Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Intercooler If Filled With Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 10:37 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Confirm.... clear to delete.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:42 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by JonnyC
I have been wondering about crankcase vent setups for a while now, and it seems as though the Z community has yet to come to a consensus on what is right and wrong. There really seems to be three options though...

1.) Fully vent the crankcase (which is being advocated here)
2.) Vent one side (driver's), but allow engine vacuum to help pull fresh air through the crankcase (through the PCV w/ one-way check valve)
3.) Closed system to provide crankcase vacuum at all times.

Which is best? I'm still waiting for someone to tell me that

I know JET MECH is a firm believer in crankcase vacuum in order to provide better ring seal and increased power, but others believe that all you need to do is evac the blowby. Most people that run setup #3 use two sources of vacuum - plenum when in vacuum, and F/I inlet (s/c or turbo filter) when in boost. Thinking about it, I don't think an F/I inlet would really provide much vacuum at all considering there is a large filter right next to it acting as a huge vacuum leak.

Since I'm running the STS system, my only source of vacuum under boost is at the rear of the car (again, probably not much vacuum anyways), so I'm currently running setup #2. I was considering doing the LT-1 smog pump setup though for constant vacuum under all conditions.

Anyways - can you guys do me a favor and figure this out once and for all?
#2 is not an option. That's exactly what we have now. A vaccum source is the best if it's done correctly, but I'm looking only to aleviate my problems not get another 10whp from my 565whp engine or spend alot of money. I don't care about that.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-30-2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Havok_RLS2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looky what I found. List of old cars with vacuum pumps installed.

http://users.sfo.com/~eagle/figs/vacpump/vac.html
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Andrew...... open up the machine shop! We have work to do! Quad is the technical expertise behind this team. I'm the brains. How many people can tell you what tap you need for -AN thread sizes. He's you're man if you need something tapped!

wait a sec........you're the brains?
Old 12-01-2008, 08:30 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadCam
wait a sec........you're the brains?
ROFL!
This stands to be a great partnership...haha!
Old 12-01-2008, 04:29 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jet,

Are you opposed to running an electric vacuum pump with a boost activated switch? This is the route I am going to be taking my G, with the battery relocated in the trunk - I will have plenty of room in the O.E. battery compartment for the pump and it will be concealed.

It seems like you want to go with a simple/mechanical route, which is usually the best way anyhow

Keep us updated on your project.

Thanks for the credit go-fast, it seems we can agree on some things.

-George
Old 12-01-2008, 07:12 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
#2 is not an option. That's exactly what we have now. A vaccum source is the best if it's done correctly, but I'm looking only to aleviate my problems not get another 10whp from my 565whp engine or spend alot of money. I don't care about that.
I think option #2 is the best practical option. Having the driver's side open to atm, should minimize elevated cc pressure (to atm at most). Ventilation does work if you can create a vacuum source during boost and off boost (as per other recent threads). Positive ventilation has benefits, namely less oil extraction from the crankcase. I'll be the first to admit that finding a *good* vacuum source during boost is not trivial. The turbo compressor inlet does generate a little vacuum during boost, but may not be enough to compensate for blow by. With oil restrictors in place, I think its the best you can do without resorting to more elaborate setups (vacuum pumps, exhaust driven vacuum, etc). One other point is that regardless of crankcase pressure, oil pressure rises under load. No way around that. Oil pressure to the turbo seals may just be too high under boost. No way around this without some kind of oil pressure regulation feeding the turbos... It's a harder problem on journal bearing turbos since they require greater flow for proper operation - hard to minimize pressure and maximize flow.

Last edited by rcdash; 12-01-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:32 AM
JETPILOT

I am going to Sebring on the 14th and I will have the results concerning the changes I have made and will report the findings complete with pics and a "how to".
Old 12-02-2008, 10:28 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You don't have a spare MAP sensor that you could hook up to the valve cover piping and log, do you? That would be invaluable data, esp. since you'd be tracking the car and stressing the motor at high rpms continuously.

You might still get oil in the piping, but if CC pressure never rises above atm, then it's likely another cause (i.e. turbo seals or oil pressure)