Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

what do you think I need for making high hp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im sure you could find some vids of my car if you really wanted to lol...
Old 09-08-2009, 12:14 PM
350zzzgunnar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Im sure you could find some vids of my car if you really wanted to lol...
lol yes I saw those, but the are from before the rebuild, right?
Anyway it's sick I absolutely love it!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:18 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350zzzgunnar
That's sick numbers!!! and gona look awesome and I think work great w/those tires.
That is a serios setup!!! I also plan to do a swirl for fuel. It's funny that a walbro in-tank is enough though, but I know that it works. And the meth setup is so sweet, fail safe. I don't know if haltech can do such magic as your f-con, but it would be great.
One other idea I'm might use is to have one fuel cell with E85(ethanol) to use on track ony and use pump gas (and meth) on road.
Yes, the Walbro is sufficient for the in-tank pump because it is pumping the fuel to the surge tank at very low pressure. The Walbro will pump a lot of fuel with low pressure.

The SX fuel pump is tasked with handling the fuel flow to the rails at the required pressure. I'll probably be running around 43 psi. At that pressure, it will provide more than enough fuel flow. I think it is rated for 1000+ hp, which is more than I am shooting for.

I don't know haltechs that much, but it should have an input to allow you to automatically change maps. I use the Coolingmist Smart Injection controller to control the meth system. It is fairly inexpensive and extremely versatile. In fact, if I went with a NOS system (though I don't think I will need to ), I would use the Coolingmist controller to control that as well.

EDIT: CORRECTION, the Coolingmist Smart Injection controller is $159.95. imo, it is very inexpensive for the features it provides.

Here is the link: http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=1099

EDIT EDIT: The new Vari-Cool II and CMGS controllers also look very nice. One of them would replace the Vari-Cool controller at the lower right of my drawing. Here is a link to the full kit with the CMGS Controller: http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...pid=cmgsstage3 (I like that the CMGS controller fits into a standard 52mm gauge pod. )

If you look at the drawing, I have identified the wires that go to the F-CON. I assume you can run the same wires to the Haltech. I haven't played with the Haltech, but considering its popularity and the comments I have seen about it, I would be very surprised if it would not allow you to trigger map changes with an external source.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-08-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:06 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

those new CM controllers are dope, but at 250$, its on my wishlist only
Old 09-08-2009, 05:40 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
those new CM controllers are dope, but at 250$, its on my wishlist only
I really like that you can put in the gauge pod and use it to monitor the meth fluid flow using sequential LEDs and/or a 3 digit display. You also can use it to monitor boost with the 3 digit display and monitor fluid flow with the sequential LEDs. Very nice setup.

str8dum1, do you already have a controller? If not, maybe and can cut you an awsome deal on the one I have. Also, I have an extra pump that was barely used. It is rated for water, water/meth, or straight meth (many are only rated up to a 50/50 ratio). I may even have an extra tank laying around. Let me know.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-08-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

with my supercharger, the utec is just fine as my controller, but I am thinking that for a new turbo setup, I want a 2D based controller at least. esp if am going to be running like 18+gph worth of nozzles. Do you have a 200 psi pump? My 150psi might not be enough for as much flow as I need. Gotta check shurflo's website for a pressure/flow chart

Last edited by str8dum1; 09-08-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:06 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by str8dum1
with my supercharger, the utec is just fine as my controller, but I am thinking that for a new turbo setup, I want a 2D based controller at least. esp if am going to be running like 18+gph worth of nozzles. Do you have a 200 psi pump? My 150psi might not be enough for as much flow as I need. Gotta check shurflo's website for a pressure/flow chart
My controller is the previous version of the Vari-Cool. So it definitely will work. It has 2D mapping functionality, e.g., rpm and boost, etc. It even has a hose input so it can monitor the boost. I think I have the instruction manual on it. If you want to see it, PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

I don't think the pump is 200 psi, though. I'm guessing it is 150 psi. I should be going to Japtrix this week. I'll take a look at it.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-08-2009 at 06:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:41 PM
accordfreak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
My controller is the previous version of the Vari-Cool. So it definitely will work. It has 2D mapping functionality, e.g., rpm and boost, etc. It even has a hose input so it can monitor the boost. I think I have the instruction manual on it. If you want to see it, PM me your e-mail address and I'll e-mail it to you.

I don't think the pump is 200 psi, though. I'm guessing it is 150 psi. I should be going to Japtrix this week. I'll take a look at it.
I like your fuel setup. just wondering is it absolutely necessary to run a swirl tank? I was thinking of running the stock in-tank pump with an walbro inline pump and a simple return line. I'm not looking for over 600whp. let me know what you think. thanks
Old 09-08-2009, 09:56 PM
yogipower

Originally Posted by tgunsg35
+1
^ +1
Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by accordfreak
I like your fuel setup. just wondering is it absolutely necessary to run a swirl tank? I was thinking of running the stock in-tank pump with an walbro inline pump and a simple return line. I'm not looking for over 600whp. let me know what you think. thanks
For normal street driving where you rarely use the hp, the stock swirl tank with a Walbro and a fuel return system might be fine for 600 whp, although you are starting to get near the limits of a single Walbro.

The one time I got my last build out onto the track, running somewhere around 500 - 550 whp (I had the boost dropped down to 12 psi), my Walbro sucked my stock swirl tank completely dry on a few occasions. This caused me to lean out, not to mention sputter, which caused my engine to get hot. When we pulled that motor apart my piston to cylinder wall clearances were a little too large because the cylinders actually expanded, the worst ones over .002". That is not a desirable situation.

I am using the external swirl tank in addition to the stock swirl tank. That way, if I suck the stock swirl tank dry on a long straight, I'll have reserve fuel in the external swirl tank - It's about 1.6 liters. When I slow down for the turns, the fuel system should have time to completely re-fill both swirl tanks before the next long straight (at least that's the way it is supposed to work. ).

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-08-2009 at 10:40 PM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:06 AM
BrianLG35C

Next year, after my tires wear out, I am going to have my wheels and fenders widened 2 - 2.5", and stick 345/30 R19's on the back and 315/30 R19's on the front.
I'm in for pics of that.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:46 AM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

For normal street driving where you rarely use the hp, the stock swirl tank with a Walbro and a fuel return system might be fine for 600 whp, although you are starting to get near the limits of a single Walbro.

The one time I got my last build out onto the track, running somewhere around 500 - 550 whp (I had the boost dropped down to 12 psi), my Walbro sucked my stock swirl tank completely dry on a few occasions. This caused me to lean out, not to mention sputter, which caused my engine to get hot. When we pulled that motor apart my piston to cylinder wall clearances were a little too large because the cylinders actually expanded, the worst ones over .002". That is not a desirable situation.
Terry, do you feel the lean condition at 12 psi was due to lateral G forces (with a low tank?) or extended periods of boost? Did you notice or log an actual drop in fuel pressure?

Last edited by rcdash; 09-09-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Originally Posted by rcdash
Terry, do you feel the lean condition at 12 psi was due to lateral G forces (with a low tank?) or extended periods of boost? Did you notice or log an actual drop in fuel pressure?
Both.

I completely filled the tank before the first session, and again after the second session. I ran into the same issue in each and every session, regardless of fuel tank level.

The reason I beleive that I was sucking the stock swirl tank dry was because it was happening at the end of long straights when I was wide open throttle throughout the straight. My AFR would jump up toward the end of the straight, meaning lack of fuel. I had a CJ Motorsports Stage 2 FRS with a Walbro 255, so that aspect was covered.

When I was really moving through some sections, it would also happen toward the end of a turn, so G forces also were an issue. That's why I put baffles in the external surge tank.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 09-09-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:00 AM
350zzzgunnar

Yes, the Walbro is sufficient for the in-tank pump because it is pumping the fuel to the surge tank at very low pressure. The Walbro will pump a lot of fuel with low pressure.

The SX fuel pump is tasked with handling the fuel flow to the rails at the required pressure. I'll probably be running around 43 psi. At that pressure, it will provide more than enough fuel flow. I think it is rated for 1000+ hp, which is more than I am shooting for.

I don't know haltechs that much, but it should have an input to allow you to automatically change maps. I use the Coolingmist Smart Injection controller to control the meth system. It is fairly inexpensive and extremely versatile. In fact, if I went with a NOS system (though I don't think I will need to ), I would use the Coolingmist controller to control that as well.

EDIT: CORRECTION, the Coolingmist Smart Injection controller is $159.95. imo, it is very inexpensive for the features it provides.

Here is the link: http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmain.aspx?pid=1099

EDIT EDIT: The new Vari-Cool II and CMGS controllers also look very nice. One of them would replace the Vari-Cool controller at the lower right of my drawing. Here is a link to the full kit with the CMGS Controller: http://www.coolingmist.com/detailmai...pid=cmgsstage3 (I like that the CMGS controller fits into a standard 52mm gauge pod. )

If you look at the drawing, I have identified the wires that go to the F-CON. I assume you can run the same wires to the Haltech. I haven't played with the Haltech, but considering its popularity and the comments I have seen about it, I would be very surprised if it would not allow you to trigger map changes with an external source.
That's great help, thanx I think Haltech can do the same.
I'm trying to do some basic research now so I can get the parts and begin in 1-2months. Right now I work around the clock to get the money for it, but I don't have the time or energy to read a lot and learn it all.
I can't say I know exactly what a water/meth injection setup does.
Where did you get the swirl tank?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:59 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

I can't say I know exactly what a water/meth injection setup does.
It injects water, methanol or a water-methanol mixture into your engine. It mixes with the intake air/fuel and inhibits detonation/pre-ignition to a certain extent, thereby allowing you to run more boost and/or advance your timing, thus giving you more hp.

Where did you get the swirl tank?
I had a friend make it. He owns a metal fabrication shop.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:22 AM
zerosec

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice setup !
i strongly recommend a water injection kit along with a good set of cams and valve springs
Old 09-10-2009, 04:59 AM
350zzzgunnar

Thanx!
Yes you right, I'll go for water/meth injetion.
I'm also having cams, Cosworth intake, 950cc Deatschwerk fuel incetors, swirl tank, porting and possibly doing the valves and seats.

What about drivetrain? OS Giken or Carbonetic? Better diff?
Old 09-10-2009, 05:49 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Quaife is the best diff period. Fully gear driven with zero binding. Have the gears swapped to the longer 3.3 gears from an auto trans and you are all set there.

Carbonetics has a good reputation, I would say at least a twin disk setup or just get the triple if you want to do it once and just not have to worry about it.

Just a heads up, never post pics of a girl in a build thread or you will derail your thread for sure....... we are easily distracted.

Last edited by Cass007; 09-10-2009 at 05:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:54 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What cams you plan on running OP?
Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 AM
350zzzgunnar

Originally Posted by Cass007
Quaife is the best diff period. Fully gear driven with zero binding. Have the gears swapped to the longer 3.3 gears from an auto trans and you are all set there.

Carbonetics has a good reputation, I would say at least a twin disk setup or just get the triple if you want to do it once and just not have to worry about it.

Just a heads up, never post pics of a girl in a build thread or you will derail your thread for sure....... we are easily distracted.
Ok, so I should swap the final gear?

Just not sure about how durable they are or if the Carbonetics needs some special treatment

Hehe got it, we're just men

[/QUOTE]Alberto What cams you plan on running OP?[/QUOTE]
Not sure yet. Got to do some more research and thinking I want both high rpm's and power and that's the problem.

Quick Reply: what do you think I need for making high hp?