Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A bad situation turns good, Apology to Dave @ FT and a friendship saved

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 08:37 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR

I think Gothchick should speak to the shop owner again....even though the bashing has already started and work this out....because YOU NEVER KNOW !!! I know the response she will come back with is ..."I tried and he did not fix it or refuse to fix the problem." But to try and insinuate that Sharif does not know how to tune is just crazy.
also correct me if i am wrong.. isn't her car N/A? which would require less work than tuning F/I and if Sharif has been tuning F/I cars for so long.. why would an N/A car be a problem?
Old 08-22-2008, 09:06 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by doug
well there are needy customers and understanding customers...
That's another way of saying "high maintenance". I've never met a single woman that didn't require a lot more attention than I ever seem(ed) to have available. (No disrespect to any woman anywhere - my daughter whom I love dearly is no exception despite my best efforts trying to brainwash her as a child.) It just seems to be programmed in. I don't think many women realize that their expections are so much higher than us boys (for the most part).

I don't know what to say about the guys that are high maintenance customers. It all comes down to managing expectations. With Sharif's reputation, expectations are very high. That's tough to live up to, day in and day out.

I will say that tuning the hundreds of cells at vacuum for part throttle driving is a bear without closed loop feedback to help out. So I think I can understand where Gothchick may be coming from (for UTEC tuning, which as I recall does not have closed loop O2 feedback). It would literally take hours to days of continuous road tuning to get every cell perfect on the UTEC at vacuum (closed loop hides all the imperfections).

I would ask her sincerely if knowing what she knows now about the UTEC, if she thought any pro could tune the UTEC perfectly in a couple of hours in a single session for all part throttle conditions? I'll bet she's put hundreds of hours into the tune she's got now.

also correct me if i am wrong.. isn't her car N/A? which would require less work than tuning F/I and if Sharif has been tuning F/I cars for so long.. why would an N/A car be a problem?
I doubt she's complaining about the WOT tune. Sharif could probably do that perfectly on the dyno with his eyes closed. I would imagine the tune at vacuum / part throttle is just as finicky for NA vs FI. But I don't know that for sure...

Last edited by rcdash; 08-22-2008 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:09 AM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree...well said.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:02 AM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XKR
I think Gothchick should speak to the shop owner again....even though the bashing has already started and work this out....because YOU NEVER KNOW !!! I know the response she will come back with is ..."I tried and he did not fix it or refuse to fix the problem." But to try and insinuate that Sharif does not know how to tune is just crazy.
I didn't mean for this to turn into a bashing session, so I'll stop after this. This is all old news between me and Sharif anyway.

I agree this is good advice. And is what I tried to do, but I got stonewalled. He kept telling me everything was okay and to go enjoy my car, like I was a little girl or something… I could have sworn I had my big girl panties on that day~ Lol. There are a few threads about it from like a year or so ago. We don't talk anymore because of it. Mutual on both sides.

I never said he couldn't tune. I said he didn't put any time into my tune, and it just wasn't running right. He wasn’t willing to retune it unless I paid for another session. So I had a few local tuners show me the basics of tuning (which they were happy to do and I built some great friendships), then I immersed myself in the tuning forums and focused on UTEC specifics. Got a good idea about the inner workings of UTEC, wiped out his toon, rented dyno time, and have since fixed it myself. But yeah, I’m still pissed about my overall experience there.

Every other shop I’ve ever been to, the guys are way cool and actually happy to see a chick taking a sincere interest in their hobby & passion. I guess most GFs don't. It’s a cool dynamic for me. I don't know everything, but once they see I actually know quite a bit, it builds a rapport and respect that has kept me in this hobby... But unfortunately it didn’t happen that way at Forged.

Originally Posted by XKR
I am a multi shop Nuthugger.....

FP,GTM, MRC, PF and now fresh off my suspension list is SGP because they got rid of Thomas....so I am not just saying this because its FP
I'm really not high maintenance or a trouble maker. I have reasonable expectations when it comes to modding. I've had work done at PF, Injected, and Lethal with awesome results. Heck, AJ from PF even let me get under the hood with him to help install my headers. He was great~ And I really had fun helping out and being part of the process. :-)

I do prefer to tune my own car now that I have become so intimate with UTEC. I’m having a crate long-block built, and I’ll probably tune it after we drop it in. Of course there are some great tuners out there – George, Hal, Julian, Dave, Jeremy. I might seek a pro-tune to get a different perspective. But I agree there isn't as much going on with an NA tune compared to FI.

In my opinion, the important parts of a Part-throttle/WOT NA tune include:

MAF offsets/ Fuel
Timing
EGT
IAT
Load/TPS
Knock

Same for FI, except you're also tuning for boost, and MAP instead of MAF.

also correct me if i am wrong.. isn't her car N/A?
Yes, I’m NA. I haven’t decided if the reliability of FI is worth it to me yet. But there's lots of great info on the FI forum that applies to NA too, that's why I'm in the wrong forum. Lol~

Originally Posted by rcdash
I will say that tuning the hundreds of cells at vacuum for part throttle driving is a bear without closed loop feedback to help out. So I think I can understand where Gothchick may be coming from (for UTEC tuning, which as I recall does not have closed loop O2 feedback). It would literally take hours to days of continuous road tuning to get every cell perfect on the UTEC at vacuum (closed loop hides all the imperfections).
Very true about the UTEC 02 closed loop feedback. Although once you transition to closed loop, it’s all factory ECU at that point, so you can’t really tune for it. I'm MAF tuned BTW... But I have my open/closed loop thresholds set so low that I'm tuning for most of the spectrum anyway. I reflashed the factory ECU with UpRev's Orisis to take care of closed loop variability, as well as to lock the ECU down to one manually selectable internal map that I could tune the UTEC around. Then I spent countless hours (like 40 ~ 50 hours) exhaustively tuning UTEC for part throttle open loop, as well as WOT. That includes all the dyno and road time I put into it for different seasonal maps. I don't like the UTEC temp compensation so much, because I never did get it to work right... Just easier to tune different seasonal maps.

Of course, you get better and faster at tuning the more you do it . Once you get a basically solid tune figured out, then you start fine-tuning it. And depending on how the car is behaving, you get to the point that you know exactly where to look in the log to see what's going on. You make a few adjustments, and try to duplicate it again to see if you were able to improve it. Very tedious time-consuming back and forth, if done right. Fun though.

I would ask her sincerely if knowing what she knows now about the UTEC, if she thought any pro could tune the UTEC perfectly in a couple of hours in a single session for all part throttle conditions? I'll bet she's put hundreds of hours into the tune she's got now.
Yeah, it can’t be done in three pulls or even two hours. WOT maybe, but that’s a lot easier to tune than part throttle.

I would imagine the tune at vacuum / part throttle is just as finicky for NA vs FI. But I don't know that for sure...
Seems reasonable, it’s just long tedious work any way you look at it, if it's done right. But there’s nothing mystifying about it, just different tuning styles.

Last edited by gothchick; 08-22-2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:06 PM
XKR

I am impressed....keep up the good work and when you go FI....anyone of us on here will be willing to steer you in the right direction.

FI for me was a good move...and when you get a taste of this much boost...you will never go back especially when its trouble free.

Once again keep up the good work...we need more females in this platform.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:15 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gothchick
Yeah, it can’t be done in three pulls or even two hours. WOT maybe, but that’s a lot easier to tune than part throttle.
What's the complaint again?
Old 08-22-2008, 12:39 PM
gothchick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XKR
I am impressed....keep up the good work and when you go FI....anyone of us on here will be willing to steer you in the right direction.

FI for me was a good move...and when you get a taste of this much boost...you will never go back especially when its trouble free.

Once again keep up the good work...we need more females in this platform.
Thanks. There's a few of us out there. Lol~

Yeah, I can see where boost would be addicting. The two fastest ones I've been in was AJ's car (from PF) which was insanely fast, and Jeremy's car (from Forged), was crazy fast too. Makes me have a real appreciation and respect for boost done right. :-)

Last edited by gothchick; 08-22-2008 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:46 PM
athenG

I'm really not high maintenance or a trouble maker. I have reasonable expectations when it comes to modding. I've had work done at PF, Injected, and Lethal with awesome results. Heck, AJ from PF even let me get under the hood with him to help install my headers. He was great~ And I really had fun helping out and being part of the process. :-)
He let you play with his tools? Sorry I had to say it... lol

Great Job.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:51 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by athenG
He let you play with his tools? Sorry I had to say it... lol

Great Job.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:54 PM
XKR

Thanks. There's a few of us out there. Lol~

Yeah, I can see where boost would be addicting. The two fastest ones I've been in was AJ's car (from PF) which was insanely fast, and Jeremy's car (from Forged), was crazy fast too. Makes me have a real appreciation and respect for boost done right. :-)

My car is at FP....I pick it up next week...feel free to drop by and have them give you a ride in it...I think you will be impressed with the 850 BB...
Old 08-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Tyler4

Sharif better not finish your's before mine! Ha jk. I might see ya down there
Old 08-22-2008, 02:14 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by XKR
My car is at FP....I pick it up next week...feel free to drop by and have them give you a ride in it...I think you will be impressed with the 850 BB...
Free ride? Oh sure, playing favorites - cause it's a girl? What will she be impressed with? Oh yes, you're just showing her your 850BBs.

What's Angela's pm - going to tell on you...
Old 08-22-2008, 02:15 PM
UMW350Z

well there are needy customers and understanding customers.. there are a couple needy customers on this site who require special attention.. you being one of them.. Jet is another.. you guys are very meticulious and freak out at anything not going your way.. then there are us that are understanding.. everything doesn't go always as planned, but we understand and make provisions for it
I don't consider myself needy nor do I consider myself understanding... somewhere in between. I never ask nor have I asked for what is not due to me. If something is installed wrong, it is expected to be fixed ASAP. If something is not what was agreed upon and it is not the customer's fault, it is the seller's/shop's responsibility to fix it ASAP. Is this a fair statement?

Now that I have a finished product, things are different and I am pretty happy. I will always freak out about bad/dangerous issues, it think that is called the survival instinct.

Last edited by UMW350Z; 08-22-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM
craigo'sznprgrs

Originally Posted by UMW350Z
I don't consider myself needy nor do I consider myself understanding... somewhere in between. I never ask nor have I asked for what is not due to me. If something is installed wrong, it is expected to be fixed ASAP. If something is not what was agreed upon and it is not the customer's fault, it is the seller's/shop's responsibility to fix it ASAP. Is this a fair statement?

Now that I have a finished product, things are different and I am pretty happy. I will always freak out about bad/dangerous issues, it think that is called the survival instinct.
I have to agree with you 100%. I am the same way, but add in an enormous amount of patience. I don't care to wait if it is done correctly.

I say that and to this day, I haven't good luck with shops doing things right, with the exception of Forged (they made right on an incident around 2 years ago, actually went way beyond what they had to do). I am looking forward to dropping the car off tomorrow for what may be a ton of rehab.
Old 08-22-2008, 03:47 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Tyler4
Sharif better not finish your's before mine! Ha jk. I might see ya down there
...ok kool
Old 08-22-2008, 03:49 PM
XKR

Free ride? Oh sure, playing favorites - cause it's a girl? What will she be impressed with? Oh yes, you're just showing her your 850BBs.

What's Angela's pm - going to tell on you...
Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ohhhhh how nice... everyone is friends now! You guys going to exchange christmas cards?
Old 08-22-2008, 03:53 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by craigo'sznprgrs
I have to agree with you 100%. I am the same way, but add in an enormous amount of patience. I don't care to wait if it is done correctly.

I say that and to this day, I haven't good luck with shops doing things right, with the exception of Forged (they made right on an incident around 2 years ago, actually went way beyond what they had to do). I am looking forward to dropping the car off tomorrow for what may be a ton of rehab.

And as Dr Philthy once said..

"EVERY SHOP makes mistakes but it's how that shop handles those errors that define them"
Old 08-22-2008, 03:57 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's BS..... Some of the work these shops do is down right negligent and theres no excuse for negligent work.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:15 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
That's BS..... Some of the work these shops do is down right negligent and theres no excuse for negligent work.
Why you so angry You did not get the Christmas card I sent you

Quick Reply: A bad situation turns good, Apology to Dave @ FT and a friendship saved