Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SGP Racing a Scammer?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 01:31 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Fellas,

While I have been known to tread in "off topic" waters and/or delve in issues that have minor significance to Intense business, it is my policy to NOT get on the proverbial "bad side" of "THE MAN". To that end, I appreciate and respect peeps requests and offers to "fight the powers that be", IB is human after all, and therefore prone to mistakes that are all-too-human.. They remedied their mistake first thing this morning, and deeply apologized. I accepted their apology, and won't badmouth their fallibility.

On another note, pertaining to the topic of this here thread, Estes did deliver Eric's SGP-built trans (finally...)!

Onwards and upwards gentlemen.

Darrrren
Old 01-07-2009, 01:54 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
it is my policy to NOT get on the proverbial "bad side" of "THE MAN".
Old 01-07-2009, 02:19 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by JAM3Z
^Stick it to the corporate douchers turismo!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
IB Adrian
IB Staff

As Darren mentioned - it was by mistake that he was banned.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:58 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by IB Adrian
As Darren mentioned - it was by mistake that he was banned.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:17 PM
mrg1981

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, so I'd like to post an update. The issue with the car shutting off at wide open throttle turned out to be an issue with the rev limiter through Pro-EFI. I finally had my car and it was running strong and I had planned to take it to the track with slicks on Friday.

Those plans came to a screeching halt this weekend! My wife and I were taking the Z to Las Vegas for our 7th anniversary. Everything seemed fine and was running well until we got past Wickenburg. I had bottomed out really hard at the McDonald's drive-thru in Wickenburg which damaged the exhaust, down pipes, and part of the support (don't know the name). I don't know for sure if this is related, but in my mind it would be too much of a coincidence. About 50 miles out of Wickenburg, the car started to act funny. It was in 5th gear at 85 miles per hour and revving to redline. It then fell to 60 miles per hour and was still at redline. Obviously, this made me uneasy. I pulled over and called Han. We checked the trans fluid levels and they were very high. I was worried about it being low, but it was actually high. I didn't see any leaks. I let it cool for about 45 minutes and then tried to drive it in manual mode in lower gears to see if they would work. It was working fine in 3rd gear...or so I thought. I suddenly noticed smoke behind the car, so I pulled over again.

Long story short, a bearing came loose in the trans and broke the seal. The fluid was now pumping out of the transmission, so it was losing pressure. The shaft is now scarred as well as the torque converter. I am not sure who to have fix the transmission now. I couldn't reach SGP, as you'd expect.

Any ideas on what to do or where to go? I don't want to get a whole new transmission, but who could repair it for me?

FYI- It cost me over $1000 to tow the car to Kingman, AZ, store it over night, and then have it towed to Intense! I paid $240 for a cab ride to LV and then paid $125 to rent a car to return home! I am working with McDonald's insurance company to at least fix my exhaust if not the trans. I don't know what caused the damage to the trans yet.

Last edited by mrg1981; 01-08-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch....

Maybe GTM?
Old 01-08-2009, 05:41 PM
XKR

Do you guys know of a Shop in Austin called Project PTP Went by and had them add something to my car today.. Saw some of the work they are doing...first class setup....They have a 4 wheel Mustang Dyno , Body shop and speed shop ...lots of Lifts.They have this 1500whp Supra with one of the BIGGEST turbo I have ever seen I asked them to post pic...They have this fully custom FI'ed Z (not sure what turbo's it had) and also saw 2 G's that they installed APS turbos on. They are also a HKS rep and they tune the F-con and all the other EMS.

So all you guys that are having issues....its not far for you to take your car.They are spoken of very highly by people that I know.....
Old 01-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by XKR
Do you guys know of a Shop in Austin called Project PTP Went by and had them add something to my car today.. Saw some of the work they are doing...first class setup....They have a 4 wheel Mustang Dyno , Body shop and speed shop ...lots of Lifts.They have this 1500whp Supra with one of the BIGGEST turbo I have ever seen I asked them to post pic...They have this fully custom FI'ed Z (not sure what turbo's it had) and also saw 2 G's that they installed APS turbos on. They are also a HKS rep and they tune the F-con and all the other EMS.

So all you guys that are having issues....its not far for you to take your car.They are spoken of very highly by people that I know.....
They have a website/post their address/phone number info?? Wow u didnt take pics = failure on your part..
Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by mrg1981
OK, so I'd like to post an update. The issue with the car shutting off at wide open throttle turned out to be an issue with the rev limiter through Pro-EFI. I finally had my car and it was running strong and I had planned to take it to the track with slicks on Friday.

Those plans came to a screeching halt this weekend! My wife and I were taking the Z to Las Vegas for our 7th anniversary. Everything seemed fine and was running well until we got past Wickenburg. I had bottomed out really hard at the McDonald's drive-thru in Wickenburg which damaged the exhaust, down pipes, and part of the support (don't know the name). I don't know for sure if this is related, but in my mind it would be too much of a coincidence. About 50 miles out of Wickenburg, the car started to act funny. It was in 5th gear at 85 miles per hour and revving to redline. It then fell to 60 miles per hour and was still at redline. Obviously, this made me uneasy. I pulled over and called Han. We checked the trans fluid levels and they were very high. I was worried about it being low, but it was actually high. I didn't see any leaks. I let it cool for about 45 minutes and then tried to drive it in manual mode in lower gears to see if they would work. It was working fine in 3rd gear...or so I thought. I suddenly noticed smoke behind the car, so I pulled over again.

Long story short, a bearing came loose in the trans and broke the seal. The fluid was now pumping out of the transmission, so it was losing pressure. The shaft is now scarred as well as the torque converter. I am not sure who to have fix the transmission now. I couldn't reach SGP, as you'd expect.

Any ideas on what to do or where to go? I don't want to get a whole new transmission, but who could repair it for me?

FYI- It cost me over $1000 to tow the car to Kingman, AZ, store it over night, and then have it towed to Intense! I paid $240 for a cab ride to LV and then paid $125 to rent a car to return home! I am working with McDonald's insurance company to at least fix my exhaust if not the trans. I don't know what caused the damage to the trans yet.

I agree...send it to GTM

I dont understand why you think McDonald will pay for it....I know the exact McDonalds you are talking about...I stop there in that crappy Wickenburg when I go that way....but did they say they would cover it??
Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
They have a website/post their address/phone number info?? Wow u didnt take pics = failure on your part..
I know...I wanted to take pic..but they had all the cars they were working on covered up ...but they would uncover them to show me....I did not want to start taking pic's just in case they did not want pictures taken of there unfinished work....I asked them to post pictures of the Turbo's on that supra and their Shop Z they are working on.

Info...

http://projectptp.com/

PTP Motorsports
808 McPhaul Street
Austin, TX 78758
512-834-8771

Great bunch of guys

Oh yeah......They make turbo blankets....alot of different colors.......D@mn.....I got mine from Australia...so I paid 3 x as much plus shipping $%$#

Last edited by XKR; 01-08-2009 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Damn thats in Austin too... Nice!! Close to Ft. Hood..
Old 01-08-2009, 06:22 PM
XKR

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Damn thats in Austin too... Nice!! Close to Ft. Hood..
Ask for Joe...very nice guy. All those guys there are into big power....G, Z, Supra , BMW M3, Evo, Sti...

I am telling you...you have to see the SupraI am not a Supra person...but when I see a Turbo thats bigger than a motor...

Last edited by XKR; 01-08-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:03 PM
niceguyyy01

Tim at SFR does built trans' and he's right by you (I think)...he's in Socal I believe.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:07 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by mrg1981

holy crap. Are you lowered on soft springs or what? I think trans is toast but the only way 2 know for sure is to tear it down. I'd get a used one and send it off if I knew I drove it leaking for any length of time - recommend same year as your car. I love the GTM-5AT but it ain't cheap.

A gtspec bar might help to protect that area... It is relatively unprotected just behind the undercover.

Last edited by rcdash; 01-08-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:33 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn Marshall!! You should have just called me for a ride!!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:52 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by XKR
I agree...send it to GTM

I dont understand why you think McDonald will pay for it....I know the exact McDonalds you are talking about...I stop there in that crappy Wickenburg when I go that way....but did they say they would cover it??
Actually, their insurance claims adjuster already called me today. I don't know if they will pay out, but there is no way that curb is within the city's required specifications. It is total bs. I drove a rental Toyota Camry back through it on the way home to take pictures and speak with the manager. The Camry bottomed out! Total BS!
Old 01-08-2009, 08:54 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by rcdash
holy crap. Are you lowered on soft springs or what? I think trans is toast but the only way 2 know for sure is to tear it down. I'd get a used one and send it off if I knew I drove it leaking for any length of time - recommend same year as your car. I love the GTM-5AT but it ain't cheap.

A gtspec bar might help to protect that area... It is relatively unprotected just behind the undercover.
I am lowered 1" on Stance Coilovers. Not exact soft springs. it is set pretty stiff right now.

I am going to find a good transmission shop that knows the Nissan trans and see what they say. Maybe I'll get lucky and it won't be a complete waste. If it is a complete waste, I'll be getting a different brand now. If it can be repaired without too much risk of problems, I'll do that.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
mrg1981

Originally Posted by SlideFox
Damn Marshall!! You should have just called me for a ride!!
LOL. I wish I had someone's number with me nearby. I barely even had enough reception to call a tow truck and we disconnected like 5 times during our first conversation.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:55 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I know the exact curb you are talking about!! I was even worried driving over it with my SUV!! The McDonald on the right just before the turn in Wickenburg...

Quick Reply: SGP Racing a Scammer?