Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Issue with stalling ...

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:20 AM
marra23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by str8dum1
I can tell you for a fact that a light flywheel doesnt cause stalling. My FW is 11 pounds and never have that problem. If you think you have an exhaust leak, who knows what else might be wrong as well.

I know all to well how such huge excitement after your build can turn into frustration, as does most everyone in the FI forum. Not much you can do but dump more money into because it has to run.

good luck getting inspected!
+1 on the flywheel. switched it out and still nothing. i ended up drilling a 2mm hole in the tb. problem fixed.
Old 05-13-2009, 03:30 AM
Car vs. Driver

I considered doing the TB hole mod ... I'm going to try and work on it this weekend. Need to pull the passenger side header off and check the gasket.

I'm thinking that it's pulling in air and tripping the O2 sensor, any thoughts on that concept?
Old 05-13-2009, 06:25 AM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya a header leak could cause it to pull in in metered, which would cause problems.

But my beater has had a cracked manifold for years (cheap chinese cast BS), but that has never affected my idle though....
Old 05-13-2009, 06:27 AM
Car vs. Driver

Pulling 1273 and 1283 codes ... most certainly related to the header leak issue. It's either cracked or the gasket is bad. I'll yank it off this weekend and see what the deal is.

Maybe one step closer ... lol
Old 05-16-2009, 08:10 AM
civic4982

17/18 us way too lean at idle. it must sound like crap. when i was playin with my utec and leaned my idle out that much, it was all breaking up and you knew something was wrong without even looking at the AF meter
you're absolutely right. I have no idea why mine is running 17 and 18 at idle.

the dealer diagnosed it as a MAF sensor problem. we replaced the MAF and still stalling and still at times running on idle upwards of 17, 18, and even past to 20 and stuttering.

I have no idea what's wrong with the car at this point. I don't have any FI or upgrades right now aside from nismo low temp t-stat, nismo headers, nismo exhaust on the drivetrain as well as a k&n drop-in filter.

will be taking it back into the dealer on monday with hopes that they'll figure it out.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by civic4982
you're absolutely right. I have no idea why mine is running 17 and 18 at idle.

the dealer diagnosed it as a MAF sensor problem. we replaced the MAF and still stalling and still at times running on idle upwards of 17, 18, and even past to 20 and stuttering.

I have no idea what's wrong with the car at this point. I don't have any FI or upgrades right now aside from nismo low temp t-stat, nismo headers, nismo exhaust on the drivetrain as well as a k&n drop-in filter.

will be taking it back into the dealer on monday with hopes that they'll figure it out.
Pretty common issue with aftermarket headers(n/a). Check my other thread on intake/exhaust section. Reset ecu resolve my problem at that time.

Your case is diff with fi cars.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:49 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i have been looking at utec's and i beleive i will stop now, and i am loving my ss box right now if that makes sense lol, no codes and no drivability issues, but i have yet to drop the injectors in which is why i am looking at different ems's..i hear good things on osiris these days guys as far as drivability and not throwing codes and 3 big time shops today say its a great option for vortech with any size pulley and larger injectors
Old 05-24-2009, 07:03 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you are already at 400 hp, i wouldnt change anything
Old 05-25-2009, 03:40 AM
Car vs. Driver

header issue fixed. There was one nut loose and another completely Missing ... WTF?
Old 05-25-2009, 10:26 AM
tylerxfire

if you are already at 400 hp, i wouldnt change anything
yeah i hear ya, but im just on 3.12 pulley and id like to make the jump to the 2.87 for the added torque and earlier boost curve in the rpm's but really i dont know if i want the hassle..what do u guys think about headers and cams? worth it or not worth it (for those who have them)..maybe ill leave the pulley and do them and retune and just do 440 cc injectors to avoid issues with large injectors..idk so many different things in my head right now and about 2k to drop somehow..
Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 AM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Car vs. Driver
header issue fixed. There was one nut loose and another completely Missing ... WTF?

damn...well thats good u found a problem but did u install them or someone else? although my old mustang used to get loose header bolts quite often even after i used locktight
Old 05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
marra23

stalling fixed?
Old 05-25-2009, 12:59 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
yeah i hear ya, but im just on 3.12 pulley and id like to make the jump to the 2.87 for the added torque and earlier boost curve in the rpm's but really i dont know if i want the hassle..what do u guys think about headers and cams? worth it or not worth it (for those who have them)..maybe ill leave the pulley and do them and retune and just do 440 cc injectors to avoid issues with large injectors..idk so many different things in my head right now and about 2k to drop somehow..
Do smaller pulley/ems and injectors first. cams and headers are pretty expensive to do it, you are looking at about 3k+ (just a labor) even install them urself, it will cost you some money. (Also don't forget about fuel and ems $)

Tyler, don't think too much bro. Just do smaller pulley and save rest of money for build motor or upgrade blower for later. After i finish this tune I'm going to save up for block or blower.
Old 05-25-2009, 05:02 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Do smaller pulley/ems and injectors first. cams and headers are pretty expensive to do it, you are looking at about 3k+ (just a labor) even install them urself, it will cost you some money. (Also don't forget about fuel and ems $)

Tyler, don't think too much bro. Just do smaller pulley and save rest of money for build motor or upgrade blower for later. After i finish this tune I'm going to save up for block or blower.
im just saying that if i did headers and cams right now instead of smaller pulley and ems, i could do them myself and get 440cc injectors instead of 600's and scale them with my ss box which wont scale the 600's properly and get retuned with that and know i am not gonna throw any codes or have issues like now.. or i may do 600's, a walbro 255, 2.87 pulley and osiris tune as of now, or possibly secondary injection with 2 added injectors, walbro 255 and a fuel return system and 2.87 pulley tuned with a emanage ultimate at holyroller.that is a setup they recommend and like to use and lets the car still run perfect and not throw any codes yet still be able to gain more fuel without huge injectors to cause cel's..ive been doing so much research on different setups the last few weeks

built shortblock will be next then some spray
Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM
tylerxfire

heres a link i have to a turbonetics z from around where i live who had ballistic and holyroller do his car with the secondary injection for ny state inspection and for drivability to remain great...with my car it would remain with the stock injectors and add most likely 2 secondary 440's ..idk well see

http://www.holyrollerdyno.com/Holyro...ody_Brown.html (the 2 750cc injectors here are only running at 30% duty cycle he just went so big because he will be upgrading to tt in the future codes and trouble free even with those big injectors because the ecu is just running off the other stock injectors..)

Last edited by tylerxfire; 05-25-2009 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Car vs. Driver

Originally Posted by marra23
stalling fixed?

Not yet, still working on the header issue. I tightened it all back down and still have a leak. THe gasket is probably blow, so I need to replace that and hopefully the leak and SES goes away so I can get the car tagged.

After that, I'll battle with the idle. Although, as I mentioned earlier, if I turn the AC on it never stalls So that's my temporary work around.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Not yet, still working on the header issue. I tightened it all back down and still have a leak. THe gasket is probably blow, so I need to replace that and hopefully the leak and SES goes away so I can get the car tagged.

After that, I'll battle with the idle. Although, as I mentioned earlier, if I turn the AC on it never stalls So that's my temporary work around.
That is pretty interesting...well dave, finally i'm going to get a retune tommorow I will shoot you a pm if i find anything with that issue.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Originally Posted by tylerxfire
im just saying that if i did headers and cams right now instead of smaller pulley and ems, i could do them myself and get 440cc injectors instead of 600's and scale them with my ss box which wont scale the 600's properly and get retuned with that and know i am not gonna throw any codes or have issues like now.. or i may do 600's, a walbro 255, 2.87 pulley and osiris tune as of now, or possibly secondary injection with 2 added injectors, walbro 255 and a fuel return system and 2.87 pulley tuned with a emanage ultimate at holyroller.that is a setup they recommend and like to use and lets the car still run perfect and not throw any codes yet still be able to gain more fuel without huge injectors to cause cel's..ive been doing so much research on different setups the last few weeks

built shortblock will be next then some spray
Is that shop told you guaranteed no light? if it is, why not go try with them? Because your main concern is not get the CEL and more power.
Old 05-26-2009, 09:17 PM
tylerxfire

Originally Posted by Chef-J
Is that shop told you guaranteed no light? if it is, why not go try with them? Because your main concern is not get the CEL and more power.
waiting on a few different quotes and weighing out a few different options..