Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Garrett GT40

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 11:22 PM
BashaZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garrett GT40

Hey Guys,
I'm looking to throw in a single turbo on my Z. I was just wondering if anyone actually has used a GT40 on their ride. I have come across one for a really good deal $600 so I was wondering if its worth it. Seems like a pretty big turbo.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 AM
*Boose*

The GT40 is an excellent turbo but mostly for built bottom ends. Try researching the powerlab GT35r kit if you have a de and start from there.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Buying a turbo is the easy part... putting together the rest of a custom kit is the difficult part. You should plan out the rest of your setup before buying, even if it is a 'good deal'.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:34 PM
BashaZ

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Buying a turbo is the easy part... putting together the rest of a custom kit is the difficult part. You should plan out the rest of your setup before buying, even if it is a 'good deal'.
Ya I guess you are right, but what would I need besides an Intercooler, Piping, some decent injectors and a blow off. I've just been looking at turbo kits, and it seems like it would cost me a lot less if I bought everything separate.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:08 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BashaZ
Ya I guess you are right, but what would I need besides an Intercooler, Piping, some decent injectors and a blow off. I've just been looking at turbo kits, and it seems like it would cost me a lot less if I bought everything separate.
Everyone always overlooks the small parts. Things like fittings, hose, couplers, clamps and tube are what will bump the price up. What will you have to move based on your turbo location and as a result what new components do you need to buy? Questions like that are what most people overlook. I am not about to say it can't be slightly cheaper than a kit, but it is a bunch of time and there are so many things that can be overlooked.

Your list above doesn't include hose couplers, clamps, fittings, engine management, wastegate, air filter, vacuum hose, exhaust/turbo flanges, fuel pressure regulator or return system (if you choose to do one), or an upgraded fuel pump.

Additional things like a boost controller, turbo timer, header wrap, turbo blanket, oil catch can, weld-in O2 bungs, wideband 02 gauges, upgraded clutch and additional gauges make the price jump even more.

From the sounds of it, a GT40 is much bigger than you need or are capable of utilizing on your car right now. I would also be intrested in how much lag it would have at low boost.

Last edited by Quamen; 08-17-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:36 AM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

If a GT40 could easily fit in a Z or G without having to modify, relocate and/or delete items (such as AC) in the engine bay, a lot more guys would be using the GT40 on our platform and there would be kits out there offering it as an option. There is a reason that PowerLab chose the 76S turbo as an option instead of the GT40.

It all depends on how much custom fab, $$$, and effort you want to invest in your project to have something that's different from the available kits.

Also... Do you have a built motor to exploit a turbo as big as a GT40?

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 08-17-2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:48 AM
BashaZ

Well, that's exactly why I threw it out there to you guys. That is the whole reason for forums right? To ask for opinions or possibly to foresee any problems, or to not make stupid purchases.

In this case, it looks like you are saving me 1 a Headache, and 2 Money. So thanks for all the info and your opinions.

And to be honest, I do not want a huge turbo like the GT40, That beast can run up to 1000HP and needs some ridiculous injectors. I don't even want to go near there. I just want a turbo that gives me and extra 40-50hp that wont break the bank. It's my daily driver, and I just want a little more pep.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:09 AM
Quamen

Well, that's exactly why I threw it out there to you guys. That is the whole reason for forums right? To ask for opinions or possibly to foresee any problems, or to not make stupid purchases.

In this case, it looks like you are saving me 1 a Headache, and 2 Money. So thanks for all the info and your opinions.

And to be honest, I do not want a huge turbo like the GT40, That beast can run up to 1000HP and needs some ridiculous injectors. I don't even want to go near there. I just want a turbo that gives me and extra 40-50hp that wont break the bank. It's my daily driver, and I just want a little more pep.
Go with a MasterPower turbo then. My friend has one for sale that can support 650hp. PM me if you want any more info on it.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:08 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

If you just want an extra 40-50whp just go with the stillen s/c.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by superchargedg
I was thinging the samething....if 50 whp is all he is looking for...why not install the top of the line Stillen
Old 08-18-2009, 08:34 AM
Reality350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Guys,
I'm looking to throw in a single turbo on my Z. I was just wondering if anyone actually has used a GT40 on their ride. I have come across one for a really good deal $600 so I was wondering if its worth it. Seems like a pretty big turbo.
Which shop was going to complete the custom setup for you?
Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM
BashaZ

Originally Posted by Reality350
Which shop was going to complete the custom setup for you?
I have a guy down here that has a custom turbo shop, he is very reputable. He has done 8-10 350's already.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
BashaZ

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Well, you are right, I could go with a supercharger, but that's not what I want. Its just not the same as a turbo. I also love the sound of a nice blow off I've never really been a supercharger guy. Otherwise I woulda just picked up the vortech.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:27 PM
frankie945

Just buy a Turbonetics kit it's the best kit on the market.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM
BashaZ

Well I was looking into that, but unfortunately Turbonetics no longer makes their 350 kit

Originally Posted by frankie945
Just buy a Turbonetics kit it's the best kit on the market.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:14 PM
frankie945

Well I was looking into that, but unfortunately Turbonetics no longer makes their 350 kit
I was pulling your leg. Don't get a turbonetics kit. Check out this link new single setup in the making. OR go PowerLAb

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...urbo-poll.html

Last edited by frankie945; 08-18-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:20 PM
frankie945

Cheapest way to make good power out of the VQ is Nitrous. I had it,,, like laughing gas it was to addictive for me so I got rid of it. But I loved the TQ nitrous gives you. It's safe if you use it the right way...
Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
If a GT40 could easily fit in a Z or G without having to modify, relocate and/or delete items (such as AC) in the engine bay, a lot more guys would be using the GT40 on our platform and there would be kits out there offering it as an option. There is a reason that PowerLab chose the 76S turbo as an option instead of the GT40.

It all depends on how much custom fab, $$$, and effort you want to invest in your project to have something that's different from the available kits.

Also... Do you have a built motor to exploit a turbo as big as a GT40?
agreed...

i guess, you coud always just use standard Pl kit piping....since its seems capable of flowing >1000whp, and bastarize a few things to fit a gt40r.....

either way, something tells me this is just turning into another 'dream' thread....
Old 08-18-2009, 07:19 PM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hey Guys,
And to be honest, I do not want a huge turbo like the GT40
I just want a turbo that gives me and extra 40-50hp

And to be honest, I do not want a huge turbo like the GT40, That beast can run up to 1000HP and needs some ridiculous injectors
yea the injectors is whats keeping me from breaking the 1000whp
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

lol

Quick Reply: Garrett GT40