Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

SGP Racing a Scammer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just curious what other vendors would do in his situation.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I were you brother I would get your keys and do a "I forgot my wallet in the car" thing and then just drive away and return phone calls once a month or so and then come up with excuse after excuse why your too busy to stop by to pay. If Mark claims he will sue, invite him to go ahead and then you will file a counter claim and see who wins. I have a feeling he will just go away after that.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

^
HAHAHA

If I were a D ICK I would probably do something like that, but thing is I do have my morals. Other end, I've never said that Mark has never helped me out. He has. It's just the way things have happened that have caused me to be disgruntled regarding the over all treatment I've received over, I'd say the last 6-7 months.

I know other people on this thread have been screwed over by Mark, and I haven't defended him because I don't know every detail. I also don't doubt what others have said because my recent experience would lead me to believe that these problems are plausible. Not to mention that there is evidence posted to lend credability to their claims against SGP/Mark.

Plain and simple...... I JUST WANT MY CAR BACK ALREADY!
Old 04-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Jtran Studios
Vendor - Former Vendor

AHHHHH JR!
I told you to call me if this happened! Hit me up I will see if there is anything I can do!
Amber
Old 04-07-2009, 03:02 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

Yeah, I've just been so busy with school, work and baby that it's hard to get things done. Whenever I dropped of the part, I was told it'd be ready by Friday, and I couldn't do anything till Sat. Sat. rolled around and still no car. I was back on call at hospital on Mon. and its so hard to get a hold of Mark and Eric is playing the middle man. So now I can't do anything till Thursday.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:59 AM
escobar929

no f-ing way you should pay, it was their f-up so it should be up to them to pay for it

i would def try Cass suggestion

yet more proof that mark is a huge d-bag
Old 04-08-2009, 06:03 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe Jtran can help....
Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 AM
gotparts?

lol. we can help! jr, just give us a call bro!
Old 04-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Call JTran now!!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:20 PM
MethodRN
For Sale

I already know JTran can help! Thing is I need the car back. I already know Mark won't release the car unless I pay. Yes I can try and drag this out, but plain and simple, I just want my car back. Not to mention that I'm trying to make HIN Austin for possibly my last car show.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Take the loss then..
Old 04-09-2009, 01:09 PM
iamdigital

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Take the loss then..
you have to write it off man and get something going. it's tough trust me but i'm happier i gave up waiting for SGP to right the situation...
Old 04-09-2009, 04:49 PM
XKR

Old 04-09-2009, 05:54 PM
TurboTim
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by MethodRN
I've always liked how it's JTran "Studio" and just JTran racing or some other motorsport/tuning cliche. What Amber and Johnny are trying to do is to make each project and customer car a rolling piece of art.

Back to SGP for a second. Here's an update on my car.

Approximately 1 week ago, I received an oil control solendoid from GTM that is a crucial part of my turbo system that controls oil flow from the turbo to the oil scavange pump to pull oil away from the turbo because it mounts so low.

I originally brought the car back to SGP back around March of 2008 for a blown turbo. It was rebuilt and replaced and I paid for the rebuilt turbo and misc. parts. This was about June or July of 2008. The day I came by to pick up the vehicle, I drove it to a near by gas station and immediately there was something wrong. The car was not making any boost and a familiar sound was coming from the turbo. Unfortunately the turbo went out again with <100miles on it. It was later discovered that an oil line was twisted and pinched off. Therefore, starving the turbo of oil and blowing another center cartridge. So another turbo had to be rebuilt. Another couple of months and around August I finally get another turbo and I get to pick up the car. The car is smoking badly and running rough. I have the car for about a week but only drive it <100miles because of the smoking issue. I limp it back to SGP. Around this time is when there is a falling out between Johnny and Mark, causing Johnny to leave.

At this point it's suspected that another center cartridge has gone bad. Mark replaces the center cartride with one that he has on his shelf or at his home, I'm not sure. At this point it's around December of 2008. I ask that it be ready for January of 2009 for a car show. At this point the car is still smoking when started. It's suspected that it's just oil in the exhaust. However, oil is now being found on the intake side as well. The car is taken apart again. February rolls around and at this point, it's discovered that the oil control solenoid has been removed and lost. This is whats causing oil to back up into the turbo and leak into the exhaust and intake sides. After discussion with Mark as to how to go about what to do with the missing oil control solendoid, not much of a solution is reached.

At this point I start doing research as to how to get a replacement oil control solenoid, either from APS or suitable replacement. I get a hold of GTM and they just so happen to have a replacement. The part cost app. $200 out of my pocket. The order is placed just before February 22 and the part is received around mid March. I brought the part to SGP the day after I received it which was March 18. I asked that it be ready by end of March. I was told it wouldn't be a problem. I visit on several occassions when I'm off work and see that my car hasn't really moved while other projects are started. I try to be understanding because I know Eric is the only tech there. I finally come in on April 1st and ask when my car will be worked on. I'm told they are just waiting for a lift to be free.

The part was finally installed on April 3rd. The car was started and everything seems to be working but the car isn't running right because the battery has been dead for so long that something is up with the EMS.

Now I am being told I owe app. $700 for labor because Eric was pulled off other jobs to get my car done because I was giving them another deadline. A deadline which has not been met anyways.

Again, I'm trying to be understanding but it's rediculous. I am in no way blaming Eric for any of these delays. He's a good guy and tech, trying his best to do what's right. He has his own issues.

Sorry for the long post. Let me ask you guys and if some of the other vendors can speak up too.

Do you guys think I should be paying anything? Considering that I paid for the initial turbo and repair and that all the subsequent repairs were for things that I did not cause.

To the other vendors, if a customer brought a car to be repaired and paid for the initial repairs and in the process other things went wrong that the customer had no control over, would you make them pay for the subsequent repairs?

Would you have a customer replace a part out of their pocket that you removed and lost in the process?

From a vendors standpoint....pay up sucka.No just kidding.It is tough to work on cars and make everyone happy just because things can go wrong that are unexpected. If you do your job right though, it usually works out as anticipated. The first time you blew through a turbo, the issue should have been looked at really closely to make sure it wanst a faulty oil feed, drain line,checkvalve,pump,etc...... You should not have had to pay for 2 more turbos in less then 200 miles of driving. BS. If the shop loses a part,they should pay for it.If they scratch,ding or dent your car,they should pay for it.If they leave it outside and it gets vandalized or robbed they should pay for it.

The sh*t happens factor.....Over the course of a year, we ate a few jobs.Nobody is perfect.It is how you handle the situation. I am not the type to go and tell someone to f*ck off.

Job #1 Turbo BMW with an engine we built.After a week the customer came back blowing oil out the exhaust.We popped out the plugs and found a hole in the piston. We didnt tune it and I told the customer it was a tuning issue(the BMW guys use chips mostly).We pulled the motor and found out it wasnt a tuning issue and that there was only
.049" between the bottom of the piston and the top of the piston.Wasnt our fault, Arias dished a N/A piston so there was very little material left. We never thought to check that. We ate the labor, Arias sent new pistons. Customer paid nothing.

Job #2. Fully built automatic turbo Altima. Ran good, started to smoke and the tranny started acting funny. Required pulling the engine and found a small cut in the valve stem seal causing the smoking issue.The tranny had the clutch packs fried which we had to replace. Customer paid nothing.However, the clutch packs fried due to the brute power of this car and the clutch packs being so small,they cant take it so we told the customer if it happens again,we will not cover ithe will have to live with less boost or it will happen again.

Job #3. Auto tranny built for a shop here on the boards.When it was assembled, a sealing ring got pinched on the input shaft resulting in loss of line pressure which destroyed the clutch packs. We had to eat it and the shipping.It was bench tested too but the problem didnt occur till there was heat put through it and the plastic sealing ring gave out fully.

These are expensive jobs to eat but we had to do it because it was the right thing to do.

Its part of doing business.If you price things fairly and leave some room for the sh*t happens factor,you can actually make a living doing this and have happy customers.If you try to give away the world for nothing and something goes wrong...you end up in the poor house. LOL. I wont get into the manufacturing of parts standpoint since we do alot of that, but it is more controlled and there is alot less of the sh*t happens factor.

Now I will tell you we dont warranty engine tuning on the dyno.It is a risk that the customer is made aware of before we take the job.Too many things can happen and it is not our respsonsibility if the customer wants to take their car and make 2, 3, 4 and even 5 times as much power as it came with stock. There are too many variables.

Last edited by TurboTim; 04-09-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:58 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

Thanks Tim for the added perspective, sounds like you run one hell of a business.

So here's the deal. I get to SGP on Thursday to pick up my car around 10-11am. Car isn't ready. The car is started while hooked up to a charger. All the lights are flashing or blinking inside and outside the car. I ask what's up and I'm told that it's all because of a loose wire with my alarm. I go out and purchase a new battery and make arrangements to visity CarToys that did the alarm install.

I leave around 12-1230 to pick up my wife so she can drop me back off to pick up my car. I arrive around 1 and car is still not ready. The battery I purchased was universal so NAPA comes exchanges it out. 3pm rolls around and I'm still at SGP till Mark finally hooks up my car to the Cipher and tries to adjust my idle. I finally leave at around 330pm.

So I get in my car and there is a loud *** clicking, I'm told it's normal because the new solenoid is bigger. I'm also told that my oil pressure gauge needle will bounce in conjunction with the solenoid because the sensor is now after the solenoid. I also note that my Defi water temp gauge isn't working properly. Mark asks Eric what's up with it and they check it out, but don't fix it. I also notice that the area behind my passenger seat was taken apart, like they were trying to access the fuel tank.

During my time there I arrange to pay half of my $700 bill. Mark takes it and we agree that I'd be back on Sat. 4/18 for balance.

You'd think that this saga is over.

I get about 5 miles from SGP, drive the car on the toll road to burn off some oil that was in my exhaust making me look like Spy Hunter and suddenly I get a splash of coollant on my windshield. I immediately pull off and shut down before car heats up. Luckily I was able to pull over into gas station.

While there I check out the top half to the cooling system and can't see anything that has popped off. I call around to my friends and Johnny from JTran walks me through some possible causes and solutions. I get water into the cooling system and find water coming from the under the engine on the driver side. I can't spot where it's coming from but see a hose clamp. Amber arranges to have my car towed and instead of going back to SGP I have it towed to Overdrive/JTran up in Conroe. Then Amber and my boy Byron comes down to where im at and pickes me up and helps gets car on to the flatbed. Flatbed takes about 3hrs to get to us. I'm on my way to JTran around 7-8pm.

It's about 9pm when we get up to the shop. They move things around and get my car up on a lift. They find the problem right away, and it was a simple hose clamp that broke off. They get a new one on I'm back up and running. Johnny notes all the things that I pointed out before I left SGP, tells me to take it for a test drive before I leave. I get back and tell him what up with the car and that it's hessitating everytime I get on the gas. He takes it out and knows something else is wrong with the car. So he gets my car back on the lift and gets to work. While he's doing this I help get my buddy Byron and his 2JZ-GTE swapped IS300 back home. By the time we get back to the shop it's like 3am.

Johnny was done with my car. He reinstalled the solenoid to how the original one would have been installed and oil pressure gauge is no longer bouncing with each opening of the solenoid. Clicking sound is gone. It was found out that a relay switch for fuel pump by fuse box near the battery was wired up wrong and was doing the clicking. This was also causing the hesitation during acceleration. I take the car out and everything is back to the way it should be. I drive car home on a 1hr trip. No problems. I drive 2-3hrs from Houston to Austin for HIN, no problems. I do the same drive back and still no issues.

So lets to do the math.
1year at SGP followed by 5mile drive and already having issues.
8-9pm to 3am at JTran, followed by 300 miles of travel and no issues.

Hmmmm.....

Last edited by MethodRN; 04-13-2009 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 06:17 AM
Boostedtrack350

Glad to hear you got it going again!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:24 AM
coachk
Banned

Glad you got the car running the way it should....are you going to pay the balance to Mark? I would make Mark pay the bill for J/Tran as well(I know you can't get blood out of a rock).
Old 04-13-2009, 06:59 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow Junior... SGP FTMFL!!! You should tell Mark to shove it with regards to the remaining balance. Glad JTran took care of you and your car is running good again. Sounds like awesome customer service on their part.
Old 04-13-2009, 07:07 AM
niceguyyy01

This sounds like some serious shady business practices. Very amature-ish!! I would tell him he owes Jtran the money for fixing his faulty work. But ultimately he is going to tell you he didnt get a chance to make the situation right, therefore, he isnt going to admit anything. Sad situation, but if you take your car there, or even leave it there for work.... this is what you get. Sorry man, but ultimately this falls on you....

I am glad that you got your car back and are able to drive it now. Thank goodness for reputable shops!!!

Last edited by niceguyyy01; 04-13-2009 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-13-2009, 08:07 AM
MethodRN
For Sale

Thanks guys. Yeah not sure if I should pay that balance now. Reason why is cause I know if I don't I'm gonna be screwing over Eric, who is just doing what he's being told to do and also not being paid for a lot of the work he's doing.

As for Johnny, I am not going to hide the fact that he and Amber are very good friends of mine. However, they treat all their customers this way. This is just the type of people that Amber and Johnny are. Maybe it's because they are passionate about our lifestyle and so they have a better understanding of how their customers deserve to be treated.

Go to Overdrive/JTran and if you're their towards the end of the day you'll soon find quite a few customers begin to show up. Not to check on their cars, but just to hang out, have a few beers, maybe even grill up some food.

BTW, big thanks to the rest of the guys at Overdrive/JTran that helped out.

Quick Reply: SGP Racing a Scammer?