As for the poll, I have my opinions and will keep them to myself.

I voted & in general I am not happy w/ the this setup. It has a number of good benefits, but has been MUCH more trouble then I have really have had time to manage. We have learned a lot about the engine in the last year or so, but not enough to cover the initial expense I have incurred.

If I would do it again, I would very likely leave the engine as is... and buy a totally different car. .. But that is not an option now. It has been a very educational experience. :-)
busy here too. I do pop in here and there tho.

There is a road here that I drive a lot. Pretty much 100 miles of windy mountain roads, no traffic lights, elevation changes, etc...that I enjoy greatly. I push it from time to time, and it still brings a smile to my face. Issues? Of course there are issues. But everything is resolvable.

As Brent said, we've learned a lot about the engine, and we will continue to do so as a community. Evolution is eminent, with any platform. If I pushed the same limits today as I did 2 years ago, I would have saved a lot of money and headaches, but I wouldn't have enjoyed the learning curve and helped push forward the community. It's all a trade off. Everything is. Time wise, budget wise, parts wise...etc...

A couple of interesting slogans that I've picked up over the time I've owned the Z:

- you have to pay to play.
- power, reliability, and cost.... you can have any two.

A lot of theories have been proven wrong over the past years, but these two still remain valid.

Like someone said, we do it for the journey. When that ends, remorse kicks in, and we're ready for a new platform to take the journey on. Like I'm doing myself.

Would I do it all over again? No. Because I've done it.

Would I do it all over again if I haven't done it? Yes.

Alex
Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Nitrouz
Would I do it all over again? No. Because I've done it.

Would I do it all over again if I haven't done it? Yes.

Alex
That pretty much sums up this entire thread I think. Thanks for you're input .
Old 04-11-2008, 09:40 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

We are here, but busy. I am not sure about Nitrouz, but I am really busy now.
As for the poll, I have my opinions and will keep them to myself.

I voted & in general I am not happy w/ the this setup. It has a number of good benefits, but has been MUCH more trouble then I have really have had time to manage. We have learned a lot about the engine in the last year or so, but not enough to cover the initial expense I have incurred.

If I would do it again, I would very likely leave the engine as is... and buy a totally different car. .. But that is not an option now. It has been a very educational experience. :-)

Very sorry to see the change of heart from someone like you, Brent; it would be wild if you did pick up and kept going with your Z, where it’s all going, no one knows; as I plan to do just that with mine. A couple more years and we would have an impressive collection for car show exhibitions.

When you have some time, do come back as we would like to hear about it, some of the whys and whats?

And what would be the other car if the option did present itself.

All the best
G
Old 04-11-2008, 10:24 PM
unkn0wn ryder

i love my car, how much she performs, and the power she makes.... although.... some times just some times i wish i had kept more simple or just gone with a different platform.........

but no matter what i love how my car is...... she put alot of domestics down.... lol cuz im a my area... if you arent a stang, camaro, vette, ect... you aint $#!+....... but when they encounter my Z they cant say anything.....

just my 2cents....
Old 04-11-2008, 11:14 PM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, if i wouldn't of done what i did to the Z, it would have been another car. maybe had i done a vette instead, i would prolly be sitting here with a built vette thinking "wow, those 350zs are cool, lets build one of those!".
personally i like ALL fast cars. i have had my Z nearly 5 years now, and have been thinking of getting another project or car lately. i love the car and it gets wicked attention and hauls some *****, but there is always the next one over the horizon. some of the real car guys will know what i am talking about.
unfortuneately, the car love of my life has already been spoken for which was my first car at 15 years old, a 67 camaro. that car is still in my garage and will never leave my possesion.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:06 PM
BamBam

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
Very sorry to see the change of heart from someone like you, Brent; it would be wild if you did pick up and kept going with your Z, where it’s all going, no one knows; as I plan to do just that with mine. A couple more years and we would have an impressive collection for car show exhibitions.

When you have some time, do come back as we would like to hear about it, some of the whys and whats?

And what would be the other car if the option did present itself.

All the best
G
Well let’s put it this way, it has been a long couple of years. I have done everything I thought I could to do everything right, and yet my car has not been running right for over ½ the year due to various problems. For the last 6 months it has been overheating constantly (even with all the advanced cooling mods, fans and removing the thermostats). Finally we have agreed the heads must have had it again, so the car had been towed to the shop and the engine will be torn completely down for analysis and *hopefully* it is only another headgasket and no damage to the block or heads themselves.

Honestly, unless you have 50K to throw at it, what I did I would not suggest for anyone. The fun of driving the car is completely gone. I am CONSTANTLY worrying. I should have stopped with a standard Greddy turbo kit. I loved driving the car then. 6PSI of boost and your good.

My next car will be kick *** stock… that is the plan anyway, but you never know what life will present in the future. Of course I have looked at the GTR, Z06, BMW 535xi and a Maz Spyder. But who knows. I might just stay where I am and see what the next year brings.

Good luck to everyone, but I for one generally recommend against building insane engines unless you have A LOT of $$$$$ to throw at it and have a 2nd reliable car to drive when your Z breaks (as I truly expect it will at some point and cost you a load of $$$ to fix)

I am not here to pee on anyones parade, and to be honest some people have been fortunate not to have any significant problems with their built cars, but if you start down this slope be prepared to pay and keep paying to keep it running the way you like.

Just my jaded opinion at this point.

Last edited by BamBam; 04-12-2008 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:33 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thawk408
Love my car and love every minute of driving it. If I wasnt able to do basicly all the work myself it would be a different story tho.
Completely agree 100%.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:50 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Well let’s put it this way, it has been a long couple of years. I have done everything I thought I could to do everything right, and yet my car has not been running right for over ½ the year due to various problems. For the last 6 months it has been overheating constantly (even with all the advanced cooling mods, fans and removing the thermostats). Finally we have agreed the heads must have had it again, so the car had been towed to the shop and the engine will be torn completely down for analysis and *hopefully* it is only another headgasket and no damage to the block or heads themselves.

Honestly, unless you have 50K to throw at it, what I did I would not suggest for anyone. The fun of driving the car is completely gone. I am CONSTANTLY worrying. I should have stopped with a standard Greddy turbo kit. I loved driving the car then. 6PSI of boost and your good.

My next car will be kick *** stock… that is the plan anyway, but you never know what life will present in the future. Of course I have looked at the GTR, Z06, BMW 535xi and a Maz Spyder. But who knows. I might just stay where I am and see what the next year brings.

Good luck to everyone, but I for one generally recommend against building insane engines unless you have A LOT of $$$$$ to throw at it and have a 2nd reliable car to drive when your Z breaks (as I truly expect it will at some point and cost you a load of $$$ to fix)

I am not here to pee on anyones parade, and to be honest some people have been fortunate not to have any significant problems with their built cars, but if you start down this slope be prepared to pay and keep paying to keep it running the way you like.

Just my jaded opinion at this point.
“Pee on anyone’s parade,” are you kidding me, HE-LO…its more like a wake call; we need a good spring cleaning to clear our vision; you jaded; not at all, more a reality check.

I do hear you loud and clear, Brent. I now see more clearly and understand why you have taken such an indifferent approach. It does seem as though you went through hell and back. Absolutely that could make one appear jaded, much wiser anyhow in pursuing ones dreams.

I sincerely hope that this ‘straw’ if you follow my drift, only slows you down and not stop you in your tracks. I trust that the good experiences that you had with your Z and the great people you met along the way will help speed you back up, and back into that driver seat you loved so much.

I wonder how many of you out there can actually visualize that perfect VQ35DE.

Maybe we could chat sometime in person; there could still be a way out of your doldrums, Brent.

50 grand plus, going down the tubes is not something many people can swallow, and if I were in your shoes I’d probably hurt just as bad, maybe even worst. But if you’re getting closer to that dream that would be another story.

Talk to you soon; and chin up, my friend. Thank you for sharing.
G

PS: I know what you mean, however, about sounding like you're bashing someone or something. You didn't blame anyone, in fact you did it very well, Brent, chewed down that nasty pill without spitting it back out.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:18 AM
BamBam

At this point, all I can say is, if I can afford to keep it I will. (I will probably ditch the I.C.E and run the car at the lowest possible boost setting to hopefully get some type of reliability out of this engine. Otherwise the choice is to ditch the engine and go with a new simple basic build running normal 6 PSI boost)

If not, it will have to be sold. Pretty much where it lies at this point. I can't keep throwing good $$$ after bad on this.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:18 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^very sorry to hear that, I hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:31 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

At this point, all I can say is, if I can afford to keep it I will. (I will probably ditch the I.C.E and run the car at the lowest possible boost setting to hopefully get some type of reliability out of this engine. Otherwise the choice is to ditch the engine and go with a new simple basic build running normal 6 PSI boost)

If not, it will have to be sold. Pretty much where it lies at this point. I can't keep throwing good $$$ after bad on this.
Absolutely not, to continue paying for known limitations, defects would be creating and contributing to the problems. On that score I agree with you that if the block is somehow damaged, you're better off spending the 3K on a good used block; and starting all over again. It is knowing when to stop and taking a different path that is the most difficult decision to make; it is considered as the sunk cause theory?

I may have been mistaken, but after the last big engine failure, I was under the impression that you did, in fact, replace the bad block.

That is really too bad, Brent. I wish you all the best with your new project.

Best
G
Old 04-13-2008, 11:59 AM
taurran

I guess the thing we learned here is - Unless you're ready for headaches and a lot of money spent to get things working right, keep it simple. This means a simple built motor making medium power, or a nicely set up stock motor rig.

I can totally agree with this. If you don't want to deal with problems and constant checking and/or uncertainty then leave the huge power for the guys that are a little richer and more tenacious.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i just want a safe and reliable 500whp on a built motor. i hope it works out this way for me.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:46 PM
BamBam

I did replace the other completely destroyed block and this is the new much larger, and considerably more expensive 3rd long block.

Needless to say my comment about 50k was not related to me, just a rough starting figure for someone wanting to go for big power. I have put more then enough to buy a house into this car..... I am not saying that you need to push it this far, but to have a well balanced car all things must be equal (body, interior, I.C.E, motor, brakes, suspension and drivetrain)

Quick Reply: A Poll For Built Motor Guys ONLY!