Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A bad situation turns good, Apology to Dave @ FT and a friendship saved

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 04:43 PM
athenG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ToastZ
Lots of debate on this one and a few analogies that kind of fit (and I admit mine was probably the worst one, lol).

I have a good friend that is a lawyer,... specializes in IP protection, patent law, copyrights, blah, blah, blah

After my 15 minute explanation of what an EMS is, the several different types, what is a "tune" and the function of a "tuner",.. his simple words were:

"go look into the definition of a trade secret"

There are three factors that typically are common to all such definitions of a trade secret, that being:

1. Is not generally known to the public; Yes
2. Confers some sort of economic benefit on its holder, where this benefit must derive specifically from its not being generally known, not just from the value of the information itself; Tuning all follow the same principle so there is no secret
3. Is the subject of reasonable efforts to maintain its secrecy;[COLOR="red"]What secret again?[/COLOR]

I personally believe the act of "tuning a car" to "extract a higher level of performance" vs. "a competitor tuner",... fits the definition of a trade secret perfectly, therefore the need to protect it in the marketplace.

Basically, tunes are trade secrets because tuners & shop owners compete in the marketplace against each other and do not want to compete against private parties as well. In order to sustain an economic benefit, tunes are therefore to be protected if any economic benefit will ultimately be derived.

Basically, it doesn't really matter as already stated so many times I cannot believe I'm typing it again. No way would I ever try to tune my car, that's what I pay a good tuner to do, lol.

Like said in the previous post, the tuner is merely a consultant that you hire to configure your box (EMS) and nothing else. They can't do anything that a Box (EMS) is not capable of doing. The Tuning can only go so far as how much feature the Box (EMS) have. Like My router analogy, you pay a consultant to configure your box and you pay him/her top $$$ for that but you still own your box and he/she can't keep you away from it. Every consultant I have met have their own little secret to make thier system run better or efficient, that is why we hire them, we hire them for that knowledge.

I do agree with what rcdash, this thing has to be agreed upon before the tuning session begins. If the customer is knowledgeable then he can demand that the EMS is not locked and the Tuner can't prevent the owner access to his OWN EMS.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:47 PM
ToastZ

Originally Posted by athenG
Every consultant I have met have their own little secret to make thier system run better or efficient, that is why we hire them, we hire them for that knowledge.
Yes, just like KFC.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:56 PM
athenG

With all this knowledge and vinegar, then you must certainly tune your own car, yes ? Excellent for you and congratulations for mastering such an easy art as you would make it seem to be,.. after all, starting your own shop, buying your dyno, hiring your own techs,... you know, easy stuff.

I still go to the Pro for a major tune because they have more tools in their disposal for more fine tuning. Plus it is hard to tune on the street especially in NYC because I don't have space to run 100mph to tune my higher RPM. Due to the nature of Utec, I do most of the minor adjustment since there is no point of going back and pay $$ if all I have to do is retard the ignition 2-3 degrees because I'm knocking at a certain PSI and RPM.

Let us make this simple. Let say I have MRC tune my car, then I moved down south close to Sharif, now if all EMS are locked then I will have to pay for a Full tune if I want Sharif to do some minor adjustment. What Secret does MRC that Sharif doenst already know? I'm pretty sure both of their tunes are 90% close to each other, one maybe a little aggressive with the tune than the other but the principle is all the same... Hence there is no big secret.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:02 PM
athenG

Yes, just like KFC.

No because KFC has its own secret that they created or invented. A better analogy for your KFC sauce is the Code that is written in the EMS (Now that is the secret_. The Tuner didn't even the law of tuning. Read some books in tuning and you'll see that Tuner all follow the same principle so there is no Big Secret, they have their own preference coz you can achieve the same result in 2-3 diffirent ways but the end result is going to be the same because the principle is the same.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:10 PM
ToastZ

The Tuner didn't even the law of tuning.
Yes.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:23 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Let us make this simple. Let say I have MRC tune my car, then I moved down south close to Sharif, now if all EMS are locked then I will have to pay for a Full tune if I want Sharif to do some minor adjustment. What Secret does MRC that Sharif doenst already know? I'm pretty sure both of their tunes are 90% close to each other, one maybe a little aggressive with the tune than the other but the principle is all the same... Hence there is no big secret.
guess what... sharif or any other tuner is not going to give you a discount rate for a minor adjustment as you call it.. they are going to charge you the tuning fee..

and julian and sharif may have nothing to hide from each other.. but many other tuning shops.. i can tell you alot in CT.. would love to know what julian and sharif know.. they can't tune bicycle spokes
Old 08-18-2008, 05:25 PM
doug

No because KFC has its own secret that they created or invented. A better analogy for your KFC sauce is the Code that is written in the EMS (Now that is the secret_. The Tuner didn't even the law of tuning. Read some books in tuning and you'll see that Tuner all follow the same principle so there is no Big Secret, they have their own preference coz you can achieve the same result in 2-3 diffirent ways but the end result is going to be the same because the principle is the same.
if all tuners followed the same principles.. then we would all have perfect tunes.. obviously its not hte same because there are only a handfull of tuners that know how to tune properly.. alot of tuners arn't going to road tune your car for hours with headphones.. some will get you a decent dyno A/F and call it a day.. and as soon as you run it hard for a couple of months.. boom something blows
Old 08-18-2008, 05:26 PM
athenG

Yes.
lol.. so GTM figure out the Burn rate or detonation resistance of Fuel? Did Sharif discovered what timing and Engine should run? Did Function discovered what proper pulse width to use for the Injector? Did ZCar Garage discovered how Boost Map works? Answer is no... this principles and laws in tuning was already been established decades ago and some of them probably haven't been born yet.

The process of tuning is the most important here that a Tuner need to protect and not the final Map. The final map in the EMS is not the secret coz every one can get that or achieve the same result. It is how do you achieve it without Blowing the Motor... That my friend what separate the good and the bad tuner!!
Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by doug
if all tuners followed the same principles.. then we would all have perfect tunes.. obviously its not hte same because there are only a handfull of tuners that know how to tune properly.. alot of tuners arn't going to road tune your car for hours with headphones.. some will get you a decent dyno A/F and call it a day.. and as soon as you run it hard for a couple of months.. boom something blows
HHMM I'm pretty sure Sharif, Julian or even GTM had blown motor so what is their secret sauce here? Motor blows so that is the game we play...
Old 08-18-2008, 05:30 PM
ToastZ

Exactly.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:32 PM
doug

HHMM I'm pretty sure Sharif, Julian or even GTM had blown motor so what is their secret sauce here? Motor blows so that is the game we play...
some people blow more motors than often..
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 PM
ToastZ

Motor blows so that is the game we play...
Yes, motors will let go. That is the game we play. And, its expensive.

You all in, or just a spectator ?
Old 08-18-2008, 05:38 PM
athenG

some people blow more motors than often..

So what is the real secret ToastZ is saying? Ignition advance is no secret, Fuel tuning is no secret... Ever decent tuner all know this trick of the trade so what does Sharif or MRC know that Sam don't? All Good tuners know what to look for so if all of them knows it so what is the secret? Like I said I think the process is the secret and not the final map itself.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:42 PM
ToastZ

So what is the real secret ToastZ is saying?
Trust, my friend. Trust is the secret.

If you do not trust the person working on your car, tuning your car, taking your funds,... then stop. Don't post hate. Trust wins in the end. Pick a path, stick to it, don't let up.

Easy stuff, just like grade school. Except way more expensive.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:43 PM
athenG

Yes, motors will let go. That is the game we play. And, its expensive.

You all in, or just a spectator ?

Have you ever looked at a Utec Map? Trust me there is nothing special and you'll probably see 1-2 deg difference with other Shops Map. at 8 psi every map I have seen have around 11-13 deg of timing at around peak TQ. So the secret here is that one shop ran 11 deg and the other ran 13 deg? wow that is a big secret... but wait, maybe the other shop ran 13 deg because he added more fuel hence having the same effect or maybe the owner wanted more power so the tuner tuned it more aggressively Trust me there is no top secrete there.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
ToastZ

Have you ever looked at a Utec Map? Trust me there is nothing special and you'll probably see 1-2 deg difference with other Shops Map. at 8 psi every map I have seen have around 11-13 deg of timing at around peak TQ. So the secret here is that one shop ran 11 deg and the other ran 13 deg? wow that is a big secret... but wait, maybe the other shop ran 13 deg because he added more fuel hence having the same effect or maybe the owner wanted more power so the tuner tuned it more aggressively Trust me there is no top secrete there.
no, i have never looked at a utec map and never plan to.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Tyler4

I may be totally off base here but I'll go ahead and give my 2 cents. In my opinion a major reason the EMS's are locked is to protect the tune.

For example, Joe Blow goes and gets his car tuned by Sharif. He drives it for a while and everything is great, then one day he decides he is smart enough to tune his car and dives into the tune himself to add some timing or whatever...well then car blows and needless to say Joe Blow is pissed. He goes back to Sharif, blames him and demands for FP to pay for his toasted motor. Then gets on the boards and goes to town on FP. Now we all know that negative pub on the boards can hurt a shop rep.

Now I know some people are responsible/smart enough to "tweak" their car on their own but that's a hard line to draw for a tuner. He cant just lock some and unlock others or else the customer who's EMS's are locked will obviously complain. This can be solved by a discussion with the tuner before hand so both parties know what to expect.

I myself have NO problem with my tune being locked with my Haltech. For one, Sharif is two hours away and i like to bug him , and for two the Haltech map can be tweaked by Sharif on his computer and sent back to me. Anyways, there is my opinion.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:51 PM
athenG

Trust, my friend. Trust is the secret.

If you do not trust the person working on your car, tuning your car, taking your funds,... then stop. Don't post hate. Trust wins in the end. Pick a path, stick to it, don't let up.

Easy stuff, just like grade school. Except way more expensive.

So what is this has to do of locking me out of my own EMS? This goes to built motor, you dont see Engine builder lock their Engine just because they built it. As a matter of fact, you buy the engine and you can do what ever you want with it.... Oh, I guess Engine builder don't have a secret, only Tuners have secret
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
athenG

Originally Posted by Tyler4
I may be totally off base here but I'll go ahead and give my 2 cents. In my opinion a major reason the EMS's are locked is to protect the tune.

For example, Joe Blow goes and gets his car tuned by Sharif. He drives it for a while and everything is great, then one day he decides he is smart enough to tune his car and dives into the tune himself to add some timing or whatever...well then car blows and needless to say Joe Blow is pissed. He goes back to Sharif, blames him and demands for FP to pay for his toasted motor. Then gets on the boards and goes to town on FP. Now we all know that negative pub on the boards can hurt a shop rep.

Now I know some people are responsible/smart enough to "tweak" their car on their own but that's a hard line to draw for a tuner. He cant just lock some and unlock others or else the customer who's EMS's are locked will obviously complain. This can be solved by a discussion with the tuner before hand so both parties know what to expect.

I myself have NO problem with my tune being locked with my Haltech. For one, Sharif is two hours away and i like to bug him , and for two the Haltech map can be tweaked by Sharif on his computer and sent back to me. Anyways, there is my opinion.

I agree on those premise, I believe they lock EMS party so noobs don't **** it up but not because of the Secret that ToastZ think they have. But if a customer is knowledgeable then they should open it coz the owner also has right to change things if he chooses too. You guys are going of tangent here.. we are talking about Utec and there are many thing you need access for example the Boost Map or the Temp Compensation in Utec.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
ToastZ

As a matter of fact, you buy the engine and you can do what ever you want with it
Congratuatlions, yes you can. But you may have to pay someone to tune it.

Quick Reply: A bad situation turns good, Apology to Dave @ FT and a friendship saved