Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SGP Racing a Scammer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iamdigital

WHAT!!!! How much power handling ability Tim? Give us some details please. Not to go off topic but every other vendor has chimed in, this would be a good place to see what options are on the market for us 5AT guys

Technically speaking........it doubles the torque capacity so there is a 100% improvement since we have increased surface area by exactly 100%. There is a little more to it then that.Nobody else is doing anything like this at this point.I will post up some details and pictures tomorrow in a new thread.

Its time to hit the road, my 14 hour day is over and I am looking to kicking back and enjoying the rest of the night
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 PM
DaG3504TTman

Im sorry to hear what has been happening with everyone. SGP is going to get what coming to them. Karma will get them! Good luck to everyone! Im glad I didnt send my trans to them. My trans is at SFR right now!!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:01 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by TurboTim
What we are doing is way beyond using Alto clutch packs.If you machine the hub you can stuff 6 Alto clutch packs in.Thats it.We put 8 in.But I cant give away anymore secrets
Technically speaking........it doubles the torque capacity so there is a 100% improvement since we have increased surface area by exactly 100%. There is a little more to it then that.Nobody else is doing anything like this at this point.I will post up some details and pictures tomorrow in a new thread.

Its time to hit the road, my 14 hour day is over and I am looking to kicking back and enjoying the rest of the night
Forgive me Tim... Maybe I'm a bit confused. Based on our telephone conversation a little while back and what I have subsequently learned about the trans builds by Chris and Import Performance Trans... It sounds like you are all offering the same increased number of clutch plates. Both Chris and IPT are increasing the number of clutch plates for the input clutches, high/low clutches, and the direct clutches.

Also... An industry insider told me that there are only a couple companies that offer aftermarket parts for the Nissan RE5R05A auto trans and that the different shops/companies that offer a built trans are essentially all using the same parts. To my knowledge, Alto and JATCO are the only companies offering clutch packs for our trans that feature an increased number of clutch plates.

Also... I've been told that the only thing that would require machining to fit additional clutch plates would be to fit additional reverse clutches, which would only help to slow down quicker.

So I guess I don't understand what you are doing differently.

Per the report on my trans inspection by Chris, which Darren posted in this thread:

Direct Clutch Assembly

Recommendation: Replace unknown Drive Plates with Alto Performance Power Pack (Drive and Driven together as a kit). This would upgrade count of Drive and Driven plates from 6 to 8.
Input Clutch

Recommendation: Replace unknown Drive Plates with Alto Performance Power Pack (Drive and Driven together as a kit). This would upgrade count of Drive and Driven plates from 7 to 8.

Per the Import Performance Trans website:

• Additional High-Energy Input Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 33% increase in capacity
  • Additional High-Energy High/Low/Reverse Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 40% increase in capacity
  • Additional High-Energy Direct Clutches and IPT laser cut, surface treated 1008 steel plates are installed, yielding an over 40% increase in capacity
http://importperformancetrans.com/nissanre5.shtml

Here is the link to the Alto Power Packs for the input and direct clutches:

http://www.altousa.com/np136.pdf

Not trying to be an *** to you Tim. I'm just trying to understand what you are claiming above and would like you to explain or elaborate on how your trans build is significantly different from the others that are also offering an increase to 8 input and 8 direct clutch plates.

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 03-24-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:07 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Rude, just a heads up, but it appears that the IPT rebuild kit can be purchased separately and I believe (based on the IPT website) that at least some of the components are made by IPT (not Alto or Jatco). So that's another option for you even if Chris is doing the rebuild.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone do a drive-by of SGP lately?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:55 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Forgive me Tim... Maybe I'm a bit confused. Based on our telephone conversation a little while back and what I have subsequently learned about the trans builds by Chris and Import Performance Trans... It sounds like you are all offering the same increased number of clutch plates. Both Chris and IPT are increasing the number of clutch plates for the input clutches, high/low clutches, and the direct clutches.

Also... An industry insider told me that there are only a couple companies that offer aftermarket parts for the Nissan RE5R05A auto trans and that the different shops/companies that offer a built trans are essentially all using the same parts. To my knowledge, Alto and JATCO are the only companies offering clutch packs for our trans that feature an increased number of clutch plates.

Also... I've been told that the only thing that would require machining to fit additional clutch plates would be to fit additional reverse clutches, which would only help to slow down quicker.

So I guess I don't understand what you are doing differently.

Per the report on my trans inspection by Chris, which Darren posted in this thread:

Per the Import Performance Trans website:

http://importperformancetrans.com/nissanre5.shtml

Here is the link to the Alto Power Packs for the input and direct clutches:

http://www.altousa.com/np136.pdf

Not trying to be an *** to you Tim. I'm just trying to understand what you are claiming above and would like you to explain or elaborate on how your trans build is significantly different from the others that are also offering an increase to 8 input and 8 direct clutch plates.

We made some custom parts to add even more clutches to the hubs that handle the power.That is all I can really say without giving away proprietary information that could allow us to leap ahead of the other tranny builders.

Last edited by TurboTim; 03-24-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:08 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

We made some custom parts to add even more clutches to the hubs that handle the power.That is all I can really say without giving away proprietary information that could allow us to leap ahead of the other tranny builders.
You modified the drum? I know you can't say but I figure it's either that or have thinner plates made to order (which is how I believe the other folks have done it). Have you have you thought about selling a kit to the other trans builders out there that include your proprietary modifications? I think you'd reach a larger market and the community at large would benefit. Just a thought, kudos for being innovative - had no idea you had done R&D in this area. Like Rude, I thought everyone was using essentially the same high performance rebuild kits...
Old 03-24-2009, 09:16 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rcdash
You modified the drum? I know you can't say but I figure it's either that or have thinner plates made to order (which is how I believe the other folks have done it). Have you have you thought about selling a kit to the other trans builders out there that include your proprietary modifications? I think you'd reach a larger market and the community at large would benefit. Just a thought, kudos for being innovative - had no idea you had done R&D in this area. Like Rude, I thought everyone was using essentially the same high performance rebuild kits...

We might consider it.At this point,though,we need some long term testing to make sure what we are doing will hold up at higher power levels and still have the longetivity.Beyond adding clutch packs, we actually replace some of the Nissan bearings and bushings with much stronger pieces which more support on the input shaft.All of this requires machine work and we are not sure how many of the shops that do tranny's have this capability.Unfortantely though,we wil be increasing the price of the tranny build to compensate for the additonal work we are doing.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 AM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent. Tim- Start a thread with all the info. Curious to see how this turns out.

What is the car putting down right now?
Old 03-24-2009, 10:16 AM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by iStan
Excellent. Tim- Start a thread with all the info. Curious to see how this turns out.

What is the car putting down right now?

It made 500WHP but the tranny was having a couple issues. It should put down about 550-600 with the new tranny and then we can see how it holds up.Nothing crazy as far as horsepower is concerned so we wont be able to test the limits of what the tranny can handle in terms of max horsepower.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:52 PM
captj3

So when is someone going to have mark arrested? The time for sympathy is over.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:23 PM
iamdigital

It made 500WHP but the tranny was having a couple issues. It should put down about 550-600 with the new tranny and then we can see how it holds up.Nothing crazy as far as horsepower is concerned so we wont be able to test the limits of what the tranny can handle in terms of max horsepower.

Mark,

PM me a price on this tranny and make me a deal and I'll put the muthafr to the test. I was dropping over 600RWHP before and plan to literally max the boost of the Greddy TT with every supporting mod on the market I'll hope to hit 650 plus. I'm still up in the air about what I want to do in keeping the car, going to MT or staying AT. MT conversion is a bit pricey but being considered but I'd love to strut this thing and take it to the limits if you're confident in it.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:24 PM
iamdigital

Originally Posted by captj3
So when is someone going to have mark arrested? The time for sympathy is over.
I faxed over my report today. Gave it a bit more to go and decided fawk it he ain't sending me a tranny ever. Supposedly he has the paperwork done on shipping but....
Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 PM
stormcrow

i'm confused here, too. so is it 8 clutch packs or more? you said 8 above and that it was more than anyone...but, Rude shows pretty much everyone putting in 8? i was never really good at math...so pardon my ignorance here.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
niceguyyy01

Storm, I don't think it is just the 8 clutches (besides there are only one or two doing that now, most are only 6) it is a combo of the clutches and bearings and few other things that will significantly strengthen other areas of the trans that are not yet addressed by other builders.

Oh and by the way... it is my trans that he is talking about. I should get it in a couple days and get it back in the car and put some hard miles on it. I am also gonna step up the intercooler and put some more timing and should be able to get to a little over 600whp. And although that is not that much, I do beat on my stuff pretty hard so I'll keep everyone updated.

I may try bigger injectors later in the year and go for a race gas tune and see what I can lay down in an auto... could be impressive considering what it makes on pump gas and no water/meth. But right now, my injectors are holding me back.

But again, I can vouch for Tim's customer service and willingness to help. He has even taken my calls on Saturdays and Sundays when I was having issues... I was VERY impressed and still am.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:57 PM
XKR

Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
stormcrow

What we are doing is way beyond using Alto clutch packs.If you machine the hub you can stuff 6 Alto clutch packs in.Thats it.We put 8 in.But I cant give away anymore secrets
Originally Posted by niceguyyy01
Storm, I don't think it is just the 8 clutches (besides there are only one or two doing that now, most are only 6) it is a combo of the clutches and bearings and few other things that will significantly strengthen other areas of the trans that are not yet addressed by other builders.

Oh and by the way... it is my trans that he is talking about. I should get it in a couple days and get it back in the car and put some hard miles on it. I am also gonna step up the intercooler and put some more timing and should be able to get to a little over 600whp. And although that is not that much, I do beat on my stuff pretty hard so I'll keep everyone updated.

I may try bigger injectors later in the year and go for a race gas tune and see what I can lay down in an auto... could be impressive considering what it makes on pump gas and no water/meth. But right now, my injectors are holding me back.

But again, I can vouch for Tim's customer service and willingness to help. He has even taken my calls on Saturdays and Sundays when I was having issues... I was VERY impressed and still am.
i'm not questioning Tim's customer service or anything of the sort... i was merely (and continue to be) confused by Tim's statements... from the way i read it, Tim is stating that they are the first to put 8 clutchpacks in an AT... i'm just trying to clarify what he's trying to say so we all can understand... nothing more...

good luck with your trans...hopefully we can see some limits stretched and some solid new R&D...
Old 03-24-2009, 08:39 PM
iamdigital

Wonder if it's possible to stuff a 370Z AT on the back of the DE?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:49 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

The weak link in the tranny is the smaller low/high, reverse clutches.This is the third gear and it takes the most load and heat in our opinion given its size.This hub holds four factory discs and frictions.We can now put eight in here when ourselves and others were using six before.Ofcourse the other hubs get more discs and frictions but they are much larger and can handle the load and heat much better then the small guys.We could get crazy with those too but it is not really an issue. We made some other radical changes(been doing this for sometime now) by using tried and true bearings from a completly different application to support the shaft and help with lubrication. Hopefully that clarifies my statements.

Please forgive me if I dont get all the technical stuff right since I depend on one of my employees to do all the building of the trannies.It is sort of like Rocket Science to me and our guy Paul is the best of the best, period. He has been doing this for 25 years for tons of drag cars,road race cars,off road trucks,street cars,etc.......My specialty is everything else but trannies.LOL

I feel bad now since some guys on here are worried about getting there cars,parts,money,etc..... and we are talking about trannies.It was not my intenion to steer this thread completly off track, so I wont post in this thread anymore. I will start another thread as soon as I can but give me a little time since I am putting together more info and pictures and stuff, maybe even a little video, for the tranny illiterate types. LOL.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:31 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Ahh... I see. Thanks for the explanation Tim.

Quick Reply: SGP Racing a Scammer?