Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

A bad situation turns good, Apology to Dave @ FT and a friendship saved

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 05:54 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sharif is a reasonable guy - just discuss arrangements up front. He sticks to his word.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
ZU L8R
Viper Sellout

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by athenG
I know Fcon is locked too but can other authorized HKS dealer unlock it if you wanted something tweaked? I just don't see why I should have to pay for a Full tune again if I decided to go to a different tuner for what ever reason. I paid for that tune so if I just need to just do a minor tweak then I should be able to do so, of course I take responsibility if I **** things up.... JMHO My Utec is not locked so I don't know the answer to this, but can you still do some logging even if the Utec is locked? If no then that is sad I couldn't even do any logging...

Anyways glad both of you guys worked it out.
From my undertanding another tuner can tune your car but they would have to start from scratch.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:23 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Locking or unlocking is not up to the shops when it comes to the F-con......HKS does not get the shops that choice. Another dealer could unlock it but you lose the tune.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Does this mean I'm not going to die now? Or does this just mean Daves shop wont be bombed or hit by a drive by?
Old 08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
XKR

BTW.... What EMS does Doug use in his RSX ?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcdash
Sharif is a reasonable guy - just discuss arrangements up front. He sticks to his word.
I am still trying to figure put how I got dragged into this...LOL. As far as I know every tuner on this board locks their maps including me, Sam, dave, and jeremy at PF.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Blackbird CPV35

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
I am still trying to figure put how I got dragged into this...LOL. As far as I know every tuner on this board locks their maps including me, Sam, dave, and jeremy at PF.

sharif even locks the phone i just bought off of him so i cant erase the contact list!
Old 08-14-2008, 07:22 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What the hell happened to this thread.....
Old 08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged

I already explained how you got dragged in. But locking ems is really that big of a deal? I mean seriously people SERIOUSLY?
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
weelman1

I read this whole thread for nothing.....
Nice rsx...
Old 08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by XKR
BTW.... What EMS does Doug use in his RSX ?
Hondata

But the real question is....... is his tune locked?
Old 08-15-2008, 02:57 AM
z2envy

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Hondata

+1 ^
Old 08-15-2008, 04:09 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by r0mey
I thought this what an im sorry thread. Now its taken OT by doug and the crew along Larry with his normal I hate Sharif banter. What is going on?
QFT
Old 08-15-2008, 05:45 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by George@GTM
Hondata

You got to bet kidding The Hondata is locked also . I think Doug should take his tuner to court to get it unlocked
Old 08-15-2008, 05:48 AM
athenG

I already explained how you got dragged in. But locking ems is really that big of a deal? I mean seriously people SERIOUSLY?

maybe not for a Standalone because most of them can auto adjust especially the A/F. Utec is NOT the case!!! utec don't have 02 feedback so you have to really keep track of your tune and do some logging every now and then. The Temp Compensation in Utec has to be adjusted manually since you can only adjust it when you get to that temp range (by the way, I have seen Tuner leave the Temp Compensation in Utec to all "0") . If your car is tuned in the summer with utec then how can you do an adjustment in the Winter if it is locked? Or how can you log if the Utec is locked? Adjusting the Temp Compensation is easy coz you basically add or subtract a % on your fuel map so as long as your tune is spot on then the danger of ****ing things up is minimal as long as you do a small increment. I wish Utec is that easy like other full standalone that you can just tune in one day and everything will be ok from then on...
Old 08-15-2008, 06:15 AM
gothchick

Having access to my tune is a big deal for me personally being that I rent dyno time to self tune when I add new mods, etc., and do occasional road tune tweeks as well - And I've gotten quite good at it.

But I don't see a big deal in having access to a shop's pro tune as long as you have a prior agreement with the tuner that you won't publish or share their maps. Maybe even sign a non-disclosesure agreement of some kind if that helps?

Both the Tuner and the end consumer can be covered, if trust and integrity are first established.

Last edited by gothchick; 08-15-2008 at 06:36 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:55 AM
athenG

Piggy back are not really that hard to tune so why locked the Utec? there is only 11 Column in there and a Base Map is widely available to be downloaded free of charge. Now every one know you cant just slap someone's map to a another car since every car respond differently. I have seen many Utec map and they don't vary that much since they all pretty much follow the same principle. A full standalone EMS is different since you really have to tune everything from vacuum to boost. I understand the work that had to be done when tuning a Standalone but Utec is different since it is just a piggy back and there is not many parameters that the tuner has to set.

Either way if the shop wants to lock the Utec then that is their business so I'll just make sure not to go that shop. unsubscribing..
Old 08-15-2008, 07:00 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by gothchick
Having access to my tune is a big deal for me personally being that I rent dyno time to self tune when I add new mods, etc., and do occasional road tune tweeks as well - And I've gotten quite good at it.

But I don't see a big deal in having access to a shop's pro tune as long as you have a prior agreement with the tuner that you won't publish or share their maps. Maybe even sign a non-disclosesure agreement of some kind if that helps?
Both the Tuner and the end consumer can be covered, if trust and integrity are first established.
I totally disagree....

Would you give me access to your ATM pin number with a "non-discloseure" contract?? I am sure you would not. The tune is like cash to them. What happens if tne customer slips and it gets out? Sme as me slipping and running off with your cash
Old 08-15-2008, 07:01 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a big deal. I had a 13.9 AFR the other day. Is that no big deal? I shouldn't be able to adjust that myself if I decide to? The tune I paid for wasn't holding up on the track after repeated laps. I shouldn't be able to adjust it myself? I should pay for someoen to come to the track to tune my car for me when I could do it myself? Just becasue it's good for you driving your car around town looking clean and pretty doesn't cut it for some of us. And for some of us we need access to our UTEC.

No one wanted to tune my UTEC in closed loop boost control. Why? I have no idea. So when the ambient temps got hot I was not hitting peak boost. So I went into the UTEC and changed it to closed loop. Boost is now perfect. I shouldn't have the right to do that if I want to? Thanks to Jeremy Iwas not locked out of my own UTEC.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 08-15-2008 at 07:04 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 07:02 AM
XKR

BTW I am talking about the Standalone EMS...not Utech !

Quick Reply: A bad situation turns good, Apology to Dave @ FT and a friendship saved