Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Overheating problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008 | 11:44 AM
GC71

Default Overheating problems

Just brought my car to the track discovered that I have a overheating problem.

Am only able to go about 2 laps before the engine oil temp hits over 120 degrees C.

Water temp is fine and I already have an oil cooler.

I am thinking of fitting an addtional oil cooler after the existing one but am concerned about having sufficient oil pressure as I already have an enlarged oil pan along with the turbos lines.

An alternative would be to also change to the rev up oil pump which I beleive can flow a higher pressure but the amount of work to do this is quite major.

Has anyone here installed 2 oil coolers and were they any issues with oil pressure?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2008 | 06:22 PM
rcdash

That's about 250 degF? Doesn't seem too bad for the track. I recall Sharif telling me he would hit 280 and run that all day long... Those turbos get the oil hot!

Running 2 oil coolers couldn't hurt I guess, but finding space is usually problematic. You could try switching to a larger oil cooler. Or you could try to reposition your current cooler right in front of the radiator fan - and make sure those fans are staying on (they may be turning off if the coolant is being kept cool).

I would just run a 15/50 weight oil and run with that.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-26-2008 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:17 AM
GC71

Thanks for the advs Dash, I was told 122C would be as high as you'd want to push it as the oil would start breaking down dramatically. This was from a Technical guy whose in the automotive lubricants industry..not sure how true that is.

As for repositioning the existing oil cooler, I'm not sure what you mean by placing it near the radiator fans? Mine are sitting infront of the intercooler which is in front of the radiator which is in front of the fans..does that make sense?..

Was thinking of the ARC one but its kinda steep and I already have one, so thought I juz add another.
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:18 AM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

what oil are you running?
Old 07-27-2008 | 06:31 AM
Mike Wazowski
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by GC71
Thanks for the advs Dash, I was told 122C would be as high as you'd want to push it as the oil would start breaking down dramatically. This was from a Technical guy whose in the automotive lubricants industry..not sure how true that is.
He obviously isn't really a technical guy. All oils are different and for someone to make a generalized statement like that is just plain stupid.

Check out this thread, it will have all you want to know about oil. Once you research it, you should be able to find the best oil for your needs, be it track, daily driving or a combination of the 2.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ysis-info.html
Old 07-27-2008 | 08:34 AM
gothchick

^^^ ownage, but true...
Old 07-27-2008 | 11:56 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by rcdash
That's about 250 degF? Doesn't seem too bad for the track. I recall Sharif telling me he would hit 280 and run that all day long... Those turbos get the oil hot!

Running 2 oil coolers couldn't hurt I guess, but finding space is usually problematic. You could try switching to a larger oil cooler. Or you could try to reposition your current cooler right in front of the radiator fan - and make sure those fans are staying on (they may be turning off if the coolant is being kept cool).

I would just run a 15/50 weight oil and run with that.
+1.....250 to 280 on the track is not a big deal. I have changed out my single oil cooler for a dual setup trying to get direct airflow. Also....I agree ....15/50 would be a good way to go with a good brand.
Old 07-27-2008 | 01:00 PM
SnyperZ

Also, not really a must, but id change the oil after driving the car that hard.
Old 07-28-2008 | 08:40 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Also, not really a must, but id change the oil after driving the car that hard.
The only way to know is to drain off a little and spend $25 to get a used oil analysis performed (Blackstone Labs will send you a kit for free, click here).

That way after you run a hard track day, you'll know just how much life your oil has left in it and whether you need to make a habit of oil changes after track days, switch to a different oil, or just keep on doing what you're doing.

Originally Posted by XKR
+1.....250 to 280 on the track is not a big deal. I have changed out my single oil cooler for a dual setup trying to get direct airflow. Also....I agree ....15/50 would be a good way to go with a good brand.
Yeah, but you're hardcore Mike. What 15/50 you using? Motul 300V? I saw a few disappointing UOAs on it and am comparing now to a mix of Mobil 1 0W-40 (2 qts) + Mobile 1 15W-50 (3.5 qts). My oil pressure sits around 60-80 now with the oil hot where it used to run 40-60. The mobile 1 15/50 seems a good bit thicker than the Motul. Good for keep oil from leaking out the turbo seals, but I was worried about the cold start lubrication so added 2 qts 0W-40 for the summer. For the winter I'll probably run straight 0W-40.

Last edited by rcdash; 07-28-2008 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2008 | 09:11 AM
XKR

The only way to know is to drain off a little and spend $25 to get a used oil analysis performed (Blackstone Labs will send you a kit for free, click here).

That way after you run a hard track day, you'll know just how much life your oil has left in it and whether you need to make a habit of oil changes after track days, switch to a different oil, or just keep on doing what you're doing.

Yeah, but you're hardcore Mike. What 15/50 you using? Motul 300V? I saw a few disappointing UOAs on it and am comparing now to a mix of Mobil 1 0W-40 (2 qts) + Mobile 1 15W-50 (3.5 qts). My oil pressure sits around 60-80 now with the oil hot where it used to run 40-60. The mobile 1 15/50 seems a good bit thicker than the Motul. Good for keep oil from leaking out the turbo seals, but I was worried about the cold start lubrication so added 2 qts 0W-40 for the summer. For the winter I'll probably run straight 0W-40.

I use Mobile 1 15W-50 in the hot season and I switch to a thinner Mobile oil in the cold season....

I agree....the Motul is thinner than Mobile....but damn that Motul cost $$$$$ I change every 1500 miles....so I wont use the Motul brand.
Old 07-28-2008 | 10:30 AM
rcdash

Yep I agree Motul is overpriced for the value it would seem, esp. w/ frequent oil changes. So, you got your 700 whp car back yet? You're going to need some serious tires, even at 305. You slipping with 700 are still going to have a tough time with my auto hooking at 450 (hopefully 550 before next ZdayZ). Unless of course you get that traction control hooked up... then no point even racing - lol.
Old 07-28-2008 | 11:32 AM
XKR

Yep I agree Motul is overpriced for the value it would seem, esp. w/ frequent oil changes. So, you got your 700 whp car back yet? You're going to need some serious tires, even at 305. You slipping with 700 are still going to have a tough time with my auto hooking at 450 (hopefully 550 before next ZdayZ). Unless of course you get that traction control hooked up... then no point even racing - lol.
Sorry for OT....

I should be able to pick it up next week. I know you and Dil will try and get a shorter runway for next even...thus making it a sure win for you two

Besides that Traction Control Unit you posted about...someone else posted about another TCU thats plug and play....could you please PM it to me? I really need the TCU now

Thx
Old 07-28-2008 | 02:29 PM
rcdash

Awesome news. That was me that posted about that plug and play unit that utilizes the stock wheel sensors (CAN bus integration I believe). I don't remember where now though... As I recall it was just a product announcement article I linked to. I have too many posts to find it easily - hmmm. Each post has a pearl of wisdom though. Well, except this one. lol.
Old 07-28-2008 | 04:49 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

250-280 is fine, as long as you are running a high quality synethic oil. We run Motul 300C 15/50 for the track, and on most of the high powered summertime street cars. Even our NA track cars when driven hard, will easily hit 250-270 range...even a little warmer.

Here is what my bearings looked like after about 15 track days, running oil temps of 280 constantly with the Motul 15/50.....bearings look PERFECT.

Old 08-07-2008 | 06:42 AM
Zquicksilver

Originally Posted by USN HM 350Z
He obviously isn't really a technical guy. All oils are different and for someone to make a generalized statement like that is just plain stupid.

Check out this thread, it will have all you want to know about oil. Once you research it, you should be able to find the best oil for your needs, be it track, daily driving or a combination of the 2.

https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...ysis-info.html

Good info...
Therefore, I think the value of Ester base oils are best realized in turbo VQ engines that see heavy track use, since they are seeing higher temps, and therefore the most important value for them is an oil’s HTHS score and extreme heat stability. Esters tend to shine in these circumstances. I think for daily-driven 350Z’s, a high Ester oil is a waste of money and not doing any favors for the engine. Of course, as I have already mentioned, a UOA should be the judge over how well an oil performs in your engine for your conditions, not speculation on base stocks.

^From Resolutes write-up...

I love Amsoil, but "add" oil now and switched to Valvoline high-mileage. I'm already wasting money on overpriced (record earnings at Mobil/Exxon) gas, why add to the insult, lol!

Zquicksilver